Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

rickeap wrote:Personally I'm happy Elvis never had anything to do with The Carpenters' music
Bland
Rick
Elvis cut "Solitare" in February 1976. "Bless The Beasts And The Children" would've been a better choice.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

Just so we're all clear, it's much more difficult to properly mix an 8, 16 or a 24 track recording than it is to tinker with a mono recording. Why else hasn't K.B. tackled a multi-track recording?
er, isn't the FTD His Hand In Mine multitrack, done with excellent results by one certain KB?

As for the Carpenters, I can't say I was ever a huge fan, but they at least had a distictive sound. How much of that sound was down to Karen though, I wouldn't like to say.

Daryl
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by Daryl »

Hello,

The "His Hand In Mine" FTD was done by Sebastian Jeansson, not Kevan Budd. Also those 1960-68 recordings were done on 3 track. In '69, 8 track was used. From '70 to '75, 16 track was used and in '76 and some of the '77 material (Elvis In Concert) 24 track was used.

Daryl

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

Fair enough - how about Let Yourself Go. Isn't that multitrack done by Kevan?

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Hello,

No, again Kevan Budd didn't do the multi-track recordings. He only did the mono dressing room rehearsal tape recording from June 24, 1968. He did not have anything to do with the multitrack studio recordings made at Western between June 20-24, 1968 found on the FTD "Let Yourself Go."

Daryl

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Hello,

Thank you for making it clear that mastering mono recordings, mainly from the 50s, bears no comparison to the production process with 70s era multitrack recordings and that to compare the mastering talents of Kevan Budd in such a way is superfluous.

Matthew.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Daryl wrote:Hello,

No, again Kevan Budd didn't do the multi-track recordings. He only did the mono dressing room rehearsal tape recording from June 24, 1968. He did not have anything to do with the multitrack studio recordings made at Western between June 20-24, 1968 found on the FTD "Let Yourself Go."

Daryl
Hello,

Yes, again Kevan Budd did do the multi-track recordings. He also did the mono dressing room rehearsal tape recording from June 24, 1968. He did handle all of the multitrack studio recordings made at Western between June 20-24, 1968 found on the FTD "Let Yourself Go."

DJC

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Again Doc, you're wrong. I understand that the FTD only credits Kevan Budd for the mastering but look at his track record. The credits on Let Yourself Go are not competely correct.

Elvis At Sun (mono)
Elvis Presley, Elvis, Loving You (mono with some 2 track binaural on Loving You, which is not hard to do because Elvis is in one channel and eveything else is in the other)
Million Dollar Quartet (mono)
50 Million Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong (mono)
Let Yourself Go (multi-track done most likely in house by Lene Reidel (uncredited)/mono dressing room rehearsal (Kevan Budd)

His Hand In Mine, Elvis Is Back and Something For Everybody were done by Sebastian.

Case closed.

Daryl
Last edited by Daryl on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Daryl wrote:
Case closed.

Daryl
Hello,

What case? That Kevan has mainly mastered mono recordings so far for his work on the Elvis Presley catalogue? How does this vaguely tie in with the production work done during the 70s on Carpenters recordings?

Matthew

sam

Post by sam »

Daryl wrote: Let Yourself Go (multi-track done most likely in house by Lene Reidel (uncredited)/mono dressing room rehearsal (Kevan Budd)

Daryl
It appears you don't know!!!??? :?

8)

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Daryl wrote:look at his track record.
Indeed, blemish free. Elvis' 50s masters have never sounded better.

"Don't" you say? :lol:

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Helllo,

Sam, if Kevan Budd could do 3 track recordings, wouldn't he be doing His Hand In Mine, Something For Everybody and Elvis Is Back, which are 3 track recordings as well. Again the FTD "Let Yourself Go" only credits Kevan but this is an error. Lene Reidel or Sebastian did the multi-tracks on "Let Yourself Go" and Kevan only did the mono dressing room recording, despite what Doc says.

Daryl

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Daryl wrote:Helllo,

Sam, if Kevan Budd could do 3 track recordings, wouldn't he be doing His Hand In Mine, Something For Everybody and Elvis Is Back, which are 3 track recordings as well. Again the FTD "Let Yourself Go" only credits Kevan but this is an error. Lene Reidel or Sebastian did the multi-tracks on "Let Yourself Go" and Kevan only did the mono dressing room recording, despite what Doc says.

