Give me some facts about "Aloha From Hawaii"

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Mike S
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarrylMac
Registered for: 21 years

Post by DarrylMac »

Which song had the lyric, "I Love You Elvis" in it ?
I can't stop loving you, when he bent down and wiped his forehead with a tissue handed to him - you can hear the girl say "oh Elvis, I love you".

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

#1 album for Elvis in 1973.Gold in 1972 in pre orders! Top selling 100 albums of 1973. Long 4 years downhill with slopes here and there for Elvis Presley's record sales. A new beginning 8-17-77 in record sales unprecedented in the history of the worlwide record business.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Spanish_Eyes wrote:
Daryl wrote:Fact: It was Jerry Schilling who handed Elvis the crown at the end of "Aloha From Hawaii." And yet he inexplicably forgets to mention it in his book "Me And A Guy Named Elvis."
Daryl
I always thought it was a woman from the audience :shock:
So did I, either way the crown was well-deserved, especially given what he had accomplished from this show.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Robert »

Here's a nice one:

US Navy handled part of the power supply for this event.
Stage set up required more power than available at the venue..

Cheers, RJ

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

The special was not shown in the UK until 1978. It was offered to both the BBC & ITV though neither could afford the (at the time astronomical) 100,000 GBP fee being asked. The BBC eventually bought the rights and showed it in 1978 along with EIC.

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by karlos »

At 12.30 am Elvis wrote history with the first world-wide telecasted concert ever. Millions of people in over 40 countries saw Elvis' live concert from Hawaii.

The total earnings of the concert, being
$ 75,000 were donated to the Kui Lee Cancer Fund. The original estimate had only been $ 25,000

The telecast, Aloha from Hawaii, would be watched by more than 1 billion people, worldwide.

The show was the most expensive entertainment special, up to that time, with costs of $ 2,5 million.

Following the show, as soon as the audience had left the building, Elvis recorded 5 songs on stage, to be included in the American version of the special. The special would be aired in the U.S.A. on April 4, 1973.

At the end of the show, Elvis removed this cape and hurled it into the audience. It was caught by Mr. Bruce Sprinks, a reporter of the Honolulu Advisor. The cape is now on display in the at Graceland.

Presley performed a vast array of old and recent hits like "Steamroller Blues", "CC Rider", "Early Morning Rain", "Burning Love", "Blue Suede Shoes", "A Big Hunk o' Love", "Suspicious Minds", "Can't Help Falling In Love." He showed his vocal range and strength with ballads like the Beatle's "Something", "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry", "It's Over", "Welcome to my World", "I'll Remember You" and "What Now My Love". The show is probably most remembered for his performance of the "An American Trilogy".

Directed by Marty Pasetta, the broadcast was a huge success: it was rumored to have reached an audience of more than one billion. In top vocal form, Presley was accompanied by:

James Burton (lead guitar)
Glen Hardin (piano)
Ronnie Tutt (drums)
John Wilkinson (rhythm guitar)
Jerry Scheff (bass)
J.D. Sumner & the Stamps Quartet (backup vocals)
Kathy Westmoreland (backup vocals)
Charlie Hodge (harmony)
Sweet Inspirations (backup vocals)
Joe Guercio & his Orchestra

The first-ever such performance to be broadcast live via satellite, Presley taped a January 12 rehearsal concert as a fail-safe in case anything went wrong with the satellite broadcast. For both shows, Presley was dressed in a white "American Eagle" jumpsuit designed by Bill Belew.

this is one of my fav - shows :wink:

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Here are 5 more little known FACTS about the special:

FACT: Other titles considered were ‘Elvis – Boogie by the Beach’ & ‘Elvis – Wriggling in Waikiki’

FACT: The special DID NOT raise $75,000 for the Kui Lee Cancer Fund! Elvis announced this at the rehearsal show when he had no way of knowing how much would be raised over the two shows – besides; Hawaiians are notoriously tight-fisted so the actual amount raised would have been nearer the $8,000 mark.

FACT: The original plan was for Elvis to end the show being carried off stage by the Memphis Mafia onto Waikiki Beach where, still in his jumpsuit, he would do an acapella version of ‘Slicing Sand’. This plan was dropped at rehearsals when the MMM’s ran out of breath before they left the HIC and they dropped Elvis.....fortunately he landed on Lamar!

FACT: When Elvis checked in at the Hilton he found the Presidential Suite had been taken by Jack Lord. All other rooms were taken so Elvis and Linda shared with Charlie.

FACT: The track list was chosen by 8 year old Memphis boy Jimmy Hanson who won a painting competition at Whitehaven Junior School.

:wink:

thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by thefunkyangel »

Delboy, WTF :lol:?

Mike S
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 13, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Quinn

Post by Brian Quinn »

The Aloha Special still holds the record for the biggest worldwide TV concert audience by a solo performer.

Brian :D

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by GERRY »

Think of this -Aloha eclipsed any event-any worldwide draw including the 1970 World Cup Fianl Brazil vs Italy the greatest WC fianl ever-the greatest footballer ever-the greatest ever football team- and the greatest world cup ever..This is why it will never be equalled.

Everybody wanted to watch Elvis news had spread from vegas 69 how awesome he was Live.

RIP Legend Alan ball.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Steve_M wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
thefunkyangel wrote:IMETJB, the production team had huge cue cards lifted up so Presley could read the lyrics to Burning Love! Watch Presley read, rather sneakly, lyrics of My Way, on Charlie's music stand!
No. The only photo evidence of cue cards is for "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry," as seen at the January 13 soundcheck.
Wrong again, Doc.

