All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon May 21, 2007 1:00 am

That would be great that everything would be so PERFECT that only the subjective nitpicking of the artwork would be the only counter balance of a discussion about such and such release(s).

Mon May 21, 2007 1:00 am

I think it's absolutely valid to make some noise about this. Maybe BMG will add Bridge and Make the World Go Away if enough people feedback. Those two performances are stellar and don't deserve to be expunged in place of hamburger eating outtakes.

Mon May 21, 2007 1:03 am

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 27, 2007 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 21, 2007 6:12 am

Indeed, why are songs like "I've Lost You" and "I Just Can't Help Believin" considered BONUS songs when they are already in the original movie--which they are including in the set? Two scenarios: they've edited and cut out these songs out of the original and stuck them as BONUS songs (highly unlikely) or they are already in the original and they are doubling them also as BONUS songs-therefore appearing twice in the set (very possible).

Shame that they're cutting off "Get Back" from the "Little Sister" medley.

Mon May 21, 2007 6:38 am

I thought both versions of the film were being released and if you have the original you "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

Mon May 21, 2007 1:06 pm

I assume they are the same reedits shown after the movie was shown on TCM the first time, they were very well done, better than anything in the SE which I thought the performances were badly edited.

Mon May 21, 2007 2:51 pm

I assume "I've Lost You," "Sweet Caroline" and "I Just Can't Help Believin'" will be full versions like in the original movie. When this material was put together to be added as bonus material on the DVD release of the special edition (together with the now deleted Beatles' songs), the thought was none of this material is in the special edition.

I predict that the picture and sound quality of these bonus songs / sequences will be a siginificant improvement over the quality of the original movie (as was the special edition).

Mystery Train
Last edited by MysteryTrain on Mon May 21, 2007 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 21, 2007 3:49 pm

likethebike wrote:I thought both versions of the film were being released and if you have the original you "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

That's my understanding. But who knows. If indeed the REAL original movie is released then Sweet Caroline; I Just Can't Help Believin'; Bridge and I've Lost You are in there.

Mon May 21, 2007 6:49 pm

hey Jerry,

I'll never understand why the hell they just don't reissue 1970 That's the
Way it is but with the 12 extras at the end on one package? Possibly they could, as another option, incorporate some of the material that appeared
on the S.E (which i did not buy incidentily but taped it off a friend's copy of it) as part of the extras too.

Maybe they're including the 2001 S.E in a double delux package as they
still have a huge number of copies leftover and want to slug the average
fan, a little bitty extra than if it was priced at as a commercial single DVD.

Presley fans have every right to be cheesed off particularly those that
purchased the 2001 S.E. as it means they're buying the same product
in order to get the superior and original remastered 1970 MGM.

It sucks does'nt it.

Mon May 21, 2007 8:56 pm

Isn't GET BACK in the SE with LITTLE SISTER, so wouldn't they already have the rights to use it?

Mon May 21, 2007 9:36 pm

Lonnie,

"Little Sister / Get Back" from the July 29, 1970 MGM Soundstage rehearsal is in TTWII (SE). However, Elvis sang this medley on the August 12, 1970 midnight show as well and only "Little Sister" was included on the TCM Website when the special edition was originally released. This version was not in the film. I suspect it is this version of "Little Sister" that we're getting.

Mystery Train

Re: Bonus Tracks TTWII (Deluxe Edition)

Mon May 21, 2007 10:50 pm

MysteryTrain wrote:From "Elvis World Japan" here are the bonus tracks on TTWII (Deluxe Edition):

(Never-before Seen Outtakes) 47 min.

You Don't Have To Say You Love Me;
Eating Burgers;
Cattle Call;
Baby Let's Play House;
Don't;
Farther Along;
Oh Happy Day;
I Just Can't Help Believin';
Walk A Mile In My Shoes;
I've Lost You;
Sweet Caroline;
Little Sister;
Stranger In The Crowd;
Party Sequence

Mystery Train

I wish they'll include that videos

Polk Salad Annie Long version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DzbXm0dA9Q

Patch It Up for super tutt drum and elvis's superb final number
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wI9kbrRAZQ

who cares Cattle Call; Farther Along; Party Sequence
I do care about Eating Burgers because I don't want to hear anything about burger and elvis together anymore. :smt018

There is only good news "stranger in the crowd" in the video finally.

what about "stranger in my hometown" video is it recorded from MGM?
that would be fantastic... :twisted:

Mon May 21, 2007 11:43 pm

My guess/hope is that the "Ive Lost You" "Sweet Caroline" and "I Just Can't Help Believin'" will be re-edited versions intended for possible inclusion in the the SE film but rejected. These three, along with "Bridge" were shown in their remastered form on Turner Classic Movies before the broadcast premiere.

Even though these songs are in the original, it looks very much like the quality on the original film will not be upgraded, so it will be nice to have the new ones in better quality. HOWEVER, that makes it all the more of a travesty that we are not gettting Bridge Over Troubled Water in remixed, remastered quality. THIS PERFORMANCE IS A MASTERPIECE!!! It should have been in the SE in the first place, as I Just Can't Help Believin'. I don't know who they consulted on the decision to strike those two from the film but I can hardly imagine an Elvis fan on the ENTIRE planet not thinking those two songs belonged in the film.

