All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:30 am

The "monologue" was a widely practiced convention in 60s Vegas concerts with major artists.

For example, see the below Frank Sinatra title "Sinatra at the Sands" (1966).

Track 9 "The Tea Break" monologue is more than 11 minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinatra_at ... ount_Basie

I believe the Elvis monologue should be left in it's rightful position within the show. Just give it's own track number and anyone who want's to skip it can press the skip button.

Another issue is the sound of the 1969 concerts. To correct the frequent gaffes and poor mixing efforts of past releases, I would strongly implore Jorgensen to do the following:

1. Transfer the 1969 8-track source reels direct to DSD. Do not use the 1990 era multitrack transfers made circa 1990 when Jorgenson auditioned the tapes for Collectors Gold. Digital technology has improved significantly since then.

2. Do not use a late 90s early 00s era "stockpiled" Ferrante mix to be released again. These mixes just suck. Ferrante was counting off the minutes to lunch. Missing instruments, bizarre balance mismatches. Lead instruments mixed lower than background "comping" instruments.

Instead, allow a talented, consistent and respected mixing engineer to mix down a show. Vic Anesini, who is often associated with remastering, is also a great mixing engineer. Listen to his stunning mixing and mastering work on the 1998 Sony/Legacy release of Janis Joplin's "Live at Winterland 1968". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Winterland_%2768

3. Allow a talented, consistent and respected mastering engineer to master the new mix. Vic Anesini, Kevan Budd and Steve Hoffman are all prime choices who would work wonders with this material.

Please do not give us another crappy Reidel mastering. No more stockpiled mixes or masterings which were dashed off 5 or 10 years ago. Please give this 1969 material the respect it deserves.

Use the stunning photos of Elvis performing in 1969 in the booklet and include some great liners.

Do away with the first disc of highlights. It's asanine. Just release the best concert in the vaults from 69 in great sound quality with great notes and photos. Is it that hard?

Sun May 20, 2007 5:22 pm

ColinB wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:Not excited about any of these releases except the singles. I really wanted a REMIX album. If released internationally then most of these releases will not gain Elvis many young fans and will not set the charts alight. If the 'weekly release' singles set is issued in the UK then this will be a fantastic release, possibly gaining Elvis several more No.1's in addition to incresaing his total of singles sales.

I was just thinking that nobody had mentioned the singles, when I got to your post, Brian !

So:

Will the singles be original UK couplings ?

Will they have a 'bonus' cut on each disc ?

Will they be producing them in larger quantities after the supply fiasco of 2005 ?

If they are releasing 18 over 17 weeks, I assume we'll get two the first week, because the one with the box will be ineligible for the chart.

As Brian says, this is particularly exciting, because none of the titles will have been at No.1 before !

A great chance to increase his tally !

That is, if the public go for the releases like they did the No.1's !

Colin,

The only information I can get at present is the the titles and release commence date. They are:

Heartbreak Hotel; Suspicious Minds; Blue Suede Shoes; Hound Dog; Teddy Bear; Don't; Party; Hard Headed Woman; King Creole; A Big Hunk O' Love; A Mess Of Blues; His Latest Flame; Viva Las Vegas; In The Ghetto; You Don't Have To Say You Love Me; Always On My Mind; An American Trilogy and Burning Love.

Releases commence 13th August for 17 weeks.

Brian :)

Sun May 20, 2007 6:55 pm

Are these UK titles? If so, it's curious that they include "His Latest Flame" since it was in the first singles box set.

Mystery Train

Sun May 20, 2007 7:03 pm

Another unreleased August ´69 show, GREAT! I will definately get that one. What we need is Elvis - On Tour, period!!!
How old are we gonna get before they finally realise it´s about time to let these recordings out there? Will it happen in my lifetime? (I´m 35 now)

Sincerely MB280E

Sun May 20, 2007 8:08 pm

MB280E wrote:Another unreleased August ´69 show, GREAT! I will definately get that one. What we need is Elvis - On Tour, period!!!
How old are we gonna get before they finally realise it´s about time to let these recordings out there? Will it happen in my lifetime? (I´m 35 now)

Sincerely MB280E

Well said. There is no reason for BMG/Sony to continue holding onto 30+ year old tapes of some of Elvis' most stunning performances. The Hampton Roads show may be the best multi-track show available from the vaults. If MGM/Turner have no plans to issue a deluxe dvd package of the documentary in the near future, then there is no reason for BMG/Sony to continue holding back the audio. There are fans that have waited so many years for these recordings and ultimately they may never have a chance to hear them and according to Ernst that is one of FTD's agendas; to make sure fans don't die before having a chance to hear some of Elvis' greatest recordings still in the vaults.

