All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:35 am

thenexte wrote:I personally believe there is no reason not to release the complete Rapid City concert on the FTD label.

Personally, I agree with you. Having the show released in it's entirety on CD by FTD would be a.........

I just remembered that I once said that I would not participate in anymore of these EIC threads.

Please disregard.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:21 am

elvissessions.com wrote:Why hasn't this topic come up here before?

Well, you've certainly made that "joke" before.

Chris

Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:39 am

I agree with midnightx. It would be something nice for collectors. BUT in terms of something beneficial to the legacy of Elvis, it really does no good. Everyone is aware of how badly out of shape Elvis had let himself become, and watching this video would only reinforce those opinions no matter how great his voice still sounds

Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:13 am

yes definitely!!!

A CBS special edition of Jimmy Connors defeating Aaron Krickstein
3-6,7-6,1-6,6-3,7-6 (running time 4 hours 42 mins) in the 1991 U.S.
Open tennis tournament should be made commercially available on
a dvd dual package!!!!

How does that grab ya dellboy!!!

Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:29 am

hey delboy,

now that i got that out of my system!

a complete rapid city show would be nice as too would the
aforementioned tennis match on jimbo's 39th birthday,
but i got some earth shattering news for you sport,
NOTHING FROM ELVIS IN CONCERT is going to come
out (except on bootleg in improved form).

I feel both events Rapid City (21/6/77) and the U.S. Open
tennis match (2/9/91) were a great exhibition of three (if you count the
lchap who lost the tennis match, aaron Krickstein) human
beings demonstrating their intenstinal fortitude (gut's) and ought
to come out commercially.

Thank heavens that the respective events available on the
boot circuit (albeit in varying picture and audio qualities).

Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:43 am

TkoTzer wrote:I agree with midnightx. It would be something nice for collectors. BUT in terms of something beneficial to the legacy of Elvis, it really does no good. Everyone is aware of how badly out of shape Elvis had let himself become, and watching this video would only reinforce those opinions no matter how great his voice still sounds

Mmm

So tell me..

What are Your thoughts on a Statue in Tupelo?

Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:34 am

Here is my story on this.
I watch it back in Oct of 1977 when it came on tv for years i wanted a copy of this for my collection.
Then about 2000 i got ahold of EIC.

My memories of the concert were changed after watching it all i remember from watching the concert was this was the last concert that Elvis ever gave.

Then in 2000 after i got the concert and watching it agin i could see that Elvis was not in good health at the time .

Yes he did do good on some of the songs like My Way & Unchained Melody .

But would the public at large go for this concert ?

That is hard to say for one's old enough to have watched it when Elvis back in 77 may wanted for that like i did or who was at the concert.

But there are fans out there who became fans of Elvis aftered he died all they hae sceen is the slim Elvis from the movies and the 68 comeback and the two Documerties also the Aloha Shows.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:54 am

Cryogenic wrote:Nice, Lew!

Especially considering how distorted (but still good) that film was and is.

What's your signature banner about, BTW? HD-DVD?! What Elvis release is coming out in HIGH DEFINITION??? Do tell more!

The film was ok but it was the 77 footage that did it for me.
The shows captured by CBS 30 years ago tell a tragic tale, on one hand, a man with six weeks to live still out there night after night delivering the goods, making some folks dreams a reality....on the other hand, this story does not have a happy ending. It is not a Hollywood fairytale, so I guess it won't sell.... a shame.

As for my banner, it's just a fantasy release of the CBS material........dreams are free.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:46 am

Thank you, Lew!

The "Elvis In Concert" event / footage / material powerfully conveys the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi:

From wikipedia wrote:Wabi-sabi represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centred on the acceptance of transience. The phrase comes from the two words wabi and sabi. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" (according to Leonard Koren in his book Wabi-Sabi: for Artists, Designers, Poets and Philosophers). It is a concept derived from the Buddhist assertion of the Three marks of existence — Anicca, or in Japanese, (mujyou), impermanence.

