Pot Luck, not Raised On Rock

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Brian Quinn
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Brian Quinn »

The latest information from Ernst Jorgensen is that 'Pot Luck' will not be issued in July but 'Raised On Rock will'.

Brian :D

thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

Daryl wrote:
Big Boss Man
Polk Salad Annie
Let Yourself Go
An American Trilogy
Unchained Melody
Too Much Monkey Business
All Shook Up
So High
The Impossible Dream
Fame And Fortune
It's Midnight
Long, Lonely Highway
Dixieland Rock(s)

And it doesn't just stop with song titles:

I Found My Thrill

Nor does it stop with songs that Elvis recorded

Southern Nights
I’ll comment on this. Let Yourself Go! is a fabulous title, as it says a lot about Elvis at the time. Using song titles as CD titles is okay as long as there is a purpose behind it. It’s Midnight! is also very good, because it says a lot about the show and the season as a whole. It’s a midnight show, and it’s a dark season, culminating in that horrible closing show. Too Much Monkey Business is descriptive of what a lot of fans think about this idea to revamp some Elvis classics. Big Boss Man is a cool title that fits the cover shot perfectly. Dixieland Rocks is pretty neat too. I like it. The CD may not rock, but the title does. Fame and Fortune covers some amazing sessions from the early ’60s. How else would you describe that period in Elvis’s life? A large part of the ’60s was indeed a Long, Lonely Highway. "The Impossible Dream" was Elvis’s new closing song during his fifth season in Las Vegas and can thus be defended as a CD title (because of its historic relevance).

Southern Nights is culled from tours in the southern part of USA. A perfect title.

I agree that the rest of the titles you mentioned lack imagination.

Per

Mike S
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Rob wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Daryl wrote:... why not just number the FTDs?
If that makes things easier for you, just go to your local stationary store, buy a Sharpie and go to town.
I sure hope I can get the coffee off of my computer screen now.

Thanks a lot, Doc!
LOL

I take it a Sharpie is a Pencil or a Pen? it means something quite different where I come from.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Daryl wrote:... why not just number the FTDs?
If that makes things easier for you, just go to your local stationary store, buy a Sharpie and go to town.
I sure hope I can get the coffee off of my computer screen now.

Thanks a lot, Doc!
Laughter is the best medicine.
I wish I had gotten that one!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Mike S wrote:The most pressing question is this: Does anyone (other than Daryl) actually give a damn about this trivial matter?

....and if so, perhaps a few more interests wouldn't go amiss.
Daryl is as Daryl does.

Daryl
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Daryl »

Hello,

Matthew, it sounds to me as if you would buy anything FTD put out, regardless of contents and for that matter CD title.

If you truly believe that album/CD titles are of little importance, you clearly have gone off the reservation so to speak.

Again none of you have been able to answer the following question:

Why should the titles on FTDs not meet the quality control standards of a main label release?

Budget has nothing whatsoever to do with this. So you can't use Ernst's same ol' lame excuse. It comes down to simply creativity (or lack thereof). It is a collectors label, not a bootleg label.

http://www.elvis.com/news/full_story.asp?id=17

If anything, FTD should be trying to distance itself from the pack of illegitimate releases.

Daryl

3DS Friend Code 0387-8874-3735

Coming Soon --> ELVIS SESSIONS IV

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Daryl wrote:Again none of you have been able to answer the following question:

Why should the titles on FTDs not meet the quality control standards of a main label release?
Perhaps because you appear to be the only one taking this much issue with it. Also perhaps because its obvious you prefer to complain just for the sake of complaining.

May I have one of your chocolates?

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years

Post by elvissessions »

I don't see any reason to spend any time on the topic with someone who criticizes virtually every title of every project, yet is so lacking in creative impulses that his suggested alternative is "The Nashville Marathon Volume 2."

Now, who's lacking in inspiration? Call the coroner; your muse is dead.

ColinB
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by ColinB »

Brian Quinn wrote:The latest information from Ernst Jorgensen is that 'Pot Luck' will not be issued in July but 'Raised On Rock will'.
Colin B wrote:
Well yes, but Ernst has denied that the previous bogus confirmation that they had denied that the two albums hadn't been swapped for release was erroneous, or at least not entirely true.

Please note that the situation has now been reversed.
It's been brought to my attention that the above statement is confusing.

Sorry about that.

The word "hadn't" should read "had".

And the second bit should read:

"...the situation has not been reversed"

Hope that clarifies things...............

[Nope - The Management]
Last edited by ColinB on Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Rob

Post by Rob »

Matthew wrote:
Mike S wrote:The most pressing question is this: Does anyone (other than Daryl) actually give a damn about this trivial matter?

....and if so, perhaps a few more interests wouldn't go amiss.
Daryl is as Daryl does.
Last edited by Rob on Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

Daryl wrote:
You mean like Tiger Man, Raised on Rock, Promised Land, Moody Blue, He Touched Me, Elvis Sings the Wonderful World of Christmas, Loving You, King Creole, G.I. Blues, Blue Hawaii, Fun in Acapulco, His Hand in Mine, and How Great Thou Art?

I rest my case. I suggest you do too.

