All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun May 13, 2007 1:32 pm

lets hope it and i want to be free are corrected you cant see his guitar in the closeup. a girl i know likes to see the tying up scene unedited. :D
you could see the whole scene on the 1st release of the vhs in 83.
wonder why they goofed it up in later editions,the colorized version is uncut.

Sun May 13, 2007 4:54 pm

The MGM Video ntsc Laserdisc of the original version of "Elvis thats the way it is" was in letterbox widescreen (non 16x9 anamorphic) 2:35:1 panavision aspect ratio and in mono.

Thanks David

Mon May 14, 2007 5:11 am

the se of ttwii was remastered in stereo using the stereo rca masters.

Mon May 14, 2007 6:04 am

ritchie valens wrote:the se of ttwii was remastered in stereo using the stereo rca masters.

ir was suposed to be remastered in 5.1...but it only came out in 5 :(

8)

Mon May 14, 2007 6:52 am

No such thing as 5 channel.

It's FL/FR/C/Lfe/SL/SR 6 channels-i.e 5.1

In future 8 channel and more and 8 speaker systems- one speaker drum kit another speaker bass etc etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Im showing this video to people-i get a kick out of their reaction-we need a creative dvd - or greatest hits dvd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXWhMef3DYo

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Country Hall of Fame, and the Gospel Hall of Fame,And Taking his place alongside Jackie Chan,Bruce Lee,Chuck Norris-Martial Arts Hall Of Fame,United States Kenpo hall of fame.

Mon May 14, 2007 7:45 am

which is better 17:8 or the orignal dvd versions of jailhouse rock,viva las vegas and ttwii?
which would you prefer?

Mon May 14, 2007 9:05 am

GERRY wrote:No such thing as 5 channel.

[/color]

You tell the people that made the disc. they have forgotten to put the Sub channel on!!!

Mon May 14, 2007 10:13 am

If the whipping scene was not in the theatrical release, we'll still get the real film without it.

Mon May 14, 2007 10:18 am

GERRY wrote:No such thing as 5 channel.

It's FL/FR/C/Lfe/SL/SR 6 channels-i.e 5.1

In future 8 channel and more and 8 speaker systems- one speaker drum kit another speaker bass etc etc.

[/color]

Also the DVD of Xanadu is only 4 channel. :wink:

Mon May 14, 2007 11:05 am

ritchie valens wrote:which is better 17:8 or the orignal dvd versions of jailhouse rock,viva las vegas and ttwii?
which would you prefer?

It looks like the new versions will have the original aspect ration (OAR) in anamorphic widescreen, so they should be much better than the previous versions of these three movies.

likethebike wrote:If the whipping scene was not in the theatrical release, we'll still get the real film without it.

It was in the theatrical release and the previous DVD - the issue is that the DVD zoomed the frame to crop the whip striking the body. There is no way of knowing from the technical specs of the new release whether that will happen again, but I doubt it.

Chris

Mon May 14, 2007 11:31 am

ChrisM wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:
ritchie valens wrote:in 16X9 widescreen is it the full scene nothing cut off?

Yes Ritchie.

No Richie.

Most feature films have a wider aspect ratio than 16x9 (1.78:1) and so there is still some slight cropping.

However, I think 16x9 is being misused on the EPE release to mean anamorphic, since they also quote a second aspect ratio for the same movie (e.g. 2.41:1). In other words, I believe will will get the OAR in a 16x9 anamorphic widescreen frame (i.e. black bars at the top and bottom of the screen).

The Jailhouse Rock whipping scene on the original release is already in widescreen, but the censorship is achieved by zooming in on the frame.

Chris

So you are saying TTWII will be cropped on the sides?

Mon May 14, 2007 12:53 pm

Lew Nyack wrote:So you are saying TTWII will be cropped on the sides?

Yes - if the EPE information is accurate ("16x9 digital transfer"). The OAR is 2.35:1 (16x9 = 1.78:1). IIRC correctly, the SE is cropped to 16x9.

However, the other movie descriptions misuse "16x9" to mean anamorphic and give a separate AR (e.g. 2.41:1), so this might just be an omisssion on the TTWII info.

Chris

Mon May 14, 2007 1:10 pm

As far as I am aware ," Thats the way it is", never had a stereo soundtrack for general cinema release , although there could have been a stereo print done for the premiere. I can remember a vhs uk mgm home video released around 1982 time frame , which had a jacket which read hi fi stereo on the spine, but turned out to be a hi fi mono.

16x9 is often a reference term to mean an "anamorphic transfer" rather than an aspect ratio.So I think the spec is correct.

David

Mon May 14, 2007 1:22 pm

I'm sure my old Betamax copy also had it in stereo. Although a long time back to remember.
I know I did watch it in stereo many years ago. But I might just be remembering my Laser Disc. I still have the bettamax copy of that and On Tour around somewhere. Just don't have anything to play it on LOL :lol:

Mon May 14, 2007 3:21 pm

ChrisM wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:So you are saying TTWII will be cropped on the sides?

