All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Elvis On SACD

Mon May 14, 2007 7:44 pm

Just to see if minds have changed and ask this question again. Would you purchase an EP compilation or album SACD hybrid disc if released? If you do not want to write opinion a simple YES or NO will suffice.

Mon May 14, 2007 7:45 pm

Yes.

Mon May 14, 2007 8:42 pm

Yes, due to the fact that BMG has to return to the absolute first generation tape, and remaster from there, but this time it should stay close to the original vinyl mixes without any tampering with anybody's own opinion on the sound and mix.
Also I would like an wellknown proffesional sound engineer to do the job and not a amateur who is more or less working from his home.
It is amazing that an American music legacy like the work of Elvis never get any proper care, either in the catalouge or in sound..lot of other performers has their catalouges out in the best way of presentation.

don't missunderstand my opinion, I am VERY happy with the FTD releases
giving us so much unreleased material but soundwise I'm not that happy.
I'm shure there is so much more to do for our man both in presentation
and soundwise.

Time is soon running out for the CD media, many labels are now releasing their catalouge for download only, and who wants MP3 when you could have the real deal soundwise as for example 24 carat gold etc.

At last I have nothing against Kevan Budd I'm very shure he does what he can, with the material he is provided, but there could be done so much more.

Blue Boy

Mon May 14, 2007 8:44 pm

original vinyl mixes

We should be aiming for Better than the original vinyl mixes-they had the control of the Colonel breathing down their necks when they were made-let's go for a lifelike representation.

Elvis wanted it with powerfull rythm,nice separation,punchy and strong like it was when he recorded it-the technology available today we can create the ultimate Elvis experience-we can make the best of the voice and the musicians.

Make full use of the format i.e 6 channel (dont settle for 2).And ensure SACD DSD (Direct Stream Digita Transfer)from original first generation mastertapes.

Dont let Ernst destroy this project.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Country Hall of Fame, and the Gospel Hall of Fame,And Taking his place alongside Jackie Chan,Bruce Lee,Chuck Norris-Martial Arts Hall Of Fame,United States Kenpo hall of fame.

Ernst cd's should carry a health warning-this cd will in no way stimulate your senses-infact we have done everything within our power to make this so...
Last edited by GERRY on Mon May 14, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 14, 2007 8:57 pm

:smt098

Mon May 14, 2007 11:00 pm

No way it should be in multi channel, and whatever Elvis wanted the sound
to be, still I want what once was heard when I bought them for the first time. No one could create what Elvis wanted it to sound, I belive that is what's happens now.....people think they have a clue to what might have
been Elvis choice. My opinion is that old recordings should stay true to what once was heard. Restore it from tape hiss, clicks, pops...give it a god
channel separation...try to clear out different voices instruments etc, but do not make a whole new sound out of it. Would be great to have both stereo and mono mixes when available,but in 2 channel. For now the worst job yet must be the upgrade of On Stage....totaly different to the original release.

He was the King and he deserves to get a proper catalouge in the best ever way, and throw out all those compilations and release the original albums again.

BB

Mon May 14, 2007 11:18 pm

No. Great expense to produce and to buy for limited improvement.

Multi-channel. Why on earth are some of you so keen on bringing back "electronically reprocessed for 6 channel."

Like reworking the Mona lisa to 3D.

Mon May 14, 2007 11:36 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:No. Great expense to produce and to buy for limited improvement.

Multi-channel. Why on earth are some of you so keen on bringing back "electronically reprocessed for 6 channel."

Like reworking the Mona lisa to 3D.
SACD is 2 channel as well. Many released that way. And multi could be as little as 3 channels like Van Cliburn piano SACD (RCA BTW) originally recorded 3 tracks and released SACD 2 channel option,multi option(3 this case)...hybrid means you can play in car if you wish. .....expensive????? people are willing to pay 50$$$ for a friggin bootleg live show!! And we are talking 20$$ tops.

