All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:23 am

Just found out Ron Tutt is the drummer on this,just got to wondering what a shame Elvis didnt get to work with Richard Carpenter-i feel he could have produced "that album".

What do you say?

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:26 am

Hello,

Richard Carpenter definitely had an ear for making great records.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:45 am

I get where you're coming from woodleyjohn. Am I right in assuming that you think that had Elvis had Richard Carpenter as a producer, Richard would have driven Elvis even closer towards MOR (middle of road)pop/easy listening.

Daryl

Re: Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:56 am

GERRY wrote:What do you say?

Richard Carpenter, if he was producer of those Carpenters recordings, makes the 1970-77 overdubbings by Felton Jarvis sound like DIY punk. He takes "lush" to a whole new arena.

Karen Carpenter single-handedly redeemed every one of their hits with that moody, tender voice. Without her, brother Richard would be a piano teacher somewhere.

And he would've been a poor choice for those who feel Elvis should've been choosing a new direction in the mid-seventies. Heck, even Billy Sherrill might have been better.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:56 am

Tutt worked with Richard Carpenter during September 1977 as per usual absolute great drumming from the one of the best rock drummers,wonder why the Carpenters used Tutt instead of the usual cubby?

Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:23 am

Besides Tutt, let's not forget bassist Joe Osborne, who played on that magnificent 1964 Imperial LP 9264 (Mono)/LP 12264 (Stereo)"Johnny Rivers At The Whisky A Go-Go" that featured the #2 hit "Memphis".

Daryl

Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:56 am

Oh My gosh,i cant believe my eyes what i am reading!

Seems like some have not read up on The Carpenters!

Take away Richard and you have no Carpenters period,same if you take away George Martin then no Beatles.

Sure Karen's exquisite voice is what people remember but lets not forget about Richard's input.

Any person who is knowledgable regarding the Carpenters will put you straight on this.
Last edited by GERRY on Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:59 am

AMEN! BROTHER GERRY!!!

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:27 am

(They Long To Be) Close To You (#1 for 4 weeks)
We've Only Just Begun (#2 for 4 weeks)
For All We Know (#3)
Rainy Days And Mondays (#2 for 2 weeks)
Superstar (#2 for 2 weeks)
Hurting Each Other (#2 for 2 weeks)
Goodbye to Love (#7)
Sing (#3)
Yesterday Once More (#2 for 1 week)
Top Of The World (#1 for 2 weeks)
Please Mr. Postman (#1 for 1 week)
Only Yesterday (#4)

12 Top Ten Pop Hits, 15 #1 Adult Contemporary/Easy Listening hits.

Doc, I sense a condescending tone in your post. I would have loved to have heard Elvis sing the Tim Hardin song "Reason To Believe" recorded by the likes of Bobby Darin, Rod Stewart (featuring Ronnie Wood) as well as the Carpenters.

Daryl

Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:17 am

Daryl wrote:Besides Tutt, let's not forget bassist Joe Osborne, who played on that magnificent 1964 Imperial LP 9264 (Mono)/LP 12264 (Stereo)"Johnny Rivers At The Whisky A Go-Go" that featured the #2 hit "Memphis".

Daryl


Revisited.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:05 am

GERRY wrote:Oh My gosh,i cant believe my eyes what i am reading! Seems like some have not read up on The Carpenters!

So true! The subject falls a few rungs below "Dream Boogie - The Triumph Of Sam Cooke" by Peter Guralnick.

GERRY wrote:Take away Richard and you have no Carpenters period,same if you take away George Martin then no Beatles.

Nice try!

GERRY wrote:Sure Karen's exquisite voice is what people remember but lets not forget about Richard's input.

Strangely, everyone else has.

Wait! I do recall the story of Dick's brilliant re-do of "Ticket To Ride," with the note change on the last word of the gender-adjusted verse, "and he don't care." Richard made a point in a recent documentary to declare "I wrote that!"

Genius!

Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:13 am

...
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:14 am

Hello,

Dr. John Carpenter wrote:

Wait! I do recall the story of Dick's brilliant re-do of "Ticket To Ride," with the note change on the last word of the gender-adjusted verse, "and he don't care." Richard made a point in a recent documentary to declare "I wrote that!"

