All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:29 pm

Cryogenic wrote:I don't want to hear about charity as a defence, either. They make MILLIONS off American Idol, so just shut it.

This somewhat smacks of intolerance and disrespect.

Whatever happened to respecting other's views?

Charity as a defense? Defense of what? No defense needed IMO.

Had Elvis been alive, he would have wanted to participate in this. As he is not, it is great that he was able to in this way.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:50 pm

it is pretty amazing how a little time shift can make something sound incredibly different, huh? :wink:

Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:49 pm

BIGREDG wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:I don't want to hear about charity as a defence, either. They make MILLIONS off American Idol, so just shut it.

This somewhat smacks of intolerance and disrespect.

Whatever happened to respecting other's views?

You guys take me far too seriously. You can have your say in whatever. I was using it euphemistically / jokey manner within the confines of my own argument. It's not an imperative.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:25 pm

Check this out

The Secret of How Elvis Appeared on American Idol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHyTwNo_O5c
not much new but still

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:14 am

I don't think they did, woodleyjohn (though I haven't rewatched it). Then again, they didn't need to. Not many people would have to ask, "Who's that?"

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:34 am

All in all it is an amazing piece of technology and brought Elvis at his best to the masses. However, it has to be said that whilst Celine Dion is a technically good singer, she is neither hip nor cutting edge. Still I enjoyed it and it was infinite times better than seeing an ETA.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:05 am

Johnny 99 wrote:All in all it is an amazing piece of technology and brought Elvis at his best to the masses. However, it has to be said that whilst Celine Dion is a technically good singer, she is neither hip nor cutting edge. Still I enjoyed it and it was infinite times better than seeing an ETA.

But that's all the poor Audience saw :wink:

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:13 am

Little Darlin wrote:
Johnny 99 wrote:All in all it is an amazing piece of technology and brought Elvis at his best to the masses. However, it has to be said that whilst Celine Dion is a technically good singer, she is neither hip nor cutting edge. Still I enjoyed it and it was infinite times better than seeing an ETA.

But that's all the poor Audience saw :wink:
yeah but at least he didn't have a stomach like a darts player :wink:

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:23 am

nice sig pic, Johnny 99.

Sam Cooke is right at the top of my favorite singers list (right under Elvis) along with Roy Orbison.

RE

Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:32 am

How about an entire elvis concert this way.
He would fill up the hilton again.
this way a new world tour could happen, with all the tcb member on stage to, but this time elvis not on a big screen, but on stage like on american idols.

dream, dream.
this would be great.

Eddy
Holland.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:39 am

I've watched this a few times now, last time recorded from the show on UK ITV2 and it still makes me shiver. I do like Celine Dion's singing voice, have her cds and some of her songs I wish Elvis had covered.

BUT it was all about Elvis for me, it kind of annoys me that she stands there so stiffly while our guy is stirring up the place her only motion is that little drop of the mic from one hand to the other. I can't honestly tell you what I think of the duet musically because I can't get over seeing my Elvis in front of that now internationally ubiquitous background of the Idol franchise - seeing him in that contemporary setting with his timelessness is moving for me. And when he says goodnight at the end and gives his little nod on that stage...

The song itself? I think it was picked because it is a "charitable" power ballad for one but also its a video of Elvis where it would have been relatively easy to isolate him from the background it being a mostly simple black background. The difficult bit would have been his black hair, isolating it from the background, and you can see the evidence of this as his hair "thickness" isn't consistent throughout the edit. That's the minutiae of the visuals though - the whole thing though I think is superb given the stir it has caused and the fact it brings Elvis to a new generation without the usual caricature.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:37 pm

woodleyjohn wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they mention Elvis' name at any time during the broadcast?

EPE have exclusive rights to it..........................

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:49 pm

woodleyjohn wrote:......I think Celine handled it just right in that she didn't try to grab the limelight.
She could have given it some wellie in an attemp to overpower Elvis but she didn't.
The mic drop bit was a nice touch.

Yes, I think it was all done pretty well [and I don't even like her].

Just consider the disaster it could have been.................

I look forward to lots more of this sort of thing.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:50 pm

woodleyjohn wrote:I agree for the most part but I think Celine handled it just right in that she didn't try to grab the limelight. She could have given it some wellie in an attemp to overpower Elvis but she didn't. The mic drop bit was a nice touch.

Very true - smiled a bit too much for the song IMO, but otherwise still think it was fantastic :D

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:06 pm

I have kinda come 'round to Cryo's Karen Carpenter Solitaire idea now :shock:

Could be nice.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:07 pm

how about elvis with keith urban i think that would rock. :smt035

Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:19 pm

The following comment appeared in 'Variety' Magazine on 26th April:

In a bizarre yet technically brilliant example of corporate synergy disguised as art, a newly created clip of Celine Dion and Elvis Presley doing a duet of "If I Can Dream" was premiered. (Robert Sillerman owns "Idol's" production company, 19 Prods., and the majority of Elvis Presley Enterprises.) Presley's remarkable perf, full of vigor and conviction, stands the test of time; Dion, who has no room to oversing, simply goes through the motions.

Brian :)

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:59 pm

At least some people have their heads screwed on straight.

The Celine message boards think Celine could have outsung Elvis "if she wanted to" but didn't because she didn't want to upstage him. :lol:

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:37 pm

sackofnachos wrote:At least some people have their heads screwed on straight.

The Celine message boards think Celine could have outsung Elvis "if she wanted to" but didn't because she didn't want to upstage him. :lol:

Well, it wasn't a singing contest !

Wouldn't have been very fair to try & 'outdo' someone who wasn't in a position to respond in any way......

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:53 pm

sackofnachos wrote:The Celine message boards think Celine could have outsung Elvis "if she wanted to" but didn't because she didn't want to upstage him. :lol:

It depends what you mean by "outsung".

Out-bawled? Yes. Out-classed? No.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:40 am

BIGREDG wrote:I have kinda come 'round to Cryo's Karen Carpenter Solitaire idea now :shock:

Could be nice.

Seriously? That's cool.

P.S. BIGREDG. I'm sorry about the word "glib" in that other thread. I did incorrectly read Tony as saying he only had such and such total storage capacity, when he actually said he had that much remaining. You were right and I was wrong.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:59 am

well i just watched this on utube and its very well done indeed!, only problem is i just don't care for Celine's country tone of voice!! :roll:

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:43 am

Technically this is well done, "If I Can Dream" is also a great choice.
And .... now I remember why I allowed my ex-wife to keep the Celine Dion CDs. :smt078

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:55 am

35 milion people saw this, did i hear right? Holy heck. Just imagine what that does for Elvis's reputation. That duet, the song choice probably could not have been better. Celine just had to smile and think it was all a big happy affair, but then you see Elvis getting totally lost in the song. The caricature of Elvis will probably now be forgotten now by those 35 million people. They saw him as a serious artist in one of his greatest performances caught on video and audio. Just brilliant and fitting to the King 30 years after his passing! Lets hope after this that 35 million Americans, if they were'nt allready, became Elvis fans 8)

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:30 pm

Hello,

I hope you are rignt but I doubt it coming from Celine Dion's fans as there are most of them fanatical and narrow-minded. I have posted on their forum cause they were boasting about how great Celine was how beautiful she is, and how she could have outshined Elvis so easily and blah blah blah...

I tried to tell them that as great as Celine may appear to theirs she was not in the same league as few others like the Bealtes and Elvis who did change the world and made possible the music then listen today.
Telling them that Celine may have changed their lives and this is one big achievement but this is where it ended.

Some responded saying Elvis didn't change the world and that he was on par with Celine.....

How would you convince those people....

:roll: