All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:59 am

"Hammer of the Gods," a Led Zeppelin biography, includes details of at least one meeting with Elvis.

Eric Clapton met Elvis while touring, in June 1975 in Memphis -- via Jerry Schilling he was invited to watch a few movies with Elvis and his entourage.

The "James Burton" reference Presley made to the English guitar whiz was simply tongue-in-cheek.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:52 am

There is a picture on page 34 that certainly could not be from Los Angeles May 11th perfomance... as in the picture he has on the Aloha jumpsuit!

JEFF d
EAP fan

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Hammer of the Gods," a Led Zeppelin biography, includes details of at least one meeting with Elvis.

Eric Clapton met Elvis while touring, after his July 1974 show in Memphis -- via Jerry Schilling he was invited to watch a few movies at the Memphian with Elvis and his entourage.

The "James Burton" reference Presley made to the English guitar player was simply tongue-in-cheek.

DJC, do you believe the Davis' account in Hammer Of The Gods? Davis is a sensationlistic writer and his "stories" often become somewhat fictionalized and his book on Zep has a LOT if misguided stories and accounts as well as his share of half-truths. I have always wondered about that so-called meeting. Any thoughts?

By the way, there is a great interview with Peter Grant from Zeppelin expert Dave Lewis in which he recalls the time he and the band met Elvis (which is much more credible).

Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:13 pm

I’ve just read this book. It took less than ten minutes. The rest was just a matter of studying the pictures. Many shots are out of focus, but it’s a nice photo book nonetheless.

I expected the concert to be a blast. There were two reasons for this:

1) It was a five concert tour
2) Led Zeppelin was in the audience this night

After the show, Elvis said, "Guess I taught them boys how to rock!"

Yeah, right. The show is surprisingly laid-back. It’s a good show, but it lacks passion and power. Some of it may be the fault of the soundboard, but there is a lack of commitment in Elvis’s voice. It’s autopilot even here. It’s not what I hoped it would be. It’s less. The recording is bass heavy, though.

Per

Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:20 am

midnightx wrote:... do you believe the Davis' account in Hammer Of The Gods?

If taken with a grain of salt, it is OK.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:47 am

Any thoughts on the date of the very first photo in the book?
I suspect the person who restored this pic got the shirt colour wrong.
Could it be the light green shirt (I think it had an ink stain on one of the shoulders at another time) EP wore during the Sullivan rehearsals?
The original print suggests the shirt is not black or even navy (a'la the blue Tupelo shirt) {although the chairs look extremely green}!
:smt018

Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:32 pm

Quoting from Bill Wyman's book 'Rolling With The Stones' on page 422 -

The next day we went with the Led Zeppelin guys to see one of my heroes, Elvis Presley, in concert at the Los Angeles Forum. It was a good show to begin with: James Burton was on guitar, and played great. As the show went on, Elvis got lazier. Afterwards we were asked if we wanted to go backstage to meet him. Everyone else did but I declined. Sometimes your heroes are more heroic from out front.

At the time, Wyman was in LA promoting his solo album 'Monkey Grip' and also went to the launch party of Zep's 'Swan Song' label.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:42 pm

thekingisalive wrote:There is also a Jimmy Carpenter mentioned in the 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can’t Be Wrong booklet. Another one of the head doctor’s multiple personalities?

Per

Jimmy Carpenter is a graphic designer http://www.jimmycarpenter.com/ perhaps he helped with the design of this FTD package, or maybe had something to do with the original album sleeve.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:18 pm

I got "Live In LA" a couple of days ago, and was slightly disappointed. It's a nice document, but I just feel that for that kind of money the photos could've been of higher quality, and the book could've had more text.
As for the show itself, I agree with Per that it is surprisingly laid-back. A standard 74 show, nothing more and nothing less. Soundwise, it is better than the Vegas shows we've had from February and August on FTD, being closer to the sound on the 74 disc in Rockin' Across Texas.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:27 pm

I was hoping since they made a whole cd/book project from this LA gig, that the sound on the cd would be as good as Guaranteed To Blow Your Mind, or Hello Memphis import cds... its not, but its still good to have a soundboard from May of '74.

I still like the package overall, I'm glad I got it.......

JEFF d
EAP fan

Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:01 pm

Thanks, Keith.

Per

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:33 am

I don't think the show is all that bad...he's singing pretty well for the most part...

I read in "Stairway to Heaven" by Zep road manager Richard Cole, that Led Zep went to Graceland some time after the LA gig, and I think Bonham and Elvis did some karate and Elvis broke Bonham's watch, then hive him his...or something to that effect...

Hey what's with the crazy trumpet solo during the closing vamp on Live in LA? Never heard that before!

Axe

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:48 am

Once again a friendly reminder people....

Please keep your thoughts and comments
at hand to educating other members as to
what your feelings are about the book and
cd included, DO NOT and I repeat do not
continue to break FECC rules by going
after any member of this board....to risk
deleting or locking a thread completely
because you yourself have allowed things
to get out of hand....for your own selfish
reasons.....

A few posts have been deleted already which
had nothing to do with the title an
original question pertaining to this thread....

If you are unclear of the guidelines please re read
so that you may understand before posting....
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... 4409569cb4

Thank you....

PEP 8)

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:32 pm

I wonder how much FTD's choice of show for this book was inspired by the Led Zeppelin Interview about Elvis which was posted in this very messageboard a few months ago ...

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:09 pm

Axeman wrote:I don't think the show is all that bad...he's singing pretty well for the most part...

I read in "Stairway to Heaven" by Zep road manager Richard Cole, that Led Zep went to Graceland some time after the LA gig, and I think Bonham and Elvis did some karate and Elvis broke Bonham's watch, then hive him his...or something to that effect...

Hey what's with the crazy trumpet solo during the closing vamp on Live in LA? Never heard that before!

Axe

According to Led Zeppelin road manager Richard Cole, Led Zeppelin first saw Elvis in concert during EP's '69 Vegas stand, (though they did not meet him).
Cole also says that Elvis introduced LZ (as one of his favourite bands?) during the '74 Forum show, asking for the spotlight to be put on them.
Of the meeting between the two, Cole says that Elvis 'connected' with John Bonham via there mutual admiration of Peter Sellers, with both of them sharing some of there favourite Sellers' quotes.
Cole also quotes Elvis as saying that he didn't have much time to listen to music, but that his stepbrother had played him 'Stairway To Heaven' and that it was rather good.
As LZ were departing, Elvis offered to "give them a few autographs for your wives and children......."
Another meeting between Elvis and a member of Led Zeppelin (John Paul Jones) occurred in March 1975. Organized through Jerry Schilling, the meeting happened in Bel Air. Apparently Jones left the meeting with a diamond encrusted watch and gold ring, with Elvis hanging onto Jones' Mickey Mouse watch.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:22 pm

Lew Nyack wrote:
Axeman wrote:I don't think the show is all that bad...he's singing pretty well for the most part...

Axe

According to Led Zeppelin road manager Richard Cole, Led Zeppelin first saw Elvis in concert during EP's '69 Vegas stand, (though they did not meet him).
Cole also says that Elvis introduced LZ (as one of his favourite bands?) during the '74 Forum show, asking for the spotlight to be put on them.
Of the meeting between the two, Cole says that Elvis 'connected' with John Bonham via there mutual admiration of Peter Sellers, with both of them sharing some of there favourite Sellers' quotes.
Cole also quotes Elvis as saying that he didn't have much time to listen to music, but that his stepbrother had played him 'Stairway To Heaven' and that it was rather good.
As LZ were departing, Elvis offered to "give them a few autographs for your wives and children......."
Another meeting between Elvis and a member of Led Zeppelin (John Paul Jones) occurred in March 1975. Organized through Jerry Schilling, the meeting happened in Bel Air. Apparently Jones left the meeting with a diamond encrusted watch and gold ring, with Elvis hanging onto Jones' Mickey Mouse watch.

Richard Cole is a very questionable source (as he was a big contributor to the semi-fictional Hammer Of The Gods). Zeppelin certainly did not meet Elvis in Vegas in 1969. The band did meet Elvis, but the details are somewhat sketchy.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:26 pm

midnightx wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:

Axe

According to Led Zeppelin road manager Richard Cole, Led Zeppelin first saw Elvis in concert during EP's '69 Vegas stand, (though they did not meet him).Cole also says that Elvis introduced LZ (as one of his favourite bands?) during the '74 Forum show, asking for the spotlight to be put on them.

Zeppelin certainly did not meet Elvis in Vegas in 1969.

