All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed May 02, 2007 5:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
deadringer wrote:That Sundial thing was horrible no matter if it was in Oct. 74 or in 77. Elvis look like fat dung beetle in it.

"Until we meet you again, may God bless you. Adios."

Best. Post. Ever.

Wed May 02, 2007 6:14 am

Sometimes I wonder where the Elvis fans are!!!

:shock:

Wed May 02, 2007 6:29 am

:lol: you know, i should really be offended and go into a rosey-colored glasses spewing...

my little gold scarab pendant hanging on my cartouche necklace is suddenly looking even cuter. that scarab even looks like it has cute little bellbottoms. :lol:

even if he looked like a bug, eic is still worthy of lew's super deluxe dvd set and 200 page photo book. :twisted: i'd buy the dvd set very happily. i'd be pleased as punch to watch unchained melody, i really don't want to know, etc... in perfect quality.

as for the sundial suit... it certainly does have quite a bit of nostalgia about it. there are a lot of suits i prefer to it, but i don't hate it. he had worse ( ::cough:: the puffy sleeves bicentennial and unflattering torso gypsy ::cough:: ). at least the sundial suit was the style with the long v opening.

-----------------------

"Well, I never get tired, tired, tired of working on the building
I'm going up to heaven to get my reward..."

:oops:
Last edited by Elvis' Babe on Wed May 02, 2007 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 02, 2007 6:30 am

This coming from our resident zinger artist.

C'mon, sam. It WAS funny. The jumpsuit was not very flattering, in my opinion. Though Doc's absurd spin was what really amused me -- hence my quoting THAT PARTICULAR POST.

Wed May 02, 2007 6:59 am

Cryogenic wrote:This coming from our resident zinger artist.

C'mon, sam. It WAS funny. The jumpsuit was not very flattering, in my opinion. Though Doc's absurd spin was what really amused me -- hence my quoting THAT PARTICULAR POST.

OK,
I'm just having one of those days, after another, after another!!!! :wink:

:lol:

Wed May 02, 2007 7:07 am

I can't believe it!

Elvis' Babe has brought true substance to a silly remark / joke!

I can almost imagine EP going for a jumpsuit based on that tablet. HAHA. Scary!

Wed May 02, 2007 1:51 pm

sam wrote:Sometimes I wonder where the Elvis fans are!!!

:shock:

There's one right here Sam :wink:

Wed May 02, 2007 4:29 pm

A couple of weeks ago while doing a search on this site I came across a Topic about 16/8/77. In it was a post from someone detailing exactly what Medication Elvis took , Why and the side effects it had. I sent Him a PM thanking Him etc because I was impressed and it made Me realise yep I had been wearing blinkers.

I was shocked to say the least but shouldn't have been really because the Legend that Is Ger Rijff had told me too...after all He has given nearly 50 years of his life to Elvis and had been there in 76 and 77 and seen the destruction the drugs had caused, but I hadn't listened...Sorry Ger!!

After seeing this thread turn into the Sundial suit and a comparison with A beetle, I decided to Watch the Rapid City Show again, BUT this time knowing that Elvis wasn't up to His usual standard because of the Drugs.

I can see now that between arriving at the Venue and going on stage, He had indeed taken ''something''. On the way to the dressing room he was quite coherrant but on stage He stuttered and found it difficult to talk at times....I had put this down to Nerves.

To the show itself. I still thoroughly enjoyed it and it still made me laugh out loud at some of the things He did and said, but what made it better for me this time was knowing the effort Elvis had put into it to ensure the audience had a good time, and they did. Yes He stumbled over words BUT he also knew He/They had missed a note on the opening number, and He was still in awe of Sherrill Neilson's singing, therefore I thought to Myself He can't have been that out of it.

Now to THE Suit. Yes Elvis didn't look His best in it but so what, it was just A Suit. Yes He probably could have worn something a little more flattering but He didn't I can forgive Him for that, and it didn't make me enjoy the show any less.

One thing I have realised though is Elvis owes ME nothing, He didn't ask Me to be A Fan I chose Him, yet I owe Him LOTS..for all the hours of enjoyment He has given Me through His Films and Music and for that He has My Respect and Gratitude and I will always defend Him No matter what.

Wed May 02, 2007 5:00 pm

Little Darlin' wrote:
I can see now that between arriving at the Venue and going on stage, He had indeed taken ''something''. On the way to the dressing room he was quite coherrant but on stage He stuttered and found it difficult to talk at times....I had put this down to Nerves.

