All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:05 am

Ah ... trust the wonderful Promocollector to spin everything out of context!

Elvis' Babe: tremendous post.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:09 am

It's your constant use of the word "hippie" throughout a lot of you poststhat i find disturbing, it's as if "hippies" as you put it can't be upstanding and responsible people. "Hippies" aren't to blame for your countries issues nor are any other group of individuals.

Elvis' Babe wrote:
as for the beatles--nothing i said was false.

Your statement that i quoted was/is totally incorrect!

For someone that said "who am i to judge?" you sure do a lot of it!

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:14 am

Cryogenic wrote:Ah ... trust the wonderful Promocollector to spin everything out of context!

So i take it you agree then that the Beatles persuaded a generation to take drugs as has been claimed? Obviously you do!
Last edited by Promocollector on Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:16 am

so all the guys with gray/white long beards and hippie wear that i went to go see lord of the rings with in OJAI, CALIFORNIA weren't hippies? lol. they still have teepee communities up there. my sister-in-law's mother used to live in a teepee. (i have slightly entertaining extended family.)

don't think for a second that the hippies just disappeared after the '60s.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:27 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:so all the guys with gray/white long beards and hippie wear that i went to go see lord of the rings with in OJAI, CALIFORNIA weren't hippies? lol. they still have teepee communities up there. my sister-in-law's mother used to live in a teepee. (i have slightly entertaining extended family.)

don't think for a second that the hippies just disappeared after the '60s.

My point is why do they bother you so much, live and let live.You will never be happy if you keep blaming "hippies" for issues. You are young, look after yourself and don't worry about anybody else.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:39 am

Promocollector wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:Ah ... trust the wonderful Promocollector to spin everything out of context!

So i take it you agree then that the Beatles persuaded a generation to take drugs as has been claimed? Obviously you do!

The verb that Elvis' Babe used was "inspire"[d], not "persuade"[d]. There's a difference. Quite a big one.

And I took her comments on Elvis and his "Jesus complex" as an honest assessment of the psychology he was given through birth / childhood and the one that ballooned with his fame and isolation in adulthood. I don't think Elvis' Babe was actually condoning Elvis' behaviour; just telling it like it is.

carolynlm wrote:I might also be a good idea to keep a portion of your families history to yourself....I would be just a tad upset if my daughter were to spread out our dirty laundry on a public forum.

Why are you telling someone else how to post? I take Elvis' Babe's stories in the spirit they're meant -- honest, entertaining reveals / critiques of other people. Blood might be thicker than water, but that doesn't and shouldn't chain someone to abject loyalty in the face of abject nuttiness. I have some nutty family members, too. Although I wouldn't necessarily divulge details on the net, it's all about context, and Elvis' Babe routinely spills details about herself, so why should her relations be exempt? It's not like she's coming out with pictures or names and addresses.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:45 am

Promocollector you are like Cryogenic said taking a few things out of
context as to what Elvis'Babe meant....

Or at least what I believe she meant in the post I read....
which you commented on...

With respect to the Beatles anyone with an ounce of common
sense knows the Beatles didn't lets say force or inject drugs
per say into anyone...they did this all on their own....

I doubt Elvis' Babe was suggesting this....

However, the Beatles are to blame if that's the right word
by default...because whatever they did in their personal lives
and in public, people in general who followed them
wanted to do exactly what they were doing....an
in return followed like sheep...

No different then any religion.....

Now don't take this wrong or out of context if you feel I'm not explaining
this correctly, as I'm sure all of us know the times were changing...an
still continue to change with each generation....an maybe
with or without the Beatles people during the 60's would have
ended talking drugs openly on there own, however Rock groups
at the time were doing it, so in return everyone thought it was cool...

You were from planet 9 if you still wore your hair like Elvis
and dressed like he dressed.....in the 60's, meaning you didn't feel
that way if you were pushing 30..or your late 20's..but for a great
number of teenager's of the time Elvis was dead for the time being....
So had very little influence....not to say that he wanted to anyway...

Musicians continue to play an important roll as to how people dress,
how they wear their hair, how they talk, how they even think
sometimes...the ones that are the most popular are the ones of
course which have the most influence...

People are going to do more of what they feel the group
(meaning not rock group)as a whole
are doing, especially teenagers, because you become the odd
one out if your not following along......

When groups like the Beatles and the Stones or whom ever
were popular with the teenagers, whatever Elvis was doing
wasn't as cool....

Now as far as judging her family I don't think she was doing
that she was just using her family as a example....nothing more...

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:06 am, edited 6 times in total.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:55 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:they also persuaded a legion to do drugs and stone out an entire generation..

Cryogenic wrote:The verb that Elvis' Babe used was "inspire"[d], not "persuade"[d]. There's a difference. Quite a big one.

There is a difference, but as i have quoted the word was persuade not inspire:roll: :roll:

Read and learn :lol:
Last edited by Promocollector on Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:58 am

Promocollector wrote:
Elvis' Babe wrote:they also persuaded a legion to do drugs and stone out an entire generation..

Cryogenic wrote:The verb that Elvis' Babe used was "inspire"[d], not "persuade"[d]. There's a difference. Quite a big one.

There is a difference, but as i have quoted the word was persuade not inspire. :roll: :roll:

Read and learn :lol:

Fair enough I'm sure a slip of the tongue or the keyboard
by mistake.... :wink:

PEP 8)

Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:00 am

one needs to also take into consideration of my background of heavy group psychiatry where nothing was sacred--that dirty laundry was told to at least a few dozen girls who had worse dirty laundry than me by a longshot. i speak my mind because it is second nature to me--i am blunt and say exactly what i mean when the right words come. i have one face--me. that part of my journey from isolated victim who would cry if someone touched my hair to survivor didn't just dissipate into the ether. and if it helps inspire somebody in the process, then bonus points for me.

thanks, cryo and pep. you definitely understood how i intended it to be understood.

moving on, now...

and i did mean inspired. that was my intended context.

though the line can be blurry between persuade and inspire--especially when the intent is foggy... is a group singing a song about lsd, when the band KNOWS they have fans out there who are hanging on their every lyric and word... is the difference between persuasion and inspiration not a bit foggier? if they were purely writing for their own enjoyment, it would be a life experience that they are sharing. if they intend or are counting on their audience to pick up on their message, then is it not calling out for a type of persuasion disguised as inspiration? it depends upon just how hyper-aware they all were with the affects they had upon their audience. idolatry's tiniest nuances and interpretations can be persuasive when you have people who start believing it is more than what it appears.

the dangerous part about messages is that somebody's interpretation will differ from the next... and that inspiration can persuade them to act. the beatles learned that the hard way.
Last edited by Elvis' Babe on Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:08 am

PEP wrote:However, the Beatles are to blame if that's the right word
by default...because whatever they did in their personal lives
and in public, people in general who followed them
wanted to do exactly what they were doing....an
in return followed like sheep...

PEP 8)

I have to disagree with you on this one PEP 8)

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:14 am

Several added observations, since I'm here:

1. I see this is actually heading for 8 pages ............. and there are also many hidden 8's lurking around (octagons, double 8's, etc.) ...... all foretold (mind you).

2. PEP: I mentioned very early on in this thread how this kind of stuff eventually relegated even "The Music" to secondary status; many are unable to see the connection - to this, & other things.

Also, yes, I see the humour w/ some of the posters, ........... but, quite frankly, ....... it goes much deeper than that w/ those doing it (for those able to see).

3. I agree with pretty much all that "Elvis' Babe" is stating, and would like to add --------> Belief in quackery, mysticism, & superstition ........... is indeed "normal" to varying degrees throughout the world ........ it is as "normal" as being human. Consequences have, do, and are ............. arise from this ............. and the object lesson / take home message ..... is that credulity is harmful ............. and even kills (eg: when the quackery is in the realm of Alternative Medicine, Faith Healing - also, see my remarks on the same below as related to EP, ....... etc.).

This kind of stuff is part of the very fabric of society, always has been. It reaches & touches all strata of people, in all cultures. It also has very dangerous consequences for society as a whole & Nations. I have a foreboding about my own country regarding the pervasiveness of this kind of stuff - which has been waxing imperceptibly to most, for years.

Btw, .......... EP believed he had healing "powers" and even had a "Medicine Ring" that he wore to "channel" them. Some of the MMM's laughed themselves right out of the room when EP actually went to go "heal" somebody. The individual he supposedly "healed", later, admitted that they didn't want to hurt EP's feelings ........... so just went along with it. Take a moment to consider the different direction some of this might have taken if more of those around EP had been more indulging / manipulative (which brings us to #3 ....).

3. Geller, for those who do not know well, .......... is a self-promoting scumbag. A con-man. Period. He has misrepresented & overblown both, EP's history and most of all, his own role in it. In reality, ..... it really is quite hilarious for those able to see.

EP had the tendencies & leanings toward this kind of stuff long before he ever met Geller. Geller just encouraged it for his own gain; in fact, The Col. & others served as a necessary counter-balance to Geller's manipulations. What Geller doesn't know, is that he was just one of many.

