All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Celine Dion to sing duet with Elvis

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:13 am

Not sure if this is old news but Celine Dion is going to sing a duet with Elvis on the American Idol tv show. The song is If I can Dream.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:18 am

Yep it is! :wink:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28866&sid=e3e043630446508c417ab56c31373b19

but thanks anyway

yuk

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:19 am

Why would anyone want a soul-ess, anodyne "entertainer" from the 1990's to sing along with Elvis on a cheap TV show??!!

Re: yuk

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:57 am

TONY wrote:Why would anyone want a soul-ess, anodyne "entertainer" from the 1990's to sing along with Elvis on a cheap TV show??!!

Have you counted the millions of people the world over who will see/hear Elvis performing If I Can Dream?

If Celine is terrible, it will just make Elvis sound even better :D

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:56 am

30 million people will be watching, so.....

It's coming on right now, 8pm ET, on Fox for anyone who wants to see how they're going to do it.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:48 am

We're getting down to that time, folks.

This better be good.... :shock: :roll: :D :o

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:12 am

yes, a whole 2-hour american idol special while i've been waiting 3 weeks for the next episode of bones (and a week more to go), which keeps getting moved out by the several ton elephant--which probably has more people watching for the acts that can't sing than the ones (if any) who can.

millions seeing elvis presley = good
american idol pushing out bones = annoying
having to listen to an emotionless opera singer do up and down chord kareoke to a video of a great entertainer = likely to be grating

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:34 am

I'm watching this right now..
F++KIN AWESOME
EP looked cool..technology rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

A+++++++++
All the way

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:36 am

He's back!

Well done, huh? :lol:

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:38 am

I'm sure THAT performance will quiet a few of the naysayers. That was flippin' awesome...

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:38 am

JonRomanovich wrote:I'm watching this right now..
F++KIN AWESOME
EP looked cool..technology rocks!!!!!!!!!!!

A+++++++++
All the way

I still get chills from that performance! I thought Celine did a very good job as well, but the power of EP almost 40 years later, my God!

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:40 am

Elvis definitely "controlled" the performance...

our boy got a standing ovation on a kiddie show, 30 years after his death!

They introduced him as the original idol..finally a good spot on TV!!

Speaking of chills..i got em big time..it was haunting

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:40 am

My first reaction is that it was quite cool. Not enough shown of Elvis (of course, lol) and I think his voice was drowned out a bit, but...

HOLY CRAP, the technology was freaking amazing. It really looked like he was standing right there.

Glad you couldn't really tell it was an impersonator standing next to her, unless you're an Elvis fan.

Nicely done, technology wise, but the power of the lyrics was taken away by making it a duet, IMO.

Celine did a nice job.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:44 am

It'll be interesting to see how many people will download this from iTunes. I just wish the original video was available there too.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:48 am

It'll be on "Youtube," I would hope.

Yes, we hear less of Elvis (she gets some of the lines to herself) but overall, it was a real "pro-Elvis" moment.

You're right that it's pretty freaky. I know that this remains one of the most popular shows on American television, in an era when the market is very disected and people don't sit down for shows together anymore or watch it later on-line or on DVD's. It's a treat that the older folks who watch this along with teens (and younger) got to see the King in his prime.

Yes, a bit drowned out but I'll take it, as long as they don't overdo this... :lol:

Hat's off to Mr. Sillerman on this move. He had hinted at this a long time ago and here it has come to fruition.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:49 am

JonRomanovich wrote:Elvis definitely "controlled" the performance...

our boy got a standing ovation on a kiddie show, 30 years after his death!

They introduced him as the original idol..finally a good spot on TV!!

Speaking of chills..i got em big time..it was haunting

Actually I think Ryan Seacreat introduced him as the man who will always be America's number one idol which is even better than original. :D Thought it was awesome!!

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:53 am

now that I have carried my laptop down to the restaurant in this hotel, can someone please tell me who got voted off?

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:57 am

JonRomanovich wrote:now that I have carried my laptop down to the restaurant in this hotel, can someone please tell me who got voted off?

No one. They're going to total the votes for this week and next week and the bottom two will be voted off next week.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:59 am

Thanks!

i would love to hear Simon comment on Elvis..any era.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:08 am

When the dust settles, does the Elvis legacy really gain anything from this?

Discuss. :lol:

Seriously, there is a point, despite my initial enthusiam, where I wonder if this isn't putting the proverbial "moustache on Mona Lisa"....

Perhaps if modern music (Hip Hop, for one) wasn't so seemingly disconnected from Elvis and other "oldies" acts , then this would all be unnecessary. So as a quick way to introduce Elvis to younger fans, they really did do just that.

Re: yuk

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:13 am

TONY wrote:Why would anyone want a soul-ess, anodyne "entertainer" from the 1990's to sing along with Elvis on a cheap TV show??!!

I hear you, Tony, But give it a try. It's technically well-done and more eyeballs got a pro-Elvis impression than has happened in years...

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:16 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:When the dust settles, does the Elvis legacy really gain anything from this?

Discuss. :lol:

Seriously, there is a point, despite my initial enthusiam, where I wonder if this isn't putting the proverbial "moustache on Mona Lisa"....

Perhaps if modern music (Hip Hop, for one) wasn't so seemingly disconnected from Elvis and other "oldies" acts , then this would all be unnecessary. So as a quick way to introduce Elvis to younger fans, they really did do just that.

Given the theme of the show, it will benefit Elvis a lot. Say what you will, that was riveting tv, especially when Dion would look over towards him, (you know what I mean). The performance, what can you say, it's Elvis given everything he had into a song that was infrickincredible!

Celine Dion to sing duet with Elvis

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:24 am

I seriously hope that no one posts this on "Youtube" for a while. I feel the real good (I hope)will be done by the paid downloads of this clip on Itunes. If the money is going for a good cause go out and support Elvis by paying for the download. I am pretty sure that it will turn up on youtube and many "import" DVD releases in the future.
I think that this is a good opportunity for Elvis' image to do real good for the people that this special was aimed at helping, and that, much more than how the King came off looking for his own image, is a much more positive and lasting legacy to his greatness. I believe Elvis would like it that way.

In the spirit of Elvis go download it on Itunes,

I also think that if they could release this on a CD single, it could be a smash hit, ala ALLC, that would also generate many $.

Just my thoughts

Greybeard

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:29 am

Having seen Elvis burned so many times in the past, it was heartwarming to see him come alive in 2007, in such a first class way.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:51 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:It'll be interesting to see how many people will download this from iTunes. I just wish the original video was available there too.

Is it on there? I can't find it.