All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

CBS 30th Anniversary Book & DVD

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:25 pm

Anyone here wish they would release the CBS 1977 TV Special on DVD, ouch, ouch, ouch - [all members throwing rotten apples at me] again, drudging up the same old question :roll:

Seriously though,

This August would be the perfect time to produce an FTD of the CBS '77 TV Special on a limited 30th Anniversary edition DVD - NOT for sale in the shops BUT only available as part of an extensive FTD book on either the project itself or the final tours of 1977. I think the price and limited numbered quantity would stop this 'hot potato' getting a wider audience and the 'Jumpsuit Junkies' would then have to think up a thread on another subject :lol:

Pre-show preparations / Also Sprach Zarathustra / See See Rider
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV9kIp4m14w

How Great Thou Art
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDFvlbhBj8Y

That's Alright (Mama)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmfIwqyCywo

If You Love Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kTQMU8kXFI

Fairytale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBbIpobKj4A

Little Sister
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ibKGIdNF4

ARYLT / Love Me / Unchained Melody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty81D_AM_Mw

Warning might even start a poll on the subject [Ouch] !!!
Last edited by Shaky on Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:37 pm

FTD has stated many times, that the cost of doing a DVD would be quite prohibitive.

How they justify these expensive books then, I don't know...

Axe

Pay Up or Shut Up!

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:41 pm

<<FTD has stated many times, that the cost of doing a DVD would be quite prohibitive. >>

So charge 50, 75 100 quid - The fans will pay to finally get this officially in their collections. You know what I'm saying.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:49 pm

Axeman wrote:FTD has stated many times, that the cost of doing a DVD would be quite prohibitive.

How they justify these expensive books then, I don't know...

Axe

These are limited edition books, they print up maybe 10,000 (or less) copies. Maybe if they manufacture 100,000 copies the price would be half but then they'd be sitting on inventory for a long, long time (and they wouldn't be able to recoup their investment right away).

So it's all a matter of economy of scale, which is always different for a private operation such as FTD (compared to BMG who operates on a totally different scale). The only way to stay profitable for FTD is to sell off their inventory right away. So get 'em while you can, they won't last forvever!

Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:53 pm

Here's a perfect title for your DVD project idea:

Elvis - Dead Man Walking (FTD 0677)

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:03 am

Wow, thanks for the clips, I have never seen them :roll:

Elvis looked great, no matter what they say :roll:

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:20 am

Elvis looked great!!!!!

I have just sat through EIC and vainly tried to find some redeeming feature.

Looking great! He looked bloated and half dead wondering around in a haze.

Unsure of the words to some of the world's most famous songs.

A travesty of the man of"68 :!:

Re: CBS 30th Anniversary Book & DVD

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:27 am

Shaky wrote:Anyone here wish they would release the CBS 1977 TV Special on DVD, ouch, ouch, ouch - [all members throwing rotten apples at me] again, drudging up the same old question :roll:

No way, for the sake of EP's artistic integrity, we need more of the following:

Image Image

Image Image

Not to mention this ingenious bit of marketing:

Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist
Image Image

Now why would you want historic footage of Elvis' last tour released when we are already soooo spoilt?

Yess

Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:46 am

<<Now why would you want historic footage of Elvis' last tour released when we are already soooo spoilt?>>

Nuff Said :lol:

p.s. I never said release ALL the footage - just give us a nice Lil' re-edit of the special. If you look hard enough you can see wheat amongst the chaff. I still maintain financial limitations would not be a problem - Elvis fans will beg, borrow and steal to get their fix!

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:06 am

As long as the DVD highlights the 50's classics from both the Omaha and Rapid City shows, it will be a winner. :smt023 :smt035

Only if it could happen.... :roll:

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:40 am

midnightx wrote:As long as the DVD highlights the 50's classics from both the Omaha and Rapid City shows, it will be a winner. :smt023 :smt035

Only if it could happen.... :roll:

Didn't think there were any?
:roll:

Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:56 am

I hate these CBS special threads, cheap shot after cheap shot. I'll have you guys know, it was shown on my 18th birthday, Oct 3/1977. As a matter of fact, Elvis first performance of Old Shep was on Oct 3/1945 I believe!