Agreed.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:53 pm

Lew Nyack wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:

Axe

According to Led Zeppelin road manager Richard Cole, Led Zeppelin first saw Elvis in concert during EP's '69 Vegas stand, (though they did not meet him).Cole also says that Elvis introduced LZ (as one of his favourite bands?) during the '74 Forum show, asking for the spotlight to be put on them.

Zeppelin certainly did not meet Elvis in Vegas in 1969.

Agreed.

Yeah I remember this, I read the book by Cole. Pretty good book also for non-fan.

Btw I am listening LA CD now... I assume it was Reideldestructor again, who did the sound. There are so many sound errors which could be fixed... very sloppy CD.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:19 am

Compared to Tunzi's latest book Live in Oklahoma,
this book is high quality. I am pleased with it.
In general great lay out, but as mentioned before,some pictures are stuck in the middle of two pages: :?
Some pics are out of focus indeed. I have no problem with that.
As long as it has nothing to do with printing technique, so be it.

Elvis in LA looks damn healthy, tanned and happy.

The difference between the LA pics and Long Beach'76 is shocking.
Being confronted with Elvis dramatic decline in just a matter of a few pages partially takes away the excitement of the book.

The soundboard is no rocket science. Bass drum is upfront, nice!
Listen to the ending of Polk salad, did Ronnie Tutt try to blow off the LA Forum roof?...
A very solid show, fine setlist, no surprises though.

Cheers, RJ

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:46 am

Jim Dandy wrote:Any thoughts on the date of the very first photo in the book?
I suspect the person who restored this pic got the shirt colour wrong.

Whoever "restored" that photo did a TERRIBLE job. "Restoration is being quite charitable actually, all they did was run an auto-levels filter in Photoshop. If I had a high quality scan of that thing in 3 hours I could have it looking fan-fucking-tastic.

That was the only dissappointment to me.

And I will say the soundboard mix weakens the show quality alot, I have an audience recording that sounds much more spirited, I have a feeling if we had this in 16-track it would be comparable performance quality to the Memphis show on March 20th.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:44 pm

deadringer wrote:JBtw I am listening LA CD now... I assume it was Reideldestructor again, who did the sound. There are so many sound errors which could be fixed... very sloppy CD.

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Whoever "restored" that photo did a TERRIBLE job. "Restoration is being quite charitable actually, all they did was run an auto-levels filter in Photoshop. If I had a high quality scan of that thing in 3 hours I could have it looking fan-friendly-tastic.

Tell you what -- why don't you two PM me your resumes in audio and photographic restoration ASAP. I'll do my best to get them to the right people at FTD, and maybe you can end the nightmare, once and for all.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:47 pm

DJC Wrote: Tell you what -- why don't you two PM me your resumes in audio and photographic restoration ASAP. I'll do my best to get them to the right people at FTD, and maybe you can end the nightmare, once and for all.

I catch your sarcasm but don't doubt that there are talented members on this board that could do a better job than FTD staff.

This has been visually proven before as far as covers are concerned.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:55 pm

ekenee wrote:DJC Wrote: Tell you what -- why don't you two PM me your resumes in audio and photographic restoration ASAP. I'll do my best to get them to the right people at FTD, and maybe you can end the nightmare, once and for all.

I catch your sarcasm but don't doubt that there are talented members on this board that could do a better job than FTD staff.

This has been visually proven before as far as covers are concerned.

Sure I can do much better job with this 8). Some 50 hours of work and that's it.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KingOfTheJungle wrote:Whoever "restored" that photo did a TERRIBLE job. "Restoration is being quite charitable actually, all they did was run an auto-levels filter in Photoshop. If I had a high quality scan of that thing in 3 hours I could have it looking fan-friendly-tastic.

Tell you what -- why don't you two PM me your resumes in audio and photographic restoration ASAP. I'll do my best to get them to the right people at FTD, and maybe you can end the nightmare, once and for all.

Trust me, doc, I am mentioning this to Ernst next time I talk to him, so I don't need your help with the resume. I would like to add that I do computer graphic work professionally, and photo restoration is one of my specialties.

Tue May 01, 2007 12:14 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Trust me, doc, I am mentioning this to Ernst next time I talk to him, so I don't need your help with the resume. I would like to add that I do computer graphic work professionally, and photo restoration is one of my specialties.

Oh, good.

By the way, how is it you are on a first-name basis with Follow that Dream's Ernst Jørgensen about his releases, claim to possess enormous graphic skill and, yet, he hasn't signed you up?