All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri May 11, 2007 7:27 am

Daryl wrote:He has really limited himself in what he can do, sort of like an actor who gets pigeon-holed into a certain-type character ...

With your two most recent, typically hysterical postings, there certainly is a character that comes to mind when we see "Daryl" joining a topic.

You remind me of a Charlie Rich tune from the SUN era, "Everything I Do Is Wrong." But it's OK. A little levity is good for any MB.

Fri May 11, 2007 7:39 am

Daryl wrote:That's a load of bull. The only reason you can't compare the two is because Jorgensen doesn't know anything else besides Elvis. And sometimes I wonder if he even knows that subject all that well. Jorgensen should have diversified himself into working on other artists catalog besides Presley. He has really limited himself in what he can do, sort of like an actor who gets pigeon-holed into a certain-type character or a genre of film. Remind you of anybody?

Daryl

Uh, no, it is not a load of bull. Do you have any understanding of how the record business operates? Comparing Hip-O Select or Rhino to FTD is like comparing a 747 to a single prop plane. Hip-O select is an arm of Universal, it releases tons of recordings by various Universal artists produced and engineered by various individuals. FTD is an Elvis Presley collector's label which is overseen by an Elvis Presley expert and enthusiast.

Fri May 11, 2007 7:48 am

Hello,

Then why doesn't Jorgensen do a 5.1 DVD Audio/SACD? Again, cause he doesn't know how to. At least Bendeth had the balls to try something different. Jorgensen would much rather stick to putting out crappy soundboards with crappy mono sound (throw in an audience recording, a la "You Can Have Her" from time to time) and the endless gamut of outtakes that sound even closer and closer to the masters. That's pretty boring. Since you brought it up Doc, why doesn't your beloved Jorgensen do a Charlie Rich boxset now that he works for Sony/BMG which owns the rights to many of Rich's Groove and Epic recordings and can license the Phillips and Smash recordings?

Oh!, that's right. Jorgensen doesn't know much about Charlie Rich or else he would have done it by now.

Daryl

Fri May 11, 2007 8:07 am

Hello,

Midnightx wrote:

Uh, no, it is not a load of bull. Do you have any understanding of how the record business operates? Comparing Hip-O Select or Rhino to FTD is like comparing a 747 to a single prop plane. Hip-O select is an arm of Universal, it releases tons of recordings by various Universal artists produced and engineered by various individuals. FTD is an Elvis Presley collector's label which is overseen by an Elvis Presley expert and enthusiast.


The only reason FTD is limited is because of Jorgensen. Jorgensen is the one who made the decision to base FTD in Denmark, rather than the U.S. and it's his decision to focus solely on Elvis Presley on the label with the exception of a CD of demo songs included with "Writing For The King." that still have a link to Elvis being that they were submitted and in most cases recorded by Elvis. Again, Jorgensen is at fault that you and I can't compare FTD to those other labels. Jorgensen has invested too many eggs in one basket, namely the Elvis basket. Why doesn't he try to tackle something other than Elvis? Answer that question for me.

Daryl

Fri May 11, 2007 8:14 am

Hello Doc,

Wasn't "Everything I Do Is Wrong" for Phillips International, not Sun? Granted both labels were owned by Sam Phillips, they were indeed two separate entities.

Rock Scholar my @ss.

Daryl

Fri May 11, 2007 8:56 am

Daryl may I suggest tonning it down just a bit....an opinion you may have, but its just that, an opinion, do not and I repeat do not continue to
badger as it serves No purpose....

Your obviously not a fan of Ernst and may not be a fan of others, we get the point please move on with something a little more positive.... :D

You appear to be an intelligent man do not continue to show your un intelligent side.....I would like to believe your better than that...

Please take the hint... :wink:

Thank you....

PEP 8)

Fri May 11, 2007 9:57 am

Ernst has actually worked with a lot of different artists. Remember that he was the general manager of BMG Denmark in the 80's. When you visit his house, you will see several gold discs by a number of artists (mostly Danish). I believe that he was also instrumental in making the Dire Straits a success in Denmark.

So before you spout off your nonsense, Daryl, try to get your facts right first.

Fri May 11, 2007 10:39 am

Hello Rock Legend, :smt018

Long time, no speak. Maybe to you, since you live in a country with the population of roughly 5 million (July 2005 estimate) that seems impressive that Jorgensen has a few gold discs for 50-100 thousand sales but here stateside as country songbird and Canadian native Shania Twain would sing, "That don't impress me much." 50,000 or 100,000 just isn't a lot of records, from a U.S. perspective where the biggest selling album of all-time is the Eagles: Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 with 29 million. Or for that matter, Bendeth's baby "ELV1S 30 #1 Hits" sitting pretty with 4 Million. Any gold record Jorgensen may have acheived in Denmark with some no-name Danish vocalist/group will easily pale in comparision. And as for Dire Straits, did Jorgensen earn any gold records with them? Did he even work with them in the studio, for that matter? I seriously doubt it or you would have definitely mentioned it already. Irregardless, to try to take credit for a band's success in Denmark shows his true colors. Mark Knopfler and the boys deserve all the credit for any success that has come their way. Not some general manager at BMG Denmark.

So before you spout off your nonsense, Rock Legend, try to get your facts right first.

Daryl

Fri May 11, 2007 11:30 am

The point is that you said that he ONLY worked with Elvis, remember? I think that we've now established that this is not correct.
You are trying to worm your way out of this discussion by bringing sales figures into the topic (huh?), but that's not what we were discussing.
FACT:
You stated that Jorgensen worked ONLY with Elvis.
FACT:
Jorgensen has worked with many different artists.

Once again I have proven you wrong. Is that so hard for you to grasp? You are so blinded by your dislike for Jorgensen, that you will gladly change the facts to suit your twisted little agenda.

You haven't come a long way since those sick rhymes to the tune of 'Big Boss Man'.

For the record, I think Jorgensen is doing a tremendous job, and we should all be proud to call him our own.

Fri May 11, 2007 11:57 am

Rock Legend wrote: For the record, I think Jorgensen is
doing a tremendous job, and we should all be proud to call
him our own.


Agreed...We could always go back in time and end up getting
totally excited about releases like "Elvis Sings For Children' &
Grown Ups too !"
Image
Without Ernst' input ...what direction would RCA have taken???

"Elvis Sings For Children & Grown ups 30th Anniversary !!"
would have just been showing up right about now...

Without Ernst' input I could see that happening....

Now wouldn't that be a Hoot???....NOT...

There has to be some credit were credit is due for what Ernst
has done for the Elvis catologue over the years, perfect he is not....
but overall he's done a pretty good job.....which most are pleased with...

Even you Daryl can't say all that he has done was bad....

Because if that were the case he would have been gone years ago....

The Elvis fans would have made sure of that.....one way or another...

So in one way your kinda beating a dead horse.... :wink:

PEP 8)

Fri May 11, 2007 12:22 pm

PEP wrote:Without Ernst' input I could see that happening....


Without Ernst, I wouldn't be a hardcore fan. It's a simple as that. Yes, I liked Elvis before I read "A Life In Music" -- otherwise I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. But Elvis was just another artist I liked, I had no wish to own all his records or anything like that. But that book made me a hardcore fan over night. I haven't looked back since!

And without Ernst, there would be no FTD label. Just an example...

I think "Daryl" is just trying to piss us off, it's probably his idea of fun. No sane person can dislike Ernst and all he's done for the EP world.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri May 11, 2007 1:22 pm

Daryl wrote: Why doesn't he try to tackle something other than Elvis? Answer that question for me.

Daryl


If he was tied up with other artists, then Ernst wouldn't have the time dedicated to FTD. Therefore there would be less releases, less quality and this would, (once again) cause fans to moan and complain.

