All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun May 27, 2007 4:53 am

Pep when you started the thread I looked at the booklet straight away and saw this outtake pic. but didn't think it was the one you were looking for because no Elvis cut out was there LOL

Oh well glad it's cleared up!!! :lol:

Sun May 27, 2007 6:07 am

PEP wrote:With all this talk recently I thought I would listen to
the album on to the way to work last night, when
I came home I thought what the heck before I put
it away I might as well look at the insert,.....
I almost fell over....the picture was there all along :lol:

One thing I have to say as great as this album is, one
does have to be in the mood....and I do mean really
in the mood....

It's been some time since I've listen to the Beatles, I
use to listen to them all the time some 30 odd years ago.....
an then as years went by I would take a break an would
get back into them for a spell...but of course I would always
end up going back to listening to Elvis for even longer stetches
years at a time instead of weeks or months for any other
entertainer actually..... :D

Nevertheless as one gets older you certainly listen for
different things in the music from the lyrics, to the music
to the voices.....

Here's the deal when it really comes down to it no matter
who it is and how talented either a group or a solo singer
is....once you have the feel and understanding of one of
the Greatest Singer's of all time...

You just know with all of his faults combined There still is
nothing like ELVIS ! :smt023

PEP 8)

Amen brother PEP! What a frickin pic btw!

Sun May 27, 2007 8:12 am

sam wrote:You beat me pep. Any Beatles fan would have known!!! :lol:

You had the booklet, opened it, saw the image -- and you still didn't know.

That's impressive!

Sun May 27, 2007 8:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sam wrote:You beat me pep. Any Beatles fan would have known!!! :lol:

You had the booklet, opened it, saw the image -- and you still didn't know.

That's impressive!

If you read the first post you might understand Mr Beatles fan. There isn't a picture with an Elvis cut out as PEP was asking for. But you don't even know what's in a Beatles CD Booklet. Very impressive Doc.
A real Beatles fan LOL. At least I knew where to look for an out take pic. Just didn't think it was the one PEP was after.
You are so funny Doc.
In a peculiar sort of way!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed May 30, 2007 6:25 pm

From today's Independent.

The index to the numbers is too large to scan.

I'll look up any & post the reply, if anybody is curious as to who is represented here.............

[I couldn't squeeze in No.75 from the forefront - it's a figurine of Lakshmi, Hindu Goddess of Wealth & Beauty.]

Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:42 am

Two days & no takers !

I guess this info must be available elsewhere.....

Like on the sleeve or in the booklet....

Well, I wouldn't know, would I ?

Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:10 pm

Ten things you might not know about Sgt. Pepper's

By Tony Bartholomew

#1: Under cover

The men behind the seminal Sgt. Pepper's cover shot are the designer Peter Blake and photographer Michael Cooper who shot it at Chelsea Manor Photographic Studios on 30th March 1967. Of the famous faces who were meant to feature, some didn't quite make it - including Elvis, Hitler and Jesus. Lee Gorcey was removed after requesting an appearance fee (!) whil EMI demanded Gandhi being taken out for fear of offending record buyers in India.

#2: Neigh bother

Ever wondered about those animal noises on the song Good Morning, Good Morning? These were apparently recorded in an order where each animal would be able to eat the one before it. As for the song title, John took it from a Kellogg's Cornflakes TV advert.

#3: LSD

For years, it's been wrongly assumed that Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds is a reference to LSD. The title in fact comes from John's son Julian. After he brought home a drawing from school, dad John asked his son what the picture was. "It's Lucy in the sky with diamonds" he replied. Lucy O'Connell was one of Julian's classmates!

#4: The drugs don't work

The version of Sgt. Pepper's that came out in South East Asia, Malaysia and Hong Kong did not feature With A Little Help From My Friends, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds or A Day In The Life. They were replaced for fear their lyrics could be interpreted as drug-related. Instead, three tracks from the Magical Mystery Tour album were used: The Fool On The Hill, Baby You're A Rich Man and I Am The Walrus.