Genius!


Granted, Richard's ego may have gotten in the way when he said that, but that still doesn't take away from the production values of the Carpenter's records. They come across with a very clean sound, unlike some of the mastering efforts of a certain individual with the initials K.B. Somebody told me the other day that this K.B. made "Mystery Train" sound like a ballad. I thought this person was joking, but then I played K.B.'s "Mystery Train" and it sounded like "Don't." I wish FTD would get serious and stop playing amateur hour, using people with Pro Tools in their bedroom to do the sound on some of their releases.

Daryl
Last edited by Daryl on Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:26 am

Daryl wrote:Somebody told me the other day that this K.B. made "Mystery Train" sound like a ballad. I thought this person was joking, but then I played K.B.'s "Mystery Train" and it sounded like "Don't."

You're so silly!

Kobe Bryant has never worked on Elvis Presley recordings.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:28 am

I wasn't talking about Kobe Bryant, although he couldn't do any worse. You know who I'm referring to.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:33 am

Just so we're all clear, you're comparing a mono recording from 1955 with multitrack recordings recorded 20 years later? Just so we're all clear.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:37 am

Just so we're all clear, it's much more difficult to properly mix an 8, 16 or a 24 track recording than it is to tinker with a mono recording. Why else hasn't K.B. tackled a multi-track recording?

Just so we're all clear.

Daryl
Last edited by Daryl on Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:53 am

"The troll is stong with this one."

Re: Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft

Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
GERRY wrote:What do you say?

Richard Carpenter, if he was producer of those Carpenters recordings, makes the 1970-77 overdubbings by Felton Jarvis sound like DIY punk. He takes "lush" to a whole new arena.

Karen Carpenter single-handedly redeemed every one of their hits with that moody, tender voice. Without her, brother Richard would be a piano teacher somewhere.

And he would've been a poor choice for those who feel Elvis should've been choosing a new direction in the mid-seventies. Heck, even Billy Sherrill might have been better.


Are you being ironic, Doc?

Richard Carpenter is a master musician and produced and arranged those Carpenters records brilliantly. He found a style that worked in perfect synergy with Karen's stunning voice. One only need listen to her solo album for proof (it's good, but the absence of Richard is palpable, IMO). The Carpenters' problem was always an image one -- how to sell that sweet duo to the public? It turned out that their great music did it all for them.

Since you've previously trashed Neil Sedaka's "Solitaire" and Elvis for choosing it, and now you've made these extremely negative comments, may we all take it that you're not a fan of The Carpenters, but just Karen herself?

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:02 pm

hurting each other would have been a good song for elvis during the cilla divorce. i love karen's voice man she can outsing a lot of female singers that recorded then and now.
did ron tutt play on the passage/horizion lps sessions?

Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:45 pm

Ronnie tutt was the drummer on the Carenters album 'Passage' which this song comes from.It was originally released on september 23rd 1977.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Hello,

Dr. John Carpenter wrote:

So true! The subject falls a few rungs below "Dream Boogie - The Triumph Of Sam Cooke" by Peter Guralnick.


At least you never had to worry about the Carpenters getting shot at some cheap motel because they had hooked up with a prostitute that had stolen their money.
:D

Daryl

Re: Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft

Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:19 am

Cryogenic wrote:Are you being ironic, Doc?

You might detect a touch of sarcasm with the Sherrill comment, if you knew his reputation.

Cryogenic wrote:Richard Carpenter is a master musician ...

He's a master- something ... you really should refrain from imbibing before logging on.

Cryogenic wrote:Since you've previously trashed Neil Sedaka's "Solitaire" and Elvis for choosing it ...

The first allegation is untrue.

Cryogenic wrote:... and now you've made these extremely negative comments ...

The comments are an honest appraisal, nothing more.

Cryogenic wrote: ... may we all take it that you're not a fan of The Carpenters, but just Karen herself?

No, you may not.

Re: Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft

Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:He's a master- something ... you really should refrain from imbibing before logging on.


I know, but you have to be drunk to post here -- mostly. :wink:

Alright, Doc. Have a scarf, have a scarf...

Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:01 am

Personally I'm happy Elvis never had anything to do with The Carpenters' music
Bland
Rick