Per

thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

Daryl, the upcoming Nashville CD has unofficially been called Nashville ’71 for quite some time now. It just doesn’t get simpler than that, a much better title than any of your suggestions.

Now I truly rest my case. Don’t forget to take your pill before you go to bed.

Per

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Hello,

thekingisalive wrote:
You mean like Tiger Man, Raised on Rock, Promised Land, Moody Blue, He Touched Me, Elvis Sings the Wonderful World of Christmas, Loving You, King Creole, G.I. Blues, Blue Hawaii, Fun in Acapulco, His Hand in Mine, and How Great Thou Art?

Several of the albums you mentioned (Loving You, King Creole, G.I. Blues, Blue Hawaii and Fun In Acapulco) were soundtracks to motion pictures so it was a no brainer to name the soundtrack the same.

Many of the original albums titles you mention (Raised On Rock, Moody Blue, He Touched Me, Elvis Sings The Wonderful World Of Christmas, His Hand In Mine, How Great Thou Art) are perfectly fine titles. In some cases they reflect a recent single release or give some insight as to what is featured on the release. You seem to misinterpret that I don't like the idea of using song titles as the name of the CD.

As for "I Sing All Kinds", this title in no way reflects what these recordings are. For example, the "From Elvis In Memphis" LP indicates that these recordings were made in Memphis.

You also wrote:
the upcoming Nashville CD has unofficially been called Nashville ’71 for quite some time now. It just doesn’t get simpler than that, a much better title than any of your suggestions.
It doesn't get much simpler than "Nashville '71" so why not just call it that. It seems to me that FTD tries to get cutesy with these titles when the best route would be the simplest. You've basically made my point.

BTW, I believe I suggested "Nashville Revisited - 1971" which lends a nod to the previous FTD release "The Nashville Marathon" much like the "Back In Memphis" LP did the same for the "From Elvis In Memphis" LP.

Daryl

thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

All Shook Up should have been titled Are You Laughing Tonight?, which would have reflected the contents of the CD perfectly.

Like you, I don’t think I Sing All Kinds is a good title. It’s lame. If they had called the CD Nashville ’71: I Sing All Kinds, then it would have been excellent.

What really disappoints me are titles such as Polk Salad Annie, Unchained Melody, and An American Trilogy. How do they decide these things? Do they roll a dice?

Per

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

OMG....it's just dawned on me....He actually thinks People from the outside are reading this and ''listening'' to Him.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Hello,

I agree with you totally on the "All Shook Up" FTD. It reflects nothing pertaining to what the contents of the release is besides the fact that "All Shook Up" is one of the tracks. "Are You Laughing Tonight?" is an excellent choice. With that monologue that Elvis used during those '69 shows and the rare live performance of "This Is The Story", another excellent choice could have been "This Is The Story."

Daryl

elvissessions

Post by elvissessions »

another excellent choice could have been "This Is The Story"
Again, confirming that your ideas are no better and sometimes remarkably worse than those you're criticizing.

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Hello,

elvissessions.com wrote:
Again, confirming that your ideas are no better and sometimes remarkably worse than those you're criticizing.
Apparently, you've never listened to any of the '69 monologues during which time Elvis tells his life "story." That is miles ahead of "I Sing All Kinds."

Daryl

see see rider

Post by see see rider »

I hope it is " Pot Luck" I think that is a great album..

elvissessions

Post by elvissessions »

Apparently, you've never listened to any of the '69 monologues ...
This from the guy who kicked all of this off by admitting he didn't even get the reference to the new FTD in question.

Hopeless.

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Hello,
This from the guy who kicked all of this off by admitting he didn't even get the reference to the new FTD in question.

Hopeless.
Who said that I didn't get the "I sing all kinds" quote from 1953 as said to Marion Keisker? I never said that. I'm fully aware of the quote. It just so happens that that quote in itself applies to the wide spectrum of music that Elvis recorded from 1953-1977 and not just to 1971 in particular which in turn leads to a vagueness that the title suggests.

If you'd been following along, you'd have realized that, but I forgot that you're totally clueless. So my apologies I extend to you elvissessions.com for your ignorance and cluelessness.

Daryl

elvissessions

Post by elvissessions »

Poor attempt to rewrite history, but I'll let it stand. I don't won't to distract you from developing more brilliant album titles. I know your novel approach of attaching "... Volume 2" to the end of previous titles will keep your creative juices flowing for a while.

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Hello,

elvissessions wrote:
Poor attempt to rewrite history, but I'll let it stand. I don't won't to distract you from developing more brilliant album titles. I know your novel approach of attaching "... Volume 2" to the end of previous titles will keep your creative juices flowing for a while.
The only person I see trying to rewrite history is you. Just because I didn't make mention of where the "I Sing All Kinds" came from doesn't mean that I didn't know where it came from. Also didn't I also suggest "Nashville Revisited - 1971". Your ignorance must be kicking into overdrive.

Daryl

elvissessions

Post by elvissessions »

Uh-huh ...

The fact that you offer -- yet again -- "Nashville Revisited - 1971" as your suggestion for a clever title serves only to reinforce my assertion that you really have no idea what you're talking about, much less what a laughingstock you have made of yourself.

"Nashville Revisisted - 1971"? You're putting us on, right?