All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

best cd

Wed May 09, 2007 2:33 am

whats the best cd for the orignal hit mixes not the remixed ones like on elvis 1's?

Wed May 09, 2007 2:54 am

I would say that would be "All Time Greatest Hits" 2-CD set - 1987 (PD90100-2)

Wed May 09, 2007 3:56 am

Keith F or anyone on this MB has nothing to do with my views-they are my views and the majority of the record buying publics views.

Exactly i have been saying this for years-PRESLEY THE ALL TIME GREATEST HITS-Worldwide hit album-re-released after re-release=hit=again

mixed/mastered in London Uk by SKILLED Professionals sound engineers.

sounds great powerfull ,punchy , open mixes true to the original

most importantly of all though-untouched by Ernst and his crew of cowboys- no co-incidence then that the public took to this release in a big way.

If you want good punchy vibrant and open sound that has good separation and is similer to the mastertape then avoid anything that bears the name of Ernst Jorgensen on the back of the cd case.

Ah feels good to tell the truth-the truth being that Ernst has turned a whole generation off the Presley catalogue.. :P

Wed May 09, 2007 4:13 am

I have the proof waiting baby-whatsmore i have actually filmed over 300 would be record buyers views on these flat abysmal sounding releases to show baby-bring it on-let's get the info made public once and for all.

I can prove that the sound picture has been narrowed,the dynamics have been quashed,in quite a few instances the band have been reveresed in the sound picture-stereo soundboards with good separation have been left sounding like mono-multitrack recordings have been thoroughly messed with-i have before and after baby. :P :P

I can prove these facts to anybody apart from the 3000 or so Presley fans who wouldnt dare speak out encase they lost their beloved FTD -doesnt matter if they take the freakin legacy down with them as long as they get their unreleased soundboards in less than acceptable sound.

Wed May 09, 2007 11:58 pm

what about the 1983 release the legend hound dog sounds great on that one. question is hound dog pitched a little fast since the 56 release?

Re: best cd

Thu May 10, 2007 12:28 am

ritchie valens wrote:whats the best cd for the orignal hit mixes not the remixed ones like on elvis 1's?


The U.S. #1 Singles box set.

Thu May 10, 2007 1:08 am

GERRY wrote:Keith F or anyone on this MB has nothing to do with my views-they are my views and the majority of the record buying publics views.

Ah feels good to tell the truth-the truth being that Ernst has turned a whole generation off the Presley catalogue.. :P


Refrain from talking out your ass and refrain from trying to cause flame wars on this messageboard. Enough is enough with these sorts of posts, I and I'm sure many others are sick to death of reading them.

GERRY wrote:I have the proof waiting baby-whatsmore i have actually filmed over 300 would be record buyers views on these flat abysmal sounding releases to show baby-bring it on-let's get the info made public once and for all.


If you have actually done this then I await with bated breath for you to put your money where your mouth is and display this research. There is a handy medium for you to use: youtube. When can we expect to see your link?

Thu May 10, 2007 2:22 am

GERRY wrote:most importantly of all though-untouched by Ernst and his crew of cowboys- no co-incidence then that the public took to this release in a big way.


30#1 Hits bears Ernst's name and is one of the best selling Elvis albums of all time, so what's your point?

Do you honestly think that the public isn't buying an album like Elvis is Back because of objections about sound? Do you think the average listener would even notice the difference? The reason Elvis is Back and other classic Elvis albums don't sell in large numbers is because almost everyone who's aware of those albums already has them. Compilations continue to sell better because they tend to be better advertised, feature more tracks and include titles that are familiar to casual buyers. Sound doesn't come into it. Do you actually remember the appalling situation with Elvis releases in the early and mid 80s? If so, I'm amazed you seem reluctant to give Ernst even the slightest credit.

Thu May 10, 2007 3:11 am

TJ wrote:
GERRY wrote:most importantly of all though-untouched by Ernst and his crew of cowboys- no co-incidence then that the public took to this release in a big way.


30#1 Hits bears Ernst's name and is one of the best selling Elvis albums of all time, so what's your point?

Do you honestly think that the public isn't buying an album like Elvis is Back because of objections about sound? Do you think the average listener would even notice the difference? The reason Elvis is Back and other classic Elvis albums don't sell in large numbers is because almost everyone who's aware of those albums already has them. Compilations continue to sell better because they tend to be better advertised, feature more tracks and include titles that are familiar to casual buyers. Sound doesn't come into it. Do you actually remember the appalling situation with Elvis releases in the early and mid 80s? If so, I'm amazed you seem reluctant to give Ernst even the slightest credit.
To be fair... E1 is DAVID BENDETH'S baby and EJ's name was just a formality or close to something like that.

