All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu May 31, 2007 2:13 am

Well i'm pretty much 100% happy about these releases! :lol: wonder what takes will appear as bonus outakes on a 2 CD set of the 'raison on rock' Album??? :roll:

Thu May 31, 2007 2:23 am

Is this it??
If it is, no problem with me!
Standing by awaiting a long time favourite: ROR!!

Thu May 31, 2007 3:04 am

Spellbinder wrote:Bosom of Abraham take 4
I've got confidence take 1
An evening prayer take 5
For lovin' me take 10
Early morning rain take 11
Fools rush in take 14
Help me make it through the night takes 6 & 7
It's still here takes 1, 2 & 3
I will be true take 1
Until it's time for you to go takes 5 & 6
It's only love take 7
I'm leavin' take 3
Love me, love the life I lead take 4
Padre take 2
Seeing is believing take 7
A thing called love take 1
Put your hand in the hand take 1
Johnny B Goode incomplete
I'll be home on Christmas Day take 3
Holly leaves and Christmas trees take 4
If I get home on Christmas Day take 1
I't won't seem like Christmas take 3
I'll be home on Christmas Day remake take 2

I wonder if "Johnny B Goode" will be the same as released on Madisons "Let It Roll"?

That will be interesting to find out! :wink:

I also wonder who's doing the mastering on this release, and "Raised On Rock"? It isn't Sebastian!

Thu May 31, 2007 3:08 am

:lol: wow! I have just been reading through Kieth Flynns excellent recording session notes and all but 4 tracks on this new 1971 release we have NEVER heard before! now just HOW GOOD is that! I mean on 'An American Trilogy' 50% was 'new' but this time about 85% will be completely 'new' and i'm 200% impressed by that! :lol: what's been out before? well
(thats what you get) for loving me take 10 was out on 'today,tommorow+forever'
iv'e got confidence take 1 was on 'a ledgendary performer vol 5
johnny b. goode was out on 'let it roll'
it won't seem like christmas (without you) take 3 was released in dec 2006 on the TV Guide
but to get an incredible 85% completely unheard from a series of 3 sessions we had been asking for is like 'holly leaves & christmas trees' this July!!! :o

Thu May 31, 2007 3:29 am

I wonder whether the For Lovin' Me take will turn out to be a case of bad labeling on Today, Tomorrow and Forever. I suspect it'll be a new take and we'll have to figure out what was really included on TTF.

Thu May 31, 2007 3:44 am

yes i know what you mean, but comparing with the already released take won't take long to do! :roll: REALLY looking forward to July now!!!

Thu May 31, 2007 5:29 am

TJ wrote:
I'm not saying it's going to be worthless and yes of course I'd like to have been there at any session. My point was that ever since Nashville Marathon, the prospect of Nashville 71 has been spoken about by many as if it's potentially one of the finest CDs FTD could release. Looking at the songs recorded and considering how Elvis was generally in less than inspired mood, I've just never understood why it's singled out like that.

I'll take a crack at giving you an answer TJ. Many of us here were hoping there would be a cd of the secular '71 masters in the same vein as Tomorrow Is a Long Time and The Lost Album. Such a collection would've righted a great wrong (as the previously mentioned sets did) given how the material was originally released on 2 hodge-podge, slap dash lp's. Since this never materialized the same folks have been clamouring for an FTD release of this material along the lines of the Today FTD.

Thu May 31, 2007 7:26 am

Pete Dube wrote:Many of us here were hoping there would be a cd of the secular '71 masters in the same vein as Tomorrow Is a Long Time and The Lost Album.

That format does not befit the regular release schedule of FTD. The Nashville '71 masters will receive their fair treatment at some point along the line in the Classic Album series. For now we are getting a FTD covering the 1971 sessions, one that has been anticipated for quite some time.
Last edited by Matthew on Thu May 31, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 31, 2007 9:22 am

Again, FTD offers an interesting selection. It must be a Blackstone summer, as they will be pulling rabbits out of several hats with the material cut in July-September 1973 (Raised On Rock), March-June 1971 (I Sing All Kinds) and September 1966 (Easy Come, Easy Go). However, as FTD is geared for the serious fan, they are on my list.

But I'll be dancing lightly while listening to the "Deluxe" edition of Easy Come, Easy Go -- perhaps the worst Hollywood soundtrack of his career.

Stuck on the Paramount Scoring Stage for the first time since February 1958, it's not that the songs are garbage, the arrangements dull or the recording quality average, it's that Elvis sounds completely isolated from the material. There is not a drop of Presley soul or passion in even a single second of any number.

Perhaps a vocal track has been secured for the cover of the Ray Charles / Everly Brothers recording, "Leave My Woman Alone." That might be fun.

And don't forget, this was future TCB Band bass man Jerry Scheff's first Presley session, albeit as a saxophone player!

Thu May 31, 2007 9:27 am

thenexte wrote:
Mike DK wrote:Regarding why "this and this" is not on the up-coming Nashville 71 release. First of all, not everything can be on one CD. And second, there will also be the classic album releases so we will eventually get everything worth releasing from 71ยด on these. Stuff like the undubbed version of Merry X-mas Baby will for sure be on the classic FTD release of Elvis 71' X-mas album. And rightfully so I might add.