Daryl
Hello,

What is your point? You originally compared the production work of The Carpenters to Kevan's mastering of "Mystery Train". Hello, why don't you answer the question?

Matthew

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Daryl wrote:Helllo,

Sam, if Kevan Budd could do 3 track recordings, wouldn't he be doing His Hand In Mine, Something For Everybody and Elvis Is Back, which are 3 track recordings as well.
Time. More hands spread the work. Kevan is quite capable of mastering stereo recordings - he has done. Case closed.
Daryl wrote:Again the FTD "Let Yourself Go" only credits Kevan but this is an error. Lene Reidel or Sebastian did the multi-tracks on "Let Yourself Go" and Kevan only did the mono dressing room recording, despite what Doc says.
You don't know this so quit making things up.

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Hello,

What question is that, Matthew? I believe I already said that it is much more difficult to work with 8, 16 or 24 tracks than it is to do mono or for that matter 3 track recordings.

Daryl

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Hello,

Matthew, where else has Kevan done stereo recordings excluding the binaural Loving You material and what you believe he did, the '68 recordings. Show me one release that is made up entirely of 3 track or greater recordings that he did, and I'll believe you. Otherwise...

Case closed.

Daryl

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Daryl wrote:Hello,

What question is that, Matthew? I believe I already said that it is much more difficult to work with 8, 16 or 24 tracks than it is to do mono or for that matter 3 track recordings.

Daryl
Actually this is contentious, but what is the point of this statement? You can't compare one man's work on vintage mono recordings - that often require restoration work, to another man's production techniques in the studio during the 70s. It makes no sense.

Matthew

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Daryl wrote:Matthew, where else has Kevan done stereo recordings excluding the binaural Loving You material and what you believe he did, the '68 recordings.
"Love Me Tender"

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Again, a binaural recording. (One that I forgot about)

Try again. That one song doesn't constitute an entire CD, now does it.

Daryl

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Daryl wrote:Again, a binaural recording. (One that I forgot about)

Try again. That one song doesn't constitute an entire CD, now does it.

Daryl
Who cares, its inconsequential to the point of your original post earlier in this thread where you attempt to debunk Kevan Budd's abilities by comparing his mastering work to Richard Carpenter's record making skills. It is ignorant to attempt to draw a comparison in this way as these skills are very different from one another.

:smt021

"Hello?! Think McFly, think!"

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Actually this is contentious, but what is the point of this statement? You can't compare one man's work on vintage mono recordings - that often require restoration work, to another man's production techniques in the studio during the 70s. It makes no sense.
Yes, you can compare one man's work on vintage mono recordings to working with 8, 16 or 24 track recordings. A real engineer would be able to work with vintage mono recordings as well as multi-tracks. Kevan Budd isn't a real engineer (because he can't do multi-tracks), note my comment about FTD having amateur hour.

Daryl

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Daryl wrote:
Yes, you can compare one man's work on vintage mono recordings to working with 8, 16 or 24 track recordings. A real engineer would be able to work with vintage mono recordings as well as multi-tracks. Kevan Budd isn't a real engineer (because he can't do multi-tracks), note my comment about FTD having amateur hour.

Daryl
No you can't. That is why we have mastering engineers and mixing engineers in this world. Your statement is both rude and uninformed.

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

And many times that person is one in the same (both the mixing engineer as well as the mastering engineer.)
I can assure you that all Kevan Budd is working with is Pro-Tools in his home, not a real recording studio, by any stretch of the imagination.

Daryl

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Daryl wrote:And many times that person is one in the same (both the mixing engineer as well as the mastering engineer.)
I can assure you that all Kevan Budd is working with is Pro-Tools in his home, not a real recording studio, by any stretch of the imagination.

Daryl
I can assure you that you know nothing. More often than not the person or persons mixing a record is/are not the same person(s) mastering the record.

As to Kevan Budd's studio, as neither you or I know what he works with making a blanket statement (as you so often do) is rediculous. What is your motivation Daryl for continuously making these insufferable unsubstantiated remarks? What relevance does this have to work done in the studio during the 70s by The Carpenters?

Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Matthew,

Trust me, I know people who have been to his home. If you don't believe me, ask Kevan to clean up the KFC boxes all over the place. He'll know what that means.

Daryl