Anyone got Live in L.A. Yet?

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Interesting discussion, but now back to the original question: Has someone got "Live In LA" yet?

And if yes .. HOW IS THE CD??

Robert

Post by Robert »

Thomas wrote:now back to the original question: Has someone got "Live In LA" yet?
And if yes .. HOW IS THE CD??
Inside this thread, several comments are made about the CD itself..

KingOfTheJungle

Post by KingOfTheJungle »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KingOfTheJungle wrote:Trust me, doc, I am mentioning this to Ernst next time I talk to him, so I don't need your help with the resume. I would like to add that I do computer graphic work professionally, and photo restoration is one of my specialties.
Oh, good.

By the way, how is it you are on a first-name basis with Follow that Dream's Ernst Jørgensen about his releases, claim to possess enormous graphic skill and, yet, he hasn't signed you up?
Because I haven't yet volunteered to do it for free.

King Of The Jungle

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Because I haven't yet volunteered to do it for free.
Interesting.

You care enough to vociferously complain about FTDs on this MB -- for free -- but not enough to actually bother to do something about it. It's a shame we don't have more like you in the Elvis world.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Brian Quinn

Post by Brian Quinn »

Just received the 'Live in LA' Package. The CD is good but the book is not worth the price. The photographs are in chronological order and it is sad to see the physical decline of Elvis over the years. Further, I would have expected more than one page of writing with perhaps a few fan and press reviews of the shows from the time. There are also several photographs which are out of focus. Personally, I would have preferred the book to have concentrated on just the show featured on the CD.

This package is not as good as 'Writing For The King'; 'Rockin' Across Texas'; 'Flashback' or 'The Way It Was'.

I will be looking for a big improvement with the forthcoming 'Sun' Package.

For those of you interested in Led Zeppelin then go to http://www.youtube.com and in the search box type 'Robert Plant On Elvis'. Then click on 'Robert Plant Interview: Part 1'. Plant discusses his meeting with Elvis backstage at the Hilton. It is quite hilarious and he obviously has a great admiration for The King.

Brian :D

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hm. I ordered several weeks ago.

It is amazing how slow amazon.co.uk has become. They used to be the best and fastest.

Delivery estimate is now May 25th :shock:

Kristian Hjelmaas

Post by Kristian Hjelmaas »

The Live In LA package turned out to be a disappointment for me.

As mentioned by others in this thread, this is a photo book only (only a short introduction in writing - elsewhere there is no text whatsoever) - and several of the photos are of poor/ out of focus quality.

The cd is not top notch either, soundwise. The show itself is average 1974 standard.

All in all, the poorest book/cd FTD project up till now. Let's hope they can bring it to their previous high levels on their forthcoming projects!

Br
Kristian

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Brian Quinn wrote:Just received the 'Live in LA' Package.
The CD is good but the book is not worth the price.....
You've echoed some of my criticisms, Brian.

Surely, with all the work that's gone into it, plus the subject matter, the Sun project must 'outshine' all the previous book/CD releases ?

I sure expect it to..................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Elvis_Priestly

Post by Elvis_Priestly »

FTDs are like a persian rug: well made, look beautiful, expensive and there's the fun of finding the "deliberate" flaw.

I've recently started collecting them: 3 book/cd combo's, two 7" and four regular cds and most of them have a little mistake somewhere.

Can I suggest this is maybe a plus for them? Only because they are specially for the committed fans and the little typos and fuzzy pics are reminiscent of the fan magazines: made by fans for fans. An "exclusive" air that the clinically general released and published material would never include after being edited and proof read into oblivion?

And I'm not meaning to sound like (neither am I) Richie Rich but they are not too over-priced IMO. I'd spend £35 on a good "coffee table" book on other subjects I like and these FTD ones have a cd included.

I like Live in L.A. warts (or fuzziness!) and all.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TJ

Post by TJ »

Steve wrote:Quoting from Bill Wyman's book 'Rolling With The Stones' on page 422 -

The next day we went with the Led Zeppelin guys to see one of my heroes, Elvis Presley, in concert at the Los Angeles Forum. It was a good show to begin with: James Burton was on guitar, and played great. As the show went on, Elvis got lazier. Afterwards we were asked if we wanted to go backstage to meet him. Everyone else did but I declined. Sometimes your heroes are more heroic from out front.
Wyman calling another performer lazy? That's a bit rich :lol: I saw him a couple of years ago with his blues band and he was the least charismatic performer I've ever seen. I know the laidback thing is part of his onstage persona, but he took it too far. Said practically nothing for the entire show and just looked bored out of his skull. His bass playing was also very uninspired.

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Not a huge fan of all the endless soundboards, audience recordings etc, trouble is if you've heard one you've heard them all[ for the most part. ]This show does nothing to change my opinion though the 'Why Me Lord?' performance did wake me up.

I got you melancholy baby, built like a melon face like a collie.

Robert

Post by Robert »

The City of Angels.
A tanned and healthy Elvis Presley.
18500 fans packed the LA forum..

It must have been an unforgettable night..

2007:
Here we are bitching about this so called avarage/uninspired show?

