All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

FTD team please read: It is a problem that FTD don't talk!

Wed May 09, 2007 8:04 pm

It has been some time now since Ernst Jorgenson gave his last official interview to a fan, because he was too tired of all the negative criticism coming against him.

I can understand Ernsts decision very well, but I think it's a real problem that there is no communication at all between FTD and the fans.

There are just new CD's appearing and fanpages writing reviews, but you can never see or hear something of the team that was responsible for the CD, and maybe things that are special about such a release get lost and this information doesn't get to the fans.

Dear FTD team, it would be very interesting to get more information from the source about each of your cool CD's. I think there should be a homepage with interesting facts and figures, maintained by you. Or you should attach an interview with Ernst or a few facts to each CD. I think it is a shame that all I hear about FTD are rumours and intepretations.

Wed May 09, 2007 8:14 pm

I agree!

Wed May 09, 2007 8:15 pm

The 'Ask Ernst' section was great,i don't know why he stopped to answer our questions. It wouldn't be so time-consuming to answer a few questions let's say,twice in a year.

Wed May 09, 2007 8:18 pm

I couldn't agree more, Thomas. I don't think we'll ever see an FTD homepage. I don't think they have enough time for that. But it would be nice to see some kind of press release for each new release, where the FTD team give us some "behind the scenes" information. They could tell us why this or that particular show was chosen, if there was any problems with the tapes, if they have found new tapes for a certain studio sessions, what they think of the CD themselves, how it came about, etc. You know, the kind of information Ernst shares when he gives interviews. This would a) be very interesting, and fun too, and b) kill all these silly rumours that surround some FTD releases.

(By the way, Thomas, Ernst did an interview with elvisinfonet.com fairly recently.)

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed May 09, 2007 8:21 pm

I few years ago Ernst did talk about released cd's and future plans in Elvis The Man And His Music. BUT, a lotta fans screwed it up. The mean reason for Ernst was all the bad comments he received for his work. Even cd's with complete "new" stuff somebody always had a reason to dislike it. So the more bad comments and worse respons he got he decided to stop talking in pulbic on release BMG and FTD. Another thing why he doesn't speak much about future plans or what stuff they have in the vaults is that BMG won't let him to. And even if he could talk about it there probably is some wiseass fan who has his opinion on any plans. So it's better for all he doesn't give any respons at all. But don't forget in one way or the other he will find out about whises from us. I think that by time to time he visites this message board and look at some of the posts.

Wed May 09, 2007 9:00 pm

One problem could be that anything Ernst says will cause lots of expectations. For instance, if he announces a soundboard of a concert of, say, May 5th 75, and then later changes his mind and publishes a soundboard of May 5th 76, he will get quite a heavy reaction. So the more he talks in advance, the less flexible he will be in his decisions. If you are Mr Decision Maker in a certain field, you can not chat as freely over that subject as anybody else.

But apart from that, EIN and The Man and His Music are excellent sources for information right from the FTD crew, interviews with EJ, Kevan Budd, Roger Semon, articles by EJ.

Wed May 09, 2007 9:10 pm

There does need to be more communication, its just a matter of how to implement it.
Any talk is better than none. 8)

Wed May 09, 2007 9:25 pm

why does rca not let anyone know what's in the vaults? they used to. :roll:

Wed May 09, 2007 9:30 pm

ritchie valens wrote:why does rca not let anyone know what's in the vaults? they used to. :roll:

Because people came forward claiming they had certain tapes in their possession when indeed they were just bluffing. This made it a lot harder for Ernst to track down rare material, therefore they decided to not fully disclose what they had and what not. Totally understandable.

Thu May 10, 2007 12:02 am

:lol: huh a soundboard from either May 5th 1975 OR 1976 would please me immensely :lol:

Thu May 10, 2007 12:17 am

FTD would dampen some of barbs directed at them if they were a little more forthcoming on the technical details of the releases.

Rather like Jazz and cCassical releases.

For example if we knew just exacly where and what generation a soundboard tape was sourced, we would then know whether the boot should be put into Lene or not.

The type of machines used and sortware would be of great interest to me.