Fri May 11, 2007 1:29 pm

Doc
With your two most recent, typically hysterical postings, there certainly is a character that comes to mind when we see "Daryl" joining a topic.

:lol:

Fri May 11, 2007 5:18 pm

Daryl wrote:
The only reason FTD is limited is because of Jorgensen.

Daryl

No, the reason FTD is limited is BECAUSE the label is an Elvis Presley collector's label. It is not intended to be, nor was it ever intended to be, a reissue label for BMG to issue catalogue material for its entire artist roster. Again it is an ELVIS PRESLEY COLLECTOR'S LABEL. Hopefull it sinks in this time.

Fri May 11, 2007 8:41 pm

Hello,

PEP wrote:

Even you Daryl can't say all that he has done was bad....


Actually PEP, you're right. When the 50's boxset came out, hell yes I was excited. But again mistakes were made (A Big Hunk O' Love). Same goes with the '60s box ("My Little Friend mix", etc.), "Command Performances" (relegating the '60s movie soundtracks down to a two disc set), the '70s box (including live cuts found in many cases elsewhere instead of focusing on Elvis in the studio in the '70s), the Platinum boxset (too many previously released cuts), the '68 material (should have been done as a boxset instead of two, or three sets, if you count the first FTD), "Live In Las Vegas" (way too much song duplication, using the Feb. '70/'72 masters instead of unreleased versions), Rhythm & Country (song excerpts running over top main track a la "On Top Of Ol' Smokey" and "Softly As I Leave You."), "2nd To None", "Artist Of The Century" and "The Essential Elvis Presley" all suffer from Jorgensenitis (poor song selection), "That's The Way It Is" 3 CD (failure to include the studio versions of "I've Lost You" and "Patch It Up" and yet includes "Rags To Riches", a song recorded after "TTWII" was done filming). The last somewhat decent thing Jorgensen put out was "Today, Tomorrow And Forever" (although a few of the tracks were not previously unreleased) and despite poor mixes on many of the tracks.

You see, PEP, it's mistake after mistake after mistake. It truly is the vicious circle. Another of Jorgensen's mistakes is to not use the entire catalog based on his tastes. Take for example, "Love Me, Love The Life I Lead." How many CDs can this track be found on done during the Jorgensen era. Only one and that is the "Fool" album reissue ('93-94). That's it. Just because he don't like the song, doesn't mean that there aren't fans that do enjoy the song. Ultimately though, Jorgensen's track record speaks for itself.

'50s boxset (5 CDs) = 2 Million (actually 400,000 sets X 5 CDs)

'60s boxset (5 CDs) = 1 Million (actually 200,000 sets X 5 CDs)

Amazing Grace (2 CDs) = 2 Million (actually 1 Million X 2 CDs)

If Everday Was Like Christmas = 1 Million

Heart And Soul = 500,000

'70s boxset (5 CDs) = 500,000 (actually 100,000 sets X 5 CDs)

Platinum (4 CDs) = 500,000 (actually 125,000 sets X 4 CDs)

2nd To None = 1 Million

Grand Total = 4,325,000 total sets sold

Bendeth's baby "ELV1S 30 #1 Hits" = 4 Million

How is it possible that Bendeth does one and only one release and he nearly sells more than what Jorgensen has sold over the course of a decade (8 major releases).

Tony wrote:

If he was tied up with other artists, then Ernst wouldn't have the time dedicated to FTD. Therefore there would be less releases, less quality and this would, (once again) cause fans to moan and complain.


The quality control is already suffering on FTD. But you did hit it on the head. "There would be less releases." I would much rather have fewer releases that are top-notch than a whole gamut of releases where mistakes are prevalent.

PEP wrote:

Without Ernst' input ...what direction would RCA have taken???

"Elvis Sings For Children & Grown ups 30th Anniversary !!"
would have just been showing up right about now...

Without Ernst' input I could see that happening....


Oh, please PEP. Joan Deary and Greg Geller did some phenomenal releases prior to Jorgensen. Geller is still going strong to this very day having just done a definitive 4 CD package on Johnny Cash, "Cash: The Legend" a few years ago. "Elvis Sings For Children & Grown Ups Too!" was no different than what Disney did in 2002 with "Lilo And Stitch." It was to try to bring in a younger demographic into the fandom. Just because the album didn't cater to your hard-core wants, please don't dismiss it as fluff. The album actually shows the genius of the Colonel. The Colonel was smart enough to know that you constantly needed an influx of younger fans. Oh and please refrain from editing my posts for no such reason, as you've done already.

Daryl

Fri May 11, 2007 8:54 pm

Hello Daryl,

It's just a thought but, if You are so disenchanted with the Elvis Music Production etc. why don't You just leave it alone and find Someone else's work to Respect.

Apart from a slight number of disgruntled Listeners, the majority of this MessageBoard like the job Ernst is doing and can't wait for the next batch of FTD's.

Fri May 11, 2007 9:04 pm

Hello,

Little Darlin', what you are suggesting would be the equivalent of me blaming Elvis for all the mistakes that Ernst has made over the years. But to be honest, in the last few years I've grown further and further away from listening to Elvis (when I do listen to him though, I usually refer to pre-Jorgensen releases) and have turned to a plethora of other artists besides Elvis.

Daryl

Fri May 11, 2007 9:05 pm

Given what Ernst has brought to the table for years now, I find this negative talk about him, and the FTD label, pretty sad.

Fri May 11, 2007 10:22 pm

Daryl wrote: Oh and please refrain from editing my posts for no such reason, as you've done already.



Then I will have to spell it out for you.....so you totally understand why your post was edited.....

Please look at Guideline:

7- Do not mention names or email-adresses of persons when they might be getting problems, no matter who this person is or what these problems are.

An along the way keep these guidelines in mind as well, before You post...

1- If you have a complaint or commentaries concerning the board then send us an e-mail Don't try to lecture us on the board about what we should or not do. That includes Me !

3- Personal attacks

5- Do not fight any personal wars on this board.

10- Using a board member identity for causing problems on a thread by example will have the messages deleted and blocked access to this board.

Daryl I will say it again you appear to be an intelligent man in fact I personally do not mind a lot of what you write, however some times you have to realize enough is enough or when to quit while your a head.....

I personally think your an asset to the board while some may not at this time....don't take what you have an flush it down the toilet so to speak....

It's good to have a good debate now an again with any topic and with anyone, but you also need people to debate with too, unless you want to do it all by yourself.....an end up looking like a fool, which I do not think you are...Are you???

At some point you have to know when to pull back, instead of being told to do so, like you are being told now.....

You have to realize I also react to complaints, if I get too many about the same person there's a problem......

So cool the jets, have an opinion an move on....


Try adding a more positive additude towards something everyone can enjoy and also hopefully agree upon as a whole....in the end.

I'm not saying you have to be perfect an wear a Halo everytime you post, but the bottom line Do Your Best to try to get along with not just one person.....

An keep this in mind what I've said here, this is Not Debatable between You and I or up for Discussion.....

Get my driff.....

Carry on with this post if you like or start another thread, we now understand You are Not a Fan of Ernst...move on to something else an lets hope its not to cut down someones else's long term career....

People make mistakes, try focusing on the positives a little more than the negatives.... :wink:

Try coming up with idea's or suggestion as the way things should be
that will work for all concern without putting someone down......

If you do that you will see People will sit up an take notice more of what you say than to try an block you out....

Try it I know you can do it..... :smt023

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Fri May 11, 2007 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 11, 2007 10:44 pm

Hello PEP,

7- Do not mention names or email-adresses of persons when they might be getting problems, no matter who this person is or what these problems are.