By that logic I don't know why they still continue to release these single-disc outtake compilations if all the outtakes eventually end up on deluxe editions anyways as complete or near-complete sessions?

The Nashville '71 CD was made by Ernst years ago. In fact, it was made before the Classic Album Series had started. (I don't know if he's changed the track-listing since then or whatever, but I don't think so.) I think it was released because so many people were asking for it, despite the fact that we'll probably get most of the outtakes in the Classic Album Series sooner or later. But I don't know that. Perhaps they won't make deluxe editions of the gospel and x-mas albums for example?

thenexte wrote:Considering the dire state the music industry is currently in, we should probably be thankful to still have an outlet like this! I don't see that many other legacy artists that get this type of treatment from their record companies. I guess it's us fans who keep the legacy alive by supporting the FTD label. So thanks Ernst for a great job and the foresight of creating the label in the first place.

Post of the year! :D

Seriously, you are 100% correct. Some fans don't seem to know how incredibly lucky we are. In fact, I am surprised that FTD is still alive. Most major record companies couldn't care less about these kind of releases. We should be grateful not only to Ernst and Roger, but to the their bosses as well.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu May 31, 2007 10:55 am

Where can one donate?

Thu May 31, 2007 11:19 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I'm gonna buy all three releases this time!

Atta boy, Keith! I knew you had it in you.

Thu May 31, 2007 12:11 pm

thenexte wrote:
I don't know why they still continue to release these single-disc outtake compilations if all the outtakes eventually end up on deluxe editions anyways as complete or near-complete sessions?

Because they would like to sell the same outtakes at least twice. There's nothing wrong with it. It's business. We have to support FTD to keep it alive longer. If you can't afford them all,then buy the ones you really would like to get. I do the same.

RAISED

Thu May 31, 2007 12:13 pm

I'm hoping that the FTD "Raised on rock" will be in the same superior sound quality as the 24bit Japanese remaster and not the muddy/muffled European CD release, but i very much doubt it. My guess is that all the out-takes used on "Rhythm and country" and "Made in Memphis" will be used again on this new FTD set, leaving us with very little "new" material.
It is most unlikely that "Leave my woman alone" will be included on "Easy come, easy go", as this would probably be saved for a greatest hits package / box set bonus track, if it exists. (Once again, unlikely).
The reason a '71 sessions CD is wanted so much is because we have had little material from these sesssions. It was the same with the Vegas '72 material, but, in reality, there was nothing to really get excited about with that release (no unusual material) and I doubt wether many fans have actually listened to that one more than once.

Thu May 31, 2007 12:19 pm

Rob wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I'm gonna buy all three releases this time!

Atta boy, Keith! I knew you had it in you.

Thanks Rob. :wink:

I am particularly looking forward to "Easy Come, Easy Go" and "Raised On Rock", though. The "Easy Come, Easy Go" reissue will be really interesting to me, because -- dare I say it? -- I have never heard that EP in my life. True story! So I will get three -- count 'em, THREE! -- entirely new Elvis songs. How a-BOUT that?! I guess the bad news is that none of them is any good... :shock: :D

I hear the sound on the original "Easy Come, Easy Go" EP was really bad. Let's hope that FTD has managed to fix that. Some of Elvis's '60s material sound so bad I can't hardly stand it. Why oh why couldn't they at least record the poor guy properly?

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu May 31, 2007 12:27 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:

dare I say it? -- I have never heard that EP in my life. True story!

Keith Richards, Jr.

So you have never seen the film, never been to an Elvis event where these songs are played, never had any of the budget albums these songs were on or never bought a film soundtrack cd before??!?

Thu May 31, 2007 12:41 pm

I am particularly looking forward to "Easy Come, Easy Go" and "Raised On Rock", though. The "Easy Come, Easy Go" reissue will be really interesting to me, because -- dare I say it? -- I have never heard that EP in my life. True story! So I will get three -- count 'em, THREE! -- entirely new Elvis songs. How a-BOUT that?! I guess the bad news is that none of them is any good... :shock: :D
Keith Richards, Jr.

That's great. Something completely new to look forward to. I also have maybe 10 Elvis tracks i've honestly never heard in my life. I mean i may have heard them in some convention but don't own them and haven't properly sat down to listen. They are all from mid-1960's soundtrack sessions, bunch from Paradise Hawaiian Style and few others. Queenie Wahine's Papaya or whatever, although something tells me i might not be missing out much. :wink:
Last edited by VOC on Thu May 31, 2007 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 31, 2007 12:41 pm

TONY wrote:

dare I say it? -- I have never heard that EP in my life. True story!

Keith Richards, Jr.

So you have never seen the film, never been to an Elvis event where these songs are played, never had any of the budget albums these songs were on or never bought a film soundtrack cd before??!?