Perhaps you were right first time.

After all, none of us know for sure and having cameras trained on you, capturing every detail at that period of his life would understandably have been a terrifying experience.

Elvis was human after all and he battled heroically right up to the end to put on the best show possible for his fans.

For me, this is yet another factor contributing to his enduring appeal.

Wed May 02, 2007 5:46 pm

but on the other hand, not every thought and action was drug-influenced. he was taking mostly painkillers, sleep medications and uppers. granted, those things are never good, but it doesn't mean every single action he did for a little less than 20 years he was taking them was beyond his control or not fully him making the decision, etc... his emotions, opinions, etc... weren't created by drugs. perhaps he got a bit loose-lipped at times, but even then, could it be he was just really angry? we all say things we shouldn't when we are upset--and a lot of us don't have drugs to blame for every single one of our outbursts.

elvis was sick at the end of his life. it was a mixture of things. a hereditary heart condition he got from the smith side of his family... and the biggest affect the drugs did was destroy his physical body--his personal life falling apart around him (the divorce was a huge catalyst) was a huge reason he pretty much gave up on himself. the twisted colon caused the bloating, which caused him to look puffy or 'fat' when he really wasn't (see his toothpick arms and legs that are completely disproportionate), which caused him to be even more insecure than he already was naturally since childhood... not to mention the cruelty of the media with the infamous "fat and forty". then you had the false paternity lawsuit which he quite vocally blew up at--not just because of his reputation, but how it hurt his daughter, father and loved ones.

pharmaceutical drugs were the band-aids, not the causes of his emotional problems.

i spent enough time in rehab (i have depression) to know that drugs are band-aids... people don't just get better if they stop taking their drug of choice. you have to want to live. you have to deal with your personal issues that you are trying to numb yourself away from.

not to mention that when elvis' body was failing him, he was getting tons of medical complications (glaucoma, the twisted colon, his heart)... so he would be taking more painkillers and medications to treat the side-effects of the other medications (or hair-dye in the case of the glaucoma). it was a no-win situation for him.

when i watch elvis in concert i don't see every action controlled by drugs. i see a sick man with a beautiful soul who is trying his best despite his life and body falling apart. and he does some extraordinary performances within that material. i consider that unchained melody from rapid city to possibly be the greatest performance of his life. it is perfection that transcends technicality--perfection in imperfection--the ultimate sad beauty. i can tell you my undying love of that performance from here until doomsday... it is truly extraordinary. it was truly his goodbye to his fans and the world.

people make fun of his weight (or bloating), but what they fail to realize is that he wasn't terribly big by today's standards. com'on. look around. he still looked great when he was almost dead in comparison to the epidemic of gluttony--and most of those people don't even have the excuse that there are other factors than food and lack of exercise. fact is, when i visited graceland, over half of the visitors looked like they wouldn't have fit in the sundial suit. the fact that elvis was sick and dying during that very short period just makes the jokes cruel. he's an easy target that can't defend himself.

so give me my rosy-colored glasses, because i do appreciate his last years immensely. vocally he still had it. the jungle room sessions are one of the best things ever. he was singing his heart out in those last years... and i love it warts and all.

Wed May 02, 2007 6:34 pm

Sterling posts, Little Darlin and Elvis' Babe!

The mixture of rightness and wrongness of that final jumpsuit -- i.e. it's totally "Elvis", if still unflattering -- is what gives EIC and those final years an extra "sad beauty". Elvis probably knew he didn't look his best wearing it, but still chose to, almost as an acknowledgement that he was still "Elvis", but now a little more human and knowable. There's always that unspoken quality about it.

Thu May 03, 2007 9:36 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:elvis was sick at the end of his life. it was a mixture of things. a hereditary heart condition he got from the smith side of his family...

No. It is well-established there was no "hereditary heart condition" that contributed to Elvis Presley's death. And his arteries weren't "corroded," either.

Elvis' Babe wrote:and the biggest affect the drugs did was destroy his physical body ...

No. What the drugs did was kill him at the untimely age of 42.

Elvis' Babe wrote:the twisted colon caused the bloating, which caused him to look puffy or 'fat' when he really wasn't ...

The colon was "twisted" because Elvis had abused barbituates for so long it stopped working. A side effect of the problem was bloat to his midsection, but overeating and lack of exercise also altered his appearance with a weight gain.

Elvis' Babe wrote:com'on. look around. he still looked great when he was almost dead ...

