how's the sound on new american trilogy FTD?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by GERRY »

My understanding is that Felton Jarvis did not maintain a uniform mix pattern for the 12 shows recorded by RCA between August 21 and August 26, 1969. It has nothing to do with your perspective -- or mine -- regarding Ernst and Roger's work for FTD or BMG, it is a matter of fact. Thus, my recommendation that fans take this into consideration when revisiting these shows, and their release on various official discs
Sure but Larry Mohaberic was recorded by Felton i have supplied two audio samples.

Just for the record from the very outset IN THIS INSTANCE i did not believe that Felton would ever leave out the piano on such a recording , no way ,just as i do not believe his crew are the only ones working with different tapes.

David Bendeth and Ray Bardini had tape problems by the truckload.

changing the mixes and altering history Since the early 1990's

unashamedly taking credit for the skilled work of the pros Since the early 1990's

SAVE the music this man has to go

Writing books doth not better records make

Tomorrow if you want i canl post some samples from the 1969 shows i recieved from my dear friend Rick Rennie.

Doc - well did you know that Rick Rennie appeared in TTWII?
Last edited by GERRY on Fri May 25, 2007 10:29 am, edited 6 times in total.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:It is a bit of stretch to suggest that Jarvis would have mixed out the keyboards from the mix of one of the 1969 shows considering it was a major component of Elvis' live sound at that point.
My understanding is that Felton Jarvis did not maintain a uniform mix pattern for the 12 shows recorded by RCA between August 21 and August 26, 1969. It has nothing to do with your perspective -- or mine -- regarding Ernst and Roger's work for FTD or BMG, it is a matter of fact. Thus, my recommendation that fans take this into consideration when revisiting these shows, and their release on various official discs.
That is a reasonable point. All fans can do is speculate. It still seems odd that the producers would have chosen such a flawed tape when there were obviously other tapes to choose from....

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

GERRY wrote:... i did not believe that Felton would ever leave out the piano on such a recording , no way.
Believe what you wish but, like most of your posts, you speak from ignorance.
GERRY wrote:Tomorrow i will post some samples from the 1969 shows i recieved from my dear friend Rick Rennie.
Keep your off-line samples from your "dear friend," they are besides the point -- as Matthew already made clear.

You know Matthew -- he's the guy whose queries you run away from. Not too impressive, "GERRY."

And although the use of the name "Rick Rennie" brings to mind Rick's terrific audience recordings made between 1970 and 1973, it is clear that whatever "1969 shows" he sent -- and there are not "a ton" in existence -- are tapes made by someone else. Nice try, Houdini.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Mike S
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mike S »

Game, set and match to Matthew and the Doc.

Others will also remember that several pertinent questions were ducked and proved equally unanswerable by this self-styled 'sound expert' (in the recent 'Best CD' thread), despite a promise to address them later.

Not too impressive for someone so eager to criticise in order to push his own misplaced agenda.

sam

Post by sam »

Mike S wrote:Not too impressive for someone so eager to criticise in order to push his own misplaced agenda.
Maybe someone else does their writing for their own agenda also!!!

oops!!

:oops:

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Sam: The point is that if specific, relevant questions are asked, then they should be properly addressed to maintain the strength of any argument.

Sam wrote:
oops!!
You are forgiven--luckily I have a sense of humour!

sam

Post by sam »

Mike S wrote:Sam: The point is that if specific, relevant questions are asked, then they should be properly addressed to maintain the strength of any argument.

Sam wrote:
oops!!
But Mike I wasn't meaning you!!!! :wink:
I have nothing against your posts...keep up the good work!!!

:D

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

sam wrote:
Mike S wrote:Sam: The point is that if specific, relevant questions are asked, then they should be properly addressed to maintain the strength of any argument.

Sam wrote:
oops!!
But Mike I wasn't meaning you!!!! :wink:

:D
Phew!

Great to have that clarified--I'll rest easy now.
(I was just about to pm Delboy for some advice)!!

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Post by GERRY »

Doc wrote:
Ah, no. If you knew anything about the Beatles, you'd be aware that nothing is issued without the approval of Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia
Of course Ernst Jørgensen and his band of master mixers (you know the characters)would not be let within a hundred miles of the Beatles mastertapes.(obviously this was just a fictional scenario)it was put to you a couple of times to gauge your reaction , this is what you have to do with slippery characters , afterall you can only get to a glimpse of the truth with such charaters ,and sure enough it achieved the tell tell reaction that i thought it would.

You have pointed out to me that i like to use the term "Cowboys" to describe (re-read my posts you know the characters and please do not missquote me).
Anyway you wouldnt happen to be releated to George W would you ? You have a similer personality traits for deception albeit on this MB , by the way "Mastering the Politics of Deception" is a good read! :lol: :lol:

Since when have Kevan Budd and Sebastian Jeanssen -- whose superb audio restoration work for FTD has been universally praised -- been known as "cowboys"? Neither hail from Texas
I have never had any problem with their work , i have never made any comments about them to indicate this to be so, truthfull people know who the characters are that i class as Ernst cowboys.
Because your obsession with Ernst Jørgensen borders on the psychotic? Oh, I think everyone on the forum is quite aware
I care about the mixes being changed , i care about the music , maybe just as much as you care about the music of the Beatles.
Read this slowly: You - will - NEVER - have - Ernst's - job
Never once have i said that i want his job - No thankyou - I have a great job.Ernst is your god not mine , i dont worship him as you do ,if you ask me there are too many Self styled Elvis Scholar's in the Elvis world and not enough skilled producers/sound engineers,in anycase i bet you fancy yourself as some kind of poor man's Ernst Jørgensen ,at least he writes books what do you do? yeah Post on this Mb lol.

I supplied hard evidence that Felton Jarvis committed Larry Mohaberic to tape on the 8th Aug 1969, whatsmore there is also incontestable evidence that Felton Jarvis also recorded Larry Mohaberic those other times.

Read this slowly: Felton recorded Larry Mohaberic for a reason.

So DOc whatever your real name is ,That makes you nothing more than a dishonest liar , your yellow dude.

And you claimed that my friend Rick Rennie did not send me any 1969 cd's - this is the only reason that i offered to provide samples,you twisted and lied to make out that i said that Rick Rennie recorded them himself, i did not claim this, everybody knows Rick Rennie only recorded the 2nd Aug Dayshow.

Code: Select all

Get a life, "GERRY."
Again as no thankyou, not today , i have a great life.

And finally :-
Others will also remember that several pertinent questions were ducked and proved equally unanswerable
Several? unanswerable?
Best CD' thread
I have not answered Matthew regarding Kevan Budd simply because i have no problem with his work , whatsmore neverer have i said anything about Kevan Budds work either,Also why would i say anything against another genuine fan who doing his work for the love of it?

I never said that i have any multitrack 1969 imports, HELLO at this time they do not exist.

I wonder if old PEP will lock this thread and remove The Doc's right to reply as he did mine?

Uncanny knack of looking out for his fellow Beatles fan's interests on this MB.

I have prior appointment- back later.

unashamedly taking credit for the skilled work of the pros Since the early 1990's

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Previously I wrote:
Others will also remember that several pertinent questions were ducked and proved equally unanswerable
To which GERRY replied:
Several?
Yup, (that means more than one)--you were asked two clear questions which you promised to respond to....we're still waiting.
unanswerable?
Obviously as your response has not been forthcoming. The CD's mentioned have excellent sound which directly contradicts your assertion that no CD's with good sound / mixes have been produced during Ernst's tenure at Sony/BMG.
I have not answered Matthew regarding Kevan Budd simply because i have no problem with his work , whatsmore neverer have i said anything about Kevan Budds work
Actually it was Per's questions I was referring to, though you have also reminded us that, once again, you have failed to respond to Matthew's request in that thread as well.
I have prior appointment- back later.
Please don't rush...in this instance the term 'out to lunch' takes on a whole new meaning.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Hey PEP,

it may be worthwhile for you to lock this thread ASAP.

I did not buy the recent FTD "American Trilogy" so i cannot pass
comments as regards to the quality, but it is a deep concern
to me that the FTD whingers and/or Ernst critics, that the vibes
may get back to E.J and he may decide to cancel the FTD series
altogether.

So FTD whingers i say, be careful with what you write, the fact it's Ernst's baby
and if you continue to go the path that you have been, then Ernst
has every right to cancel FTD and then we'll all loose out.

I wouldn't blame E.J if he did.

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Post by GERRY »

PEP Was quick to lock the other sgt Pepper thread with the mock cover that belonged on a Beatles MBoard just so he could let his fellow Beatles nut have the last word , this one he leaves open in the hope that i will be brought to heel.

TBH this board is pathetic , a lot of you pander to the Doc like the little lapdogs that you are , jumping in having a quick snap and a little snarl at me in the hope that it will Earn you a few Brownie Points from your master.

You show zero respect to David Bendeth when he visits here , we have the doc immediately scrambling into action trying to look good ,for he cannot afford to look bad in front of David Bendeth , has to maintane this false-facade in front of his little litter of lapdogs, they have to see that their master this self styled Elvis Scholar and Ernst worshipper commands respect even from the likes of a worldwide famed producer!

So FTD whingers

It's not just FTD label ,wish it was , no as i have stated previously Ernst been involved in changing the mixes since the early 1990's.

Oh and Several means more than two , nice try Doc's little lapdog.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

GERRY wrote:TBH this board is pathetic , a lot of you pander to the Doc like the little lapdogs that you are , jumping in having a quick snap and a little snarl at me in the hope that it will Earn you a few Brownie Points from your master.

You show zero respect to David Bendeth when he visits here , we have the doc immediately scrambling into action trying to look good ,for he cannot afford to look bad in front of David Bendeth , has to maintane this false-facade in front of his little litter of lapdogs, they have to see that their master this self styled Elvis Scholar and Ernst worshipper commands respect even from the likes of a worldwide famed producer!
This one will get me through the weekend. Thanks, "GERRY."

Woof woof !

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

GERRY wrote:Somwhere we got our wires crossed as i never once claimed that i had any 1969 multitrack imports i was talking about my imports and their steady mix consistancy in relation to their masters.
Not true:
GERRY wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:My understanding of August 1969 mix anomalies is that the choices of instruments in the sound picture were made on the spot by Felton Jarvis, and these decisions changed from show to show. An engineer can only make do with what is on the existing tapes
Guess you dont own any boots then? Because the majority of the boots i own do not have these as you put it "mix anomalies" even the few that have incomplete recordings without the later overdubbs still retain a strong base of sonic consistancy.
You know perfectly well what you wrote and the very fact my question to you to verify your claim remainded unanswered until this rather limp attempt to pass it off as crossed wires speaks for itself. It would seem impossible to be a man about it and admit you were talking BS.
GERRY wrote:i replied to the doc without realising that he was only talking about Larry Mohaberic and in one specific show namely the 8th Aug 1969.

Anyway Without further ado here is the PROOF

Aug 8th 1969 and Larry Mohaberic as on Collectors Gold And disc 3 EAP Boxset Larry Mohaberic is playing piano on these tracks

http://d01.megashares.com/?d01=2bff26e

D/L it's only 300kb.

And finally here is PROOF that Larry is Missing from the same recording on different release namely Live In Las Vegas Boxset:-

http://d01.megashares.com/?d01=cfba197

D/L it's only 347kb.

Now Matthew there is your proof that my persistant claims regarding Ernst are true,but i allready knew this to be true.
August 8th, 1969?? Why the continued use of this date? August 8th, 1969 was never recorded to multitrack or released anywhere in anyform by RCA, BMG, or FTD - as well you know I truly suspect. The Live In Las Vegas boxset (as clearly stated in this thread) features the August 24th, 1969 Dinner Show, the same show Heartbreak Hotel and Yesterday have previously been released on other boxsets.

Clearly you have used this as yet another opportunity to express your ignorant vendetta against anything remotely touched by Ernst Jorgenson. Then you go on to say you have no problem with the works of Kevan or Sebastian despite previous stating that you have not been satisfied with ANY release to bear the name Ernst Jorgenson.

Your act is past its use by date.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Robt wrote:Hey PEP,

it may be worthwhile for you to lock this thread ASAP..
I can think of a much better solution than to continue locking threads GERRY uses as his playground.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Matthew wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:And was it added reverb or oneof the ambience tracks that was on 16 track? Even if thats true maybe a little overdone..but as rob said first awhile back..it brought to him the deja vou of concert experience as well as it did to me...not in those words.
Ambience tracks?
I was not there when someone mixed this show for FTD...BUT 2 microphones were at the venue all the way back to capture applause AMBIENCE etc...If that had been mixed way up THEN it would have same effect as added echo.....BTW can anyone tell the difference between natural reverb,ambience etc from FAKE?I doubt it..plus the fact that Elvis' mic had local sound treatment etc....Even at outdoor events reverb etc. is added to singers voice...you may have noticed at least oncewhen someone on TV sounds really crappy...its because the audio person used the wrong UNTREATED feed...anyways a live recording that is echoless sounds like really really poor or bad..and it isn't natural as well! :lol:
I understand what you're saying but I just have a sneaking suspicion that the sheer level of reverb on the FTD is not natural but added after the effect. I don't quite know how to describe it other than it doesn't sound like a recording of reverb but rather a recording played through a reverb effect. I can of course be wrong.
After going through the rough mix tape..the ambience heavy was at the primary recording process! sheet...come to think of it..imagine FTD going out of their way to "enhance" sound?!! Not me. Thats live echo whether you or one likes it or not and THUS I conclude (lol) that it is a true, well represented document of Memphis 74. :)

PEP

Post by PEP »

GERRY wrote:PEP Was quick to lock the other sgt Pepper thread with the mock cover that belonged on a Beatles MBoard just so he could let his fellow Beatles nut have the last word , this one he leaves open in the hope that i will be brought to heel.

[/color]
Gerry is there really something wrong with you?

I cannot be on this board 24/7 I do have a life, maybe you should look at getting some anger management....

Personally outside looking in you should maybe consult someone
about your additude.....

I would suggest strongly you getting with the program of not trying to get everyones back up against the wall including mine, I do not appreciate it at all....

From this point on if you plan to post or start any thread I hope for your own sake they will be constructive....

Thanks to you once again, this thread will now be locked as well....

At this stage you seem not just to be a angry person but a selfish one as well....

If you do not like it here please move somewhere else, AEk is waiting for you.....

Have a nice day...

PEP 8)