They should really correct the mistake. If Bridge is not available in remastered and remixed form, I might skip the release and hope someday they put it on HD-DVD with all the material it should have. I'm o.k. with re-buying product when it really seems they have listened to what fans want and made a genuine effort. This time they may have even come close, but no Bridge is a straight up crime, a great diservice to Elvis and his fans.

Tue May 22, 2007 4:13 am

I agree that to not include a remixed version of Bridge in this set renders this product a giant corporate bowel movement.

Isn't the Bridge in the original film mono?

Tue May 22, 2007 4:54 am

[quote="MysteryTrain"]Some comments / observations / questions:

At 47 minutes, that means nearly 3 minutes per song / sequence.

That would be nearly 4 mins, not 3. 12 x 4=48 :D

Tue May 22, 2007 4:59 am

Without knowing what is really on there, the way I read the promotion for this release, it seems that the SE version will be the same.
While the original movie will have the bonus' to it. Thus giving hope that both sound and picture have been given some attention regarding upgrading. Maybe one can hope for the soundtrack beeing in stereo?
My DVD version of the original movie is pure mono!

Tue May 22, 2007 5:10 am

A great part of That's the Way It Is -- both versions -- are all the candid, casual moments with Elvis. Whether it's joking around in the studio or riding that bike around, it's cool. Sure, as many performance clips as possible should be squeezed in, but there's nothing wrong with including a few behind-the-scenes moments, too. Eating burgers or otherwise. That's the Way It Is.
Last edited by elvissessions on Tue May 22, 2007 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 22, 2007 5:46 am

Steve_M wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:That would be great that everything would be so PERFECT that only the subjective nitpicking of the artwork would be the only counter balance of a discussion about such and such release(s).

Thing is I wasn't joking. We've had FTD releases where the content is fantastic and all you could read about on here was how disappointed fans were with the artwork.

Unbelievable, you really had to see it to believe it.
It almost made it seem as if the content of the CD wasn't worth mentioning.
Oh. :)

Tue May 22, 2007 10:43 am

elvissessions.com
I agree with you: TTWII´s magic was in the behind the scene footage (the rehearsals, the nerves before the opening, etc.) If I JUST CAN´T HELP BELIEVIN´, BRIDGE, etc. are all in the original version, then I hope that the BONUS MATERIAL will offer more "candid" moments. It would be great to get the complete rehearsal of I JUST CAN´T HELP BELIVIN´ (as it was heavily edited in the first edition).

Tue May 22, 2007 1:54 pm

Robt wrote:Presley fans have every right to be cheesed off particularly those that
purchased the 2001 S.E. as it means they're buying the same product
in order to get the superior and original remastered 1970 MGM.

It sucks does'nt it.

Ahhh, no big whoop.

I preordered it from amazon for $15.96. So what would the price be for the original with bonus footage? Well, let's see, the single-disc special edition is $11.99.

So, if it costs me a "premium" of $3.97 to get the deal to work for the studio so it'll release more of the footage I want plus the original cut of the movie, I have no complaints.

We'll survive.

Tue May 22, 2007 3:29 pm

as it should be.

However, being in Australia, i'm guessing it will be
probably retail in excess $40.00( U.S. $33).

Anymore higher than i'll guess i can get the NTSC
one from good ole' Texas but i still have to pay
extra for the shipping.

elvissessions i feel your taking a risk pre-paying for it.

Suppose the product fails to meet your expectations?
Or if the producers of the material does a back flip
and omits one or two songs that was pre- advertised but
left out of the package at the last minute?

You never know, elvissessions, you never know.

Tue May 22, 2007 4:20 pm

I agree with ElvisSessions - this is good value for the money! Assuming the listing on Elvis World is accurate I think these songs / sequences are locked in by now. I would expect all the DVDs have been mastered and very likely pressed (is that the correct word?) by now. As stated, 47 minutes of remastered, color adjusted material is worth the price of the DVD set alone. It appears to be sequenced as a mini-show - first rehearsals - "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" through "Oh Happy Day" followed by full concert versions - "I Just Can't Help Believin'" through "Stranger In The Crowd" and closing with the party sequence.

Mystery Train

Tue May 22, 2007 4:48 pm

Yeah i agree there are some stellar performances i have all the outtakes available at this time and a lot of it i have audio recorded from the cameras or near cameras so you hear the mix like it was live albeit microphone quality, in anycase Tutt is absolutely full on , yes he is the motor that drives the whole show (and the guy on the kettle drums fills that amazing rythm in too)and i noticed a lot of the crowds reaction is when Tutt lays down some heavy beats , Tutt inspires Elvis and they work as one.

This was something special , what the public would have loved.

Sat May 26, 2007 5:21 pm

But, I wonder: it is so difficult to make a Deluxe Edition of TTWII including the original movie of 1970, the Special Edition and perhaps another disc with extras??? I hope that the final project is more like that, then we'd have "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and all the material of the original movie with updated quality. If they want to delete something, they can delete some freaks (I remember someone with bottom of a bottle glasses and some teeth missing) :)

Sat May 26, 2007 5:46 pm

The trick is we have to buy it again...!