Almost correct. I have bought film budget LPs and soundtrack CDs before. But I still haven't heard the entire "Easy Come, Easy Go" soundtrack.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu May 31, 2007 12:44 pm

VOC wrote:I also have maybe 10 Elvis tracks i've honestly never heard in my life. I mean i may have heard them in some convention but don't own them and haven't properly sat down to listen. They are all from mid-1960's soundtrack sessions, bunch from Paradise Hawaiian Style and few others.

Wow. I remember about 20 years ago, when I was sure I had every Elvis song available, and I was at a mates house and he was playing 32 Film Hits, and a song came on and I thought "what the....." - I had somehow missed acquiring I'm Not The Marrying Kind!!

Hadn't missed much, but it was good to hear a "new" song unexpectedly :lol:

Thu May 31, 2007 1:50 pm

VOC wrote:I also have maybe 10 Elvis tracks i've honestly never heard in my life. I mean i may have heard them in some convention but don't own them and haven't properly sat down to listen. They are all from mid-1960's soundtrack sessions, bunch from Paradise Hawaiian Style and few others.

So you don't have the "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" FTD? It's pretty good actually, I'm not kidding. The sound quality is miles better than say "It Happened At The World's Fair" and "Frankie & Johnny", and as a result the album itself is much more enjoyable. It's not as good as "Harum Scarum" but I like this FTD. It has a very nice, colourful booklet too which kind of enhances that dreamy, sunny feeling the soundtrack is supposed to give you... hey, it works for me...

It's good to have something entirely new to look forward too, that's for sure. I'm glad I'm not alone. For a while there, I thought Tony and his friends were gonna bury me alive or something.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu May 31, 2007 2:37 pm

Why is EASY COME ftd being knocked, apart from Yoga i think these are great tracks. Put on the title track and love machine for your mates then play Heartbreak Hotel or Hound Dog you will be suprised at their responce.

i WOULD RATHER LISTEN TO yoga OUTAKES THAN some of the sh@t on the Radio these days.

This is going to be packed with i think the whole session , and even if they still cannot find LEAVE MY WOMAN ALONE put the backing track on .

We have never had outakes from 3 of these 6 tracks and the other 3 just 1 each i recall.

PLUS a new stereo mix off of the master tapes wow ........

Raised on rock looks great aswell.

However why not make a folk album and a separate xmas album as it looks like they have just slung these tracks with no planning.

Why only 1 take of Early Morning rain - wheres the rest of them .........

Thu May 31, 2007 3:13 pm

So you don't have the "Paradise, Hawaiian Style" FTD? It's pretty good actually, I'm not kidding. The sound quality is miles better than say "It Happened At The World's Fair" and "Frankie & Johnny", and as a result the album itself is much more enjoyable. It's not as good as "Harum Scarum" but I like this FTD. It has a very nice, colourful booklet too which kind of enhances that dreamy, sunny feeling the soundtrack is supposed to give you... hey, it works for me...

It's good to have something entirely new to look forward too, that's for sure. I'm glad I'm not alone. For a while there, I thought Tony and his friends were gonna bury me alive or something.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Nope i don't have PHS. I have to admit i don't own any of the deluxe soundtracks. :oops: I simply don't have the money to get them all and i've concentrated on regular releases (i have all of those) except few selected favourites such as "Something For Everybody." I hope to get them eventually though and i do have most of the Double Features records on my shelf if i get the rush to listen to a certain track.

I think i will get Raised On Rock, that kind of depends on the track listing once it is announced.

Thu May 31, 2007 3:46 pm

VOC - you're not alone. I've not got any of the FTD soundtrack issues yet - they're just not a priority for me. I will get around to it, but there are others I'd rather have first, and my double features are fine in the meantime.,

Thu May 31, 2007 4:18 pm

Matthew wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:Many of us here were hoping there would be a cd of the secular '71 masters in the same vein as Tomorrow Is a Long Time and The Lost Album.

That format does not befit the regular release schedule of FTD. The Nashville '71 masters will receive their fair treatment at some point along the line in the Classic Album series. For now we are getting a FTD covering the 1971 sessions, one that has been anticipated for quite some time.

Matthew -
What I had in mind was a mass-market release in the earlier part of this decade, when Ernst and Roger were still upgrading and improving the catalogue.

Thu May 31, 2007 4:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Again, FTD offers an interesting selection. It must be a Blackstone summer, as they will be pulling rabbits out of several hats with the material cut in July-September 1973 (Raised On Rock), March-June 1971 (I Sing All Kinds) and September 1966 (Easy Come, Easy Go). However, as FTD is geared for the serious fan, they are on my list.

But I'll be dancing lightly while listening to the "Deluxe" edition of Easy Come, Easy Go -- perhaps the worst Hollywood soundtrack of his career.

Stuck on the Paramount Scoring Stage for the first time since February 1958, it's not that the songs are garbage, the arrangements dull or the recording quality average, it's that Elvis sounds completely isolated from the material. There is not a drop of Presley soul or passion in even a single second of any number.

Perhaps a vocal track has been secured for the cover of the Ray Charles / Everly Brothers recording, "Leave My Woman Alone." That might be fun.

And don't forget, this was future TCB Band bass man Jerry Scheff's first Presley session, albeit as a saxophone player!

not even "I'll Take Love"?? thats my fav of the session!