All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat May 12, 2007 1:09 am

Daryl wrote:How about a FTD DVD? Or for that matter, a website too? Or what about a 5.1 DVD-A release of the MSG concerts.

Where's the Nashville '71 FTD?

A dvd from FTD?... :wink: don't think so. A 5.1 DVD release of MSG?... :shock: impossible.

Ernst has always said that FTD has no budget at all for a DVD release of any kind. Considering the amount of work that would need to get the MSG footage watchable, enjoyable and perfect...don't think it's gonna happen.

Sat May 12, 2007 1:22 am

Hello,

A DVD-Audio release of both MSG concerts, not a DVD video.

Daryl

Sat May 12, 2007 2:07 am

Daryl raises some interesting points about the over saturation of the market. However, I have to say I feel very fortunate - firstly to have the FTD label and secondly to have someone like Mr J at the helm - I look forward to many more years of quality products - we've never had it so good - really!

You don't realise how good something is, until it's gone!

Sat May 12, 2007 2:17 am

Daryl, I couldn’t disagree more. The Elvis market is not oversaturated. If anything, we need to get more releases. With your suggestion, we’ll never get all the good stuff. Think about all they have to cover, all the studio sessions and all the tours and hotel engagements.

Per

Sat May 12, 2007 4:33 am

Daryl wrote:Hello PEP,

First of all Ernst/Roger need to take a break for at least a year from both a mainstream and a FTD release. They have oversaturated the Elvis market to the point where fans are struggling to keep up with their output. So I would suggest that after the 30th in August, they take a long break. There is practically no demand whatsoever for new Elvis CD, whereas the demand is high for Elvis DVDs.

Well, Daryl my response to this is, it's a nice thought, but it is unlikely this will ever happen anytime soon, for the Number One Reason an I'm going to have to say a bad word here....MONEY.....because that's what it comes down too, both at Sony/RCA/FTD's end and Ernst's and Roger's end.....

No record company at this time is going to back away from something like this if they are still making money on both sides of the fence, as they do not know what the future will hold as they feel the future looks bleak for them as it is.

If FTD is still making them money, no mattter how small the amount.....if the money is there they want it and they want it now...if things slow down they will deal with it then and then valuate the situation at that stage...

The music industry as whole as we know is in a decline and inreturn the Records companies know their time is running out an it comes down to the bottom line.

Their profit is not what it used to be and they inreturn feel they will continue to strike while the iron is some what still Hot....or at least burning a little flame.....squeeze and squeeze until there is nothing more left out to squeeze is the way it has always been and the way it will always be.....

So again that is a nice thought, but we also have to deal with realities and the way they may react to decisions, where you or anyone need to work with the program as it is.....

Thus the only way this change will happen, is if Elvis fans stop buying in the numbers they need or expect and then and even then the decision maybe to pack things up and let it all rot for another generation...

So be careful what you may wish for...as this may come sooner than you think... :shock:

During this time off, they should devote themselves towards working with EPE and the major film companies/entities that own Elvis' films, Warner Bros., Paramount, NBC, MGM/UA, Fox and Universal towards creating the Elvis equivalent of the "Beatles Anthology." As an audio companion to this proposed "anthology" Ernst/Roger should stick strictly to recordings as they were released during Elvis' lifetime. This should be the project all parties should be on board for, not some FTD Sun box that might sell 2-3 thousand.

Daryl I agreed with you, at the same time my guess is Ernst and Roger will be involved in the project you speak of like a dirty shirt, once given the Green light.....but who's to say they haven't been doing something behind the scenes already, but even if they haven't been, my guess is this type of project is not too far off nor is it something that I'm sure is probably in the back of Ernst's mind from time to time....just like it is with any Elvis fan.....as I'm sure he will and does have the passion for the project when ready to go, tho he may run out of steam by the time he hits Elvis' 70's decade.....which there may be a need for someone else to pick up the slack.....if he does not feel he can give it his all.....

But then again who else is there ...who else would You or Anyone recommend?

Why it has taken EPE so long to get on board with an anthology is beyond me considering they began mentioning it around 1999-2000 and then it got pushed back because of all the documentaries done around the turn of the century; that EPE didn't want theirs to get lost in the shuffle. Well, seven years later and still no anthology.
As frustrating as it is, patience is a virtu......the time will come when we are rewarded with this project...my guess is within 3 to 5 years.....