Thu May 10, 2007 12:59 am

Artwork is always subjective. The main comments I read regarding FTD releases is aimed at the sound quality and I think it's fair to say that releases that sound great get praised as such and releases with technical errors get complained about.

We have audio experts amongst the ranks so to speak who have the technology to decipher a mastering glitch vs. a source tape problem so FTD cannot really get away from this. Certainly there are budgets to work with but this doesn’t mean blindly accepting a flawed release because of this reasoning. Digital noise can easily be avoided.

No one is infallible but certainly communication is the key. Just as much as I'd like problems corrected or commented on (rather than simply brushed over with: "it's recorded badly" for example) I'd also love to read about the restoration work done on albums such as Elvis Presley, His Hand In Mine etc.

It is certainly true there are fans out there that display little tact with what they write and would indeed chastise FTD for releasing an average performance concert where actually these comments would be better used reviewing the performance itself. They forget that the FTD label is the medium for releasing this sort of material.

One thing I would like to comment on is the "no one is forced to buy it", "you have a choice, buy it or don't buy it" position made from time to time when defending a release garnering negative criticism. I would interject and say this stance is only relevant when the material is being debated. However, when a release has a flaw then this reasoning becomes null and void. Why should I choose not to own Unchained Melody because of a mastering error? No. The choice should be based on the material. If I choose not to buy the release it should be because I don’t wish to own that particular performance. There is nothing wrong with expecting a little quality control and frankly if these faults were never picked up on then we could never expect any improvements in the future.

Re: FTD team please read: It is a problem that FTD don't tal

Thu May 10, 2007 1:16 am

Thomas wrote:It has been some time now since Ernst Jorgenson gave his last official interview to a fan ...

Not really. Ernst gave an interview to EIN in February and he has a recurring feature in the quarterly "Elvis - The Man and His Music."

Thomas wrote:... because he was too tired of all the negative criticism coming against him.

The reasons for a media pullback went well beyond this, and in some respects was out of his control.

The FTD label is not a right, but a luxury. So enjoy it, while you can.

Thu May 10, 2007 2:21 am

I was told (pm'ed) by a very well respected former member of this mb that the only thing that Ernst has any interest in, is his Sun project. This person said that neither Ernst or Roger listen to any regular FTD releases before they are released to the public, which is the reason why we get so many errors on the regular cd's.

This person also said that they have known Ernst for years and because of who this person is i do believe them. I was asked not to name names in the pm because of this persons relationship to Ernst.

Thu May 10, 2007 2:26 am

Promocollector wrote:I was told (pm'ed) by a very well respected former member of this mb that the only thing that Ernst has any interest in, is his Sun project. This person said that neither Ernst or Roger listen to any regular FTD releases before they are released to the public, which is the reason why we get so many errors on the regular cd's.

Please.

Maybe the reason this "well-respected" person is a "former" member of this MB is because of completely fallacious comments like the above.

You need to expand your base of "PM" buddies.

Thu May 10, 2007 2:28 am

Doc

Let's just say that you talk the talk in the Elvis world, whereas this person has Walked the Walk.

Thu May 10, 2007 2:31 am

Promocollector wrote: This person said that neither Ernst or Roger listen to any regular FTD releases before they are released to the public, which is the reason why we get so many errors on the regular cd's.

This makes some sense, but then who is responsible for the content then?

One would think that if mistakes are corrected before release, then in the long run, it would make it easier on the label.
Are they hoping we won't notice?

The FTD label changed its initial focus within a year after it started.

This created some confusion and expectations were then altered.

I would have thought that any criticism would have inspired who ever was in charge to improve the product. Don't get me wrong, most of the product is very good, but sometimes glaring mistakes happen which baffles.

Thu May 10, 2007 2:35 am

ekenee wrote:This makes some sense, but then who is responsible for the content then?

Ernst does pick the content but after it leaves his hands, that all he hears of it until it is released, which is too late.

Thu May 10, 2007 2:45 am

Promocollector wrote:Let's just say that you talk the talk in the Elvis world, whereas this person has Walked the Walk.

With respect Promocollector, these sorts of statements are baseless without listing a source and probably best left unwritten otherwise the "information" is very much open to be debunked.