The idea that BMG/Sony wants to capitalize on riding the coattails of a DVD release is somewhat flawed. It is doubtful that marketing campaign surrounding an On Tour DVD release (and it won't be huge) will generate loads of CD audio sales of the same material. Did the 3 CD reissue of TTWII fly off the shelves in 2000? The fans that want the On Tour audio material issued are the same ones that have wanted it for 20+ years. That is the audience. They are patiently waiting and also getting older. The time is now for a release.

Sun May 20, 2007 8:26 pm

I couldn´t have said it better myself midnightx!!! I´m starting to think they have forgotten all about this material. Why think about what you can´t release when you can keep on releasing multiple titles of the now oh so familiar Las Vegas recordings from February 1970/72? Looks like they will release the same version of American Trilogy this summer... I wonder how many different releases that particular version can be found on...?

Sincerely MB280E

Sun May 20, 2007 9:32 pm

MB280E wrote:What we need is Elvis - On Tour, period!!!

Sincerely MB280E

There was a complete show released on the "Close up" box set and the other shows are available on various bootlegs. Plus we have the FTD CD "On tour - the rehearsals"! Also, many many out-takes exist on DVD!

Sun May 20, 2007 10:11 pm

Have a look at the title of this thread! I wasn´t talking about bootlegs and I am of course very aware of what has been released so far. The point is there is no official On Tour release to this date! Yes, the San Antonio concert is out there on a box set, but it can´t be labeled an On Tour box set. The concerts we are waiting for are Hampton Roads and Richmond, the best recordings from the April 1972 tour, and not the choppet up and incomplete and inferior recordings released on various bootlegs.

Are you telling me that you don´t agree and that you don´t whish for this material to be released?

Sincerely MB280E

Mon May 21, 2007 3:55 am

I not only wish... I beg for it. I was at the 4/9/72 concert, and now I'm 48 years old, what in the hell are they waiting for??????

Mon May 21, 2007 4:11 am

Some strange choices for the movie release. Only one song from Loving You, but they manage to include Shake that Tambourine, The Love Machine and Clambake?? Those tracks are in at the expense of the likes of:

Gotta Lotta Livin to Do
Meanwoman Blues
Baby I Don't Care
Young and Beautiful
Trouble
No More
Wild in the Country.

The title song from Roustabout would also be more worthy than some of the selections on disc 2.

Mon May 21, 2007 5:21 am

TJ: While I agree with you in principle, the problem is no matter what they include/exclude someone will disagree because we all have our faves.

1 song from Loving You is quite enough for me. I don't care for that soundtrack. How about more songs from VLV or Roustabout?

I expect the compilers felt the need to include at least one track from each movie. Which I suppose is both a good and bad idea based on ones own perspective.

Can't remember the last time I watched one of his '50s movies. Elvis "At The Movies" means the '60s to me.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Mon May 21, 2007 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 21, 2007 5:36 am

JerryNodak wrote:TJ: While I agree with you in principle, the problem is no matter what they include/exclude someone will disagree because we all have our faves.

True Jerry, but T.J. does point out what is also a pet peeve of mine. I just cannot fathom someone sitting there working up a list for a best of the movies set and saying "Hey, Shake That Tambourine has definitely gotta be on there fellas."

But on the other hand the European version of the Essential Elvis has a much better song list than the U.S. one.

Mon May 21, 2007 5:44 am

I don't know. I'd have to say I prefer the U.S version. Not that I'm going to buy either one. For that matter I'm not buying Elvis At The Movies either. I have Command Performances. Quite good enough for me.

Mon May 21, 2007 5:52 am

Pete Dube wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:TJ: While I agree with you in principle, the problem is no matter what they include/exclude someone will disagree because we all have our faves.

True Jerry, but T.J. does point out what is also a pet peeve of mine. I just cannot fathom someone sitting there working up a list for a best of the movies set and saying "Hey, Shake That Tambourine has definitely gotta be on there fellas."

That's what I was getting at really. There can be debate about which stronger tracks should have been chosen, but the likes of Shake That Tambourine should never even have been considered.

Mon May 21, 2007 10:49 am

TJ wrote:Some strange choices for the movie release. Only one song from Loving You, but they manage to include Shake that Tambourine, The Love Machine and Clambake?? Those tracks are in at the expense of the likes of:

Gotta Lotta Livin to Do
Meanwoman Blues
Baby I Don't Care
Young and Beautiful
Trouble
No More
Wild in the Country.

The title song from Roustabout would also be more worthy than some of the selections on disc 2.

I absolutely agree and disagree with the awkward choices for the song selections chosen for on the upcoming Elvis At The Movies compilation disc.

I understand the whole marketing and strategic move in that this disc is being used as a tool to promote the films on DVD and vice versa, but The Love Machine over Easy Come, Easy Go :?:

I still can't figure out how the hell they eliminated the #1 Hit "(Let Me BE Your) Teddy Bear" from this disc.

Mon May 21, 2007 2:39 pm

You know how sometimes when you first hear a song you don't really like it, but over the years it grows on you? The opposite has happened to me with Teddy Bear. I used to really like it, but now I loathe it.

From Easy Come, Easy Go my choice would be I'll Take Love.

Mon May 21, 2007 3:46 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:Colin, The only information I can get at present is the the titles and release commence date. They are:

Heartbreak Hotel; Suspicious Minds; Blue Suede Shoes; Hound Dog; Teddy Bear; Don't; Party; Hard Headed Woman; King Creole; A Big Hunk O' Love; A Mess Of Blues; His Latest Flame; Viva Las Vegas; In The Ghetto; You Don't Have To Say You Love Me; Always On My Mind; An American Trilogy and Burning Love.

Thanks, Brian !

Looks like we are getting Heartbreak Hotel & His Latest Flame twice !

Mon May 21, 2007 5:37 pm

ColinB wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:Colin, The only information I can get at present is the the titles and release commence date. They are:

Thanks, Brian !

Looks like we are getting Heartbreak Hotel & His Latest Flame twice !

Colin,

Just checked with Sony BMG(UK) and they state that the list given was incorrect. I will have the full details of the UK releases, including the tracks for the Singles Project for this year, within the next 48 hours and will post it here. I do know that 'The Essential Elvis Presley' will not get a UK release.

Brian :)

Tue May 22, 2007 5:26 am

JerryNodak wrote:You know how sometimes when you first hear a song you don't really like it, but over the years it grows on you? The opposite has happened to me with Teddy Bear. I used to really like it, but now I loathe it.

I was never crazy about it Jerry. Out of all the 50's classics Teddy Bear is too fluffy for my tastes.

JerryNodak wrote:From Easy Come, Easy Go my choice would be I'll Take Love.

That's a better choice than The Love Machine. I would've gone for You Gotta Stop or the title tune. But for me the best song from the film was She's a Machine. It has some unusually tough lyrics and rocks pretty hard. And Elvis sings it tough too!

Tue May 22, 2007 7:59 am

Pete Dube wrote:... the best song from the film was She's a Machine. It has some unusually tough lyrics and rocks pretty hard. And Elvis sings it tough too!

Elvis and Joy Byers -- or Bob Johnston -- had better days. Hey-hey.

She's a Machine (Joy Byers)

Well she's a earthquakin', hip-shakin', soul-breakin', love-makin' machine
Hey hey!!

She's a mad stalkin', smooth talkin', slow walkin' cat, you know what I mean
Hey hey!!

She'll wrap those arms around you, like a grizzly bear
She'll kiss you every fifteen minutes and lets you up for air

Cause she's a earthquakin', hip-shakin', soul-breakin', love-makin' machine
All right!!

Well she's a wild movin', smooth groovin', clock-tickin', love-makin' machine
Hey hey!!

She's a real breezin', rough squeezin', hell-teasin' cat, you know what I mean
Hey hey!!

She'll leer and make you like it, sweet as she can be
She'll make you blow your mind before you count to one-two-three

Cause she's a earthquakin', hip-shakin', soul-breakin', love-makin' machine

Tue May 22, 2007 1:14 pm

True enough Doc. But at least there's no Yoga, clams, Papayas, shrimps, salty sailors or chambers of commerce mentioned. :)

Tue May 22, 2007 1:28 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:Colin, Just checked with Sony BMG(UK) and they state that the list given was incorrect.
I will have the full details of the UK releases, including the tracks for the Singles Project for this year, within the next 48 hours and will post it here........

Thanks, Brian.

I will watch out for that............

Tue May 22, 2007 4:46 pm

hey DOC DOC,

Now you're talkin'!!!

I always love "She's a machine" ever since i first heard it in 1978
(on our 6 cassette, ELVIS 100 SUPER ROCKS, you heard of that
release Doc?).

Just bring on KATE BUSH in her 1980 "Baboushka" attire, and "machine"
in the background! MMMMMmmmmmm !

got her e-mail number?