Thu May 10, 2007 3:23 am

I enjoy my first Elvis CD I ever bought. 2 Cd's Elvis Worldwide Hits (or Gold or something like that).
Disc 1 is mono.

Thu May 10, 2007 3:27 am

Juan Luis wrote:
TJ wrote:
GERRY wrote:most importantly of all though-untouched by Ernst and his crew of cowboys- no co-incidence then that the public took to this release in a big way.


30#1 Hits bears Ernst's name and is one of the best selling Elvis albums of all time, so what's your point?

Do you honestly think that the public isn't buying an album like Elvis is Back because of objections about sound? Do you think the average listener would even notice the difference? The reason Elvis is Back and other classic Elvis albums don't sell in large numbers is because almost everyone who's aware of those albums already has them. Compilations continue to sell better because they tend to be better advertised, feature more tracks and include titles that are familiar to casual buyers. Sound doesn't come into it. Do you actually remember the appalling situation with Elvis releases in the early and mid 80s? If so, I'm amazed you seem reluctant to give Ernst even the slightest credit.
To be fair... E1 is DAVID BENDETH'S baby and EJ's name was just a formality or close to something like that.


Ernst had no role in the idea or the track selection? I think he did.

Thu May 10, 2007 6:16 pm

whats the best cd for the orignal hit mixes not the remixed ones like on
elvis 1's
?


1.ritchie said NO E1 can you not read?-do you have poor eyesight as well as lousy poor hearing?

2.Do not credit Ernst & his cowboy mastermixers for the sound on E1 they had nothing to do with this side of this release.

3.I was not pinpointing albums like Elvis is Back-i was refering to the stream of Mainstream Targeted albums during the 1990's that set an incredibly new low for EP like never before, failure after failure to enter even the top 50 uk album charts-no doubt you will say who cares about chart success-just like you say who cares about sound quality.

4.let me turn this back on you-why do you think the public liked ALLC?Why do you think they bought into E1? What was it's main selling points?

5.Why do you think the public bought into PRESLEY THE ALL TIME GREATEST HITS?

6.Has Ernst has been relegated to a crummy little collectors label?

7.You think no-one else could do Ernst job?

8.You write the public off-think that they do not want Presley material period.

I put it to you that they do want it-but they do not want flat sounding mix with lousy dynamics-poor separation-reversed sound image-wall of sound-narrowed sound image with everything overlapping-thinned out quashed rythm-every molecule of hiss removed at the expense of the dynamic range etc etc,...I dont want this-i am sick of this-i cannot listen to this cr@p and i am an Elvis fan--- so how do you expect to sell this to the Public?????

You dont care-all you care about is that you get your unreleased soundboards.

Thu May 10, 2007 6:40 pm

TJ wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
TJ wrote:
GERRY wrote:most importantly of all though-untouched by Ernst and his crew of cowboys- no co-incidence then that the public took to this release in a big way.


30#1 Hits bears Ernst's name and is one of the best selling Elvis albums of all time, so what's your point?

Do you honestly think that the public isn't buying an album like Elvis is Back because of objections about sound? Do you think the average listener would even notice the difference? The reason Elvis is Back and other classic Elvis albums don't sell in large numbers is because almost everyone who's aware of those albums already has them. Compilations continue to sell better because they tend to be better advertised, feature more tracks and include titles that are familiar to casual buyers. Sound doesn't come into it. Do you actually remember the appalling situation with Elvis releases in the early and mid 80s? If so, I'm amazed you seem reluctant to give Ernst even the slightest credit.
To be fair... E1 is DAVID BENDETH'S baby and EJ's name was just a formality or close to something like that.


Ernst had no role in the idea or the track selection? I think he did.
It was actually EP himself by getting all them #1's!!!

Thu May 10, 2007 6:45 pm

Juan,

Lets elaborate on your point -after all the devil is in the detail isnt it.

The public are rather selective then on which EP releases that they buy into-

why is this?

Again i ask What was E1's main selling point?