"I know someone", "someone in the know told me but I can't say who", "Let's just say.." etc etc really don't add anything to a discussion.

Thu May 10, 2007 2:59 am

I think if Ernst has one great flaw in his handling of the Elvis catalogue it's an inability to deal with criticism. This has been the case with both FTD and the main catalogue. A good example was the wrong take of "A Big Hunk O' Love" on the '50s boxed set. Ernst brushed it off it as insignificant because the take used was "better." It was, in fact, at that time very significant (it's become less significant over time with numerous releases containing the right take). For someone to buy that set to basically cover Elvis' 50s stuff and finding a different take than the one he/she grew up with is kind of disconcerting. I'm not condemning the mistake because they happen but to brush it off as so much fan whining is wrong.

It's also wrong to expect no criticism of the FTD label. If they want your money, you have a right to criticize.

A website which could cover definite upcoming releases (say available in a week or two or already out) that gives the insight dope on why such and such was chosen, what's new etc. would be a definite benefit to fans. The label doesn't have to give away the keys to the corporate kingdom just give potential customers some insight into what they're buying. Quite frankly, it would also be a great benefit for fans who want to purchase the CDs. We're always being told that FTDs wholesale for about the price of a regular CD. If that's the case, how about a direct order site that doesn't rook the fans?

Thu May 10, 2007 3:05 am

It is not a secret EJ is not a 70s fan...I for example am though not a (have all shows ) type fan and really..I cannot remember last time I sat through a complete soundboard show. So thats me..can you imagine someone that does not like it at all? Etc.. mistakes will come and would be nice if EJ depended on dependable people to watch out for stuff like mastering errors and even otherwise good artwork like Elvis Today but NOT have a sticker as part of the artwork to look like a scan! :)

Thu May 10, 2007 3:46 am

likethebike wrote:I think if Ernst has one great flaw in his handling of the Elvis catalogue it's an inability to deal with criticism. This has been the case with both FTD and the main catalogue. A good example was the wrong take of "A Big Hunk O' Love" on the '50s boxed set. Ernst brushed it off it as insignificant because the take used was "better." It was, in fact, at that time very significant (it's become less significant over time with numerous releases containing the right take). For someone to buy that set to basically cover Elvis' 50s stuff and finding a different take than the one he/she grew up with is kind of disconcerting. I'm not condemning the mistake because they happen but to brush it off as so much fan whining is wrong.

It's also wrong to expect no criticism of the FTD label. If they want your money, you have a right to criticize.

A website which could cover definite upcoming releases (say available in a week or two or already out) that gives the insight dope on why such and such was chosen, what's new etc. would be a definite benefit to fans. The label doesn't have to give away the keys to the corporate kingdom just give potential customers some insight into what they're buying. Quite frankly, it would also be a great benefit for fans who want to purchase the CDs. We're always being told that FTDs wholesale for about the price of a regular CD. If that's the case, how about a direct order site that doesn't rook the fans?

Well said LTB, in particular the pricing issue and the fact that some fans believe that FTD/Ernst should be beyond criticism.

Thu May 10, 2007 5:02 am

:lol: Their seems to be many constructive points being mentioned here! :lol:

Thu May 10, 2007 5:08 am

likethebike wrote:........We're always being told that FTDs wholesale for about the price of a regular CD. If that's the case, how about a direct order site that doesn't rook the fans?

YOU SAID IT! And a place that does not charge a fortune for Shipping and Handling!

These discs are priced much more than regular cd's.

Thu May 10, 2007 5:12 am

likethebike wrote:I think if Ernst has one great flaw in his handling of the Elvis catalogue it's an inability to deal with criticism. This has been the case with both FTD and the main catalogue. A good example was the wrong take of "A Big Hunk O' Love" on the '50s boxed set. Ernst brushed it off it as insignificant because the take used was "better." It was, in fact, at that time very significant (it's become less significant over time with numerous releases containing the right take). For someone to buy that set to basically cover Elvis' 50s stuff and finding a different take than the one he/she grew up with is kind of disconcerting. I'm not condemning the mistake because they happen but to brush it off as so much fan whining is wrong.

Well said LTB. Your first sentence is right on the money.