All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:41 am

carolynlm wrote:Can someone please decipher this for me.....
after 'The Hippie Element (is that what it says?) what is next.....?
'SPS'? I can't read it properly....
thanks...

Also, I think people are tending to mix up things as far as interviews etc go......Elvis was asked about the war protestors etc and that was when he said he would rather keep his views to himself (smart man) then the interviewer asked if others should do the same thing....and his answer was 'No'...is that how it went....?
I think most people at that time thought the interviewer was referring to Jane Fonda, but her name was never mentioned. It was just assumed.
AAAAHHH, there goes that word 'assumption' again.....the word most widely used in the Elvis World.....

hippie elements...the SDS
SDS=Students for a Democratic Society

Cryo....sorry for any spelling mistakes

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:45 pm

You have entered .... The Twilight Zone

carolynlm wrote:Elvis was asked about the war protestors etc and that was when he said he would rather keep his views to himself (smart man) then the interviewer asked if others should do the same thing....and his answer was 'No'...is that how it went....?

"No" (pun intended)

Elvis' full response was: "No ... I can't even say that."

But in "This Is Elvis", they deliberately edited it down to just "No", completely changing the nature and content of his response.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:48 am

It is common knowledge for hardcore fans that EP had some strong negative reactions towards Fonda and was critical of some of The Beatles (especially Lennon / drug use).

A number of the MMM's who were there will confirm stories.

--------------------

The Nixon meeting was to serve a purpose for both parties, otherwise, it never would have happened in the first place:

Nixon wanted to use EP as a "channel" (pun intended) to gain credibility with the youth culture ............... and EP wanted his toy badge.

EP's letter was a way to get his foot in the door (Nixon's brilliant PR strategist suggested that a meeting w/ EP would benefit Nixon, after reading EP's letter). (IMO, EP's letter is just as bizarre as his comments in the White House were later.)

EP later schmoozed his way into a meeting in the Oval by saying things he knew would score points to gain access (w/ Krogh - Nixon's aide - ultimately gaining the approval of Nixon's Chief of Staff.)

Once in the Oval, EP surprised both Nixon and Krogh by labelling The Beatles as "anti-American." EP's remarks took both Nixon & Krogh by surprise.

EP demonstrated tangential flight of thoughts and was jumping around to unrelated topics ..................... trying to say anything that he thought Nixon would approve of. (Krogh also noted that EP was scratching himself a lot - earlier - & complained that he had a "rash.")

Sorry, folks, ........ but all indications are that EP was a bit high during that time.

EP admired The Beatles' music, but was battling his own demons regarding the Drug Culture (as I've stated a number of times already, .... he was psychologically projecting, reaction forming, etc.). A druggie criticizing The Drug movement and all who took part ..... is the height of hypocrisy and denial. Getting a "DEA" badge, ironically, ....... served as yet another pillar to reinforce EP's delusions.

--------------------

Ironically, ............ there is another connection to critical thinking here ...... and those unable to exercise it (from Presley .............. all the way to The White House.)

Like I said, ......... the issues go pretty deep on this topic - for those able to see. Some of those with the most blurred vision / thinking ..... will merely laugh it off / dismiss.

Once again, take care all.

N8

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:00 am

N8, was the rash the fabled reaction to Codeine that Cole and Thompson (the ABC TV investigators)fingered as the cause of death in "The Death Of Elvis"??

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:07 am

how did i KNOW that this thread would make djc reemerge.

back on the quackery topic--

there's the story of one of elvis' weight loss attempts pre-aloha was by injecting pregnant woman's urine. this has all the markings of 'fad' written on it. so here's my question: was it scientifically sound as in not completely a quack fad, or was it fully quackery?

there have historically been just about every kind of seemingly odd practices and diets for weight loss, but this one always seemed one of the strangest to me.

this reminds me a bit of things like acupuncture (this one is still in use today), bleeding (obviously disproven as it killed more than it helped), etc...

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:20 am

Scatter wrote:N8, was the rash the fabled reaction to Codeine that Cole and Thompson (the ABC TV investigators)fingered as the cause of death in "The Death Of Elvis"??

Hard to say, Scatter, but I don't think so.

------------------------------

It was, nevertheless, ........... the "drug itch."

IMO, anaphylaxis to codeine is off the mark as far as EP's death goes. Codeine, did, however play a role, along w/ methaqualone.

Elvis' Babe -

EP was indeed susceptible to diet fads ......... and many others.

There are people who still drink their own urine for health reasons.

In answer to your question: No, there is nothing "sound" about any of these practices.

Quackery plays on fear, depends on ignorance, ...... and caters to hope.

Without education and critical thinking .......... all are susceptible (all strata of society.)

All my best.

N8

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:30 am

Thanks N8..........when you mentioned the "itch", that was the first thing that popped into my head as to allergies.

I don't know what a "drug itch" is.............but I'm pretty sure I'm glad of that :lol:

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:40 am

Scatter wrote:Thanks N8..........when you mentioned the "itch", that was the first thing that popped into my head as to allergies.

I don't know what a "drug itch" is.............but I'm pretty sure I'm glad of that :lol:

Drug itch (one kind) = Narcotic / Opioid abuse.