Thu May 10, 2007 8:02 pm

AWARD=Most Absurd comment:-

Sound doesn't come into it



This is 2007-the public have the latest technology in their homes-a good true audiophile system can make Elvis sound so much more lifelike,his vocals are appreciated so much more with every last bit of detail extracted from these recordings ,the top musicians that Elvis worked with can sound so much better too when played on a damn fine system.

Only problem is these systems cannot work miracles they need a good quality mixed/mastered release-over and over again i have tested Elvis releases on top hi-fi systems to find out the truth.




[/quote]

Thu May 10, 2007 8:15 pm

Everything suggests that Sound Quality does matter.

Beatles Love,

Why do you think George Martin whent to such great Le

Beatles Love is an indication of what the old Beatles tapes can sound like after much tender restoration, and remastering

The producer was able to remix the songs so as to add zip without undermining the originals(Ernst and his cowboys take note)

Whilst i mention this Beatles Love Project:-

IMO this is one of those FIRSTS that Elvis has missed out on------BMG SONY LISTEN UP....

This would have been great -can you imagine drum riff starts Change Of Habit starts then we get Mixed into some outtake of Edge Of Reality with all unheard of outtake riffs,next American sound or Nashville bits then we go into some other gem we can appreciate Elvis musicians his vocals and such an album would have suited the Kings work,you could go back to the original tapes and include all manner of snippets that Elvis musicians did-utilising amazing parts of outtakes performances that are better than the released versions to create a concept album that reveals Elvis genius.

Thu May 10, 2007 8:19 pm

Gerry, just out of curiosity, what do you think of the mainstream CDs Kevan Budd worked on? I’m thinking about:

Elvis at Sun
Elvis Presley
Elvis
Loving You

And what did you think about the FTD CDs Sebastian worked on?

Elvis Is Back!
His Hand in Mine
Something for Everybody

I’m talking about the sound here.

Per

Thu May 10, 2007 8:40 pm

Hi Per,thanks for your reply,

If someone suggests to me that Elvis Is Back wouldnt sell mainstream then i simply point them to the Biggest Album artists of all time the Beatles and the fact that George Martin (who resides over their catalogue)isnt trying to re-release Beatles For Sale or something.

Yet they bring Elvis is Back up as an indication that Elvis wouldnt sell mainstream? then try to use this fact that sound doesnt come into it?

We all know that Elvis doesnt sell himself like he was said to do around 1956 to 1970- i put it to you that if for example back in 1972 Elvis American Trilogy had enjoyed the promotion of a great video then Elvis would have had a top 5 hit at the very least.....

The Beatles allways made promotional video's they sent the Video's to Ed Sullivan for him to promote them----

I put it to you that even the greatest band ever to walk this planet The Beatles not only needed Good Promotional video's but now as allways they needed good sound on their releases.

Thu May 10, 2007 11:24 pm

The reason The All Time Greatest Hits was a success
was probably because of the timing rather than the sound
ie 1987-10yrs after his death and with a bit of publicity
behind it and collecting all the big hits it was bound to
do well.

norrie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:05 am

I tend to think that the public are very smart

Sure the timing helped but the worldwide public whent for this release in a big way and it was re-released after re-release it did well again.They knew something about it- it did actually sound great :wink:

Fri May 11, 2007 12:24 am

GERRY wrote:Hi Per,thanks for your reply


Per asked just two questions, Gerry, and you haven't answered either of them.......

Fri May 11, 2007 12:31 am

no one answerd this is hound dog,at the wrong speed on most cds?

Fri May 11, 2007 12:33 am

Hi Colin,

I am listening to all my 1954/55 takes to compare including Elvis at Sun that Kevan Budd worked on,im trying to find another mixed in 5.1 or something-looking through my garage to try and find it.

Fri May 11, 2007 12:50 am

GERRY wrote:Hi Colin,

I am listening to all my 1954/55 takes to compare including Elvis at Sun that Kevan Budd worked on,im trying to find another mixed in 5.1 or something-looking through my garage to try and find it.


???

Fri May 11, 2007 12:52 am

Matthew wrote:
GERRY wrote:Hi Colin,

I am listening to all my 1954/55 takes to compare including Elvis at Sun that Kevan Budd worked on,im trying to find another mixed in 5.1 or something-looking through my garage to try and find it.


???


Yeah, I don't think Sam Phillips dabbled much in surround channels !

But what we want to know, Gerry, is this:

Does your total disdain for Ernt's releases include the stuff done by Kevan & Sebastian ?

Or haven't you listened to any of those yet ?
Last edited by ColinB on Fri May 11, 2007 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.