All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat May 12, 2007 2:40 pm

JerryNodak wrote
You'll be able to watch the 4 missing tracks in the original TTWII.

Thanks Jerry, good to know. I already have the original Sanders version on DVD so it is not that important to me.

My point was - the SE had almost got it right last time around: the popular consensus of fans was that those four songs - and most definately " Just cant help belivin" should have been included in the SE- it would have been nice to have them all in their remastered version, in one continous film, without the annoying interviews and other clips.

Maybe we can look forward to an "upgraded" HD version sometime in the future?I was hoping that atleast some of these movies would have been transfered to HD.

Sat May 12, 2007 3:02 pm

I agree with you JB - it would have been nice to see the four missing songs - "I Just Can't Help Believin'," "Sweet Caroline," "I've Lost You" and Bridge Over Troubled Water - in "That's The Way It Is" (Special Edition). I'm hoping that three of these songs remain in the "twelve never-before seen outtake song/nonmusical" extra. In other words, I'm hoping they use what was originally planned for the special edition, which without these songs and those that were in "The Lost Performances" equates to approximately twelve never-before seen scenes. Of course, that leaves out "Bridge Over Troubled Water," which, along with "I've Lost You" has been released in remastered surround sound on "Elvis Movie Music Performances," which is/was a bonus disc on Graceland's "Elvis: The Ultimate Film Collection."

I know these songs are in the 1970 version of TTWII, but I doubt I'll watch that version more than once. I don't know if I can take the the cat, the guy with Coke bottle glasses and the guy singing "Tiger Man" more than once more in my life time!
Mystery Train

Sat May 12, 2007 4:30 pm

EPE just replied to my criticism of their posting the 'Rolling Stone' comments in the forthcoming Paramount and Warner DVD advertisement. Their reply was "The advertsement was Warners, not ours".

Fair enough, although ever hear about 'compounding the felony'. I will e-mail Warners to vent my criticism.

Brian :roll:

Sat May 12, 2007 6:22 pm

It seems like I'm the only one, but I am looking forward to the original TTWII in DVD. Which I don't have. Just wish I wouldn't have to buy the SE to get it.

Sat May 12, 2007 6:27 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:EPE just replied to my criticism of their posting the 'Rolling Stone' comments in the forthcoming Paramount and Warner DVD advertisement. Their reply was "The advertsement was Warners, not ours".

Fair enough, although ever hear about 'compounding the felony'. I will e-mail Warners to vent my criticism.

Brian :roll:

well done brian at lest it was not epe that put that statement out i guess thats something.

Sat May 12, 2007 7:00 pm

Bodie wrote:This is great news.

Doesnt say if this new version of TTWII has the 1970 version restored.

12 extra clips as well. :lol: :lol:

I thought it said the 1970 version was only in Dolby 2.0? To me that says this is a straight reissue of the original DVD...no remastering of picture OR sound!
12 extra scenes, fine, let's wait and see what they are...but to not remaster this film (or This Is Elvis apparently?) is a crime...like robbery.

Hoping I'm wrong,
Axe

Sun May 13, 2007 1:36 am

This is from the EPE site. It says that the 2000 version is in 5.1 but it doesn't say anything about the 1970 version.

Special Features:
• Disc 1: (2000 Special Edition)
o Restoration featurette Patch It Up: The Restoration of Elvis: That’s the Way It Is
o 16x9 digital transfer with 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio
o Presley career highlights
o Director/restorer filmographies
o Theatrical trailer
o Subtitles: English & Français (feature film only)

• Disc 2: (1970 Original Theatrical Version)
o Twelve never-before seen outtake song/nonmusical sequences
o Subtitles: English & Français (feature film only)

Sun May 13, 2007 1:53 am

I hope the 12 nonmusical/song sequences are restored at least.

Sun May 13, 2007 2:36 am

Actually, the EPE site says the 1970 version of TTWII is "theatrical 2.0 Dolby Surround Audio."

Mystery Train

Sun May 13, 2007 4:49 am

I scrolled down a little farther in the announcement for this:

ELVIS: THAT’S THE WAY IT IS 2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION
Catalog #: 79861
Run Time: 192 minutes/2000 Special Edition Rated PG/1970 theatrical version rated G
Both versions 16x9 Anamorphic 2.4:1/2000 Special Edition 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio/1970 theatrical 2.0 Dolby Surround Audio$20.97 SRP

This must be a straight transfer from the original. It appears they didn't put any effort into the original (as far as sound) and the 2000 version is exactly the same also.

RKS

Sun May 13, 2007 5:26 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:wow. dominic the impotent bull has been renamed "dominique". it's a french cow now, apparently. lol

There's a message in there E-Babe. :lol:

Sun May 13, 2007 5:29 am

in 16X9 widescreen is it the full scene nothing cut off?

Sun May 13, 2007 5:44 am

Hopefully Sony/BMG will release the soundtrack to This Is Elvis; but regarding the so-called press statement from Warner Bros, this is the only email I found: whvcustserv@emsi.echomail.com, to their Customer Service Department - hopefully they will get lots of emails

Sun May 13, 2007 5:57 am

Excellent news - finally some special editions
rick

Sun May 13, 2007 6:06 am

ritchie valens wrote:in 16X9 widescreen is it the full scene nothing cut off?

Yes Ritchie.

Sun May 13, 2007 6:14 am

no pan an scan on jailhouse rock i hope

Sun May 13, 2007 7:23 am

MysteryTrain wrote:Actually, the EPE site says the 1970 version of TTWII is "theatrical 2.0 Dolby Surround Audio."

Mystery Train

Looks like no effort here. Previous releases stated similar claims but it was
a very dull sounding mono. I expect the sound to be the same.

Sun May 13, 2007 7:57 am

So this is the way I see it.

I have the original version of ETTWII on dvd.

I have the special edition verson of ETTWII on dvd.

So now I have to buy those 2 versions again to get the 12 new scenes.

Sounds like another scam to me.

Sun May 13, 2007 8:27 am

ekenee wrote:So now I have to buy those 2 versions again to get the 12 new scenes.

Sounds like another scam to me.

So this is the way I see it, You could just skip buying this release ... :wink:

Sun May 13, 2007 8:29 am

steve in SC wrote:
MysteryTrain wrote:Actually, the EPE site says the 1970 version of TTWII is "theatrical 2.0 Dolby Surround Audio."

Mystery Train

How could Dolby 2.0 Surround Audio be the same as the original "Mono" soundtrack ... :?:

Please elaborate ...

Sun May 13, 2007 9:33 am

minkahed wrote:
steve in SC wrote:

Mystery Train

How could Dolby 2.0 Surround Audio be the same as the original "Mono" soundtrack ... :?:

Please elaborate ...

I have a bad memory but I though my old laser disc was in stereo!!!

8)

Sun May 13, 2007 10:04 am

Sam: Laser disc, wow! I never had a chance to get into those before they
lost out to the next "great" thing.

How are things down-under?

Sun May 13, 2007 10:06 am

steve in SC wrote:

Mystery Train

Its says on my original TTWII DVD:

Dolby Digital

English: 2.0 stereo

But it's not in stereo -- but in dull sounding mono as you say.

I complained to them at the time but got no reply.

Has there ever been a stereo version of this film? I doubt it, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Jan

Sun May 13, 2007 10:11 am

JerryNodak wrote:Sam: Laser disc, wow! I never had a chance to get into those before they
lost out to the next "great" thing.

How are things down-under?

Pretty Good. :D
If you never experienced the Laser Disc then you surely missed out !!!! :wink:

:lol:

Sun May 13, 2007 10:17 am

Lew Nyack wrote:
ritchie valens wrote:in 16X9 widescreen is it the full scene nothing cut off?

Yes Ritchie.

No Richie.

Most feature films have a wider aspect ratio than 16x9 (1.78:1) and so there is still some slight cropping.

However, I think 16x9 is being misused on the EPE release to mean anamorphic, since they also quote a second aspect ratio for the same movie (e.g. 2.41:1). In other words, I believe will will get the OAR in a 16x9 anamorphic widescreen frame (i.e. black bars at the top and bottom of the screen).

The Jailhouse Rock whipping scene on the original release is already in widescreen, but the censorship is achieved by zooming in on the frame.

Chris