All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:35 pm

Yeah, im with you on that.

I wouldnt want this released as a single.

If they are gonna release it then it should just Elvis.

Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:36 pm

Bodie wrote:Yeah, im with you on that.

I wouldnt want this released as a single.

If they are gonna release it then it should just Elvis.

Well Said....and then give the Money raised to the Charity.

on forth or fifth listen...

Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:42 pm

I still think Celine did a pretty good job, although she did country-fy the song a bit with her twang. Her performance was quite restrained, (even respectful,) but let's face it, IICD meant everything to Elvis at the time. It would have been difficult for anyone to match that level of passion.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:00 am

Celine Dion is a fantastic singer regardless of what anyone thinks, she's proven that countless times. She has distinctive quality in her voice, you either like it or don't i guess. That's not the point though.

I have mixed emotions about this performance. I personally might have chosen a different song. But i'll wait till the dust settles to make my final judgement.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:24 am

midnightx wrote:
KHoots wrote:The technology was stunning, and gave me chills. The camera work was outstanding, too, to show you just enough of the guy to make it seem like Elvis was standing right there. The cool thing is that millions of people were exposed to a song they probably hadn't heard before, and an Elvis performance they had never seen, either. Wow, what a killer happening that was. Makes you wonder what's possible with the technology available these days....

KHoots, now just imagine if they used this technology for Elvis The Concert??? :wink:

Fantastic and really touching. I hope that this is similiar to what we could expect in August. I'am in Memphis for the show and I really hope for a duet with..let's see...a rocking duet with Bruce Springsteen singing Trouble/Guitar Man from 68 or a touching duet with Beyoncè singing American Trilogy :)

Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:01 am

Elvis done so few duets in his lifetime, perhaps with good reason, unless harmonizing in gospel numbers, his voice is just so unique and powerful it just doesnt seem right having anyone share equal billing.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:12 am

The question to my mind is this.....why have a duet with Elvis.

Why not let Elvis just sing the whole song as part of the inspirational benifit show?

I am saying they could have either showed the original video or they could have plucked Elvis from the special, put him on the idol stage to make it seem like he was there, as they did, but without MS. dion. It would have worked.

The illusion was there until they cut away for a side or rear angle and you could plainly see there was an impersonator there. But those opening seconds were really quite erie.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:54 am

ekenee wrote:The question to my mind is this.....why have a duet with Elvis.

I think there are a few reasons really, "One", was to help the illusion along there had to be someone else on stage next to him, "Two", whether we like Celine Dion or not she is a big star in her own right, so inreturn people end up being more curious and end up tunning in for that reason alone...."Third" One has to understand if it would have only been Elvis on the screen there still has to be an impersonator on stage and inreturn the people watching this are still only seeing a impersonator not Elvis like the people are seeing on TV, thus another reason to have another person beside him, meaning there had to be some kind of entertainer of having Superstar status on stage with an impersonator to help make an impact and create a little bit of an illusion for the live audience as well...."forth reason" The media ate this up, "Fifth reason", " you tube" and any other web site message board out there is giving this such exposure one couldn't ask for better coverage....

All in all this was all good, whether we like Celine Dion or not, Elvis' image was not hurt at all, infact once again it proved in front of millions of people why Elvis was so great and still is....!

Why not let Elvis just sing the whole song as part of the inspirational benifit show? ]In this particular case for publicity sake this was the way to go....

I am saying they could have either showed the original video or they could have plucked Elvis from the special, put him on the idol stage to make it seem like he was there, as they did, but without MS. dion. It would have worked.
Yes, it would have could have, but again maybe it would not have recieved the same impact for all concern.....
The illusion was there until they cut away for a side or rear angle and you could plainly see there was an impersonator there. But those opening seconds were really quite erie.
Still it worked nonetheless, Celine grates on me a bit, but one day technology will catch up and things will change where an impersonator nor another star will be needed on stage and there will be a real hologram of Elvis performing on stage as well, who knows maybe even in our life time....StarTrek Holodeck here we come.... :smt032 :smt023

PEP 8)

Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:02 am

PEP wrote:....one day technology will catch up and things will change where an impersonator will not be needed and there will be a real hologram of Elvis performing on stage as well, who knows maybe even in our life time....StarTrek Holodeck here we come....

In the pre-broadcast discussions, it was clear that some people think that such 3D holograms are with us now !

Thanks, PEP, for the timely reminder that they are a thing of the future !

On a related note, we heard a few sort of 'fill in' phrases from Elvis with slightly different timing from what we are familiar with.

Were these edited & 'worked on' from other parts of the song, or did they cheat & use a soundalike ?

Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:32 am

ColinB wrote: On a related note, we heard a few sort of 'fill in' phrases from Elvis with slightly different timing from what we are familiar with.

Were these edited & 'worked on' from other parts of the song, or did they cheat & use a soundalike ?

I don't think it was a soundalike but i didn't listen that carefully!!!

8)

Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:32 am

ColinB wrote:
PEP wrote:....one day technology will catch up and things will change where an impersonator will not be needed and there will be a real hologram of Elvis performing on stage as well, who knows maybe even in our life time....StarTrek Holodeck here we come....

In the pre-broadcast discussions, it was clear that some people think that such 3D holograms are with us now !

Thanks, PEP, for the timely reminder that they are a thing of the future !

On a related note, we heard a few sort of 'fill in' phrases from Elvis with slightly different timing from what we are familiar with.

Sounds to me like they used a soundalike because the one part seemed slower then when EP sang it.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:34 am

sam wrote:
ColinB wrote: On a related note, we heard a few sort of 'fill in' phrases from Elvis with slightly different timing from what we are familiar with.

I don't think it was a soundalike but i didn't listen that carefully!!!

No, it sure sounded like Elvis' voice; my money is on some technical wizardry being used to alter the timing on a few words & phrases.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:01 am

There is one part in the song where it appears Ryan Pelton' voice is used.

This is the part where he sings the verse "Trembling Question"
right after Celine does it first.

This is about 2:09 into the song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJnsPerfwxQ
Other than that I think its just Elvis' voice before an after
this verse.....

Or did any of you notice anything else?

PEP 8)

Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:13 am

there's awfully fake audience applause (oh, and Celine Dion); in short, Elvis is overwhelmed by tacky and unnecessary embellishments.[/quote]

I don't think the applause was fake. If you watched it on TV the audience was standing and cheering the whole time.

I think the bottom line is that this was great for Elvis. In essence you had an audience of 50 million watch a great Elvis performance. Without Celine Dion it would not have happened. There is no other way you could expose this many people to Elvis in such a positive way.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:16 am

At no point was the voice of Ryan Pelton or any soundalike heard on this track. The pieces that sound different are the result of digital manipulation of Elvis's vocals to make it fit the format of a duet. The two spots that are noticeable is where Elvis says "all the doubt" and the "trembling question" part, but both are the voice of Elvis, they just edited his phrasing a little.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:29 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:At no point was the voice of Ryan Pelton or any soundalike heard on this track. The pieces that sound different are the result of digital manipulation of Elvis's vocals to make it fit the format of a duet. The two spots that are noticeable is where Elvis says "all the doubt" and the "trembling question" part, but both are the voice of Elvis, they just edited his phrasing a little.

Sorry, KingOfTheJungle I disagree....until proven other wise at this point I believe that is Not Elvis' voice for those two sung words.....

Any other gut feelings from anyone else?

By the way if I'm not mistake when Lisa Marie was matched up with her father for the song "Don't Cry Daddy" I believe there was a rumour which proved to be true that Ronnie McDowell had a small verse in that song as well.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm9z042InyU
PEP 8)

Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:50 am

Pep wrote: Still it worked nonetheless, Celine grates on me a bit, but one day technology will catch up and things will change where an impersonator nor another star will be needed on stage and there will be a real hologram of Elvis performing on stage as well, who knows maybe even in our life

Yes, but maybe if were lucky a time machine will be invented first and we can pay $1000 to go back in time and see Elvis at Overton park in the summer of 1954, and film it on a tiny camera.

A quick note: This all happened because of the enourmous popularity of American Idol, not because of Celine Dion who is in a slump right now anyway.

Colin, I hear 2 short spots of impersonator voice. But I also hear a different Elvis phrasing as well. I didn't check but as you know ELvis did 3 complete takes of this. Perhaps they used a line or two from take 1 or 3. Take 4 is the master performance. For someone with more time, this could be checked against the dvd's of this song.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:06 am

carolynlm wrote:Is there an extra 'let it come true right now' tacked on the end?

yup

Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:36 am

PEP wrote: Sorry, KingOfTheJungle I disagree....until proven other wise at this point I believe that is Not Elvis' voice for those two sung words.....

I really don't even see how you can say this, all they did here is change the timing, Pelton doesn't sound ANYTHING like that as evidenced here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FllouwsDLQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fryanpelton%2Ecom%2Fmedia%2Ehtml

PEP wrote:By the way if I'm not mistake when Lisa Marie was matched up with her father for the song "Don't Cry Daddy" I believe there was a rumour which proved to be true that Ronnie McDowell had a small verse in that song as well.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm9z042InyU
PEP 8)

Also not true, fans were simply not used to hearing Elvis's harmony vocal (that was used extensively in the piece) by itself, which is what sounds different about it, McDowell can't even come CLOSE to duplicating the timbre of Elvis's voice during the 1969 American sessions.

