All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:14 pm

Rob wrote:Because they know that many fans will buy this as is. Then later down the road when they finally do release the remaining 1970 Vegas shows, they know they'll again make a sale.

Mine was kind of a rhetorical question but all I can figure is Ernst & Roger have been relegated to the background and FTD when it comes to mainstream releases. I speculate on that becuase we got a 4 CD set for the 20th in 1997 and a 4 CD set for the 25th in 2002 and none this year, apparently. I think they at least have enough unreleased (officially) live and rehearsal material for a live set of at least 3 discs if not 4. But that would really only appeal to folks like us, not the general public so if that kind of idea was presented it was shot down by the powers at Sony/BMG. So these mainstream releases, like I mentioned in my other post, are an attempt to appeal to both us and the general public.

I'm sure they do marketing surveys all the time, so why not take one focused on Elvis fans just to see how many of us are out here, hoping for and wanting releases like we've gotten in the past. With this and other boards, the Elvis Insiders, etc. I believe they could take a very focused survey and as we all know EPE, Sony/BMG, Time-Warner likely monitor boards like this one. I mean, Elvis' sales are probably down and that is likely due, in part, to the fact that they haven't released anything aimed at the fans since Close Up in 2003. They've adopted the release strategy RCA had before Ernst & Roger got involved in the late 1980s, 'repackage and re-release' (See Ultimate Gospel). I'm sure the bottom line plays a part, with the songs already remixed and remastered, etc. so the cost is minimal for many of the recent releases. So we, for the most part, do not buy these becuase we have these songs, etc. already. In their efforts to appeal to a wider market, they seem to be forgetting us and that is what is so frustrating.

Rob wrote:I can count on one hand the number of mainstream Elvis CD's I've bought over the past few years. We are getting another unreleased show, so we should at least be satisfied with that.

Likewise for me as well. I think the last one I got was Elvis by the Presleys as a Christmas gift last year. I admit there are a few of the "genre" releases I would maybe buy just for the DSD remastering. I do have quite an abmitious FTD shopping list for Elvis Week though becuase I haven't bought as many in past few years, for various reasons.

P.S.: Rob, like your avatar, that was designed by be BTW. I also submitted a TTWII wallpaper to the same site but they didn't post it for some reason.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:21 pm

Now this sounds like a release that RCA/BMG should be releasing.

Of course, the unreleased 1969 concert is the one i am most looking forward to!!!! :)

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:48 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:Colin, I will try and find out more about these releases in the next week from my contact at Sony BMG(UK).

Thanks, Brian !

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:27 pm

nigel wrote:From what Sony-BMG has told EIN, a remix album has proven problematic. BMG, to date, is unable to find "hook" single that can be used to pr the album. The concept is not dead yet, just simmering for the next JXL type remix to be found.

How about Honda?

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:38 pm

does anybody know what songs are going to be released as the singles?I hope thay don't release songs that were already #1,i wouldl ove to see "I'm leavin'" releaed as a single and see it go #1......

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:22 pm

joshferrell wrote:does anybody know what songs are going to be released as the singles?I hope thay don't release songs that were already #1,i wouldl ove to see "I'm leavin'" releaed as a single and see it go #1......

They say there won't be any ovelap with the songs from the 2005 singles.

This could be interesting !

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:36 pm

The first disc of the “Viva Las Vegas” title is very similar to the 2005 release “Live From Las Vegas” and not a million miles away from the 2006 “Live” title from the genre series. Obviously the new 1969 show will please collectors, but aside from that one wonders how many new buyers BMG hopes to win over with these new releases.

Last year’s genre themed CD’s are still available pretty cheaply and whilst both the new movie themed set and the aforementioned “Viva Las Vegas” title give a much better overview of these respective periods of Elvis’ career, personally I find it unrealistic for BMG to expect casual buyers to keep going for the same concept every time they feel as though they can improve upon it.

I feel both “Elvis at the Movies” and “Viva Las Vegas” are worthy releases in their own right, and if we accept that BMG cannot sell original albums to the general public any more, then collections like these are the only way that good lesser known tracks are going to find their way to the casual buyer.

It would however, have made more sense for BMG to hold off on last years genre themed promotion, so that the 30th anniversary campaign would have a much better chance of attracting the casual buyer.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:15 am

i agree if they had made the 1st disc the 13.8.70 D/S..... now then i would be getting 'excited!'. :cry:

Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:33 am

ColinB wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:Not excited about any of these releases except the singles. I really wanted a REMIX album. If released internationally then most of these releases will not gain Elvis many young fans and will not set the charts alight. If the 'weekly release' singles set is issued in the UK then this will be a fantastic release, possibly gaining Elvis several more No.1's in addition to incresaing his total of singles sales.

I was just thinking that nobody had mentioned the singles, when I got to your post, Brian !

So:

Will the singles be original UK couplings ?

Will they have a 'bonus' cut on each disc ?

Will they be producing them in larger quantities after the supply fiasco of 2005 ?

If they are releasing 18 over 17 weeks, I assume we'll get two the first week, because the one with the box will be ineligible for the chart.

As Brian says, this is particularly exciting, because none of the titles will have been at No.1 before !

A great chance to increase his tally !

That is, if the public go for the releases like they did the No.1's !

The only way to have a chance of getting to no 1 is for each one to be an optional download in it's own right with attendant publicity. Just releasing a hard copy won't cut anymore under the new chart rules.

I note that Elton John is making 400 tracks available on-line next month.

How about that FTD :!: :!: :!: HINT

New on hold

Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:59 am

Sony BMG have asked Elvis Australia to remove all news of these releases from our website. We are asked only to say that more news will be announced soon.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:01 am

gee something 'weird' is going on! :roll:

Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:39 am

Of course...get us all excited then put us on hold :roll:

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:41 pm

This info was just posted,

Last week Sony BMG reacted to Elvis websites publishing news of its 30th anniversary CD releases. Sony BMG has now made it clear to the Elvis Information Network website that track listings and cover artwork are not yet finalised, hence their concern over the various news stories.Source: Elvis Information Network / Updated: Apr 10, 2007

Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:47 pm

We are getting these CDs. I know. George Bush just told me. His info comes from the man above. He also told me that if I posted any of it here, he would find me in the hell hole I call home and rip me a new one. Therefore, I have not told you anything. OK?

Per

Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:31 pm

The Viva Las Vegas title is a typical ploy by the label to reissue previously available material with bonus material to get the hardcore fan to shell out money for a release. The good thing is that another complete show from 1969 will be issued (and hopefully Ernst will keep the "monologue" in its historically accurate place within the concert).

Hopefully Ferrante is not the one mixing the live material on disc two. Since Ernst likes to keep things "in-house", maybe he can give Kevan Budd a shot at mixing the live show on disc two. Granted it would be nice if a skilled engineer like Bruce Botnick, Kevin Shirley, Jon Astley or even Eddie Kramer had a shot at properly mixing an Elvis show, but that is too much to hope for.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:09 pm

smirk, not much to get excited about. hope they have been keeping a tight lid on having july 31 1969 , and release it in 2009 on the day 40 years after. :p

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:09 pm

It would be great to have another unreleased concert but I too fear the worst sound quality wise. I can't figure out why BMG go to great lengths to have top sound on some releases but not others e.g. Elvis Live compilation great, LILV box set disk 1 muddy as hell. Likewise FTD releases of multi track concerts has not been consistent. I personally don't care for either 69 offering. Compare them to the 69 tracks on Elvis Live and the difference is huge.

I presonally would stick the monologue at the end as it destroys the flow of the concert - particulalrly when this will be a main stream release as well. I guess it doesn't match hugely if you've got a skip button. The main thing is to give us top notch sound and do Elvis and the band justice.

cheers Jamie

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:24 pm

they should plain and simply release ALL studio recordings in the original first generation sound like they did with E1 and E2....and as far as recordings from soudboards and rape recorders they have the technology to clear the sound up and get rid of tapehiss and mess with the volume levels,they just don't want to take the time to do it...just listen to the "Lennon-accoutic" c.d. and you will know what I'm tlaking about,they took tape recordings and made them sound as crisp and clear as a studio recording...

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:42 pm

Jamie wrote:I presonally would stick the monologue at the end as it destroys the flow of the concert - particulalrly when this will be a main stream release as well.

You are kidding right? Elvis was in a very talkative and playful mood during those August 69 shows. It isn't as though moving the monologue is going to fix the problem. That was a very controversial move on Ernst's part (in addition to mixing out the Larry's keyboard work) on disc one of LILV, one which he never has done since with other live 1969 material. Why would anyone want to disrupt the natural and historically correct flow of an Elvis concert??

Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:49 pm

I thinkthat all concerts should just be left uncut with all the talking left in it,that way we get to hear the real elvis having fun on stage...

Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:13 pm

Thank goodness for the skip button. That monolgue bores me to death.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:00 am

JerryNodak wrote:Thank goodness for the skip button. That monolgue bores me to death.

Yeah but Jerry, it's nice to have the option either way.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:51 am

Joe: I didn't say it shouldn't be there. Just that I find it boring.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:34 am

JerryNodak wrote:Joe: I didn't say it shouldn't be there. Just that I find it boring.

I stand corrected! :oops:

Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:37 am

Dennis Ferante mixed (or should that be killed?)all the 69 stuff,so i wont be buying anything.