Wow, what a talking point. Here's another: how foxy do you think Elvis was on August 17, 1977?

Elvis' Babe wrote:so give me my rosy-colored glasses ...

Have you worn out the ones you're wearing?

Thu May 03, 2007 9:56 am

If you are skinny all or most of your life and get fat. You get ugly. Or uglier if you are ugly to begin with. If you are fat all your life and get skinny. You get ugly or weird looking cause thats NOT your natural state. Of course if you love the person then that person will always be beautiful to you...even if to the rest of the world that person got hit really hard with an ugly stick! :lol: Ps. extremes I was referring to.

Thu May 03, 2007 10:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis' Babe wrote:elvis was sick at the end of his life. it was a mixture of things. a hereditary heart condition he got from the smith side of his family...

No. It is well-established there was no "hereditary heart condition" that contributed to Elvis Presley's death. And his arteries weren't "corroded," either.

it seems the smith side of the family has a long tradition of dropping dead early. gladys is an obvious example. that's not spectacular genetics. vernon had 5 heart attacks, himself. as for his arteries--his arteries were described as being as corroded as a 70 year old man's.

Elvis' Babe wrote:and the biggest affect the drugs did was destroy his physical body ...

No. What the drugs did was kill him at the untimely age of 42.

no, duh. not to mention the fact that he mentally had been giving up as well. what i was talking about was he still had an amazing voice.

Elvis' Babe wrote:the twisted colon caused the bloating, which caused him to look puffy or 'fat' when he really wasn't ...

The colon was "twisted" because Elvis had abused barbituates for so long it stopped working. A side effect of the problem was bloat to his midsection, but overeating and lack of exercise also altered his appearance with a weight gain.

it wasn't all from overeating and lack of exercise. if it had been he wouldn't have had arms and legs like toothpicks even in '77--look at the hawaii vacation pictures--completely disproportionate to his gut. and his appearance fluctuated day by day, week by week, because a lot of it WAS bloating. he looked puffy and sick with water retention, not 'fat'. however, his weight problem didn't just start in the '70s. see: king creole (in comparison to jailhouse rock, yes there is a big difference), follow that dream, kid galahad, paradise, hawaiian style, etc... he had love-handles in blue hawaii, for christ's sake. it wasn't a new phenomenon for him to struggle with weight. at the end he was also a 42 year old man. it happens. however, i firmly stand by my opinion that he never looked better than he did between '67 and '74.

Elvis' Babe wrote:com'on. look around. he still looked great when he was almost dead ...

Wow, what a talking point. Here's another: how foxy do you think Elvis was on August 17, 1977?

i was talking about look around and look at the people around you--look at yourselves, look at america, look at a lot of the world. in comparison to the vast majority of the world, yes, he still looked better. a lot of his appeal, even in his youth, was his charisma came from his disposition, his humor, his smile, his big soul... it was a lot deeper than being a magazine model. that is why he still had people proclaiming him beautiful when his traditional external skin-deep beauty was taken from him--there was more that was beautiful about him than just that. as for your other comment--that is so sick it doesn't even merit a retort.

Elvis' Babe wrote:so give me my rosy-colored glasses ...

Have you worn out the ones you're wearing?

and are you getting tired of wearing glasses made out of volcanic rock? it is called having a little compassion and not being a fair-weather fan who only appreciates his idol as long as the idol is singing the material you think he should be singing, looking the way you want him to look and doing the things you think he should be doing. some of you fair-weather fans make it sound like elvis failed you personally in some way. elvis had more to him than being a rocker and he was also very, very human... there is no such thing as a perfect human. the only perfection is in imperfection--and elvis was a glowing example of that. he is more interesting as a person with all of his imperfections--even those imperfections that i consider triumphs of the human spirit.

"before you accuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes."

"the image is one thing and the human being is another. it's very hard to live up to an image."
Last edited by Elvis' Babe on Thu May 03, 2007 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 03, 2007 10:23 am

I was wrong. Your glasses are not "rose-colored" -- they are opaque.

See ya!

Thu May 03, 2007 10:39 am

Little Darlin wrote:He was still in awe of Sherrill Neilson's singing, therefore I thought to Myself He can't have been that out of it.