#5: Old at heart

Astonishingly, Paul wrote When I'm Sixty Four about his dad Jim at the age of just 16. It was a track the band used to play around with at The Cavern Club if the amps failed.

#6: Backing vocals

That echoing voice you can hear counting the middle of A Day In The Life? It's only roadie Mal Evans. The band asked him to count the measures in a gap in the tape during recording the song's first orchestral build-up. The alarm clock before "Woke up, fell out of bed" was Evans' way of showing the end of the gap!

#7: More days in a life

The aforementioned A Day In The Life is apparently about Tara Browne - a friend of John's and a well-known socialite. Browne, an alleged user of hallucinogenic drugs, was killed in 1966 after driving his Lotus Elan through a red light and into a van. John sings: "The lucky man who made the grade... he blew his mind out in a car."

#8: You say tomato

Lennon and McCartney wrote With A Little Help From My Friends for Ringo Starr, and the first line originally went: "What would you think if I sang out of tune? Would you throw tomatoes at me?" Ringo refused to sing it so the pair changed the lyric to "Would you stand up and walk out on me?"

#9: Old Bill

Drummer Ringo is introduced on title track Sgt. Pepper's... as Billy Shears and it is implied that Billy sings With A Little Help From My Friends. Billy Shears is also mentioned in Ringo's Lennon penned 1973 hit I'm The Greatest: "Yes, my name is Billy Shears, you know it has been for so many years

#10: In it for the money

Despite his excellent performance on the album, Ringo has confessed previously that Sgt. Pepper's isn't his favourite Beatles album. "As a musician, I preferred Revolver, and I preferred The White Album, because we were back to being musicians" he said. "It was like everybody got the madness out on Sgt. Pepper's, so it served that purpose." Millions wouldn't agree...

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:02 pm

Happy birthday Sgt. Pepper.
:smt113

Little Darlin wrote:Ten things you might not know about Sgt. Pepper's
By Tony Bartholomew

These are all old facts/stories. Unfortunately, after 40 years of being analysed and generally picked apart there doesn't seem to be much more to say.

ColinB - you're right, the CD booklet does have a key to all the figures and faces.

Looks like this thread has wandered off-topic now ... unless anyone knows if Elvis ever heard the album. Did he own any Beatles records?

Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:02 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:ColinB - you're right, the CD booklet does have a key to all the figures and faces.

Yeah, I figured as much...

Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:35 am

The Purple Gang wrote: ... unless anyone knows if Elvis ever heard the album. Did he own any Beatles records?

Of course Elvis heard the LP. It was EVERYWHERE after its release in June 1967, a huge, huge pop event equal -- or greater -- in scale to the Beatles own explosion on the American consciousness in February 1964.

Did he like Pepper? Probably not a lot, but doubtless some of the songs were appealing to his generally open-minded musical tastes. And a Graceland inventory of his record collection included many Beatles LPs, including Rubber Soul. And his ever-full jukebox on Perugia Way likely had all the hit singles.

Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:42 pm

EP probably heard it but since the house had younger kids like Stanley's, Priscilla,friends etc...from the vast collection inventoried...we will never know if EP heard them (that greatly varied collection) with 100& acuracy. Exceptions of course with Tom Jones,Gospel...

Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:45 am

Juan Luis wrote:EP probably heard it but since the house had younger kids like Stanley's, Priscilla,friends etc...

The young Stanley boys were not around much, if at all, in the 1960s. Elvis paid attention to the radio, and his guys bought him everything on the charts. The Beatles dominated the charts. He knew what was going on, and likely listened at least a bit to many different records, at least once.

Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The young Stanley boys were not around much, if at all, in the 1960s. Elvis paid attention to the radio, and his guys bought him everything on the charts. The Beatles dominated the charts. He knew what was going on, and likely listened at least a bit to many different records, at least once.

So Elvis told you this?