All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sony BMG Releases for 2007 - Confirmed

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:03 am

Sony BMG will release the following CDs this year - Elvis At The Movies, Viva Las Vegas 2CD With Unreleased Concert, Another Essential Release and 18 Singles & a singles box set. This has been confimred to us by Sony BMG Australia.

Full details of each of these projects will follow, but this is a brief overview.

Elvis At The Movies

Sony BMG will release 'Elvis At The Movies', a 40 track compliation on June 4, 2007. The release of this 2CD digipack set is in conjunction with Warner Brothers' & Paramount's massive Elvis presley movie DVD reissue campaigns this year.

View flyer with cover art & tracklisting.

Viva Las Vegas 2CD With Unreleased Concert

Sony BMG will release 'Viva Las Vegas' a 38 track 2CD set on July 30 featuring the best of Elvis' live recordings from Las Vegas on the first disc and a never before released concert from August 1969 on the second disc.

Disc 1:

Viva Las Vegas
See See Rider
The Wonder Of You
Polk Salad Annie
Release Me
Let It Be Me
Proud Mary
I Just Can’t Help Believin’
Walk A Mile In My Shoes
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Patch It Up
I’ve Lost You
You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me
You’ve Lost That Loving Feeling
An American Trilogy
Never Been To Spain
You Gave Me A Mountain
It’s Over
The Impossible dream

Disc 2:

Blue Suede Shoes
I Got A Woman
All Shook Up
Love Me Tender
Jailhouse Rock/Don't Be Cruel
Heartbreak Hotel
Hound Dog
Memories
Mystery Train/Tiger Man
Monologue/Lifestory
Baby What You Want Me To Do
Runaway
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
Yesterday/Hey Jude
Introductions
In The Ghetto
Suspicious Minds
What'd I Say
Can't Help Falling In Love

Another Essential Release

The US and Australia released the Essential Elvis in January this year. The international version will be available for release from July 23rd. This will also be made available in completely different packaging for those countries that have difficulty mass marketing the Essential brand, although will remain the same tracklisting, in August.

(In addition, some countries have definite plans for their own album, and these are being dealt with on a country by country basis) This will be a 50 track compilation.

Although this consists of previously released material this time the tracklisting in non-chronological, for a number of reasons:

1) it creates a point of difference to pretty much every other Elvis compilation

2) the tracklisting is created to make it look great at first glance at retail, and plays wonderfully

3) it makes it harder to easily compare against low price public domain competition Tracklisting attached (not sequenced, final sequence will follow very soon) Cover for the Essential attached, alternative package cover tbc.

Tracklisting in alphabetical order:

(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame
(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
A Big Hunk O' Love
A Little Less Conversation
All Shook Up
Always On My Mind
American Trilogy
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
Blue Suede Shoes
Burning Love
Can't Help Falling In Love With You
Crying In The Chapel
Devil In Disguise
Don't
Don't Be Cruel
Fever
Good Luck Charm
Green Green Grass Of Home
Guitar Man
Hard Headed Woman
Heartbreak Hotel
Hound Dog
I Just Can't Help Believing
In The Ghetto
It's Now Or Never
Jailhouse Rock
King Creole
Love Me Tender
Mess Of Blues
Moody Blue
My Boy
My Way
One Night
Party
Return To Sender
Rock-A-Hula Baby
She's Not You
Stuck On You
Surrender
Suspicious Minds
That's Alright
The Wonder Of You
There Goes My Everything
Too Much
Viva Las Vegas
Way Down
Wear My Ring Around Your Neck
Wooden Heart
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me

18 Singles & a singles box set

Following the same plan as the 'Elvis 18 UK #1s campaign from 2005, which resulted in sales of over 750,000 units, Sony/BMG will release a new set of 18 singles, this time classic singles which were not part of the first campaign.

The campaign will run from August to December, followed by a complete box set also released in December. The 18 singles will be released over a period of 17 weeks, on CD, 10 vinyl, and digital download, with a collector’s edition numbered box at the beginning of the campaign, and a complete box (not numbered and slimmed down) in December 2007.
Last edited by Elvis Australia on Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:18 am

Now we're getting somewhere.

Has the 'unissued" concert from 1969 already appeared on FTD.

I assuume thgat the Vegas sides are all reissues.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:27 am

We have not yet been given the date of the '69 concert but I would doubt it would have been out on FTD before.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:32 am

I notice also that the Vegas disc opens with Viva Las Vegas..I assume that this would be a studio recording. Considering the lyrics :D

Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:51 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Now we're getting somewhere.

Has the 'unissued" concert from 1969 already appeared on FTD.