As for FTD, like I said before they should take an obvious break. When FTD does resume, no way can it go back to putting out 3 projects at one time. That's only going to oversaturate the market again. They need to stick to 4-6 a year.
My guess is, you will eventually get your wish sooner than you may think :twisted:

As for the type of releases I would like to see FTD do when they do resume. How about:

World Wide Gold Award Hits and The Other Sides (presented in the original mono) - Hardly anyone considers these two sets "classic" albums but they most definitely are.
Sorry, can't agree....I wouldn't be personally too excited about this type of project :?

A 4-CD budget boxset of all four volumes of "A Legendary Performer."
This is a maybe, but still I'm not too excited about this one either, we all have this material in one form or another, tho if it's for generating money, I could maybe see it working, maybe.... :?

From Memphis To Vegas/From Vegas To Memphis - FTD classic album with the "In Person" set including the remaining '69 live masters chosen by Felton Jarvis.
Here again, I'm sorry to say, I'm not too excited about this either, because we have it all and if not will soon have it all once again through an import series ...

How about a FTD DVD? Or for that matter, a website too? Or what about a 5.1 DVD-A release of the MSG concerts.
This idea isn't bad....... and it is one that I think Ernst will eventually end up doing, the MSG Concert...I'm a little surprised the website isn't up an running yet, but hey we have FECC to count on :wink:

Where's the Nashville '71 FTD?

Well, here again Daryl my guess is with enough requests for something like that it will happen....can't see why it wouldn't :D

At the end of the day though, what bothers me is that all of the stuff that got leaked by the Australia website regarding Sony/BMG's plans isn't the least bit to be excited about.

"Elvis At The Movies" - don't I already own this under a different title, "Command Performances."
Agreed, not too excited about this one :x

"Viva Las Vegas" - have 3 complete '69 shows already. Do I really need another one?

I do, Tho I would much prefer another 70 show, still...I'll take the 69' :wink:

"The Essential Elvis Presley" - didn't I just get this back in January?
Agreed not too excited about this one either, tho I do not think it's meant for the hard cores anyway :x

Another singles boxset of 20 CDs - a bit expensive but I kinda liked the previous U.S. one.

I bought the first, unlikely I will buy this one, but ya never know :twisted:

Where's a boxset of goodies when you need one?

I guess this just isn't the year.....why is hard to believe, being the 30th Anniversary an all, but I know what you mean

Daryl

By the way my wants are more studio material from any period,
a 57' show would be extremely cool....a 70' In Concert show from lets say Houston or one of the earlier tours of this year would be great or a 71' On tour soundboard would be just as cool.....if available....

A request to have some of the hardcores come up with something and beable to have opportunity to work with FTD for the one project picked......from beginning to end....

Sort of like a contest for the best idea for what to do with what could be available to work with......

Hope we didn't go too far off the track for what this thread started out to be asking....

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Sat May 12, 2007 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 12, 2007 5:22 am

Daryl wrote:Oh, please PEP. Joan Deary and Greg Geller did some phenomenal releases prior to Jorgensen. Geller is still going strong to this very day having just done a definitive 4 CD package on Johnny Cash, "Cash: The Legend" a few years ago. "Elvis Sings For Children & Grown Ups Too!" was no different than what Disney did in 2002 with "Lilo And Stitch." It was to try to bring in a younger demographic into the fandom. Just because the album didn't cater to your hard-core wants, please don't dismiss it as fluff. The album actually shows the genius of the Colonel. The Colonel was smart enough to know that you constantly needed an influx of younger fans. Oh and please refrain from editing my posts for no such reason, as you've done already.

Daryl

When you defend Elvis Sings for Children and Grown Ups Too, just after nit picking the track selections and quality of releases such as the TTWII 3 CD set, I think it shows your bias against Ernst is clouding your judgement. Had Ernst released the Elvis Sings... album, you would be crucifying him for it.

Sat May 12, 2007 5:26 am

Daryl wrote:Hello,

A DVD-Audio release of both MSG concerts, not a DVD video.

Daryl

Pretty sure it wouldn't sell in sufficient numbers. People who buy DVD-Audio are very much in the minority.

Sat May 12, 2007 8:05 am

Daryl wrote:Hello PEP,

First of all Ernst/Roger need to take a break for at least a year from both a mainstream and a FTD release. They have oversaturated the Elvis market to the point where fans are struggling to keep up with their output. So I would suggest that after the 30th in August, they take a long break.

Daryl

BMG/Sony over saturates the market with loads of compilations that have the same content. That is the big problem with the Elvis Presley catalogue.

Again, FTD is a collector's label. In general, the audience and consumer base for collector's labels are hardcore fans that want as much material as possible from an artist's vaults. FTD has not over saturated the collector's market (other than rehashing previously released material on new releases - but that is another discussion altogether). Ernst has made it clear that many fans waited 30+ years for vault releases and these same fans may not have 30 more left, so FTD feels it is necessary to keep a steady flow of material coming.

You are going to be in a very small minority if your position is for Ernst and Roger to take a break from their commitment to release material from the Elvis Presley vaults.

Sat May 12, 2007 8:34 am

TJ wrote:
Daryl wrote:"Elvis Sings For Children & Grown Ups Too!" was no different than what Disney did in 2002 with "Lilo And Stitch."

When you defend Elvis Sings for Children and Grown Ups Too, just after nit picking the track selections and quality of releases such as the TTWII 3 CD set, I think it shows your bias against Ernst is clouding your judgement.

Actually, it is very clear what Daryl's intentions are on this MB.

Sat May 12, 2007 9:46 am

I get your point Doc, but in any case his arguments are poorly conceived.

Daryl wrote:
They have oversaturated the Elvis market to the point where fans are struggling to keep up with their output.

How can you possibly complain about about struggling to keep up?

Plainly your argument is riddled with inconsistencies: For a start, you are implying that there are an abundance of worthy titles they would like to purchase; secondly, why not simply be glad that this material is available for those who wish to purchase it.

There is practically no demand whatsoever for new Elvis CD,

Then why are they still being issued?

The fact that they sell is the obvious justification for their existence--it's a business remember!

Clearly your agenda is purely personal which you seek to exaggerate by supposing you represent a majority view. As the continuing sales on both mainstream and FTD titles show, this is demonstrably not the case.
Last edited by Mike S on Sat May 12, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 12, 2007 10:57 am

I think PEP is a little too active in deleting words & phrases out of our posts.

OK, a post might need deleting if someone goes too far, or goes against the guidelines, but I find this crass censorship petty and demeaning.

This is the 21st century, after all.

My father fought in a war to preserve my freedom of speech.

Is this the modern equivalent of Hitler's book burning ?

Sat May 12, 2007 11:20 am

Daryl wrote:First of all Ernst/Roger need to take a break for at least a year from both a mainstream and a FTD release.

You're kidding, right?

Daryl wrote:They have oversaturated the Elvis market to the point where fans are struggling to keep up with their output.

Speak for yourself. Were you around in the 1980's? Do you not remember what true Elvis fans had to go through?

Daryl wrote:So I would suggest that after the 30th in August, they take a long break. There is practically no demand whatsoever for new Elvis CD.

How do you come up with this stuff?

Sat May 12, 2007 11:22 am

Daryl is Johnny Rivers your cousin? You can't seem to get off that topic.

As for Ernst, he does Elvis because that's what he was hired by BMG to do. He wouldn't have been able to achieve all that he's achieved without that solitary focus. And the FTD label was designed solely to take advantage of BMG's greatest asset.

Although I pointed some minor criticism at him in a previous post- the man has done a stunning job since coming on board. Think of the music he's found. When I saw "A Hundred Years from Now" on the sticker for the '70s box I said "What the hell is that?" I had never even heard of Elvis doing that song. Same goes for "It's Different Now", "Lady Madonna". All through the 1990s I was flabbergasted time and again at what Ernst gave us that I never really dreamed we would see. When Greg Geller, who is a great compiler, was here he gave us a side of '68 special stuff. Ernst was the one who finally gave us both stand up and sit down shows. He knew what they meant to Elvis and to his career. Or what about the alternate MSG show with a great cover. Hoped to find it on bootleg someday and there it was in a Circuit City.

As I mentioned before he was also the one who knew what was out there and gave us stuff in the mainstream that had been bootlegged for years like "You're the Boss".

Think of the presentations he has given. It's not obvious now but when The King of Rock N' Roll (which by the way some have claimed has a sold a million total units) box came out, it flew in the face of the previous boxed set model which was to choose some career highlights over a series of discs sprinkled with rarities. This set was a complete collection of recordings. This had scarcely been done in the mainstream. You might find some collector's labels that did a complete set of doo wops and there was that Buddy Holly collection in the '70s but nothing was geared towards the mass consumer like this. The set along with Guralnick's first course started the turn of an almost 15 year decline in Elvis' reputation. It was stunning work. That he was like Geller smart enough to corral Guralnick to do liner notes only added to the good news especially since Guralnick came up with new stories on a topic that seemed dead. The stamps were extra icing on top. Even the title made an important statement- The King of Rock N' Roll. After Public Enemy, some may have been tempted to back away from that grandiose claim. Ernst knew Elvis' music presented the right way would back it up. That he announced that a future sets would be coming from the '60s and '70s made another statement. In 1993, I was surprised when I picked up a copy of Rolling Stone and found a five star review for the '60s set. The tide had been turned largely because of Ernst's work.

Think of the stuff he was able to get released as well. It may not seem like much of a feat to get an SE soundtrack of a super popular flick like Blue Hawaii on the market but Ernst managed to give us songs from Speedway and Double Trouble which weren't even that popular in the 1960s. In fact at one point in the 1990s BMG had every single Elvis master recording in print. How many other artists with a similar size catalogue can you say the same? This isn't the Beatles with 14 albums and some odd singles, this is an artist with approximately 700 titles. That's a lot of music and Ernst found a way to get it all out there. "Love Me Love the Life I Lead" may have not been excessively anthologized but it was out. There was a chance to hear it and buy it.

Plus, his packaging before the CD market dive bottomed and the label gave up on mainstream releases, his packages always presented the music in the best possible light. A collection like Burning Love or Tomorrow is a Long Time went a long way towards redeeming those particular periods in Elvis' career.

And whatever flaws the FTD label has had I would think it's pretty obviously a success. Some of the better FTDs like the Viva Las Vegas SE, Memphis Sessions, One Night in Vegas, and Silve Screen Stereo could have been released in the mainstream without the latest hint of embarrassment. In terms of sheer sonic quality and quality of performance some FTDs will be lesser than others because of the nature of collector's CDs. Yet even within that limitation, the label still turns out big time quality product like Let Yourself Go.

Yes FTDs are too expensive. Yes some of them have been pedestrian from an objective overall world view. It's unfair to ask Unchained Melody to equal Blonde on Blonde or From Elvis in Memphis just as it's unfair to expect the Hippo Four Tops' rarities set to equal their '60s master 45 releases. Yes, a few of the FTDs have been a little short on running time and rarities. But Ernst Jorgensen is along with Peter Guralnick and maybe Greil Marcus, the towering figure in the posthumous Elvis world.

Sat May 12, 2007 12:06 pm

ColinB wrote:I think PEP is a little too active in deleting words & phrases out of our posts.

OK, a post might need deleting if someone goes too far, or goes against the guidelines, but I find this crass censorship petty and demeaning.

This is the 21st century, after all.

My father fought in a war to preserve my freedom of speech.

Is this the modern equivalent of Hitler's book burning ?

No Colin lets get real,.... all I'm trying to do is keep the peace and your right it is the 21st century, however you have to understand it is not you getting the PM to complain about this person or that person from members of this board ...it is I.....so please keep that in mind.... :wink:

PEP 8)

Sat May 12, 2007 12:15 pm

PEP wrote:it is not you getting the PM to complain about this person or that person from members of this board ...it is I.....so please keep that in mind.

But surely you can distinguish between legitimate complaints and whining.

Sat May 12, 2007 12:38 pm

Rob wrote:
PEP wrote:it is not you getting the PM to complain about this person or that person from members of this board ...it is I.....so please keep that in mind.

But surely you can distinguish between legitimate complaints and whining.

No Rob sometimes I can't....personally there are something's I would rather just let go....I see something's being said and I think to myself its not a big deal...get over it..... is what I'm thinking to myself...but what happens I get an PM to suggest I should do something right away.....

Listen I'm not here to really hold anybodies hand, you guys are all adults...

At some point my friends you may find you expect too much from anyone.......AEK once again is the perfect board for No edits of any kind....yet most of you are still here.....I would like to believe for good reason.....

Anyway bottom line here, I'm trying not to add flame to any fire and I do try to satisfy each and everyone of you if I can without bias.....like Ernst in this case....it seems not everyone is going to be happy with the decisions I try to make.....for all concern...

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Sun May 13, 2007 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 12, 2007 2:44 pm

Both these individuals are on a virtually constant mission to fire up other board members for no other reason than their obvious amusement. What a sad existence. I'm sure if this was a face to face group meet these people would have been duly ejected or probably would have lacked the balls to even voice their irksome and rude comments in the first place.

Daryl, GERRY, if indeed you are different people, kindly close the door behind you on your way out. You are not Elvis fans and have no place here.

Sat May 12, 2007 9:23 pm

Hello,

Matthew, how dare you say that I'm not an Elvis fan. Ernst Jorgensen is not Elvis Presley. So stop treating him as if he were. Take the advice. I repeat,

ERNST JORGENSEN IS NOT ELVIS PRESLEY

You can be an Elvis Presley fan without being a fan of Ernst Jorgensen's body of work. You really need to separate the two.

Daryl