Oh, come on! One really needs to be "out of it" to be in awe of Sherrill"s so-called "singing".... :lol:

Thu May 03, 2007 12:45 pm

Elvis' Babe wrote:

and are you getting tired of wearing glasses made out of volcanic rock? it is called having a little compassion and not being a fair-weather fan who only appreciates his idol as long as the idol is singing the material you think he should be singing, looking the way you want him to look and doing the things you think he should be doing. some of you fair-weather fans make it sound like elvis failed you personally in some way. elvis had more to him than being a rocker and he was also very, very human... there is no such thing as a perfect human. the only perfection is in imperfection--and elvis was a glowing example of that. he is more interesting as a person with all of his imperfections--even those imperfections that i consider triumphs of the human spirit.

"before you accuse, criticize and accuse, walk a mile in my shoes."

"the image is one thing and the human being is another. it's very hard to live up to an image."

--------------------------

I agree with you, Elvis' Babe!

And don't worry about the Doc, I don't think too many at this messageboard take him seriously anymore.

Thu May 03, 2007 2:51 pm

Juan Luis wrote:If you are skinny all or most of your life and get fat. You get ugly. Or uglier if you are ugly to begin with. If you are fat all your life and get skinny. You get ugly or weird looking cause thats NOT your natural state. Of course if you love the person then that person will always be beautiful to you...even if to the rest of the world that person got hit really hard with an ugly stick! :lol: Ps. extremes I was referring to.

Interesting perspective, that.

Thu May 03, 2007 7:05 pm

KHoots wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:If you are skinny all or most of your life and get fat. You get ugly. Or uglier if you are ugly to begin with. If you are fat all your life and get skinny. You get ugly or weird looking cause thats NOT your natural state. Of course if you love the person then that person will always be beautiful to you...even if to the rest of the world that person got hit really hard with an ugly stick! :lol: Ps. extremes I was referring to.

Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead never gave until this subject a second thought about his weight! Quite overweight but he looked ok to me! Now if Mick Jagger (naturally ugly) gets 10,20,30,40 pounds overweight...need I say more?

Thu May 03, 2007 8:41 pm

Juan Luis wrote:Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead never gave until this subject a second thought about his weight! Quite overweight but he looked ok to me! Now if Mick Jagger (naturally ugly) gets 10,20,30,40 pounds overweight...need I say more?

No, that was plenty. Maybe if you listed those persons who are "naturally ugly," I would catch on a little quicker.

Thu May 03, 2007 10:51 pm

Juan Luis wrote:
KHoots wrote:

Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead never gave until this subject a second thought about his weight! Quite overweight but he looked ok to me! Now if Mick Jagger (naturally ugly) gets 10,20,30,40 pounds overweight...need I say more?

I think it would make him look better.

Thu May 03, 2007 11:41 pm

Spanish_Eyes wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
KHoots wrote:

I think it would make him look better.

Sorry, there is nothing that could make Mick look better, he's as ugly as sin, though a few pounds couldn't hurt that's for sure! :lol:

Fri May 04, 2007 3:48 am

Why release it professionally? Everyone has seen it...EP does not look better as the quality goes up! I copied for myself to s-vhs a 3/4 inch of that show and you see bad skin,color, ..worse than that photo of Back In Memphis half of double album...the shot where you can see all of his acne,blemishes in black and white...come to think of it thats why EP wore make up so much even when not performing..bad skin.........but not deathly ill, almost jaundice that he had at the filming....anyways there seems a need to change it and look on the bright side...not much except the lovely man...but sick nevertheless and God forbid a close family member or friend gets sick..you cherish the pictures ...but of course you enjoy looking and SHARING the ones that represented the happiest of times.

Fri May 04, 2007 4:20 am

KHoots wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead never gave until this subject a second thought about his weight! Quite overweight but he looked ok to me! Now if Mick Jagger (naturally ugly) gets 10,20,30,40 pounds overweight...need I say more?

No, that was plenty. Maybe if you listed those persons who are "naturally ugly," I would catch on a little quicker.
The whole Rolling stones band are ugly dudes. .....I want to say less attractive when you gain weight. sorry if I offended anyone with weight problem reading this. Sincerely,JL. Ps. Did not get Pm's or anything just thought I should do this...I feel better now.

Fri May 04, 2007 5:21 am

I think reasonable people got your point, Juan. All of us are different, but no one looks as attractive as they could be when they've gained excessive weight, be it through bloating or actual fat. And so it was even with Elvis -- if he can look less than fantastic, ANYONE can. It should be a lesson to us all. I am with Elvis' Babe. The Doc is just pulling his usual schtick. Even I, long a Doc supporter, must confess it's become tiring, especially where and when it concerns the late-70's Elvis.