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:03 am

A 30th Anniversary DVD set is absurd and pure fantasy. Any sort of mass-released DVD of the special is HIGHLY unlikely. A possible way for some of the footage to officially see the light of day is as follows: This Is Elvis-SE, the big DVD project EPE is working on, and possibly some highlights from Rapid City on an FTD DVD. Anyone hoping for a mass-release of the special and the full unedited concerts is living in fantasy land. It is amazing that these threads constantly get started. It is old news. Sadly, professional footage of Elvis exists in his worst state and a handful of so-called fans want the material mass-released in a special -edition package. Fortunately the 'powers-that-be' at EPE and Lisa Marie Presley aren't going to exploit EP's most dire and tragic moment.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:24 am

midnightx wrote: Sadly, professional footage of Elvis exists in his worst state and a handful of so-called fans want the material mass-released in a special -edition package. Fortunately the 'powers-that-be' at EPE and Lisa Marie Presley aren't going to exploit EP's most dire and tragic moment.

There is footage of Elvis' rotting carcuss out there, and they are holding it back!?

Yes, fortunately for you and the general public, the 'powers-that-be' will continue to satisy your desires with material in my first post.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:32 am

From EPE:

"......though there are some truly brilliant moments in the footage."

"The true fans look at this through the eyes of love, respect and understanding, and see the great historical value - as do all the members of our staff."

"Up to now, some members of the management team who decide these things have not become comfortable with releasing it."

"Not now" does not necessarily mean "not ever".

Listen!

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:04 pm

<<A 30th Anniversary DVD set is absurd and pure fantasy. Any sort of mass-released DVD of the special is HIGHLY unlikely>>

I never said a mass-release - a limited edition as part of a book project that would be priced as a limited collect-able (say 5,000 run all numbered FTD sort-a-thing for a 'Kings Ransom')

I also never said we should get ALL the footage, most of Omaha is unwatchable, but a re-edit of the best bits of both would give us something special in our collections, when we are wearing our lovely 'Rose Tinted glasses' - the same pair we put on to enjoy Clambake or Easy Come, Easy Go (Wow, I have just seen both of theses in the SHOPS, I quickly hid them behind some Beatle Anthology box sets! :oops:

Last edited by Shaky on Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:16 pm

I sincerely hope this Special is NEVER released to the general public. Elvis was ill and could not give his best.

Brian :(

I Agree

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:09 pm

<<I sincerely hope this Special is NEVER released to the general public. Elvis was ill and could not give his best. >>

I agree Brian - I don't want this out in the market place BUT I do feel it should be available as I have described. Would you want Dragon Heart or Spring Tours FTD in the marketplace either? They work in the context of a limited FTD release policy - whats the difference?

Re: Yess

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:10 pm

Last edited by Steve_M on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:13 pm

<<Shaky, I've agreed to do a one off copy + master of a box set just for you. I've agreed terms with EPE Please forward via PayPal $2.6M>>

Wot NO book, forget it :evil:

Hi

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:14 pm

Hi Steve,

Can I persuade you to do 2 copies??? I'll make it a nice round figure, 3million! I know you aren't in it for the money but I hope my generous price will persuade you. :lol:

Cheers
Simon

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:23 pm

Last edited by Steve_M on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:40 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:Elvis looked great!!!!!

I have just sat through EIC and vainly tried to find some redeeming feature.

Looking great! He looked bloated and half dead wondering around in a haze.

Unsure of the words to some of the world's most famous songs.

A travesty of the man of"68 :!:

Wasn't that the point of the rolling eyes?

I can't see the merit of a book focussing on this tour at all. What's the attraction of a photo book showing the man looking so damn unwell?

Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:53 pm

<<bootleggers rips it to DVD-R and sells them on e-bay for probably $100>>

Steve, if you go out for a drink I bet your pint is always half empty NEVER half full :lol:

I do take your pint, though Steve, I just want to enjoy this footage in the best possible quality NOT the DVD-R copies we have already bought on e-bay.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:41 pm

Last edited by Steve_M on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.