I assuume thgat the Vegas sides are all reissues.

To answer my own question :?:

Could the Vegas show be the August 22 Dinner show?

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:12 am

Hmmmm. Will we finally get a non-Ferrante mixed 1969 live concert, which is also mastered in DSD by Vic Anesini?

I'm not holding my breath.

The Viva Las Vegas package is bizarre. On disc 1, a studio cut of Viva Las Vegas coupled with live previously released Vegas masters?

Then the real goods: a 2nd disc with an unreleased 69 concert, apparently complete (with monologue uncut and unresequenced).

So we have to buy disc 1 to get the unreleased goods on disc 2. Typical.

But how will the 69 concert sound? Is this just another slapdash Ferrante mixdown made 5 years ago and stockpiled? Or will we finally get a decently mixed and mastered live show from 69 FROM A DIFFERENT ENGINEER?

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:49 am

these look like they are aimed at the fans,what happend to the mainstream release that is supposed to be aimed at the younger generation that was supposed to be released?

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:50 am

If these releases are for real I'm not excited by any of this. I certainly will not be the first in line when this stuff hits store shelves.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:55 am

:shock: Great news... :?
I'm only interested in the Viva Las Vegas 2CD set,because of the unreleased show. Considering that there are about 8 (partly) unreleased shows from aug. '69,i don't think that they will use a show which was already released by FTD,so most likely this will be a new one even for us,not counted several tracks which most likely appeared on various compilations. I hope the show will be complete and uncut,with all the monologues and band intros. Just for the completeness' sake. And i'm almost sure that they will use the Ferrante mix. He mixed ALL the aug. '69 multi track shows about 7 or 8 years ago,BMG paid him out and i don't think they will invest money again into a '69 show in the near future.
The cover of Elvis At The Movies is nice,but i won't buy that only for the cover.
The box set is a big disappointment. I expected a 4 CD set with about 100 unreleased studio and live tracks (including the Hayride show from dec. '56).
Fortunately we have FTD.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:20 am

I will definitely buy "Elvis At The Movies": nice cover, cool music and I'm looking forward to hearing some of the lesser-known movie songs in great sound quality (yeah, hopefully Lene Reidel is not involved...).

The live CD looks good too! Could "Viva Las Vegas" be a one liner or something? It would not make sense to open the CD with the studio recording.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:32 am

maby "Viva Las Vegas" will be done like "Bridge over troubled water" and have clapping added to the end of it to make it appear to be live when it's not... :lol:

Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:34 am

I like these, but strange on ON TOUR. I guess we're going to have to wait longer for that. The Vegas thing lends weight to the THATS THE WAY IT IS reissue.
I will most likely buy thses, I have no problem buying something that has been released on FTD I don't have any.

Looking at the track listing for the Movie I notice songs from TICKLE ME, which seems to suggest a DVD release. Other than that nothing that great,I liked Command Performace better.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:14 am

Keith: Since when does "making sense" have anything to do with an Elvis release?

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:53 am

JerryNodak wrote:Keith: Since when does "making sense" have anything to do with an Elvis release?

Hehehe... Good point!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:34 am

:? now that this is actually 'official' this has gotten much more 'interesting~' 2 vegas shows from 1969 seem to almost match the track-listing except BOTH shows feature 'funny how time slips away' that isn't on this listing! the 2 shows most closely fitting are either 22.8.69 d/s or 25.8.69 d/s from which 7 tracks have already been released from the latter show...so obviously i'm very much hoping its the 22.8.69 d/s going to be released and if so i'll buy it! :lol:

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:24 pm

"They" say that's it's gonna be 21.08.1969 BS sorry DS :-)

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:49 pm

I wonder, has Ernst and Roger had their creative control yanked away from them for the mainstream releases because Viva Las Vegas certainly looks like a slapdash affair. Why not simply release the unissued concert instead of doubling it up with already released live masters with a studio cut of Viva Las Vegas (what else could it be!?).

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:05 pm

:shock: well personally i really do hope its the 21.8.69 D/S! but presumably that includes the performance of 'words' edited out between 'are you lonesome tonight' and 'yesterday/hey jude' :roll:

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:51 pm

Not excited about any of these releases except the singles. I really wanted a REMIX album. If released internationally then most of these releases will not gain Elvis many young fans and will not set the charts alight. If the 'weekly release' singles set is issued in the UK then this will be a fantastic release, possibly gaining Elvis several more No.1's in addition to incresaing his total of singles sales.

