All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:58 pm

Little Darlin wrote:
Mike S wrote:It's finally made it onto the site---now showing under 'Latest Review.'

I can't see it...it still says Let it Roll for me.

If you go to the home page, you will see around 5 'links,' in the centre of the screen. Click on the 'Latest Review' link and you'll find it there.

Incidentally, the order of these links (along with the revised date at the top) will indicate whenever the site has been updated.

Happy reading.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:01 pm

Mike S wrote:
Little Darlin wrote:
Mike S wrote:It's finally made it onto the site---now showing under 'Latest Review.'

I can't see it...it still says Let it Roll for me.

If you go to the home page, you will see around 5 'links,' in the centre of the screen. Click on the 'Latest Review' link and you'll find it there.

Incidentally, the order of these links (along with the revised date at the top) will indicate whenever the site has been updated.

Happy reading.

Great read Mike, thanks! What a night that was at the Hilton!

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:03 pm

"If he wants to shake my hand, fine. But if he wants to get tough, I'll whoop his ass!"

Simply one of the best quotes ever! :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:14 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:"If he wants to shake my hand, fine. But if he wants to get tough, I'll whoop his ass!"

Keith Richards, Jr.

The man came up with some classic lines didn't he! At least EP didn't grab J.D. to shield him, instead he planted that size 12 boot right into the guy's kisser! :)

Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:21 pm

Fantastic review I can't wait to get it.

I was looking in the wrong place!!! Thanks for the review and directions :wink:

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:00 pm

Mike S,

Your reviews are excellent. Keep up the great work. :smt023

Rob. :smt025

Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:12 pm

excellent review as always Mike :smt023

Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:37 pm

stefan kock wrote:excellent review as always Mike :smt023

Thanks everybody for your comments and especially to you Stefan for taking the trouble to post this kind comment after our earlier exchange!!

Please be assured that my original question was only a bit of fun, which simply served to give me an indication of who reads them.

I'll take this opportunity to announce that my next review will follow shortly...it's the new Madison--Closing Night!

Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:42 pm

Mike S wrote:
stefan kock wrote:excellent review as always Mike :smt023

Thanks everybody for your comments and especially to you Stefan for taking the trouble to post this kind comment after our earlier exchange!!

We may have disagreed with eachother, but the quality of your reviews was never the point. When I disagree with something I say so, when I find something excellent I say it too.

Keep up the great work Mike :smt023

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:10 pm

Excellent review, many thanks! Looking forward to the next one...

Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:28 am

VERY thorough review Mike and (as usual) excellent! :lol:

Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:10 am

I second what everybody else is saying. Really a great review :D Thanks much. Can't wait for your review of the new Madison "Closing Night". Will be great to know how much the sound has improved.

Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:49 am

A final thank you to: Hav-A-Tampa, YDKM, Mike DK and everybody who has participated in this thread--it's been great to see who reads them!

Just before closing, I would like to clear up a query regarding the early fade-out on the bonus track What Now My love. I have received definite confirmation that this was indeed the result of tape damage (rather than poor editing). To be honest, this always seemed the most likely explanation and my query arose simply because there was no mention of this fact in the track-listing.

So now you know!

Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:09 am

i thought i might add one further comment here about you gave me a mountain(bonus track) i remember thoroughly enjoying the subtle differences in Elvis's version released on FTD An American Trilogy from 15.2.72 M/S...well again this bonus track on this 'straight arrow' release AGAIN has subtle differences and i felt a REALLY tremendous version! - his voice at times seems stronger too(AND in Stereo!):roll: well i APPRECIATED this version and its 'close' /'intimate' sound anyway! :lol:

Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:28 am

Just quickly, as I only got the CD yesterday:

Joe Car wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:"If he wants to shake my hand, fine. But if he wants to get tough, I'll whoop his ass!"

Keith Richards, Jr.

The man came up with some classic lines didn't he! At least EP didn't grab J.D. to shield him, instead he planted that size 12 boot right into the guy's kisser! :)

ImageImage

Indeed. In hearing this line, I'm struck how familiar it sounded. No, I didn't have the earlier bootleg. But then I realized that we've heard this sort of line and anger from Elvis..where else? His movies!

So to hear it on stage -and for it to be authentic, must have been -and remains a real, well, kick!
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:17 pm

Just got this new release, and I was pleasantly surprised. The soundquality is quite good (better than what I anticipated from the review), the show is highly unusual and an essential listen, and the packaging is top notch. Full marks to Straight Arrow for a first class effort.

Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:37 pm

Rock Legend wrote:Just got this new release, and I was pleasantly surprised. The soundquality is quite good (better than what I anticipated from the review)

Only quite good?

In my review I wrote:
The sound quality is indeed very good for an audience recording

And later:
For me, the main purpose of an audience recorded show is to allow an insight into the atmosphere of the occasion and this recording proves exceptional in this regard

i.e. Due to the sound quality....surely you're not suggesting I'm selling this release short??

Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:58 pm

That comment was certainly not meant as a dig at your review, Mike, which I enjoyed (as usual). However, some of your observations about the audio left me a bit confused and unsure of what to expect precisely.

So I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the actual recording, which as far as audience recordings go, is surprisingly good. I haven't heard that many good audience recordings from this engagement, so this release really made my day.

Not too sure about that dramatic spoken version of "What Now My Love" though....

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:00 pm

Mike S wrote:

I'll take this opportunity to announce that my next review will follow shortly...it's the new Madison--Closing Night!

My review:

Outstanding show...one of the best our man ever gave !!!!

Now for the first time complete and in improved SB quality.
A must have in every sense..

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:43 pm

Rock Legend wrote:
some of your observations about the audio left me a bit confused and unsure of what to expect precisely.

I'm really glad you liked the review, but remain baffled by this remark, as I was careful to mention that:-

1) The sound was very good.
2) That it was not quite as good as the recording on the 'Profile Box' for the reasons given.
3) Turning it up loud resulted in a great life-like 'live experience.'
4) This recording was exceptional in conveying the atmosphere of the occasion.

What in your view could I possibly have said that would convey a more accurate description?

Please be assured that I'm not trying to be provocative in any sense, merely disappointed that I seemed to have misled you with my interpretation.

Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:52 pm

Well, 'misled' is a big word to use.

I was just pleasantly surprised after hearing the disc. It's just better than I anticipated, after having read the review.

I guess it's also the comments about mono / stereo that threw me off a bit. In my view, mono is not necessarily inferior to stereo... it's a matter of taste. The great Scotty Moore was once asked about how in his opinion the band would have sounded with today's equipment, in stereo, and to my surprise he answered that he feels it would have hurt the band, and that the music would have sounded "disjointed" in stereo. Anyway, I'm sidetracking so I better leave it at that :wink:

Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:10 pm

Rock Legend wrote:Well, 'misled' is a big word to use.

I was just pleasantly surprised after hearing the disc. It's just better than I anticipated, after having read the review.

I guess it's also the comments about mono / stereo that threw me off a bit. In my view, mono is not necessarily inferior to stereo... it's a matter of taste. The great Scotty Moore was once asked about how in his opinion the band would have sounded with today's equipment, in stereo, and to my surprise he answered that he feels it would have hurt the band, and that the music would have sounded "disjointed" in stereo. Anyway, I'm sidetracking so I better leave it at that :wink:

OK...It's a deal.

I'll be VERY careful in my use of the word 'stereo' in future!

Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:19 pm

Mike S wrote:3) Turning it up loud resulted in a great life-like 'live experience.'

This is sometimes said if the sound is really horrible. "Crank up the volume and you will feel the excitement of being there" - in the last row, that is. When I read that, I confess that I became a bit unsure what to expect soundwise.

Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:31 pm

Kuenzer wrote:
This is sometimes said if the sound is really horrible.

Certainly not by me though....did you miss the other clues as well?

Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:17 am

About these booth recordings: to the best of my knowledge 5 of such recordings have now been released. The first one was the one on the first Baxter box, and then there were 3 released by a cheapo Union label back 2002. The ones I'm talking about are Midnight Special, Getting Down to Business and High Spirits in Vegas. They aren't even listed here on the import list, they're that cheap looking! :)

I gave a listen to all of these and Kicking & Rolling last night, and I have to say that soundwise this latest release is the worst of these. Not that it's bad mind you, it's very listenable but to me it's somehow distant, whereas the others are quite clear and upclose. The best is the Baxter box, which is one of my favorite shows to listen to because of the "warm and clear" sound quality.

Presentation wise SA again excels, but I must say I was a bit disappointed by the sound. Or should I get my ears syringed...? :wink:

The Union releases are worth seeking out if one is interested of these "booth" recordings.