All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Re: Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft

Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:33 pm

[quote="GERRY"]Just found out Ron Tutt is the drummer on this.

quote]

It also sounds like Ronnie's style on "I nned to be in love" and "where do i go from here". I wonder why Karen didnt play drums more on recordings? In clips I've seen, I was quite impressed with her drumwork. I believe Ronnie also plays drums on the Andy Williams' recordings "Thank you baby" and "My lonely room", similar style of easy listening material. Incidentally, The Carpenters are responsible for inventing the "power ballad" with "Goodbye to love", ie a big sound incorporating blistering rock guitar solo(s), much used by groups such as Foriegner, Boston, Styx etc in later years.

Re: Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:09 am

TONY wrote:Incidentally, The Carpenters are responsible for inventing the "power ballad" with "Goodbye to love", ie a big sound incorporating blistering rock guitar solo(s), much used by groups such as Foriegner, Boston, Styx etc in later years.

Really? I don't think so.

WHY NOT

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:14 am

Why not, "Doctor"?! What songs were there in this style before 1972 then?

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:25 am

Facts are a b*tch

Dicks idea to include the Fuzz Rock guitar solo in a ballad had not been done before-at that time you just didn't do it-now of course it's common.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:41 am

God, I LOVE this MB.

TONY and GERRY -- are you related?

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:51 am

The Carpenters are in one word MUZAK!!!!!Not bad to hum along when buying groceries, in the elevators of the world, and just before the friggin movie starts! My little ole' opinion of course.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:08 am

ColinB wrote:
Daryl wrote:......I can assure you that all Kevan Budd is working with is Pro-Tools in his home, not a real recording studio, by any stretch of the imagination.

If that's the case, then his excellent results are even more praise-worthy !

More power to his elbow !
The WORK by KB is excellent. Even if it was done in a submarine out in the Pacific with mines exploding everywhere....but at home if it sounds good..then its good.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:15 am

It's insulting to say that Kevan's work is better than George Marino/Ted Jensen's mastering work on 30 #1 Hits.

It's worth remembering that many of us truly disliked the "modern" techniques used on the 30 #1 Hits disc long before we even knew that Kevan was interested in audio restoration, etc.

The fact that Kevan came along later and proved the case for historically sensitive audio work is why we love him, not because we have some inexplicable, random attachment to him.

The sales and publicity of 30 #1 Hits were great, the sound not so much so. Unlike you, I'm not trying to put anybody down. 30 #1 Hits definitely has its place, and if people like it, cool.

But what about those of us who want to hear Elvis' music as it was originally recorded and reproduced as beautifully as possible? The sound was good enough for several decades, but I guess now because compression, loudness and a hundred other bad habits are popular at this rather ugly moment in music history, we're supposed to remake the entire catalog. The fact is much of Elvis' material still has not been properly restored -- and, sadly, may never be.

Just because you think people ought to be monkeying around with Elvis' masters as fashion -- and purely personal whim -- moves them doesn't mean the rest of us have to gyrate along with you -- no matter how large the type you use in your rather nasty messages.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:56 am

Herb Alpert is on record stating that Richard was the driving force behind the Carpenters,not only that he also praises Richard as a producer/arranger/musician etc etc

So no matter what the few who state the gospel according to them will have you believe i suggest that the guy who discovered and signed the Carpenters knows more!

And i once listened to From Elvis in Memephis on a 30,000 pound hi-fi and it was a religious experience,the bass was so deep that it shook my stomache etc i whent home and listened to it again on my home hi-fi,it was nothing remotely like what i had heard earlier.

Elvis 30 number one hits this is even more apparent- i know for sure that it sounds awesome on top notch gear-better than any other Elvis release.

p.s i dont even dig the carpenters much but i just made this post because i feel that Richards production was musicaly sublime ,i feel Elvis could have benefitted from this too.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:11 am

Therein lies (part of) the problem: the idea that the measure of musical reproduction is whether the bass shakes your stomach. That may be an awesome effect for, say, Alice Cooper's "Eighteen" but a totally inappropriate standard for Beethoven's Moonlight sonata.

This fixation on certain bowel-rumbling, ear-ringing effects is really distracting and, frankly, damaging to music that was created in a different era with an entirely different aesthetic.

A lot of the bass boost that has been added on some previous Elvis' re-releases sure seems to be missed by the subwoofer-knob-twiddlers, which is a shame because they're losing out on a world of full-spectrum musicality that's awfully hard to find -- and something to be treasured -- these days.
Last edited by elvissessions on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:29 am

What a supremely odd thread ! :shock: :lol:

Thanks, gang, for a good laugh. And at the same time, very provocative and informative.

I'm no one's lapdog but ranking on Kevan Budd? Jeez! Sounds like a spurned competitor is having the last laugh at his expense...

I've snickered at the Carpenters for years, but in hindsight, as a young'un, her songs (well, their songs) were a major part of my growing up. She had a beautiful voice but there's something so sticky-sweet about the duo that I'm really pleased Elvis stayed away from her material!

Add in her sad death from an eating disorder and one just cannot hear her without picking up on some of that sadness from her early death.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:15 am

I agree with what you've just posted Gregory Nolan jr!

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:40 am

elvissessions: You excel yourself, once again. The 30 #1 Hits sound anemic, cold, heartless, bleak and sterile. But Elvis should sound -- and through Kevan Budd, does sound -- warm, inviting, vibrant, spirited, rich and full of life. THAT's Elvis. Nothing else will do.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:51 am

First, I like The Carpenters music. Always have. Always will.