Yes - if the EPE information is accurate ("16x9 digital transfer"). The OAR is 2.35:1 (16x9 = 1.78:1). IIRC correctly, the SE is cropped to 16x9.

However, the other movie descriptions misuse "16x9" to mean anamorphic and give a separate AR (e.g. 2.41:1), so this might just be an omisssion on the TTWII info.

Chris

Cheers.

Mon May 14, 2007 5:58 pm

sam,

My family and i attended the premiere of TTWII se in London and let me tell you that you could be correct regarding that missing Sub Lfe channel because the movie sounded as flat as a pancake.

I have email buddies that were actually at different concerts and they tell the truth of how it was.

I now have a DVD audio 5.1 channel dvd of TTWII se which has a low frequency Sub channel,i also have DVD audio 5.1 channel dvd of Live At Madison Square/Greatest hits etc.

Some fans just do not get it, they think 5.1 DVD audio is some sort of demon that will somehow remove the authenticity of the performances, they think Elvis existed in a zero or one dimensional sound universe.

Ernst is the biggest culprit - i suspect that he hated every single second that David Bendeth got to work with the Mastertapes-Next thing you know David Bendeth is gone.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Country Hall of Fame, and the Gospel Hall of Fame,And Taking his place alongside Jackie Chan,Bruce Lee,Chuck Norris-Martial Arts Hall Of Fame,United States Kenpo hall of fame.

Ernst cd's should carry a health warning-this cd will in no way stimulate your senses-infact we have done everything within our power to make this so...

Tue May 15, 2007 4:54 pm

Regardless of the technical questions about sound, aspect ratio, I think I speak for a majority here when I say I am disappointed that we're not at least getting a remastered print of the original EOT with maybe the Lost Performances outtakes as bonus footage among these DVD releases.

I will reserve any judgement on the releases, however, until they are actually released.

That said, I just got the ultimate film collection for Christmas so it'll be a wee bit difficult to jfinancially ustify purchasing all the new releases.

Tue May 15, 2007 5:56 pm

This would have made a great little piece to add into the special feature's of the Viva Las Vegas dvd along with an interview of Ann Margaret.

Mind you it's a suggestive sensual video-but i do not think Ann Margaret would mind-it's beautiful ART..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyGleSQt9dU

Shame the fans cant add input to these projects-some real talent out there.

Whatever - they should have involved Ann Margaret to promote this DVD that said Paramount are helping with the promotion so who knows.

In a perfect world on this upcoming 30th anniversary year we would be getting a 7-10 disc Anthology containing over 8 hours of unseen film--when will we get the Antholgy of all Anthologies? on the 50th?.

Tue May 15, 2007 9:17 pm

GERRY wrote:sam,

My family and i attended the premiere of TTWII se in London and let me tell you that you could be correct regarding that missing Sub Lfe channel because the movie sounded as flat as a pancake.

I have email buddies that were actually at different concerts and they tell the truth of how it was.

I now have a DVD audio 5.1 channel dvd of TTWII se which has a low frequency Sub channel,i also have DVD audio 5.1 channel dvd of Live At Madison Square/Greatest hits etc.

Some fans just do not get it, they think 5.1 DVD audio is some sort of demon that will somehow remove the authenticity of the performances, they think Elvis existed in a zero or one dimensional sound universe.

Ernst is the biggest culprit - i suspect that he hated every single second that David Bendeth got to work with the Mastertapes-Next thing you know David Bendeth is gone.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Ernst cd's should carry a health warning-this cd will in no way stimulate your senses-infact we have done everything within our power to make this so...

The Second Paragraph of Your Signature is very Offensive...any chance You can remove it?

Tue May 15, 2007 9:21 pm

Little Darlin wrote:The Second Paragraph of Your Signature is very Offensive..

...and the first paragraph makes no sense whatsoever.

Chris

Tue May 15, 2007 10:10 pm

AH trying to stir up trouble by quoting one of my earlier posts.

And the first makes no sense?

Elvis is in Rock,country and Gospel Hall of fame.

So he is unique,so there can only be one.

Get it?

I will try to make this the only time that i play your little game.

Do the work for me-look it up i read it years back.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE

Last edited by GERRY on Tue May 15, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 15, 2007 10:14 pm

GERRY wrote:Get it?

Ah right! Obscure reference, cunningly hidden by using the punctuation proficiency of a 6 year old. I get it!

Chris

Tue May 15, 2007 10:18 pm

Get Lost.

Wed May 16, 2007 12:24 am

From Elvis News

Here is the cover of the upcoming DVD set from Warner Brothers, "Elvis: The Hollywood Collection". This set is due for release July 3, 2007.

This set contains:

Charro!

The Elvis on screen here isn’t the clean-cut all-American kid ready to hit the beach or dance floor. Instead, stubble covers his face; his hat hangs low over his eyes and a bandanna hides the ugly scar that marks him as a killer. Written and directed by Charles Marquis Warren (creator of TV’s Gunsmoke, Rawhide and The Virginian), this stark sagebrush non-musical saga follows an ex-outlaw trying to go straight – but he’s got a score to settle when his own gang frames him for a heist.

