All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Should the CBS special be released on DVD?

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:05 am

Only kidding! :wink:

Re: Should the CBS special be released on DVD?

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:06 am

Delboy wrote:Only kidding! :wink:

Well, I for one would welcome a debate about this.

Perhaps we need a poll on it ?

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:13 am

YES

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:20 am

Delboy wrote:Only kidding! :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

but no no no no no no no no no.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:36 pm

YES !!!

:D

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:39 pm

YES :wink: this should be released - for collectors every where - it will give an insight on how great his voice was still - right to the end -

Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:57 pm

A better question would be, why hasn't this historic document been released?

Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:31 pm

I'm unclear what "CBS special" you're discussing. Is this something new? Please provide details! Why hasn't this topic come up here before?

Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:37 pm

elvissessions.com wrote:I'm unclear what "CBS special" you're discussing. Is this something new? Please provide details! Why hasn't this topic come up here before?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:44 pm

Great question! What a fascinating topic. :wink:

cbs special

Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:08 pm

elvissessions.com..........PLEEEEEEEEEEZE tell me you ARE kidding and being sarcastic!!!!!!! but THAT aside ....I say no. I say it with a heavy heart because I for one would LOVE to have this including ALL the outakes and complete shows in digitally remastered quality.....however...
I remember when this was 1st shown on tv in uk, and clips were repeated throughout the early 80's on various "in depth" documentaries.
In almost all of these , our hero was ridiculed , and elvis fans themselves went thru a period of ridicule. The media just could not grasp the fact that no matter what Elvis looked like , we still loved him and his music. I for one think that EPE has done a marvelous job in bringing Elvis back to the masses by encourageing and cultivating the positive side of his image , whilst still putting out new and rarer material for us "anoraks" via the FTD label. It may not be perfect....but lots of you will the remember the barren 80's when we got hardly any new stuff.

Re: cbs special

Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:32 pm

pacerburton wrote: I for one think that EPE has done a marvelous job in bringing Elvis back to the masses by encourageing and cultivating the positive side of his image...

Yeah, here's a couple of sterling examples from EPE:

Not to menton this outstanding salt and pepper set:

Keep up the good work EPE.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:33 pm

Pacer - I think the days of ridicule are long gone. Peole are only too aware of what happened to Elvis, but rather than riducle, most feel compassion, and I don't think the CBS special would create much fuss at all outside of the Elvis world. It's no secret any more, and so no one's really bothered.

The footage is out there on Youtube, and yet I've never read an article in the press saying that anyone had seen it, and what they thought.

At the time, in the early 80's, there was still disbelief that Elvis had a drug problem, or had let himself go so much. Now, it's common knowledge, and people are actually suprised when I show them the footage about how much better, and slimmer he looked than they expected. People expect to see a 300lb drug addled pathetic performer, and that's just not the case.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:37 pm

I have shown EIC to different people and never gotten a negative reaction. I also knew a girl who was into "emo" and hard rock / punk music, but she said her dad was into Elvis and she LOVED his rendition of "Unchained Melody" from EIC. In her words: "you can really feel the emotion in his voice". I also sent an anti-Elvis mate the EIC recording of "My Way" and he was surprised by how much life the song had at the end (which means he listened all the way through, being taken aback by the climax). Time and time again, EIC actually WOWS people -- for all the RIGHT reasons.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:43 pm

Cryogenic wrote: I also sent an anti-Elvis mate the EIC recording of "My Way" and he was surprised by how much life the song had at the end (which means he listened all the way through, being taken aback by the climax). Time and time again, EIC actually WOWS people -- for all the RIGHT reasons.

Twas that very performance (from This Is Elvis), that made me a fan.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:47 pm

Nice, Lew!

Especially considering how distorted (but still good) that film was and is.

What's your signature banner about, BTW? HD-DVD?! What Elvis release is coming out in HIGH DEFINITION??? Do tell more!

thnx

Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:48 pm

thanks for input , people. you may be right......i HOPE so.... i just get the uneasy feelin that when the mass publicity needed to generate decent sales of this disc MIGHT also generate negative publicity ...thats all. anyway......time will tell

Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:39 pm

Delboy, now see what you have done! It's started all over again... aarrghh!
:wink:

Anyway, as DarrylMac said, the footage - all of it - including the (mostly) dreadful Omaha footage is out there anyway. It's on Youtube, where it reaches a lot more people than would ever buy a DVD release of the CBS Special. I would welcome a nicely edited version of it on DVD.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:35 pm

YES! :D
Now, Delboy, go back in to that castle of yours. 8)

Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:38 pm

Delboy wrote:Should the CBS special be released on DVD?

I liked you at one time.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:39 pm

What would be the point of releasing that now? It's only the 30th anniversary of the show! I say they should wait until the 50th anniversary of "Elvis in concert" to release a comprehensive CD/DVD package. This way they'll at least make sure it doesn't get into the hands of people who actually were around when it happened (aka potential buyers of such a product).
Last edited by thenexte on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:38 pm

Should it be released? Yes. In the best quality possible so that those who want it can have it. Will I buy it? No. I watched it on CBS back in '77.
Once was enough.

Now if FTD was to upgrade/redo the album then I'd be interested.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:50 pm

JerryNodak wrote:Now if FTD was to upgrade/redo the album then I'd be interested.

I personally believe there is no reason not to release the complete Rapid City concert on the FTD label!
Last edited by thenexte on Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:31 pm

JerryNodak wrote:Should it be released? Yes. In the best quality possible so that those who want it can have it. Will I buy it? No. I watched it on CBS back in '77.
Once was enough.

Now if FTD was to upgrade/redo the album then I'd be interested.

If FTD wanted to do something with the EIC material, one idea would be to issue the Rapid City show remixed, remastered and without Felton's edits and overdubs. If a deal was worked out with EPE, maybe a bonus DVD disc of some footage could be included. However, considering FTD just issued a soundboard from 77, it would seem that Ernst won't visit 77 again for awhile.

As collectors and fans, people want to own the footage or have access to it, but for anyone to think that a mass commercial release of EIC would benefit the Elvis Presley legacy in any positive way is not dealing with reality.

You have to love these EIC debates.... :smt023

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:43 pm

As a special edition: Y-E-S-!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: O.S. :lol: