Give me some facts about "Aloha From Hawaii"

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 13, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Does not matter the numbers..a lot! Huge event that cannot be repeated again. Unless all satellites are knocked out of the sky except 1 or two! And then get someone to fill 12-13 size shoes! Those shoes!!! YEP!

Mike S
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Liverbobs »

[quote="Delboy"]Contrary to popular myth.....'Aloha From Hawaii' was not actually taped in Hawaii........but at the 'Wheeltappers & Shunters Social Club 'in Barnsley, England! Further......Jack Lord won a joint of beef in that night's raffle!

Also, another lesser known fact is that elvis appeared in disguise as his own support act, dressed in a flat cap and overcoat he played the spoons, doing several George formby numbers, this only stopped when Elvis dislocated his knee when he hit himself too hard on his left knee with one of the spoons, this was the real reason why Elvis didn't move as much later when the actual concert was recorded.

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Elvis looks HOT in this Photo and that's a Fact...

Source.... Little Darlin :wink:

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 13, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Liverbobs wrote:Also, another lesser known fact is that elvis appeared in disguise as his own support act, dressed in a flat cap and overcoat he played the spoons, doing several George formby numbers, this only stopped when Elvis dislocated his knee when he hit himself too hard on his left knee with one of the spoons, this was the real reason why Elvis didn't move as much later when the actual concert was recorded.
Liverbobs,

Great story! I contacted EPE and they confirmed the spoon routine. Apparently Elvis introduced it in Vegas in August 1972. Being Elvis, he didn't use ordinary dessert spoons, he had a pair commissioned out of platinum with an intricate design from Bill Belew. Unbelievably the routine was not filmed! :shock: They recently turned up on ebay and were donated to EPE where they are now on display in the trophy room. Here they are. Unfortunately the flat cap has not turned up.

Topic author
Justin
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Justin »

Little Darlin wrote:
IMETJB wrote:
carolynlm wrote:The concept is a great one and it would work if done correctly.
To make this happen, we should appoint a kind of committee.....everyone could contribute their ideas to the 'committee' who would in turn review all material and put forward a 'chapter' so to speak every so often... That way there can be some discussion on each 'chapter' and not the whole thing all at once.
Lets see how far into the alphabet we can get to without any problems.
You would probably need a few legitimate books of reference to use.....for instance, I think goldmans piece of trash could be omitted.
Yes, you are right Carolyn. I think taking it "chapter by chapter" might work better than taking it on in its entirety. Which would then lead to a possible burn out and the idea completely falling apart with little and dissapointing results.

The only way to ensure that it doesn't fail is to install a new thinking at this messageboard in the most grand of senses: Everyone has to be on board and be constantly aware of the Library. It has to go completely hand-in-hand with the messageboard. It's a perfect example of before and after. Conversations and discussions start in the messageboard and documented facts end in the Library.

FECC has replied with great interest, they need to discuss if it is technically possible for them to do it. We'll see where this goes...if it indeed ends in "tears."
My Tears comment was said in jest. We can't have a decent topic of Conversation at the Minute without Someone putting the Boot in either by saying my fact is better than your fact or I am right and you are wrong........then the Name calling starts........then much worse than that Personal details dished out. Your idea was a Brilliant one which I said at the beginning but tried to sugar coat the downside of it by saying the Art of Conversation would be killed off.........

Go for it I wish You all the Best of Luck!!
Thanks for the well wishes!

No, I wasn't taking your "tears" comment seriously but I referred to it because I was hinting at the reality that it might actually really end in tears! Although the library is a very bold idea, a lot needs to fall into place for it to succeed. Number one, being the cooperation and confidence of the entire board. Considering anyone here is free to add to the library...everyone should believe in it.

Interesting because even with something as simple as "Aloha", there is a lot of discussion about who's right and who's wrong. I've always noticed the cue cards during Burning Love. Always. Some people hear did not...if anything believed they saw it during another song or claim that there were no cards at all. These are all tricks of the mind. Eventually those tricks of the mind re-write the facts in our mind.

