Sundial Suit in 1974!

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Cryogenic wrote:The Doc is just pulling his usual schtick.
What "usual schitck" is that?

What is tiresome on this MB are absurd "conclusions" based on factual misstatements. On occasion, some choose to redress the balance.

If this creates fatigue, there are myriad of other MBs with much lighter fare.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

TCB TED
Registered for: 19 years

Post by TCB TED »

Sometimes, reality checks are a bitch.

For those of us who can remember the fall of '77, the CBS Special was
absolutely shocking. Save for the odd glance at an Enquirer cover, I thought
Elvis probably looked much the same as in Aloha. No internet meant that the world was a large place, and celebrity paparazzi didn't exist.

Aug. 16th brought us news reports with older footage, so come fall the CBS Special was visually quite upsetting. Even with 20/20 hindsight, I don't recall thinking, "He was ill, but still handsome and in good voice". Any true fan shed a tear at the trainwreck that became EIC.

DJC adds a reality check that is missing on other boards. At one point in time, I rationalized Elvis' decline on anything but polypharmacy. As the decades fly by, I tend to sympathize with his dependancy, and try to learn from those mistakes.
The 1974 Sundial suit immediately connects me to the sad image of a terminally ill man who's world was spinning out of control.

I hate that suit.

drjohncarpenter

TCB TED wrote:Sometimes, reality checks are a bitch.

For those of us who can remember the fall of '77, the CBS Special was absolutely shocking. Save for the odd glance at an Enquirer cover, I thought Elvis probably looked much the same as in Aloha. No internet meant that the world was a large place, and celebrity paparazzi didn't exist.

Aug. 16th brought us news reports with older footage, so come fall the CBS Special was visually quite upsetting. Even with 20/20 hindsight, I don't recall thinking, "He was ill, but still handsome and in good voice". Any true fan shed a tear at the trainwreck that became EIC.

DJC adds a reality check that is missing on other boards. At one point in time, I rationalized Elvis' decline on anything but polypharmacy. As the decades fly by, I tend to sympathize with his dependancy, and try to learn from those mistakes. The 1974 Sundial suit immediately connects me to the sad image of a terminally ill man who's world was spinning out of control.

I hate that suit.
Ted, like a Beethoven symphony, there's not a note out of place.

Thank you for your superb insight and kind words.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Lew Nyack

Post by Lew Nyack »

Elvis probably looked much the same as in Aloha. No internet meant that the world was a large place, and celebrity paparazzi didn't exist.

DJC adds a reality check that is missing on other boards. At one point in time, I rationalized Elvis' decline on anything but polypharmacy. As the decades fly by, I tend to sympathize with his dependancy, and try to learn from those mistakes.
The 1974 Sundial suit immediately connects me to the sad image of a terminally ill man who's world was spinning out of control.

I hate that suit.
Who here is in need of this 'reality check'. Near as I can tell, most fans are aware Elvis had a drug problem, a poor diet, became ill and overweight then died at 42.
Check one, two.
Last edited by Lew Nyack on Fri May 04, 2007 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Lew Nyack wrote:

I hate that suit.
Who here is in need of this 'eality check'N ar a I can tell, most fans are aware Elvis had a drug problem, a poor diet, became ill and overweight then died at 42.
Check one, two.
Therefore, we should all embrace EIC and hold the brutal sundial suit in high regard... :roll:

Lew Nyack

Post by Lew Nyack »

midnightx wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:

I hate that suit.
Who here is in need of this 'eality check'N ar a I can tell, most fans are aware Elvis had a drug problem, a poor diet, became ill and overweight then died at 42.
Check one, two.
Therefore, we should all embrace EIC and hold the brutal sundial suit in high regard... :roll:
If that's your opinion, then you are welcome to it.

sam

Post by sam »

midnightx wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:

I hate that suit.
Check one, two.
My appologies to who doesn't understand, but I loved and cared for Elvis (from afar) from when I discovered who he was, till the day he died and after, beyond, etc, Just because he had the problems that keep getting brought up over and over again, I'm not going to change my feelings for the great man that he was right till the end. Some people can't view the man behind this tragedy that was 1977.
I don't want the Sundial suit or the performances that made EIC forgotten!!
But I will probably not see a release of this in the quality it should be available in, thanks EPE!!! But maybe!!!! :wink:

Lew Nyack

Post by Lew Nyack »

sam wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:

I hate that suit.
Check one, two.
I don't want the Sundial suit or the performances that made EIC forgotten!!
Amen bro.

Narek
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Narek »

I agree that the two piece suit would make Elvis look better in 1977. But none of us can rewrite history and I remember Elvis in his last concerts in that particular suit, and it does not bring up any negative feelings. Elvis said a very powerful goodbye in his Indianapolis show. I remember the show as one of the best, a lot better than Aloha.
Now some people on this board may make smart ass remarks about Elvs' last shows, but to me they (especially the last concert) are very dear and his voice is fantastic. This are the last shows wher we can see our man.
I certainly would like to have the show in excellent sound and picture quality, but I also think that releasing the show with milti million copies would be a wrong step.

He's the King. No matter what you think.

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by rickeap »

Nicely said Elvis Babe, Sam etc
Rick

sam

Post by sam »

Thanks Rick. I tell ya, if being an Elvis scholar means hiding facts, and shunning parts of the mans career, I'm glad I'm just a fan!!!

:wink:

drjohncarpenter

sam wrote:Thanks Rick. I tell ya, if being an Elvis scholar means hiding facts, and shunning parts of the mans career, I'm glad I'm just a fan!!!
sam, you old chestnut, what facts go hidden and which parts are shunned?

Since I have always embraced Elvis Presley's entire career, albeit with honesty, passion and intelligence, I am curious which person here inspired that devastating outlook.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

sam

Post by sam »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sam wrote:Thanks Rick. I tell ya, if being an Elvis scholar means hiding facts, and shunning parts of the mans career, I'm glad I'm just a fan!!!
sam, you old chestnut, what facts go hidden and which parts are shunned?

Since I have always embraced Elvis Presley's entire career, albeit with honesty, passion and intelligence, I am curious which person here inspired that devastating outlook.
Well Doc, it was my thoughts you want EIC hidden(from the public). I'm glad my post was a mistake and you cherish this part of his career!!!

I hope to one day view it in the best possible quality and I will be wearing my rose coloured glasses as it makes for best viewing!!!

:wink:

thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by thefunkyangel »

Joe Public's perception on his last (they don't know Presley had five more dates) concert has always made me laugh! How many of you good people have heard people say '...yeah I saw his last concert in Hawaii, when he was fat and sick!' I'm sure now 30 years later, EIC (if released) wouldn't cause that much of a stir amongst the media and the public. We (and they) all know the rags to riches story and the sad demise, that ultimately took his life!
IMO, I honestly think releasing it would do more good then harm! If marketed well with good promotion, I'm sure it would sell!
Here are some great tag lines -
'The special we (the estate) did not want you to see'
'Presley gave it his all, right up until the very end'
'Elvis had it and lost it, but his legacy is now 30 years young'

If the Presley' played the sympathy vote, it will not back fire!
This is the only I have commented on a possible release.

drjohncarpenter

sam wrote:Well Doc, it was my thoughts you want EIC hidden(from the public). I'm glad my post was a mistake ...
Yes, I'm glad too.

It was a mistake, because I have never said I wanted "EIC hidden(from the public)" -- nor have I ever said I "cherish" this sad end to his wonderful career.

And, of course, how could any SANE person "cherish" footage of a great singer in very ill health, unable -- for the most part -- to sing well, and struggling to make it appear he's having a good time?

Glad to clear up your confusion, sam.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Doc, if you honestly don't know the answer to that question, you deserve the sympathy of us all.............

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Lew Nyack

Post by Lew Nyack »

ColinB wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Doc, if you honestly don't know the answer to that question, you deserve the sympathy of us all.............
I like the cut of your jib, Colin.