(See TCB Oath Thread in Picture Section for related info. on narcotic abuse, & ironically ..... another letter.)

N8
Last edited by N880EP on Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:41 am

Will do........thanks!!

Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:53 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:how did i KNOW that this thread would make djc reemerge.

back on the quackery topic--

there's the story of one of elvis' weight loss attempts pre-aloha was by injecting pregnant woman's urine. this has all the markings of 'fad' written on it. so here's my question: was it scientifically sound as in not completely a quack fad, or was it fully quackery?

there have historically been just about every kind of seemingly odd practices and diets for weight loss, but this one always seemed one of the strangest to me.

this reminds me a bit of things like acupuncture (this one is still in use today), bleeding (obviously disproven as it killed more than it helped), etc...

Elvis' Babe, that sounds awful!
There was no easy way for dieting or trying to lose weight back then. I remember actually jogging with a garbage bag over my chest and stomach to try to lose weight. The easiest way was getting prescribed speed from your doctor.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:09 am

Joe Car wrote:There was no easy way for dieting or trying to lose weight back then. I remember actually jogging with a garbage bag over my chest and stomach to try to lose weight. The easiest way was getting prescribed speed from your doctor.

Joe, please clarify for our European members that the garbage bag was a new one so they don't have an image of you jogging down the road trailed by a multitude of cats. :)

Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:12 am

here's my favorite historical human obsession: the quest for eternal youth.

today it has morphed into plastic surgery, but at one time people were searching for the fountain of youth, etc... i mean, florida was discovered because ponce de león was searching for the fountain of youth.

or let's take a look at one of my favorite historical sickos--báthory erzsébet a.k.a. elizabeth báthory. she was taking young girls from the village in hungary and having them tortured and bled, then she would bathe in their blood to retain her youth.

the thing that doesn't get told is that people have these insecurities often because of the world around them. things like the quest for weight loss or to improve one's looks, or to retain youth have destroyed people.

coincidently, the same year as the "fat and 40" headline was the year elvis had a little work on his eyelids/forehead.

normal people who aren't in the public eye and aren't criticized by the entirety of humanity have enough trouble trying to fit into the ideals of beauty set up by the society. and one wonders why watching celebritydom is like watching a train wreck. these are normal people pushed into a very unnatural position.

and there are extremes--in roman times and also found generously throughout classically-influenced art, beautiful women don't look like twiggy. at the time beauty was a woman who was healthy enough to bear children and the more weight you had, generally the more food you had to eat, meaning you had some wealth. then you have groups like the spartans who were the obsessive muscular bodybuilders of the day. i have seen so many examples through medieval, baroque, rococo, etc... art of people who are shown with double chins and the nude women (in the frequent classically influenced art of the day) are always voluptuous (fat by today's standards) all over, etc... it is like in elizabethan times where women actually shaved their foreheads to look more like the queen with her high forehead--at the time it was a desirable trait of beauty.

then you have elvis' eras... in the '60s/'70s it was the era of looking like twiggy--thin was in, muscular and voluptuous was out. and this is after the '50s where you had women like marilyn monroe and jane russell--neither of whom were shrinking violets--marilyn by hollywood standards isn't a small woman and jane was significantly bigger than her. today elvis' lowest weight of 168 pounds at his height would be considered extremely skinny. today, at least for males, has switched back to guys with more of a build. but for women, it has continued to get even worse with being thin is in. and the women in hollywood today who do have any chest at all, a significant amount of them have had implants. it is very difficult to reach those levels of skinniness without a woman losing a lot of the characteristics of a woman built for childrearing--which happens to be the purpose of the female body. for guys--the '60s/'70s blip is one of the stranger ones for male beauty, as male beauty, while generally in-shape, isn't usually without muscle either.

then again, 250-300 years ago, the castrati were the rockstars of the day and treated like royalty--and they had legions of female fans. this is a time were femininity was in for men, especially among the aristocrats.

then it swung back around to masculinity being in with a very macho image. and we are currently in a period with both masculinity and femininity characteristics as desirable for men. you have a constituency who is pushing for guys in the media who look very girlish--especially aimed at teens, and the backlash of the more traditional alpha male look.

look at the '80s for women--it was all about seeming like a masculinized career woman with huge shoulder pads and hair that looked like it had been electrocuted by too many perms and the blow dryer. it was all about looking big. even the clothes were cut masculinely for females.

you also have different periods of young is in, old is in. in the powdered wig days, white wigs were the most preferred because white hair is symbolic of older age. children were dressed much like smaller versions of the adults. in the early part of the 20th century, children acting mature and acting adult was still very in. it was in fact the rock'n'roll era where youth became the new fad, and that much hasn't left.

at one time, as soon as you reached puberty you were an adult, expected to marry, have children, and act like an adult. today, prolonged youth is so extreme where a lot of people don't begin to be seen as adults until they are about 30. which is why the very common marriage age of 17 or so, seems very strange to us today.