I started thinking about what actually should go into this library. It's obvious that only the most concrete and reliable facts should go in, leaving out ridiculous and incredible guesses, rumors and speculations. Take for example the number of people who watched Aloha. 1 billion? 1.5 billion? 2 billion? What's the number? No one here can agree on a figure. Which figure would go in the Library? I think this library has to be Extensive and complete...and all figures should be included because that it's the truth of the matter---these are the figures being bounced around.

All the facts in the Library, must be cited in some way. But I believe that we shouldn't be afraid to put things in the "???" section about certain topics. Those facts would be clearly marked as "speculation" or "debatable."
Last edited by Justin on Tue May 08, 2007 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 13, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spanish_Eyes
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

I have checked the population figures from 1973, and it's 3.937 million people. It's very hard to believe that more than a quarter of the world's people watched it, regarding the fact that most of humans lived in 3 world countries, where hardly any TV's were available, yet a channel that bought the Special to broadcast it!

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Liverbobs »

Delboy wrote:
Liverbobs wrote:Also, another lesser known fact is that elvis appeared in disguise as his own support act, dressed in a flat cap and overcoat he played the spoons, doing several George formby numbers, this only stopped when Elvis dislocated his knee when he hit himself too hard on his left knee with one of the spoons, this was the real reason why Elvis didn't move as much later when the actual concert was recorded.
Liverbobs,

Great story! I contacted EPE and they confirmed the spoon routine. Apparently Elvis introduced it in Vegas in August 1972. Being Elvis, he didn't use ordinary dessert spoons, he had a pair commissioned out of platinum with an intricate design from Bill Belew. Unbelievably the routine was not filmed! :shock: They recently turned up on ebay and were donated to EPE where they are now on display in the trophy room. Here they are. Unfortunately the flat cap has not turned up.

Del,
I think I may have located the flat cap, unfortunately I don't know how to post pictures here!

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Elvis_Priestly

Post by Elvis_Priestly »

Liverbobs wrote:Del,
I think I may have located the flat cap, unfortunately I don't know how to post pictures here!
Oh yeah! Next you'll be telling us you have the rumoured footage of Elvis delivering the ham on his butcher's bike to Mrs. Ramsbottom during the break in filming Harum Scarum, but don't know how to rip it!

( :wink: )

Topic author
Justin

Post by Justin »

Steve_M wrote:
IMETJB wrote:Those facts would be clearly marked as "speculation" or "debatable."
Then how on earth are they facts ?

If all figures being banded around for viewing are "the truth" then can we add more ?

Lets put in 5 billion just to cover our ass.

Either you've gone wandering off into la-la land or I've completely misunderstood what you've said. I'm sure it must be me but i can't for the life of me fathom out where i went wrong.
Replace the word "facts" with the word "statements" in my sentence and maybe you'll see it better. "Those statements would clearly be marked as "speculative" or "debatable"---purely to show that these selected statements are arguable and yet to be proven.

These could be highlighted in red text to show that these are unproven statements. Then why include them? Well, if there are enough people who believe statement X to be true....we can't hide it. If 40% of people believe 1 billion people viewed Aloha...and 60% of people believe 1.5 billion people watched Aloha...which do we pick? I'm just saying that we'd include both figures because it's apparent that there are groups of people who feel strongly for each. I presume, there will be MANY moments where facts will clash.

A visual:

Elvis Presley's last TV special was "Elvis in Concert" which was filmed for CBS. The concert includes footage from Rapid City and Omaha taped in June of 1977. The claim that Elvis did an interview at pool side at Graceland has bee proven, false.

See what I did there? The last part about Elvis in the pool...it's clearly marked in a way where it's "debatable." Do we know 100% that this interview never happened? Probably. What about those people that claim they heard someone who knows someone who knows someone who has seen the tape? Much like Wikipedia, a huge percentage of their facts are cited. Others are waiting for approval. That's much like what I'm trying to get across here: It's fair to mention it in the library so then it can be proven or disproven.

No word on FECC on any further steps to pursue the idea, but this idea is more and more feeling like me trying to persuade everyone to move and live on the moon. Perhaps, I should've presented this idea to the board in a more mature state, as right now it seems the idea is trying to stay alive in an incubator! No biggie...the "library" wasn't for me but for everyone here.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 13, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lew Nyack

Post by Lew Nyack »

So has anyone noticed the aforementioned cue cards during Burning Love.....Steve, Cryo......Doc :smt018 :lol: ?

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Justin

Post by Justin »

Steve_M wrote:I think I have to remove myself from considering participating in it as I'm just not qualified enough on more than one level.
big whoop.

And to whoever is left who cares:

The initial goals were 1) to provide a database purely based on Elvis Presley and 2) provide final resting place for many of the informative, useful and rare information that transpires on this messagebaord. Its special feature was that it was created and home-cooked by the members of FECC. The two entities are in complete correlation, this isn't some off-to-the-side project. Because of that, it would mirror a lot of the characteristics of FECC's messageboard.

For example, when a claim is made which I have labeled "debatable", a link would follow which would lead you to the discussion to proving/disproving it. The link would lead you to..where else? The FECC messageboard where it is being discussed. And as best the board can decide, the final "verdict" and "decision" on the claim is made and then made clear in the Library. That is the exclusive mark of this "Library."
The EIC/CBS poolside interview, I gave as a simple yet argued example would have a link that would lead to this discussion: http://elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28627&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=film+exist&start=25

That thread alone has a lot of information that would be great to have to prove and disprove rumors of what footage is out there. But I had, to look through the search engine just to find the thread, and then rummage through several pages of it just to find what I was looking for...The library was supposed to make this process easier: eliminating comments, complaints and irrelevant remarks in threads only leaving what matters: what has been agreed on by the majority.

Geez, who would be in charge of all this? The messageboard, and an organized "committee" of groups who will judge the facts before submission in the library. I will not be "in charge" of this library. It was supposed to be all of us.

But as I have internally suspected as I began to type the first post regarding this, this turned out exactly as I pictured. If the Library actually succeeded in getting created, it would be used by a handful of people and snubbed by the hierarchy of the board--leaving a huge separation. This virus has plagued the messagboard forever and it would plague the library. It's bound to happen considering our form of communication is typing on a messageboard. Ideas are misinterpreted, statements are put out of context, personalities are exaggerated, attitudes are tweaked all in a way where it is misunderstood in print.

That is my diagnosis as the cause of death for this Library.

Why do I always feel like a freshman walking into a cafeteria of seniors whenever I post on this board?
Last edited by Justin on Tue May 08, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 13, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Delboy wrote:FACT: The special DID NOT raise $75,000 for the Kui Lee Cancer Fund! Elvis announced this at the rehearsal show when he had no way of knowing how much would be raised over the two shows – besides; Hawaiians are notoriously tight-fisted so the actual amount raised would have been nearer the $8,000 mark.
I was in the middle of writing a serious reply to this when I read the other DelBoy 'facts' & realised what was going on !

D'Oh !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
Justin

Post by Justin »

Just so I can have a chance of maybe having the last word, because I wouldn't want you to have it, let me respond to your post also.

Steve, you can put me on any list you wish, as you have always been and continue to be on my own list of people whom I prefer to naturally stay away from.

I most definitely care about feedback and responses but not in the delivery and style you're so unfortunately, great at which is rude, graceless and charmless. There is an attractive way to transfer thoughts and advice and you have failed. Your initial recommendations which you offered in another thread about this idea were extremely helpful and they invited me to listen. But, your reply two posts ago on this thread with a language and tone that was used to mock and parody my posts is strike three in my book.
You "state" (is that the right word, or do I need to replace it)
I think you need to provide me with which word(s) need replacing again in order that I "get it".
in it as I'm just not qualified enough on more than one level. The more I've asked the more I've become confused.
These are all cute and clever little zingers to remind me that my proposal still needs clarification, explanation and planning...but really all unncessary.

You're a wealth of information on this board no ****' doubt about it, but there is no way I'm going to apologize to my reacting to you being an ass. I was looking for people who are able to converse and talk--- not judges, like you, who hear opening statements and then just thrown down the gavel in impatience. I didn't need people like that. Losing the support of people who can listen and support---that's a problem. Losing you? You'd be a huge asset to the Library and a great tool and leader, most definitely. But when you remind me of why I need to stay away from you..."Big whoop", indeed.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 13, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 13, 2007 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.