Second, I agree wholeheartedly with Cryogenic.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:02 pm

I like Karren, but I prefer the original version of "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft".

:P

Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:50 pm

If you could-if it was possible to time travel and you could go back into one of Elvis recording sessions,say at American Sound-you would hear what a bass guitar sounds like-you would hear what Elvis heard live.

I was merely explaining that the bass guitar was deep (AS THEY ARE)

But in your world everything sounds flat and lifeless and sterile-whats more you are happy that it does.

Dont fret though as Ernst is still around everything is mixed so the rythm section sounds flat and lifeless and weak on these same recordings the drumkit sounds like it's down the fckn corridoor.

Yeah baby Ernst the man who can make a 1970 Tutt drum opening sound crap ,rendering it flat-whatsmore he hasnt even got the skill or insight to even realise to start the live show with the full buildup.

Ernst should get his crew to mix prefab sprout and keep himself and his pals including the notorious doughnut craving wall of crap the h3ll off the elvis catalogue.Sure Ferrante is no longer touching the tapes but his fat digits managed to fckup and slobber over all the 69 shows before he had his fill.

Ernst single handedly turned a generation off the Elvis catalogue with his crew they worked their way through this material presenting it in a flat lifeless sound that people in the record shops laughed at.

The damage has been done JXL salvaged a little but the position has dropped back again to pre-ALLC and (as far as the 16-25 record buyers)Elvis is irrelevant again.
Last edited by GERRY on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:51 pm

Well, GERRY ....

I didn't mean to dismiss what you said.

That's interesting.

The drumming is so great on so many EP cuts ...... yet often sounds like @$$.

Now ...... if you listen to Jungle Room Sessions ......... THAT is the business! Granted, it was the last set of professional non-live recordings that Elvis made, and the JRS have the overdubs removed, so they're going to sound better for those reasons ....... but LISTEN -- FEEL -- those drums. Such LIFE. Why can't more of his recordings sound like that?

The drumming and basslines are soooo flat on other EP recordings by comparison. But these same things really energised Elvis as he sang. It's ironic that they're now neglected. But, treated right, they would bring those records to life all over again, making them sound like they were recorded yesterday. They would give the songs PRESENCE. ATTITUDE. DOMINANCE. VIGOUR. And your Memphis '69 gripe is a good example: Those songs have some PHAT basslines. Or rather ..... they do IF they are brought out right. I hope his catalogue is treated with increasing vigilance and care as time goes by.

Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:41 pm

sam wrote:I like Karren, but I prefer the original version of "Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft".

OK, I'll fall for it.

Whose version was that then ?

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:45 pm

I SUSPECT THAT THIS WARM SOUND THAT YOU SO CRAVE IS IN REALITY THE BARAGE OF TOOLS THAT THEY USE TO REMOVE EVERY LAST MOLECULE OF HISS FROM THE TAPES-OF COURSE IN THEM DOING THIS IT'S LIKE LISTENING THROUGH A SHEET OF CARDBOARD OR WITH COTTON WOOL IN OR WAX IN ONES EARS!

TOP END HI FI THAT CAN EXTRACT EVERY LAST BIT OF DETAIL FROM THESE RECORDINGS WITH ZERO DISTORTION -WHY BOTHER? MOST OF IT IS ALLREADY LOST AT THE HANDS OF THE SKILLESS ONE.EVEN A FREAKIN (UNTOUCHED BY THE SKILLESS ONE) BOOTLEGG EXHIBITS MORE DETAIL THAN 98% OF ERNST RELEASES.

FOR INSTANCE TWII SE VS BRIGHTEST STAR ON SUNSET BOULEVARD:- CASE IN POINT THE REHEARSAL...JUST ONE EXAMPLE ON THE BOOTLEGG TUTTS CYMBOLS RESONATE AND FIZZ LIKE IN REAL LIFE BUT ON ERNST SHITE THE CYMBOLS AND EVERYTHING ELSE IS KILLED FCKN DEAD RENDERED FLAT AND LIFELESS.

NOT TO MENTION ALL THE OTHER DAMAGE THAT HE HAS OVERSEEN NAMELY THE SONIC IMAGE BEING THINNED OUT WITH INSTRUMENT PLACEMENT NARROWED AND OVERLAPPING-YES MY FRIENDS IT'S A FREAKIN CAR WRECK WHEN YOU LET THIS PERSON LOOSE WITH THE TAPES-NO WONDER ERNST WAS KEPT AWAY FROM 30 NUMBER ONES................................

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:49 pm

The 'caps lock' key is on the left of the keyboard, Gerry......

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:26 pm

ColinB wrote:The 'caps lock' key is on the left of the keyboard, Gerry......

I PRESSED IT AND IT'S NO GOOD, COLIN. YOU'VE TAKEN US FOR FOOLS!

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:12 pm

Cryogenic wrote:

Err......... I was addressing Gerry........

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:20 pm

ColinB wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:

are you sure?

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:50 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:

are you sure?

Not any more......

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:16 am

Gerry.

As you are such an expert in sound...would you care to use Pro Tools or whatever and produce an Elvis track (any track) that meets your criteria.

To be fair a track that Kevin or Sebastion have tinkered with would be ideal. Mono, if it is easier.

We would all be very grateful to hear your effort.