Are you suggesting that Rock Legend is getting problems. He had only posted once in this thread and I hadn't seen him post in a while. So what problems are you referring to???

5- Do not fight any personal wars on this board.


Exactly what personal wars am I fighting? Rock Legend was the one who brought up a previous spat, not I. Personally I think some people take this messageboard way too seriously like it's life or death. I for one don't subscribe to that notion.

3- Personal attacks


I've stated fact after fact after fact, for the most part. If you consider that personal attacks, that's your problem.

10- Using a board member identity for causing problems on a thread by example will have the messages deleted and blocked access to this board.


What problems? I don't seem to have a problem with Doc. comparing me to Charlie Rich's "Everything I Do Is Wrong." Is it that I'm more thick-skinned than others. Doubtful. I don't put too much credence into a messageboard, as if again it were life or death.

Daryl

Fri May 11, 2007 11:04 pm

Daryl wrote:Hello PEP,

7- Do not mention names or email-adresses of persons when they might be getting problems, no matter who this person is or what these problems are.


Are you suggesting that Rock Legend is getting problems. He had only posted once in this thread and I hadn't seen him post in a while. So what problems are you referring to???

No, what I am suggesting is you are Not allowed to use anyone's name, if they so desire not for it to be brought up, I was asked to do the edit so leave it at that....

5- Do not fight any personal wars on this board.


Exactly what personal wars am I fighting? Rock Legend was the one who brought up a previous spat, not I. Personally I think some people take this messageboard way too seriously like it's life or death. I for one don't subscribe to that notion.

This was brought up as a future reference, only :wink:

3- Personal attacks


I've stated fact after fact after fact, for the most part. If you consider that personal attacks, that's your problem.

No, that's not my problem, again this was used in the context of future reference more so than anything else, but if you read between the lines some members are feeling your going after Ernst just for the sake of, because you feel you have that right, sorry but you have to know when to quit....the point has been made....your opinion has been expressed ...let it go already....

10- Using a board member identity for causing problems on a thread by example will have the messages deleted and blocked access to this board.


What problems? I don't seem to have a problem with Doc. comparing me to Charlie Rich's "Everything I Do Is Wrong." Is it that I'm more thick-skinned than others. Doubtful. I don't put too much credence into a messageboard, as if again it were life or death.
Daryl, once again this was used more so for your future reference a friendly reminder...nothing more.....
Daryl


Try digesting some of the other things I said....as its just not me saying it....

Alright !..... :wink:

Have a nice day..... :D

PEP 8)

Fri May 11, 2007 11:24 pm

Hello PEP,

but if you read between the lines some members are feeling your going after Ernst just for the sake of, because you feel you have that right


No, it's because nobody else is willing to devote the time towards the argument. Why else is it that anytime someone else makes a negative comment about Ernst/FTD/Kevan Budd etc. on this messageboard there are efforts made by "some members" to squelch that opinion. This has been going on now for a few years. Don't think for a minute that all the complaints lodged against me are all valid. And at the same token, don't think that all the complaints levied towards Ernst/FTD/Kevan Budd are invalid.

But you are right in one regard. I should accentuate the positive. I'm really looking forward to the new Warner Brothers/Paramount DVDs. Thank God there is some non-Jorgensen Elvis product coming this year. :D

Daryl
Last edited by Daryl on Fri May 11, 2007 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 11, 2007 11:35 pm

Hello,

Rock Legend wrote:

You are trying to worm your way out of this discussion by bringing sales figures into the topic (huh?), but that's not what we were discussing.


Rock Legend, you are the one who brought up Jorgensen's gold records on his wall at his home, did you not. How are gold records achieved? THROUGH SALES.