Mon May 14, 2007 11:41 pm

GERRY wrote:
original vinyl mixes

We should be aiming for Better than the original vinyl mixes-they had the control of the Colonel breathing down their necks when they were made-let's go for a lifelike representation.

Elvis wanted it with powerfull rythm,nice separation,punchy and strong like it was when he recorded it-the technology available today we can create the ultimate Elvis experience-we can make the best of the voice and the musicians.

Make full use of the format i.e 6 channel (dont settle for 2).And ensure SACD DSD (Direct Stream Digita Transfer)from original first generation mastertapes.

Dont let Ernst destroy this project.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Country Hall of Fame, and the Gospel Hall of Fame,And Taking his place alongside Jackie Chan,Bruce Lee,Chuck Norris-Martial Arts Hall Of Fame,United States Kenpo hall of fame.

Ernst cd's should carry a health warning-this cd will in no way stimulate your senses-infact we have done everything within our power to make this so...
Stop it with EJ. I do not agree with you there....but tell you what..On SACD you can have original 2 channel mix as well as 5.1 for 1960 :arrow: 77. So everyone would be happy.

Mon May 14, 2007 11:44 pm

The lucky people in audience for the 68 Special didnt hear it in Mono-if you were there you would not have heard it in Mono.

Human hearing has allways been what it is and even though Elvis vocal was recorded in Mono The Orchestra were present so too the backing singers and the Band,scotty and the rest.

Dont try and tell me that all of this magic was being fed into a single mono speaker for playback cause that is one big lie.

And if left to people like Kiwi/Matthew/Ernst we are expected to leave all of this to Monaural sound, like from a standard radio, that comes from a single point,a single point having no dimensions!

So you want to stay true to the fact that it was recorded into Mono.

I want it to sound like the actual event as lifelike as possible,i dont mind a few overdubs exactly as they were.

We are not gonna touch Elvis vocal at all.

The Mona Lisa was complete it was a painting,what limitiations can you put onto the act of laying down paint onto canvas?

You cannot compare this to a Mono recording of The 68 Comeback for this is NOT complete-it sounds NOTHING like the real thing.

And dont worry Elvis vocal will not be touched.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Mon May 14, 2007 11:48 pm

GERRY wrote:The lucky people in audience for the 68 Special didnt hear it in Mono-if you were there you would not have heard it in Mono.

Human hearing has allways been what it is and even though Elvis vocal was recorded in Mono The Orchestra were present so too the backing singers and the Band,scotty and the rest.

Dont try and tell me that all of this magic was being fed into a single mono speaker for playback cause that is one big lie.

And if left to people like Kiwi/Matthew/Ernst we are expected to leave all of this to Monaural sound, like from a standard radio, that comes from a single point,a single point having no dimensions!

So you want to stay true to the fact that it was recorded into Mono.

I want it to sound like the actual event as lifelike as possible,i dont mind a few overdubs exactly as they were.

We are not gonna touch Elvis vocal at all.

The Mona Lisa was complete it was a painting,what limitiations can you put onto the act of laying down paint onto canvas?

You cannot compare this to a Mono recording of The 68 Comeback for this is NOT complete-it sounds NOTHING like the real thing due to the.

And dont worry Elvis vocal will not be touched.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Nothing you can do to mono recordings that will sound better by faking. 68 special is a mono and a crappy recording to boot.

Mon May 14, 2007 11:51 pm

juan

Sorry but you are wrong.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Mon May 14, 2007 11:52 pm

stan from tintane wrote:
GERRY wrote:Make full use of the format i.e 6 channel (dont settle for 2).

Mmmm... if Elvis is being used as an example he prefered mono for the ELVIS (68 album) so why not leave that in mono?
No Elvis sessions were recorded other than for mono and 2 stereo channels so maybe we should leave the channels alone?
that said burning love on DVD-Audio 30#1 hits sounds GREAT :shock:

But to answer the question of the post - NO !
He did not prefer anything...only recorded with equipment available which were the camera microphones or TV studio PA system. RCA should have been there.

Tue May 15, 2007 12:00 am

Better tapes exist but i dont want to open that can of worms im too busy.