4. Lastly, .......... YES, EP also "believed" that The Beatles had a lot to answer for in encouraging the "Drug Movement." A lot his feelings, & his commets to Nixon privately, .................. all stemmed from psychological projection & reaction formation defense mechanisms on EP's part, re: The Beatles.

------------------------------

In closing (for me at least): There are a lot of very complex issues going on in this discussion. Those unable to see deeper quickly dismiss.

It takes time, a desire to learn & educate oneself, ........... but some can or may eventually see ......... ironically, when they are able to. It's up to each individual to make the effort.

-----------------------------

Hope this helps further, .......... since I was here to clarify some things on some other threads, anyway.

Once again, take care, all.

Glad the discussion turned back into something of substance - which is why I added the above thoughts.

N8

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:48 am

Hey Folks..

There is just one thing to say to this thread, and I hope EB, won't mind Me butting in here.... COMPASSION.

EB is on what is known as the Autistic Syndrome Spectrum Scale..all be it Aspergers Syndrome which is at the HIGHER level of the scale.

When Someone who is on that Scale reads something in a Magazine or a Book for instance or is told something, they take that knowledge as FACT.

This is what has been happening on quite a few posts recently and People are getting beat up about it.

BUT... there is also SOME on that Spectrum who are just born with FACTS..NUMBERS...DATA.. call it whatever You will..I think EB falls under that category.

There is NOTHING YOU, I or the good Lord above can change that.

EB DO NOT change for anything in this world whatsoever.

You are by far the most INTELLIGENT person on this MessageBoard NEVER forget that.

XO...Carol.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:48 am

btw--elvis did not just mention the beatles in his letter. that is often ignored. he also mentioned jane fonda and the black panthers by name. neither were in the music industry, and neither were directly interfering with his career. which is why the beatles vs. elvis defense mechanism stuff doesn't work quite so much.

frankly, i really think he was a conservative patriotic guy when it wasn't popular to be that. if anything--that letter to nixon came off very honest and filled with a very near child-like delight in writing to the president.

aww. little darlin'--you almost made me cry! thanks. i wouldn't go so far as call myself the most intelligent... i'm definitely intelligent, in a bizarro-way, but as for dry facts on ep, probably far from being the 'most' intelligent. if anything i am one of the little pocassimus bottom feeders who suck up everybody else's information. i'm closer to being the board's filing cabinet.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:31 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:btw--elvis did not just mention the beatles in his letter. that is often ignored. he also mentioned jane fonda and the black panthers by name. neither were in the music industry, and neither were directly interfering with his career. which is why the beatles vs. elvis defense mechanism stuff doesn't work quite so much.

Actually, EP didn't mention - per se - the Beatles in his letter, but referred to them as the "Hippie / Drug Element" (paraphrased).

However, he mentioned them privately in the White House & elaborated on his letter.

My comments re: EP's defense mechanisms pertained to The Beatles AND EP's drug use ........... not the music angle.

---------------------

Btw, ........ EB, ......... you are indeed a smart young lady. Keep your passions and always enjoy them whatever they may happen to be.

Best wishes, always.

Respectfully,

N8

Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:36 am

actually, i'm sorry, it was john lennon whom he mentioned specifically. he listed lennon in the bit with fonda and the panthers.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:42 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:actually, i'm sorry, it was john lennon whom he mentioned specifically. he listed lennon in the bit with fonda and the panthers.

That's My Girl :D

N8 You are never gonna win this 8)

NO DISRESPECT INTENDED WHATSOEVER :wink:

Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:52 am

I always thought a persons birth number was figured out by the date and year they were born, at least that's how it is done now days. Like mine 5261975, which would be an 8 for me. Elvis would have been a 9. I guess Elvis used a different method back then or it's been changed since then
Last edited by MattC on Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:07 am

The specific references in the actual letter were:

........ "The Drug Culture, The Hippie Elements, The SDS, The Black Panters, etc." ............

---------------------

As stated, ....... The Beatles & Fonda were focused on privately in discussions later.

---------------------

On that note: EP was projecting his own faults about his own drug use on to The Beatles & other "elements." A defense mechanism, by definition, is a subconscious act.

--------------------

Once again, all my best.