Daryl

Fri May 11, 2007 11:48 pm

Daryl wrote:Hello PEP,

but if you read between the lines some members are feeling your going after Ernst just for the sake of, because you feel you have that right


No, it's because nobody else is willing to devote the time towards the argument. Why else is it that anytime someone else makes a negative comment about Ernst/FTD/Kevan Budd etc. on this messageboard there are efforts made by "some members" to squelch that opinion. This has been going on now for a few years. Don't think for a minute that all the complaints lodged against me are all valid.
Agreed, I don't feel your 100% wrong, you have brought up some interesting points, but maybe its more how you have presented the points, one after another in the way you have done it, has put some members back's up against the wall.....

It's all in the presentation Daryl.....

Like I have said Ernst is not perfect an I'm sure he would be the first one to come forward to admit this, however if all that can be seen or pointed out is all the mistakes One has done without any Pat's on the back for things a person has done right, that person's ears are not going to listen to You or Anyone.....to beable to learn from their mistakes, if in fact they are mistakes....

Pointing out mistakes can be presented in a way of what you feel should have been the better way to go, without putting someone down, where in the end the idea You or Anyone have come up with, if good enough should entise the majority to end up agreeing with You or Anyone who presents the idea.....

This makes what You or Anyone says, more right than wrong.....then just being right to yourself only...

Meaning anyone who feels this way....about what they say....or do.....

I wouldn't mind hearing from you what direction FTD should go and why
in detail step by step?

You would be limited however because of course you wouldn't have the same access to know what is left in the vaults.....

But I'm guessing you have a pretty good idea....

Now, that I think would be a good debate....and all could learn and have their opinions heard, and who knows maybe FTD or Ernst would listen as well, if the idea or idea's were good enough...... :wink:

PEP 8)


Sat May 12, 2007 12:39 am

Hello PEP,

First of all Ernst/Roger need to take a break for at least a year from both a mainstream and a FTD release. They have oversaturated the Elvis market to the point where fans are struggling to keep up with their output. So I would suggest that after the 30th in August, they take a long break. There is practically no demand whatsoever for new Elvis CD, whereas the demand is high for Elvis DVDs. During this time off, they should devote themselves towards working with EPE and the major film companies/entities that own Elvis' films, Warner Bros., Paramount, NBC, MGM/UA, Fox and Universal towards creating the Elvis equivalent of the "Beatles Anthology." As an audio companion to this proposed "anthology" Ernst/Roger should stick strictly to recordings as they were released during Elvis' lifetime. This should be the project all parties should be on board for, not some FTD Sun box that might sell 2-3 thousand. Why it has taken EPE so long to get on board with an anthology is beyond me considering they began mentioning it around 1999-2000 and then it got pushed back because of all the documentaries done around the turn of the century; that EPE didn't want theirs to get lost in the shuffle. Well, seven years later and still no anthology.

As for FTD, like I said before they should take an obvious break. When FTD does resume, no way can it go back to putting out 3 projects at one time. That's only going to oversaturate the market again. They need to stick to 4-6 a year.

As for the type of releases I would like to see FTD do when they do resume. How about:

World Wide Gold Award Hits and The Other Sides (presented in the original mono) - Hardly anyone considers these two sets "classic" albums but they most definitely are.

A 4-CD budget boxset of all four volumes of "A Legendary Performer."

From Memphis To Vegas/From Vegas To Memphis - FTD classic album with the "In Person" set including the remaining '69 live masters chosen by Felton Jarvis.

How about a FTD DVD? Or for that matter, a website too? Or what about a 5.1 DVD-A release of the MSG concerts.

Where's the Nashville '71 FTD?

At the end of the day though, what bothers me is that all of the stuff that got leaked by the Australia website regarding Sony/BMG's plans isn't the least bit to be excited about.

"Elvis At The Movies" - don't I already own this under a different title, "Command Performances."

"Viva Las Vegas" - have 3 complete '69 shows already. Do I really need another one?

"The Essential Elvis Presley" - didn't I just get this back in January?

Another singles boxset of 20 CDs - a bit expensive but I kinda liked the previous U.S. one.

Where's a boxset of goodies when you need one?

Daryl