In anycase anyone can watch the Special and see live Musicians etc,yeah I know for some of it Elvis was miming.

68 Speical did represent Elvis progressing as an artist too,first time singing with an Orchestra etc.

Dont limit yourself to zero dimentional sound when the event was nothing like this.

You think Sillerman is gonna take this attitude?

I trust Sillerman wants to make use of all of the cvastly evolved technology of today to give the world the Ultimate Elvis Experience-which means a sound of how it actually was on the day as lifelike as possible rather than a poor facsimilli of how it was recorded.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Tue May 15, 2007 12:26 am

Yes, I loved the DVD-audio that was released!

Tue May 15, 2007 12:43 am

elbo51 wrote::smt098
:shock:

Tue May 15, 2007 12:56 am

Nope. Even if the discs had been released back when some folks believed SACD had a fighting chance, I probably wouldn't have invested in a player. At this point, no way. SACD is going nowhere fast. Even the devotees acknowledge the fight is all but lost, last time I checked in on their discussions in February. As far as I'm concerned, for most of Elvis' catalog, we haven't tapped the full potential of the CD format, and given where CD sales are headed, we may never do so. Moving everything over to SACD isn't going to happen, and though I can't recall exactly where and when he said so, Ernst has said as much.

Tue May 15, 2007 1:14 am

I invested in an SACD player years ago only to find that the first Elvis surround release turned out to be a DVD-A! I've since given up on surround sound and if Warner's recent announcement of TIE/TTWII deluxe editions is any indication, they have too! The original theatrical versions of these movies are to be released on DVD in remastered "Dolby Surround 2.0" sound. There you have it, even the movie industry, who pioneered surround sound in the first place, no longer sees the need to spend the money and remix these titles for surround, so what impetus should the record labels have to do so with audio-only releases?

Tue May 15, 2007 1:25 am

They only talking about sacd because SACD you could do a dsd transfer of the mastertapes.

I mean i dont know what they have against DVD audio.

He seen the light during 69.

Whilst we are talking about the Speical-The Mighty Hal Blaine-did you know Elvis wanted him for his 69 comeback.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Tue May 15, 2007 1:36 am

GERRY wrote:Dont let Ernst destroy this project.

GERRY wrote:Ernst cd's should carry a health warning-this cd will in no way stimulate your senses-infact we have done everything within our power to make this so...

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29297

Tue May 15, 2007 1:56 am

No

Tue May 15, 2007 2:06 am

No

Tue May 15, 2007 3:37 am

stan from tintane wrote:"He also insisted on keeping Bones Howe's mono mixes on memories and if i can dream; he'd always preffered mono, and may have felt they had more power than the more transparent stereo versions"

Not my quote but page 262 of A LIFE I MUSIC.

He did not prefer anything...only recorded with equipment available which were the camera microphones or TV studio PA system. RCA should have been there.

what was that again?
I meant the live segments...and he prefered Bones mixes for SINGLE release which would have been different by someone else. But has nothing to do with MONO cause the singles were going to be in MONO no matter what Elvis felt or prefered. The rest is ERNST OPINION. And EP prefered MONO period. BUT that would mean if you want to hear how EP prefered ....forget STEREO completely....Know what I mean??

Tue May 15, 2007 3:39 am

Jovan wrote:No
One no will be counted from you only! :lol:

Tue May 15, 2007 3:43 am

thenexte wrote:I invested in an SACD player years ago only to find that the first Elvis surround release turned out to be a DVD-A! I've since given up on surround sound and if Warner's recent announcement of TIE/TTWII deluxe editions is any indication, they have too! The original theatrical versions of these movies are to be released on DVD in remastered "Dolby Surround 2.0" sound. There you have it, even the movie industry, who pioneered surround sound in the first place, no longer sees the need to spend the money and remix these titles for surround, so what impetus should the record labels have to do so with audio-only releases?
SACD does not (necessarily) equal surround. I have mono and 2 channel discs by Police and Rolling stones and classical music etc..please SACD=surround??? Not.