I am going to take the original track and try to piece it together the way they did for the 'trembling question' part to show you what Im talking about here.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:36 am

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dHyTwNo_O5c

here's the 'how'd they do that' newscast.

we knew how they did it already, but it's fun, nevertheless.

btw, i think youtube has a lot of people who don't exactly think linear. yikes. people have said everything from holograms to the whole thing being an impersonator (or with elvis' head on an impersonator). :shock: there's a lot of not-to-swift people out there, considering you can see the original video with a quick youtube search.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:08 am

[quote="VOC"]Celine Dion is a fantastic singer regardless of what anyone thinks, she's proven that countless times. She has distinctive quality in her voice, you either like it or don't i guess. That's not the point though.

I have mixed emotions about this performance. I personally might have chosen a different song. But i'll wait till the dust settles to make my final judgement.[/quote]

here here well said.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:09 am

Here you go PEP, once I extracted the audio from the Celine Elvis duet, this took me like 30 seconds to slap together.

I apologize if the editing seems crude, but I don't have access to Elvis's isolated vocal track.

Here is what's on my sound sample:

1) the Elvis/ Celine duet piece featuring "trembling question" in context
2) my edited version from the original 68 track to approximate the time shift they did on EP's phrasing.
3) Just the trembling question line from the duet
4) 2 repeated

This is very obviously the same piece of the song they used, and obviously Elvis's voice, and not that of an impersonator...see for yourself.

http://download.yousendit.com/4C5369B46E3A8773

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:09 pm

Elvis' Babe wrote:http://youtube.com/watch?v=dHyTwNo_O5c

Thanks Elvis'babe for the link.....interesting how they explained it, I didn't doubt this took time to do, as it would have been chroregraphed to a tea so to speak....but it was still Green key, Chroma Key technology with some extra special effects, now being called something else....

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Here you go PEP, once I extracted the audio from the Celine Elvis duet, this took me like 30 seconds to slap together.

I apologize if the editing seems crude, but I don't have access to Elvis's isolated vocal track.

Here is what's on my sound sample:

1) the Elvis/ Celine duet piece featuring "trembling question" in context
2) my edited version from the original 68 track to approximate the time shift they did on EP's phrasing.
3) Just the trembling question line from the duet
4) 2 repeated

This is very obviously the same piece of the song they used, and obviously Elvis's voice, and not that of an impersonator...see for yourself.

http://download.yousendit.com/4C5369B46E3A8773

KingOfTheJungle I hear your point, I certainly did have my doubts, but you have convinced me...good job :smt023

PEP 8)

Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:28 pm

midnightx wrote:KHoots, now just imagine if they used this technology for Elvis The Concert??? :wink:

Nah, I stopped liking that.

midnightx wrote:The cool thing about it was that one of Elvis' greatest vocal triumphs was shown to millions. From an objective standpoint, he really did upstage Celine (not that it should be surprising, but it is a reminder of how superior he is to most vocalists) with his power, passion and soul. There were probably many generations of music fans that had never experienced the true power of and seduction of Elvis.

Agreed, midnightx. Celine Dion knew her place with that song--directly behind Elvis.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:03 pm

Elvis' Babe wrote:http://youtube.com/watch?v=dHyTwNo_O5c

Cool!

The funny thing is: Elvis is *the* American Idol, but he's nothing like *an* American Idol. It's a blazing contradiction, yet probing just inches below the surface reveals why. The "American Idol" show is all falsity and nonsense, whereas Elvis was real in every respect. That in itself makes the idea of a duet incongruous, to say nothing of being digitally inserted next to a fake singer (Dion) on a fake programme.

Of course, "If I Can Dream" is not without its artifice. Silly Broadway-esque show tune backing track, anyone? But paradoxically, that's what also makes it great: because Elvis' exceptionally real performance contrasts with it; he takes a dud and makes it a dream. It's like matter and antimatter colliding. But the "American Idol" concept unbalances that perfect equation. It's goosed up advertising, nothing more.

I don't want to hear about charity as a defence, either. They make MILLIONS off American Idol, so just shut it. If anybody actually knows how much Simon Cowell makes, not just from the programme itself, but even from a single person or band he's signed (and he's signed quite a few in his life), they'd never use that defence. It's truly appalling. Let us not forget that Elvis gave performances for charity, including Aloha, which some people put down left and right. The Colonel was more of a man than Simon Cowell, and even at his worst, he cooked up things "his boy" made interesting, but Cowell delights in lavishing tripe on people again and again -- and he isn't shy of dropping an artist he's signed if just one single fails, whereas The Colonel was loyal to Elvis for life. Screw "American Idol".