Special Features:

- First-time widescreen video release [16x9 2.4:1]
- Theatrical trailer
- Subtitles: English & Français (feature film only)

Girl Happy

Rock 'n' roll’s first icon was ranked 6th among the top box-office stars when he headlined this film. Elvis portrays Chicago club singer Rusty Wells, who, when not wowing the crowds, has the added task of watching over the overly exuberant daughter of his mob boss (Harold J. Stone) while she’s on vacation in Fort Lauderdale. Shelley Fabares, Presley’s favorite leading lady and a singing star in her own right (her 1962 tune Johnny Angel was a #1 hit), plays the daughter. And the lively songs include Do the Clam, Puppet on a String, the title tune and eight others. Also featured are Mary Ann Mobley and Gary Crosby.

Special Features:

- New digital transfer of complete original theatrical version with Startin’ - Tonight song sequence now back in the film
- Theatrical trailer

Kissin’ Cousins

In his 15th film, the King takes on two roles in this backwoods romp, playing dark-haired Air Force Lt. Josh Morgan and Morgan’s adversary, blonde good ol’ boy Jodie Tatum. Lt. Josh’s assignment: try to convince his look-alike cousin Jodie to allow a missile site to be built on his land. A fistful of tunes Barefoot Ballad, It’s a Long Lonely Highway, Tender Feeling, the title song and 6 others), some whoop-it-up-dancing and 13 mountain cuties called Kittyhawks add to the down-home delights.

Special Features:

- New digital transfer of complete original theatrical version with Smokey - Mountain Boy song sequence now back in the film
- Theatrical trailer

Live a Little, Love a Little

In his 28th film, Elvis Presley plays frazzled photographer Greg Nolan, juggling two jobs and scrambling to keep his work life afloat while also contending with the kooky attentions of a beach beauty (Michele Carey). Four breezy songs, including the recent Elvis chart-buster, A Little Less Conversation and the Edge of Reality dream sequence add to the zippy fun. And, for the first time, Elvis takes on-screen chances with his public image doing more "adult" comedy.

Special Features:

- Theatrical trailer
- Languages & Subtitles: English, Français & Español (feature film only)

Stay Away, Joe

Elvis Presley portrays amiable Navajo rodeo star Joe Lightcloud, returning to his home to help his tribe become cattle ranchers. A talented ensemble of screen veterans joins Presley for this good-time, two-fisted tale filmed in and around Arizona ’s scenic Sedona. Burgess Meredith is Joe’s rascally father, Katy Jurado is his tough-love step mom and Joan Blondell is the shotgun-toting local gal setting her romantic sights on Joe. Plenty of fun and a couple of tunes (the title track and Dominique) are along for the ride too.

Special Features:

- Theatrical trailer

Tickle Me

Looking for part-time work until rodeo season opens, Lonnie Beale (Elvis) finds himself at a dude ranch/spa for actresses and models. Elvis enjoys his share of the laughs as he meets girl (Jocelyn Lane), loses girl and gets girl back - plus a fortune in lost gold. This film frolic tickles with a saddlebag of nine tunes, including I’m Yours and Such an Easy Question. There’s also considerable tickling of the funny bone since writers Elwood Ullman and Edward Bernds are veterans of the Three Stooges comedies.

Special Features:

- First-time widescreen video release [16x9 2.4:1]
- Theatrical trailer
- Subtitles: English (feature film only)

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.Updated: May 15, 2007

Wed May 16, 2007 12:26 am

Here is the cover art of the upcoming Paramount Pictures DVD set "The Lights! Action! Elvis! Collection". This set is due for release on June 26, 2007.

From the press release:

PHE is packaging eight classic Presley titles in a collectible blue suede case. The Lights! Action! Elvis! Collection will include King Creole, G.I. Blues, Blue Hawaii, Roustabout, Girls! Girls! Girls!, Fun In Acapulco, Paradise, Hawaiian Style and Easy Come, Easy Go. Considered by many to be Elvis’ finest acting performance, King Creole was also Elvis’ personal favorite of all his films and was directed by Michael Curtiz (Casablanca). G.I. Blues was the first film that Elvis made after returning from his stint in the army and features the all-time classic song “Blue Suede Shoes”. Elvis’ highest grossing film, Blue Hawaii, was filmed in part on location in the Hawaiian Islands, as were Girls! Girls! Girls!, which was nominated for a Golden Globe® for Best Motion Picture—Musical, and Paradise, Hawaiian Style. Elvis co-starred with a string of notable actresses including Ursula Andress in Fun In Acapulco, Barbara Stanwyck in Roustabout and Elsa Lanchester (best known for her role in Bride of Frankenstein) in Easy Come, Easy Go. All eight must-own titles are packaged together for the first time and feature sensational musical performances of beloved songs including “Hard Headed Woman”, “Can’t Help Falling In Love” and “Return To Sender”.Source: ElvisNews.com / Updated: May 15, 2007