All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sundial Suit in 1974!

Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:08 pm

Check out these great pics of a slimline Elvis in Tahoe 1974, wearing the Sundial suit for the first time. Note the difference in jewelry and side-burn style that differentiates it fromthe 1977 shows.

http://groups.msn.com/officialelvispres ... t1974.msnw

Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Last edited by Steve_M on Sun May 13, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:12 pm

It looks great on him at this period though, doesn't it?

Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:16 pm

Very impressive and many thanks!

According to certain sources he only wore this suit prior to 1977 on 11th & 12th October 1974 in Lake Tahoe.

Great pics of the great suit at a great time.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:55 pm

These pics can also be found here, in the Jumpsuit Junkies section. It's still not a flattering suit, even in 74!

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:03 pm

Not flattering at all. But it's still better than this one.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:20 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:It looks great on him at this period though, doesn't it?

No. The Sundial suit was brutal.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:49 pm

than for sharing 74 pics . very impressive . many thanx - swingin- little guitar man .
i have not seen these before .

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:50 am

What bugs me about this suit is why the hell is it called the 'Mexican Sundial' suit.....WTF??

Near as I can tell it's a Maya Calendar depicted on this suit......

"Mexican Sundial" Suit:

Maya Calendar:

I hearby move the motion that the 'Mexican Sundial Suit' be renamed the 'Maya Calendar Suit'.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:11 am

it's also aztec as well as mayan. "aztec calendar" is probably best. but mexican culture heavily embraces the aztecs as their most famous indigenous culture (though quite a scary bloody one).

mayan culture is central american. aztec is father north in present day mexico. so yeah... mexican sundial is more or less correct, except that one is an aztec calendar and the other is a roman clock.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:22 am

Elvis_Priestly wrote:According to certain sources he only wore this suit prior to 1977 on 11th & 12th October 1974 in Lake Tahoe.

The pics may be great, but neither suit nor time can be.

---

Supposedly this ill-fated costume was worn October 12, 1974 DS, and not seen again until February 17, 1977.

The FECC site has had photos up for years on this subject: FECC - Jumpsuit Junkies 1974.

And it's not the only outfit to make a debut in Tahoe: FECC - Jumpsuit Junkies 1974 (2)

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:59 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:it's also aztec as well as mayan. "aztec calendar" is probably best. but mexican culture heavily embraces the aztecs as their most famous indigenous culture (though quite a scary bloody one).

mayan culture is central american. aztec is father north in present day mexico. so yeah... mexican sundial is more or less correct, except that one is an aztec calendar and the other is a roman clock.

Yes, I can understand (though don't agree), the bastardization of the 'Mexican' description, but 'sundial'????

Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:36 am

epe should try and pass these photos off as elvis's last concert to the general public as they do look good saves them having to see all those shity ones from june 77.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis_Priestly wrote:According to certain sources he only wore this suit prior to 1977 on 11th & 12th October 1974 in Lake Tahoe.

The pics may be great, but neither suit nor time can be.
[/url]

Cheers for the link Doc, still finding my way round here and great stuff there.

re. "great", I keep forgetting to add IMO, so ... "IMO and thanks for IYO"

Which I think should be a song in "Paradise Forum Style" - you and I in a red convertible can sing it, you'll have to hold the ukulele though cause I'll be driving, so try not to get your stethoscope tangled in the strings. :wink:

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:57 pm

Elvis_Priestly wrote:re. "great", I keep forgetting to add IMO, so ... "IMO and thanks for IYO"

Yes. The difference is my opinion is a very good one.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Yes. The difference is my opinion is a very good one.

Then what a duet it shall be.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Elvis_Priestly wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Yes. The difference is my opinion of myself is a very good one, even if everyone else doesn't agree
:wink:

Then what a duet it shall be.

Sing it again Elvis priestly!!! :wink:

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:13 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis_Priestly wrote:re. "great", I keep forgetting to add IMO, so ... "IMO and thanks for IYO"

Yes. The difference is my opinion is a very good one.

:roll:

Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:23 pm

The "Mexican Sundial" suit did very little for Elvis at any time he wore it. It was a very poor choice of wardrobe. For anyone who may be gaining weight, and conscious of their appearance, I can't imagine a worse decision than to put a huge gold oval on themselves and go out in public. The jumpsuits should have been retired post-Aloha, in favor of two-piece outfits which complimented Elvis's appearance.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:00 pm

The 1975 two piece suits are probably my favorite outfits that Elvis wore, along with his more simple jumpsuits, although there is an exception with the Blue Gypsy suit, I really like that one.

I have to agree that the jumpsuits were not the best idea for Elvis post 75, maybe earlier. He should've stuck with the two piece designs. He looked great in them. 8)

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:33 pm

I particularly hate the Prehistoric Bird/Bicenntenial suits. Too baroque and ugly. Plus, Elvis wore them when he looked his worst.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:43 pm

I think any jumpsuit that was overworn get on people's nerves. The Prehistoric Bird and Mexican Sundial suits are probably the biggest culprits.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:09 pm

omnipresence wrote:The 1975 two piece suits are probably my favorite outfits that Elvis wore, along with his more simple jumpsuits, although there is an exception with the Blue Gypsy suit, I really like that one.

I have to agree that the jumpsuits were not the best idea for Elvis post 75, maybe earlier. He should've stuck with the two piece designs. He looked great in them. 8)

these are my fav - ones as well omnipresence, my friend .- i also like the 72 - 73 and 74 suits as well.-
the sundial suits just looked a bit too big on him i thought , but it sure looked greta on him in 74 at lake tahoe . my fav suits are 72 - blue swirl suits and tiffany suit in Honolulu , phoenix suit in 75 and red phoenix suit at Huntsville - ( may 30-31st 75 ) ,Aloha suit - ( Jan 73 ) etc .

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:27 pm

Tje red phoenix suit is my favorite of all the phoenix suits, very nice. I like the shows he did in las vegas 76 wearing this suit. :)
karlos wrote:
omnipresence wrote:The 1975 two piece suits are probably my favorite outfits that Elvis wore, along with his more simple jumpsuits, although there is an exception with the Blue Gypsy suit, I really like that one.

these are my fav - ones as well omnipresence, my friend .- i also like the 72 - 73 and 74 suits as well.-
the sundial suits just looked a bit too big on him i thought , but it sure looked greta on him in 74 at lake tahoe . my fav suits are 72 - blue swirl suits and tiffany suit in Honolulu , phoenix suit in 75 and red phoenix suit at Huntsville - ( may 30-31st 75 ) ,Aloha suit - ( Jan 73 ) etc .

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:34 pm

I like the suit but unfortunately it only evokes images of a man at the end of the road, no matter what suit he wore he'd have looked terrible but the Sundial Suit has taken the fall.