...just some thoughts.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:27 am

Pete Dube wrote:
Joe Car wrote:There was no easy way for dieting or trying to lose weight back then. I remember actually jogging with a garbage bag over my chest and stomach to try to lose weight. The easiest way was getting prescribed speed from your doctor.

Joe, please clarify for our European members that the garbage bag was a new one so they don't have an image of you jogging down the road trailed by a multitude of cats. :)

:lol:

Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:30 pm

Elvis' Babe wrote:here's my favorite historical human obsession: the quest for eternal youth.

today it has morphed into plastic surgery, but at one time people were searching for the fountain of youth, etc... i mean, florida was discovered because ponce de león was searching for the fountain of youth.

or let's take a look at one of my favorite historical sickos--báthory erzsébet a.k.a. elizabeth báthory. she was taking young girls from the village in hungary and having them tortured and bled, then she would bathe in their blood to retain her youth.

the thing that doesn't get told is that people have these insecurities often because of the world around them. things like the quest for weight loss or to improve one's looks, or to retain youth have destroyed people.

coincidently, the same year as the "fat and 40" headline was the year elvis had a little work on his eyelids/forehead.

normal people who aren't in the public eye and aren't criticized by the entirety of humanity have enough trouble trying to fit into the ideals of beauty set up by the society. and one wonders why watching celebritydom is like watching a train wreck. these are normal people pushed into a very unnatural position.

and there are extremes--in roman times and also found generously throughout classically-influenced art, beautiful women don't look like twiggy. at the time beauty was a woman who was healthy enough to bear children and the more weight you had, generally the more food you had to eat, meaning you had some wealth. then you have groups like the spartans who were the obsessive muscular bodybuilders of the day. i have seen so many examples through medieval, baroque, rococo, etc... art of people who are shown with double chins and the nude women (in the frequent classically influenced art of the day) are always voluptuous (fat by today's standards) all over, etc... it is like in elizabethan times where women actually shaved their foreheads to look more like the queen with her high forehead--at the time it was a desirable trait of beauty.

then you have elvis' eras... in the '60s/'70s it was the era of looking like twiggy--thin was in, muscular and voluptuous was out. and this is after the '50s where you had women like marilyn monroe and jane russell--neither of whom were shrinking violets--marilyn by hollywood standards isn't a small woman and jane was significantly bigger than her. today elvis' lowest weight of 168 pounds at his height would be considered extremely skinny. today, at least for males, has switched back to guys with more of a build. but for women, it has continued to get even worse with being thin is in. and the women in hollywood today who do have any chest at all, a significant amount of them have had implants. it is very difficult to reach those levels of skinniness without a woman losing a lot of the characteristics of a woman built for childrearing--which happens to be the purpose of the female body. for guys--the '60s/'70s blip is one of the stranger ones for male beauty, as male beauty, while generally in-shape, isn't usually without muscle either.

then again, 250-300 years ago, the castrati were the rockstars of the day and treated like royalty--and they had legions of female fans. this is a time were femininity was in for men, especially among the aristocrats.

then it swung back around to masculinity being in with a very macho image. and we are currently in a period with both masculinity and femininity characteristics as desirable for men. you have a constituency who is pushing for guys in the media who look very girlish--especially aimed at teens, and the backlash of the more traditional alpha male look.

look at the '80s for women--it was all about seeming like a masculinized career woman with huge shoulder pads and hair that looked like it had been electrocuted by too many perms and the blow dryer. it was all about looking big. even the clothes were cut masculinely for females.

you also have different periods of young is in, old is in. in the powdered wig days, white wigs were the most preferred because white hair is symbolic of older age. children were dressed much like smaller versions of the adults. in the early part of the 20th century, children acting mature and acting adult was still very in. it was in fact the rock'n'roll era where youth became the new fad, and that much hasn't left.

at one time, as soon as you reached puberty you were an adult, expected to marry, have children, and act like an adult. today, prolonged youth is so extreme where a lot of people don't begin to be seen as adults until they are about 30. which is why the very common marriage age of 17 or so, seems very strange to us today.

...just some thoughts.

What has any of this got to do with Elvis? Why don't you try the Off Topic section when posting stuff like this?

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:18 am

Elvis' Babe -

I appreciated your thoughts, ............ my thanks.

(Btw, ......... they are not OFF-TOPIC.)

Respectfully,

N8

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:13 am

I have a connection with the No 8 as well....

out of a 12 pack of doughnuts I eat 8 of them(at one sitting) and leave the other 4 for the rest of the family!!! :oops:

8)

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:21 am

N880EP wrote:Elvis' Babe -

I appreciated your thoughts, ............ my thanks.

(Btw, ......... they are not OFF-TOPIC.)

Respectfully,

N8

Ditto EB!! Thanks for the thoughtful posting.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:21 am

sam wrote:I have a connection with the No 8 as well....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

out of a 12 pack of doughnuts I eat 8 of them(at one sitting) and leave the other 4 for the rest of the family!!! :oops:

8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:15 am

Sam wrote:
out of a 12 pack of doughnuts I eat 8 of them(at one sitting) and leave the other 4 for the rest of the family!!!

So you eat 8 donuts at a sitting. You know what the past tense of eat is don't you?..........ate........ This is just getting scarey.