I feel fortunate to get the opportunity to listen to this "new" show after all those years.
I also have to admit a recording like this doesn't represent the greatness of the event.

But I'd rather have stuff like this than nothing at all.
We know it is possible to upgrade soundboard sound:
FTD should do a better job imo..

At times, I am also dissapointed about some releases,
but at the same time, I already wonder what the next show will be;)

Cheers, RJ

Elvis_Priestly

Post by Elvis_Priestly »

Mike S wrote:Not if you wish to be taken seriously.

To suggest that poor workmanship is some kind of advantage is plainly absurd. By logical extension, are you suggesting you would like them less if they were better produced and free of the flaws you mention?

If not, then please join us in hoping that even more care and attention to detail will be taken on future releases.
The problem with "logical extension" is that sometimes you end with a non sequitur falling foul of the fallacy of undistributed middle. To facilitate your avoidance of such an absurd conclusion then be assured I am not suggesting it: that is neither implied nor do I intend its inferrence.

I did suggest we take such flaws as a plus, for the reasons I outlined, which of course are subjective.

If more care and attention is indeed taken in future releases then hold on to the originals - they may turn out to be the "Inverted Jenny"s of the Elvis world.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

It's not Spectacles Mike S although Conor has been known to take Him down a Peg or two before Today.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

After one quick listen, this show does not sound like a standard show. Elvis isn't going through the motions on this one. It certainly doesn't compare to his explosive impassioned shows from 69/70, but the audience in LA got a lot of value for their money. It also isn't a flat lifeless soundboard. It may not have the ambience of the Murfreesboro shows found on Dixieland Rocks, but it is well worth a listen.

Why is everyone complaining about the book? Everyone knows what to expect with an FTD picture book. Not every picture is in focus and it is somewhat over-priced, but overall, the Live In LA project gets thumbs up.

Elvis_Priestly

Post by Elvis_Priestly »

Mike S wrote:Elvis_Priestly wrote:
The problem with "logical extension" is that sometimes you end with a non sequitur falling foul of the fallacy of undistributed middle
I do apologise, I didn't realise English wasn't your first language.
The O.E.D. and A.C. Grayling An Introduction to Philosophical Logic will help.
I did suggest we take such flaws as a plus, for the reasons I outlined, which of course are subjective.

You certainly did and I suggested we don't for the obvious reason that they add nothing, but merely serve to detract from our enjoyment of them.
Subjectivity does leave one open to ad hominem responses but I did hope to avoid those by my reply.
If more care and attention is indeed taken in future releases then hold on to the originals - they may turn out to be the "Inverted Jenny"s of the Elvis world.

I hardly think that comparison is applicable here, besides which I think you'll find that most people here purchase them to listen to.
This thread deals with Live in L.A. and I think most people will find it hard to listen to that book.
One final question: Does the name Mauric e mean anything to you?
Yes, the person least likely to have my avatar.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Robert wrote:1974.
The City of Angels.
You should read 1974-75 TCB band bass player Duke Bardwell's interview for "The Man and His Music" -- it will fill in a few gaps.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

A short comment on the out of focus pictures in the Live in L.A. book. Isn’t it better to get these pictures as well than not at all? Let’s say that 100 pictures were taken, and 30 are out of focus. Would you prefer to see those 70 "perfect" shots, or would you like to see them all?

I, for one, would like to get them all. Let’s face it, this book is the perfect venue for displaying those pictures.

Per

Robert

Post by Robert »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robert wrote:1974.
The City of Angels.
You should read 1974-75 TCB band bass player Duke Bardwell's interview for "The Man and His Music" -- it will fill in a few gaps.
Let me correct myself, relatively healthy compared to the years to come..

The Duke Bardwell interview you're probably reffering to is perhaps the most sincere and in a way chilling interview around..

It's lengthy and fascinating.. Duke more or less got fired,
but in a way came out the winner..

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

Robert wrote:I feel fortunate to get the opportunity to listen to this "new" show after all those years. I also have to admit a recording like this doesn't represent the greatness of the event. But I'd rather have stuff like this than nothing at all.
I've said the same thing on many occasions. FTD is a collector's label and may not be for everyone (though they should be for everyone here).

The best part is that they are still optional. While not my favorite FTD by a long shot, how fortunate we are to have this (and others like it) in our collections.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elvis_Priestly

Post by Elvis_Priestly »

Mike S wrote:Elvis_Priestly wrote:
This thread deals with Live in L.A. and I think most people will find it hard to listen to that book.
I suggest you contact your supplier immediately; it would appear you've been shortchanged.
Oh is that a cd in the back? I thought it was a coaster including the hole in the middle as another FTD mistake. :lol:

kuenzer

Post by kuenzer »

Thomas wrote:Hm. I ordered several weeks ago.

It is amazing how slow amazon.co.uk has become. They used to be the best and fastest.

Delivery estimate is now May 25th :shock:
Wow! Slow and expensive.

I've ordered several times here, which turned out to be absolutely reliable and with no unnecessary delay, and now for the first time at the ElvisMatters shop, for they offered a package price (cf. thread), which now is somewhat delayed because they ran out of supply.