Brian :(

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:10 pm

Brian

From what Sony-BMG has told EIN, a remix album has proven problematic. BMG, to date, is unable to find "hook" single that can be used to pr the album. The concept is not dead yet, just simmering for the next JXL type remix to be found.

Nigel
http://www.elvisinfonet.com

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:27 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:Not excited about any of these releases except the singles. I really wanted a REMIX album. If released internationally then most of these releases will not gain Elvis many young fans and will not set the charts alight. If the 'weekly release' singles set is issued in the UK then this will be a fantastic release, possibly gaining Elvis several more No.1's in addition to incresaing his total of singles sales.

I was just thinking that nobody had mentioned the singles, when I got to your post, Brian !

So:

Will the singles be original UK couplings ?

Will they have a 'bonus' cut on each disc ?

Will they be producing them in larger quantities after the supply fiasco of 2005 ?

If they are releasing 18 over 17 weeks, I assume we'll get two the first week, because the one with the box will be ineligible for the chart.

As Brian says, this is particularly exciting, because none of the titles will have been at No.1 before !

A great chance to increase his tally !

That is, if the public go for the releases like they did the No.1's !

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:11 pm

Slightly disappointing for the 30th anniversary, except for the unreleased '69 concert. I mean, c'mon now the first disc looks like most of the Elvis Live genre CD of last year. I can only figure Sony/BMG is trying to appeal to everybody (public & EP fans) with these releases. Likely the Vegas release didn't require any remastering/mixing because it has already been done. Hey we can always hope they make it available on iTunes or the Zune marketplace, that way we maybe could just download the '69 show :)

If they wanted to release a 2 CD Vegas set, why not go for a '69 show and one of the remaining 2 unreleased shows from TTWII, the 8/11 DS and the 8/13 DS? Songs have been released from these shows but not the shows themselves. The 8/13 show is the more appealing one to me personally becuase of the version of Polk Salad Annie from that show. It was included on the EAP box but that set got no remixing from what I can hear and I would love to hear a richer sounding version of that. For those that don't know the 8/13 show is where Elvis wore the "Red Ladder" suit. I see An American Trilogy as a better 'Elvis in Vegas' release than the first disc of this Vegas set.

I guess we'll have to push FTD for such releases in the future, that seems to be the only place to get unreleased material now.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:25 pm

nigel wrote:Brian

From what Sony-BMG has told EIN, a remix album has proven problematic. BMG, to date, is unable to find "hook" single that can be used to pr the album. The concept is not dead yet, just simmering for the next JXL type remix to be found.

Nigel
http://www.elvisinfonet.com

Thanks for that Nigel. Sony BMG(UK) did tell me that there would not likely be a major worldwide release for 2007 but regional ones instead.

Shame about the remix. I am surprised that CKX/EPE could not find a suitable advertising venture with which to link a major remix single. Many fans have already stated that 'Let Yourself Go' would have been a great choice. Perhaps this track could be linked to a major sporting event in the near future.

Brian :roll:

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:26 pm

cdh72469 wrote:Slightly disappointing for the 30th anniversary, except for the unreleased '69 concert.

It would be nice to be able to buy the concert without also having to purchase material we already have (many times over). I'll do it though, just to get the unreleased show.

cdh72469 wrote:If they wanted to release a 2 CD Vegas set, why not go for a '69 show and one of the remaining 2 unreleased shows from TTWII, the 8/11 DS and the 8/13 DS?

Because they know that many fans will buy this as is. Then later down the road when they finally do release the remaining 1970 Vegas shows, they know they'll again make a sale.

I can count on one hand the number of mainstream Elvis CD's I've bought over the past few years. We are getting another unreleased show, so we should at least be satisfied with that.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:28 pm

ColinB wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:Not excited about any of these releases except the singles. I really wanted a REMIX album. If released internationally then most of these releases will not gain Elvis many young fans and will not set the charts alight. If the 'weekly release' singles set is issued in the UK then this will be a fantastic release, possibly gaining Elvis several more No.1's in addition to incresaing his total of singles sales.

I was just thinking that nobody had mentioned the singles, when I got to your post, Brian !

So:

Will the singles be original UK couplings ?

Will they have a 'bonus' cut on each disc ?

Will they be producing them in larger quantities after the supply fiasco of 2005 ?

If they are releasing 18 over 17 weeks, I assume we'll get two the first week, because the one with the box will be ineligible for the chart.

As Brian says, this is particularly exciting, because none of the titles will have been at No.1 before !

A great chance to increase his tally !

That is, if the public go for the releases like they did the No.1's !

Colin,

I will try and find out more about these releases in the next week from my contact at Sony BMG(UK).

Brian