According to Koren, wabi-sabi is the most conspicuous and characteristic feature of what we think of as traditional Japanese beauty and it "occupies roughly the same position in the Japanese pantheon of aesthetic values as do the Greek ideals of beauty and perfection in the West." Andrew Juniper claims, "if an object or expression can bring about, within us, a sense of serene melancholy and a spiritual longing, then that object could be said to be wabi-sabi." Richard R. Powell summarizes by saying "It (wabi-sabi) nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

The words wabi and sabi do not translate easily. Wabi originally referred to the loneliness of living in nature, remote from society; sabi meant "chill", "lean" or "withered". Around the 14th century these meanings began to change, taking on more positive connotations. Wabi now connotes rustic simplicity, freshness or quietness, and can be applied to both natural and human-made objects, or understated elegance. It can also refer to quirks and anomalies arising from the process of construction, which add uniqueness and elegance to the object. Sabi is beauty or serenity that comes with age, when the life of the object and its impermanence are evidenced in its patina and wear, or in any visible repairs.

Wabi and sabi both suggest sentiments of desolation and solitude. In the Mahayana Buddhist view of the universe, these may be viewed as positive characteristics, representing liberation from a material world and transcendence to a simpler life. Mahayana philosophy itself, however, warns that genuine understanding cannot be achieved through words or language, so accepting wabi-sabi on nonverbal terms may be the most appropriate approach.

The wabi and sabi concepts are religious in origin, but actual usage of the words in Japanese is often quite casual. The syncretic nature of Japanese belief systems should be noted.

A very simple translation of wabi sabi would be: Sad Beauty

Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:46 am

Cryogenic wrote:Thank you, Lew!

The "Elvis In Concert" event / footage / material powerfully conveys the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi:

From wikipedia wrote:Wabi-sabi represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centred on the acceptance of transience. The phrase comes from the two words wabi and sabi. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete" (according to Leonard Koren in his book Wabi-Sabi: for Artists, Designers, Poets and Philosophers). It is a concept derived from the Buddhist assertion of the Three marks of existence — Anicca, or in Japanese, (mujyou), impermanence.

According to Koren, wabi-sabi is the most conspicuous and characteristic feature of what we think of as traditional Japanese beauty and it "occupies roughly the same position in the Japanese pantheon of aesthetic values as do the Greek ideals of beauty and perfection in the West." Andrew Juniper claims, "if an object or expression can bring about, within us, a sense of serene melancholy and a spiritual longing, then that object could be said to be wabi-sabi." Richard R. Powell summarizes by saying "It (wabi-sabi) nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

The words wabi and sabi do not translate easily. Wabi originally referred to the loneliness of living in nature, remote from society; sabi meant "chill", "lean" or "withered". Around the 14th century these meanings began to change, taking on more positive connotations. Wabi now connotes rustic simplicity, freshness or quietness, and can be applied to both natural and human-made objects, or understated elegance. It can also refer to quirks and anomalies arising from the process of construction, which add uniqueness and elegance to the object. Sabi is beauty or serenity that comes with age, when the life of the object and its impermanence are evidenced in its patina and wear, or in any visible repairs.

Wabi and sabi both suggest sentiments of desolation and solitude. In the Mahayana Buddhist view of the universe, these may be viewed as positive characteristics, representing liberation from a material world and transcendence to a simpler life. Mahayana philosophy itself, however, warns that genuine understanding cannot be achieved through words or language, so accepting wabi-sabi on nonverbal terms may be the most appropriate approach.

The wabi and sabi concepts are religious in origin, but actual usage of the words in Japanese is often quite casual. The syncretic nature of Japanese belief systems should be noted.

A very simple translation of wabi sabi would be: Sad Beauty

wabi sabi, one for the memory bank.
Your translation of 'Sad Beauty' conveys beautifully my thoughts on the 77 footage.
Thank You.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:20 am

It is part of the "history" of the King - Let's have it upgraded and on sale - you don't have to buy it but I would!!

Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:42 pm

hey elvisarsenal,

t'aint going to happen, my friend!!!

i think, however, there's a 50-50 chance the rapid city show
will come out as an FTD someday which would be just dandy!

Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:43 pm

Robt wrote:A CBS special edition of Jimmy Connors defeating Aaron Krickstein 3-6,7-6,1-6,6-3,7-6 (running time 4 hours 42 mins) in the 1991 U.S. Open tennis tournament should be made commercially available on
a dvd dual package!!!!

Wow, now that's a tennis fan!! Aaron Krickstein?! Well done. Any pics of Anna Kournikova?

As for EIC, I always let the estate decide what I should and shouldn't see, and what I am supposed to appreciate with each release. They know these things better than I. They's educated.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:55 pm

KHoots wrote:
Robt wrote:A CBS special edition of Jimmy Connors defeating Aaron Krickstein 3-6,7-6,1-6,6-3,7-6 (running time 4 hours 42 mins) in the 1991 U.S. Open tennis tournament should be made commercially available on
a dvd dual package!!!!

Wow, now that's a tennis fan!! Aaron Krickstein?! Well done. Any pics of Anna Kournikova?

As for EIC, I always let the estate decide what I should and shouldn't see, and what I am supposed to appreciate with each release. They know these things better than I. They's educated.

If I'm not mistaken, Krickstein is from your home state of Michigan, KHoots!

Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:09 pm

I couldn't resist joining in.

YES - but not before everything from ON TOUR and TTWII and all the 50's TV shows are released

Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:24 pm

YES 8)

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:04 pm

it actually saddens me because whenever i
play the videotapes of Elvis' singing "My Way" and
"Hurt" and (on bootleg video) "trying to get to you"
he delivered (despite his decline in health) damn fine renditions, particularly
"My Way" that absolutely touches the heartstrings within and makes
me so proud to be an Elvis fan!!! That evening Elvis gave 110%
of himselvis!!!

i think it's a f.....ing disgrace that not even an FTD audio of
just the entire Rapid City 21/6/77 has yet to surface.

finally to the two tennis enthusiasts: you can try this website
ricksasha@gmail.com as he has the best quality of that
1991 Jimbo/Krickstein match that has came out yet.
He's a real top bloke as well!

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:05 pm

No. The media would crucify him. We do not need the drugs issue brought up all again.

Brian :(

Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:13 pm

I hope they do release it. It WILL be released sooner than many of you think. Who'd have thought that EPE would have staged a impersonators contest! Its not that long ago they were totally against them now they welcome them to Graceland! And all since the sell-off.

Sillerman will have already asked Priscilla about her thoughts on a release of EIC, and knowing how he operates it will happen. He usually gets what he wants and I know from a company insider, EIC is on his money making programme. I personally think it will be out by 2009 IF NOT SOONER :wink:

The years when it would do Elvis' image irreversable damage have long gone. Joe Public can see Elvis in 1977 on You Tube so why not on DVD?
This August would be a perfect platform for it's launch, so much so, I am surprised that Sillerman has let it go. Or has he? :wink:

Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:05 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:No. The media would crucify him. We do not need the drugs issue brought up all again.

Brian :(

The drugs issue will be brought up anyway, again and again. That's the kind of the stuff "the media" are interested in, after all.

But - do you really think "the media" would be that interested in the DVD release we're talking about here? I mean, how many reviews have you read of the Sullivan box, for example? The music press, like Record Collector and Mojo, would probably write about it, and they would hardly crucify Elvis, even if the disc might get poor reviews.

It's funny though, EPE, Priscilla/Lisa Marie are against releasing it, but still it seems OK to put out a few songs here and there, Unchained Melody, My Way, Are You Lonesome Tonight, Love Me...

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:35 pm

Personally speaking...

