All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed May 16, 2007 3:22 am

Since 1957

1.good for you
2.why am i not surprised.

Ernst doesnt seem to care about 1970 Vegas Shows so Dennis Ferrante and Lene Reidel Mix and Master live stuff like "One Night In Vegas" release,this is one reason why i would get rid of this joker immediately.

"Patch It Up" Alternate and "Next Step Is Love" and the rest are gems and these cowboys are let loose on them :roll:

Ronnie Tutt did the most amazing drumming ever on "Patch It Up" especially just before the ending of the performance,this inspired Elvis to do that move where he leans back onto the floor.

I expect to be able to hear this super barage of drumming yet Ferrante has buried it in the mix

Next Step Is Love the Sweet Inspirations are different and do a soul type backing on this beauty and again they are hardly audible

Same for "I just cant help Believing" different soul type gem of a version totally wasted on the cretin that is Dennis Ferrante.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Country Hall of Fame, and the Gospel Hall of Fame,And Taking his place alongside Jackie Chan,Bruce Lee,Chuck Norris-Martial Arts Hall Of Fame,United States Kenpo hall of fame.

Ernst cd's should carry a health warning-this cd will in no way stimulate your senses-infact we have done everything within our power to make this so... :x

If you ban me-to the veryend i have gone down fighting and telling the truth!

Wed May 16, 2007 4:14 am

GERRY wrote:Dont worry new guardians of the Elvis legacy are stepping up to the plate and they care about sound quality.

2 Questions...

1... Why are You still here.

2... Don't You ever sleep?

Wed May 16, 2007 4:20 am

woodleyjohn wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:I enjoy good sound. But I don't dissect it. I don't sit there and wish the drums were here and the lead guitar was there. Or the backgrond singers were over here. Or that the overall mix was more like this instead of that. I'd never enjoy anything I listened to if I did that.

In short, my ears are satisfied with cd sound. I won't invest in SACD just because it has "better" sound. Next year there will something new with still "better" sound. I'm through playing that game.

I agree Jerry. I can't understand this on going quest for better sound when what we have is fine.
Fine is not good enough for me. Fine was the year 2000 when the processors had 1ghz of speed. A hard drive was 20Gb on average..probably less. This is a CD collectors and nothing wrong with wanting improvement. And because of us sound nitpickers we have "fine" sound today. Believe it or not..they listen..pretend not to..but they do. EP in 68 about sound "the engineers have certainly improved" ...PS. Sinatra sounds not only fine in the new boxset from Las Vegas but GREAT!! Is that too much to ask of EP live recordings?

Wed May 16, 2007 4:28 am

2 Questions...

Answer

What has it got to do with you?

Wed May 16, 2007 4:30 am

Juan Luis: I'm not against SACD. If Sony/BMG wants to release Elvis in SACD fine. But I'm not going to make the investment in hardware or software because I am FINE with what I have. You and others are free to do as you wish.

Wed May 16, 2007 4:33 am

GERRY wrote:
2 Questions...

Answer

What has it got to do with you?

Nothing really it's just that I am sat watching Shaun the Sheep with a 3 year old who has had a Nightmare and they are making more sense than You are.

http://www.shaunthesheep.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuim58ufQBo&NR=1
Last edited by Little Darlin on Wed May 16, 2007 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 16, 2007 5:27 am

JerryNodak wrote:Juan Luis: I'm not against SACD. If Sony/BMG wants to release Elvis in SACD fine. But I'm not going to make the investment in hardware or software because I am FINE with what I have. You and others are free to do as you wish.
Nothing wrong with having the option available..thats all. Thanks for posting Jerry.

Wed May 16, 2007 1:27 pm

woodleyjohn wrote:.... Wanting to see the Pied Piper of Cleveland however is another matter entirely.

The colours are a bit washed out, and there are a few mic 'pops' where Elvis holds it a tad too close, but the footage is quite enjoyable nonetheless.

Pity the young crowd weren't a bit more enthusiastic, though..........