Which song had the lyric, "I Love You Elvis" in it ? :lol:
HAHA!

Well said, Steve. Are we sure this is a lyric sheet? It looks more like a fan plaque. And it makes sense: Elvis still has the guitar strap over him, indicating he has just recently arrived on the stage, which is always the time a crowd tries to grap a performer's attention and flaps cards about in adulation.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 13, 2007 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Post by GERRY »

Back in 1973 the worldwide population was much less/satalite coverage was much less etc etc

The nearest guage we have is the 70 world cup.

Also for obvious reasons one felt compelled to tune in to portions of Live Aid-also another unfair advantage was all the free publicity the Live Aid event recieved and also it was endless-everybody knew this event was on,it was all over the channels-back in 73 i would suggest that audience tuned in because of a genuine need to watch one person- so for me evidence suggests Elvis is the bigger draw.

1982 LIVE AID FACTS:-
The concerts were beamed by 14 international satellites to 500 million television sets, and an estimated audience of 1.5 billion52 performers,GLOBAL BACKING.

1973 ALOHA FACTS:-
the first live television performance by a single artist to be broadcast via satellite
More people watched his 1973 Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite TV special than watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon

The show was aired in over 40 countries, approximately 1.5 billion people viewed this concert
Last edited by GERRY on Sat May 05, 2007 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Quinn

Post by Brian Quinn »

Steve_M wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:The Aloha Special still holds the record for the biggest worldwide TV concert audience by a solo performer.

Brian :D
Depends on the definition Brian.

Solo performances during Band Aid in July 1985 may top that.

Steve,

I agree definitions are difficult. Of course 'Band Aid' included many artists.

The Guinness Book Of World Records accepts that anecdotally Elvis does in fact hold this record i.e. 'one TV concert by one performer', however they cannot include him in their book as after such a long time, nobody can prove the audience ratings - not even EPE. Perhaps Ernst Jorgensen could make the 'Aloha Concert' one of his future projects and he may be able to research such audience ratings. Elvis could then have an entry in the said Book.

Brian

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Post by GERRY »

Hi Steve,

Yes i made a mistake Live Aid was 1985,July 13th.

I recieved email from EPE a couple years back stating the 1.5 billion,the 1973 hype was 2 Billion.

Lew Nyack

Post by Lew Nyack »

Cryogenic wrote:
Steve_M wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
thefunkyangel wrote:IMETJB, the production team had huge cue cards lifted up so Presley could read the lyrics to Burning Love! Watch Presley read, rather sneakly, lyrics of My Way, on Charlie's music stand!
No. The only photo evidence of cue cards is for "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry," as seen at the January 13 soundcheck.
Wrong again, Doc.

Which song had the lyric, "I Love You Elvis" in it ? :lol:
HAHA!

Well said, Steve. Are we sure this is a lyric sheet? It looks more like a fan plaque. And it makes sense: Elvis still has the guitar strap over him, indicating he has just recently arrived on the stage, which is always the time a crowd tries to grap a performer's attention and flaps cards about in adulation.
Watch it again.......the cue cards are directly below the camera, you can see the guy swap the cards immediately after this screen cap.

I eagerly await your reply, or not.

Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

Lew Nyack

Post by Lew Nyack »

thefunkyangel wrote:DJC, take another look at Burning Love :roll:!
This is like drawing teeth........take a look at the above quote, from this very thread, Steve.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Lew Nyack wrote:Watch it again.......the cue cards are directly below the camera, you can see the guy swap the cards immediately after this screen cap.

I thought I spotted them in the rehearsal -- even though he drops lyrics in most songs.

But I wasn't sure I'd seen consistent proof of them in the main event. Will double check and get back.

Topic author
Justin

Post by Justin »

Mike S wrote:
Delboy wrote:Here are 5 more little known FACTS about the special:

FACT: Other titles considered were ‘Elvis – Boogie by the Beach’ & ‘Elvis – Wriggling in Waikiki’

FACT: The special DID NOT raise $75,000 for the Kui Lee Cancer Fund! Elvis announced this at the rehearsal show when he had no way of knowing how much would be raised over the two shows – besides; Hawaiians are notoriously tight-fisted so the actual amount raised would have been nearer the $8,000 mark.

FACT: The original plan was for Elvis to end the show being carried off stage by the Memphis Mafia onto Waikiki Beach where, still in his jumpsuit, he would do an acapella version of ‘Slicing Sand’. This plan was dropped at rehearsals when the MMM’s ran out of breath before they left the HIC and they dropped Elvis.....fortunately he landed on Lamar!

FACT: When Elvis checked in at the Hilton he found the Presidential Suite had been taken by Jack Lord. All other rooms were taken so Elvis and Linda shared with Charlie.

FACT: The track list was chosen by 8 year old Memphis boy Jimmy Hanson who won a painting competition at Whitehaven Junior School.

:wink:
This is what I love about this messageboard--I've been a fan for 30 years and yet I'm still learning something new.

Thanks Delboy for your incomparable research and dedication to the cause.[
/quote]

That's the sole reason for my proposing the library. For moments like that.

Lew Nyack

Post by Lew Nyack »

Cryogenic wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:Watch it again.......the cue cards are directly below the camera, you can see the guy swap the cards immediately after this screen cap.

I thought I spotted them in the rehearsal -- even though he drops lyrics in most songs.

But I wasn't sure I'd seen consistent proof of them in the main event. Will double check and get back.
Thanks Cryo.
The above screen cap is from the original edit, but the cards are visible in the new cut as well.