I get bored SHITLESS of the drug issue.

I don't mind fans bringing it up; in fact, it's critically important in discussing what happened ..... BUT ..... when Joe Public starts talking about it, especially media commentators, they inevitably raise it as some kind of dismissal.

Releasing EIC will attract some negative publicity -- SURE. Even releasing a 50's product attracts the same kind of comments ("see Elvis BEFORE the drugs took over...." ....... "before he got fat...." "before he started performing in jumpsuits in Vegas....." ....... "before he became a parody of himself......." etc.). We've all seen it. And we're going to keep seeing it. That's just the way the world works. But the true magic and power of EP endures. Sweeping these things under the carpet is a denial of reality -- it's EXACTLY the same thing Elvis himself was doing.

EIC is coming. Just give it time. Given how good "Aloha" looks and sounds, I simply cannot wait to see and hear EIC!!!!!! A proper remastering job should produce incredible results. On a technical level, it'll be the best Elvis has ever sounded -- or ever could sound -- LIVE. Isn't that worth the trip? No, wait: some cynical souls are going to answer that with a negative smile. YES. It's worth the trip.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:59 pm

Part of the issue is all about priority and chronology. This discussion is basically mute, given the fact that it was the last thing ever produced on Elvis while he was alive, so chronologically it could be the last thing to come out on DVD. There really never was a chance it was going to come out BEFORE, "Elvis on tour", let alone a handful of movies that still have not made DVD.

*Then there are the other 50's performance packages that could come out.

*Then a career spanding anthology package.

*Then a few filler packages for the general public.

*Then more special editions of his movies already out on DVD.

*Then another better edition of "thats the way it is".

*Then probably the 50th anniversay of his death, they will have saved this for release.

So it's all about priority. The fact is they still have other fine stuff to release first.

But yes, one day it will happen, when the well is dry.

This is the way I see the DVD releases happen in the next 20 years.

PS. No I don't have a chrystal ball even though Elvis probaby did, and if he did, why couldn't he see the path he was on. Or perhaps his chrytal ball was defective. (This is kind of a companion piece for the numbers/mystical thread)

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:25 pm

Any kind of DVD with the '77 CBS performances should be a collector's release ONLY.

And I would buy one.

I don't even want the special itself. It was so badly put together. I just want the Rapid City show with a couple of the Omaha songs thrown in as a bonus. Just to have "Trying To Get To You" would be terrific.

Rich

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:17 am

WOW! I was hoping for a reaction but never expected this!!!!

Reuters 26th March 2007

CBS – ELVIS IN CONCERT

EPE / Sillerman Enterprises are delighted to announce the long awaited release of Elvis Presley’s final television spectacular! The 1977 CBS special ‘Elvis in Concert’ will be released on June 19th 2007. Robert Sillerman announced “Due to overwhelming public demand, and several threads on the FECC message board, we are delighted to announce the release of this historic TV special. Exactly 30 years to the day the special was filmed (well part of it anyway), it will finally be in the shops.” The DVD will contain the following:

• The full, unedited, Omaha concert of June 19th 1977 in 5.1 Dolby surround sound.
• The full, unedited, Rapid City concert of June 21st 1977 in 5.1 Dolby surround sound.

Bonus features;

• Soundboard disc of Elvis’ final concert in Indianapolis, June 26th 1977.
• Never before seen interview with Elvis by the Graceland pool July 17th 1977.
• Exclusive voice over by drjohncarpenter.
• Exclusive, ‘never before seen’ footage of Elvis on the ‘Lisa Marie’ June 26th 1977.
• Exclusive ‘never before seen’ footage of Elvis’ fight at the Madison gas station during the same tour.

Just goes to show what 'fan power' can do. Now for 'Elvis on Tour'.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:39 am

hey delboy,

very funny ha-ha but your a few days early!

on june 17 this year i'll be buying them and then shove 'em
in each of your ears, sport!