Wed May 16, 2007 4:23 pm

woodleyjohn wrote:That'll be filed next to your complete version of Flaming Star then??? :D

It's with the 1955 Roy Orbison Show, and the Milton Berle Shows in lenticular colour........................

btw - anybody got a lenticular projector ?

Wed May 16, 2007 9:32 pm

healy wrote:That's good to know.

Budd and the DSD re-masters are fantastic.

And the kicker is, they sound great on cd.

Man, it would be GREAT to hear them on sacd.

Maybe someday...

For anybody that believes higher resolution automatically equals better sound quality you might find this recent interview with audio mastering engineer Art Sayecki quite interesting. The issue is actually not as black-and-white as some people might think it is:

http://musicindustrynewswire.com/2007/0 ... 158_212834

G-Man: How do you feel about 44.1kHz vs. 96kHz or higher?

Art Sayecki: In theory, the higher the sampling rate the better the quality. However I have heard some rock and pop mixes that sounded more interesting when mixed at 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz rather than at 192 kHz. It’s a little surprising and even counter-intuitive, but when you realize that switching the sampling rate in a converter is technologically quite complex and involves not just the switching of clocking frequency but also combing filters, cut-off filters and other algorithms and circuits, then you can easily see that in some cases this may cause certain variations in how the material is reproduced.

Wed May 16, 2007 9:47 pm

thenexte wrote:
healy wrote:That's good to know.

Budd and the DSD re-masters are fantastic.

And the kicker is, they sound great on cd.

Man, it would be GREAT to hear them on sacd.

Maybe someday...

For anybody that believes higher resolution automatically equals better sound quality you might find this recent interview with audio mastering engineer Art Sayecki quite interesting. The issue is actually not as black-and-white as some people might think it is:

http://musicindustrynewswire.com/2007/0 ... 158_212834

G-Man: How do you feel about 44.1kHz vs. 96kHz or higher?

Art Sayecki: In theory, the higher the sampling rate the better the quality. However I have heard some rock and pop mixes that sounded more interesting when mixed at 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz rather than at 192 kHz. It’s a little surprising and even counter-intuitive, but when you realize that switching the sampling rate in a converter is technologically quite complex and involves not just the switching of clocking frequency but also combing filters, cut-off filters and other algorithms and circuits, then you can easily see that in some cases this may cause certain variations in how the material is reproduced.
I am proud to say that with all the gear I have now...I do not need to read what someone thinks and actually listen for myself. He is talking btw about upsampling which does make rock a little less edgy BUT how would you like to hear AYLT??LOL!! I also have been transfering analog tape to 96khz 24bit and believe me it retains original sound much more than straight to 48khz DAT or even wav 44.1 16bit...Trust me! If some of you noticed sound improvement in my last dozen posts or so it was because of that...BTW..some bootlegers have followed suit!!!LOOOOOOOOL! Am I GOOD or WHAT?!! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :) :? :shock: :D :P PS. There will be always bad mastering and no exception with high resolution...but back to the FERRARI...You have the motor running but not tuned......after you fine tune it then GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :)

Thu May 17, 2007 1:18 am

Just found this...note comments re 3 track!

RCA LIVING STEREO SACD SET 7 (5 x HYBRID SACD)

Set Number Seven from the RCA Living Stereo Vault!

All Five of the 7th Edition of RCA's extremley popular Living Stereo SACDs for one low price!

This series of SACD’s has been a labor of love for RCA. Using 21st century technology to present the most sought-after 20th century classical recordings was a monumental undertaking. Finally, a major label has gotten it right; the multi-channel mixes are only employed on the original three-track recordings and only presented in a 3.0 Mix (utilizing only the front left, right and center channels). No “forced” pseudo rear-channel engineering!

All the discs in this series have a dedicated stereo mix and the multi-channel mix is either also in two-channel or in three-channel ("front only” surround layer) when available. (All discs have a stereo and multi-channel layer, but some discs have the same two-channel stereo program on both layers.) Our Highest Recommendation!

Thu May 17, 2007 1:58 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Just found this...note comments re 3 track!

All Five of the 7th Edition of RCA's extremley popular Living Stereo SACDs for one low price!

This series of SACD’s has been a labor of love for RCA. Using 21st century technology to present the most sought-after 20th century classical recordings was a monumental undertaking. Finally, a major label has gotten it right; the multi-channel mixes are only employed on the original three-track recordings and only presented in a 3.0 Mix (utilizing only the front left, right and center channels). No “forced” pseudo rear-channel engineering!

All the discs in this series have a dedicated stereo mix and the multi-channel mix is either also in two-channel or in three-channel ("front only” surround layer) when available. (All discs have a stereo and multi-channel layer, but some discs have the same two-channel stereo program on both layers.) Our Highest Recommendation!

Unfortunately all of the 50's and 60's tracks on the 30#1 Hits DVD-A had that dreadful pseudo rear-channel engineering (courtesy of David Bendeth). Why they didn't present at least the original 60's Nashville three-track recordings in 3.0 beats me. That'd be something interesting to release on SACD actually (original 1960-68 Nashville three-track recordings on SACD 3.0), I just doubt it's ever going to happen, as the article correctly states, releases like this one require a certain "labor of love".

Thu May 17, 2007 3:45 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Just found this...note comments re 3 track!

I HAVE BEEN SAYING THAT ALL ALONG! You are going to give me a heart attack! :lol: Image PS> MY VAN CLIBURN SACD<CD

Thu May 17, 2007 10:14 am

http://www.sa-cd.net/library/187/2

Thu May 17, 2007 2:37 pm

for me if we can hear Elvis in high resolution audio whether that's SACD, DVD A (or PCM Stereo/5.1) then why not? I personally want to get as close to the original sound as possible (I don't mean the mix as such) just the actual sound of a live voice/instrument. High Resolution gets you closer. I have recently got Springteen and Neil Young albums which are on DVD's using high resolution PCM stereo/5.1. They sound great and better than the accompanying CD. So in short I think Elvis deserves the best. If people want to stick with CD thats fine but we should have the choice.

The same goes for HD TV/Video - I want to see Elvis and the soundtracks produced in HD assuming decent improvements can be made which is not always the case. But this format also carries HD Audio as well so again why shouldn't we get the option.?
cheers Jamie

Thu May 17, 2007 4:49 pm

I personally want to get as close to the original sound as possible

Thanks to David Bendeth work this world is enjoying Elvis 30 years later-i wonder how many of today's artists will enjoy this 30 year5s from now?

Future generations are trusting us to look after EP's mastertapes-they are disintegrating to dust as we speak-dsd transfers and the like are an absolute priority.What you gonna tell them if we only have Mono recordings and the mastertapes are dust?

US sales of E1 4 mil with little promotion -i mean ALLC was not hit-soccar is nowhere in us-and 500,000 first week.

Thnks for listening.

Thanks to JXL And David Bendeth for this magic.

Set Elvis free from Ernst

Gerry

Can you match 4 Million U.S? 500,000 first week? little promotion?No Hit Single?.....can you match this?.....

There is a huge elephant sitting in the room , it has these words written on it's back...S O U N D

Lennon preached like a politician.Elvis was real.
Last edited by GERRY on Thu May 17, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 17, 2007 5:57 pm

Jamie wrote:for me if we can hear Elvis in high resolution audio whether that's SACD, DVD A (or PCM Stereo/5.1) then why not? I personally want to get as close to the original sound as possible (I don't mean the mix as such) just the actual sound of a live voice/instrument. High Resolution gets you closer. I have recently got Springteen and Neil Young albums which are on DVD's using high resolution PCM stereo/5.1. They sound great and better than the accompanying CD. So in short I think Elvis deserves the best. If people want to stick with CD thats fine but we should have the choice.

The same goes for HD TV/Video - I want to see Elvis and the soundtracks produced in HD assuming decent improvements can be made which is not always the case. But this format also carries HD Audio as well so again why shouldn't we get the option.?
cheers Jamie
Yes.