N8

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:00 am

hey, i never said i knew a lot about elvis. i said i was a bottom sucker file cabinet.

weird, because i swear i read something from the nixon meeting where lennon and fonda were specifically mentioned. was it a description of the meeting perhaps?

admittedly this has been at least a year since i looked at anything regarding this meeting--it has been at least that long since we've discussed it here. but i remember those names coming up at some point in relation to this story.

as for promocollector--i'll take you on in egyptology any time. :lol: let's start with 'what was the narmer palate?' you don't like that one. how about 'which country was ramses II taken to to treat his remains for fungus, and he received a military salute at the airport?'... or how about 'what was the name of ramses II's first born son who is possibly the first born son in the exodus?'

or on another topic--name all 6 wives of henry VIII and his 3 children--give me the fates of all of them. give me the full birthname of mozart. give me the name of the chief executioner of the romanovs. how about the names of the family members in age-order and how old they were when each died, and who was present at the execution. what were beethoven's favorite foods? recite to me from memory, edgar allan poe's annabel lee.

or here's one that cryo probably would know: what kind of freighter is the millennium falcon?

i'm sure there are plenty of things i know that you don't and i am sure there are gobs of things you know that i don't. that doesn't make me stupid or you superior and vice versa.

but hey, if you want me to start the wacky trivia contest thread in off-topic, just ask.

if anything i was humble on my vague knowledge of specifics regarding elvis. and thank you n8 for being mature about this. it has been a big headache day today from things not having to do with here, so i'm off.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:38 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:
as for promocollector--i'll take you on in egyptology any time. :lol: let's start with 'what was the narmer palate?' you don't like that one. how about 'which country was ramses II taken to to treat his remains for fungus, and he received a military salute at the airport?'... or how about 'what was the name of ramses II's first born son who is possibly the first born son in the exodus?'

or on another topic--name all 6 wives of henry VIII and his 3 children--give me the fates of all of them. give me the full birthname of mozart. give me the name of the chief executioner of the romanovs. how about the names of the family members in age-order and how old they were when each died, and who was present at the execution. what were beethoven's favorite foods? recite to me from memory, edgar allan poe's annabel lee.

or here's one that cryo probably would know: what kind of freighter is the millennium falcon?

i'm sure there are plenty of things i know that you don't and i am sure there are gobs of things you know that i don't. that doesn't make me stupid or you superior and vice versa.

but hey, if you want me to start the wacky trivia contest thread in off-topic, just ask.

if anything i was humble on my vague knowledge of specifics regarding elvis. and thank you n8 for being mature about this. it has been a big headache day today from things not having to do with here, so i'm off.

No problem eb, I would be the first to admit my limited knowledge on Elvis, as can be seen from my 400 posts 4 yrs :lol: I have no doubt you have your knowledge, you can teach me about Egypt and i could teach you a few things about Electrical engineering. :)

Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:32 am

Elvis' Babe wrote: ...... thank you n8 for being mature about this.

You're very welcome.

Yes, The Beatles / Fonda were mentioned in a description of the meeting by some of those who were actually there. Some of them are still around today, for those who want to do follow-up.

I think your knowledge bank is wonderful; you have my respect & admiration for your passion of Learning & information ----> it will serve you well in life, ...... and ironically, ........ many here would be better served to follow your example in life.

All my best, always.

N8

-------------------------------------

LittleDarlin wrote:N8 You are never gonna win this

Not sure what you mean:

If you are referencing EB, ...... you're off the mark.

If you are referencing The Battle Against Pseudoscience ........... then, I wholeheartedly agree. At most, I can only hope to open a few eyes, ........ but like I said, it is ultimately up to each individual as a person to do the rest.

--------------------------------------

I see page #8 is a on the horizon ................... so, I'd better take my leave ....................... it is a harbinger. (wink!)

--------------------------------------

Adios!

N8

PS - Anybody got any salt? Does it go over the right or left shoulder? Any help would be appreciated.

Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:27 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:weird, because i swear i read something from the nixon meeting where lennon and fonda were specifically mentioned ... admittedly this has been at least a year since i looked at anything regarding this meeting--it has been at least that long since we've discussed it here.

Less than a year, actually.

What is "weird" is someone who utters falsehoods, again and again and again, about the content of Elvis' letter to Nixon:

January 2006: Elvis, Tina (& Ike)

February 2006: Presidential visit

April 2006: Why The Attack On The Beatles, In His Letter To Nixon?!

Why? Far keener minds are welcome to unravel this mystery.

-----

It is quite easily accessible online:

Elvis Presley's Letter To President Richard Nixon

Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:37 am

I see a whole page from this thread has been deleted something must have been said out of line...sorry to see this happen people I thought things were going well..... :evil:

PEP 8)

Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis' Babe wrote:weird, because i swear i read something from the nixon meeting where lennon and fonda were specifically mentioned ... admittedly this has been at least a year since i looked at anything regarding this meeting--it has been at least that long since we've discussed it here.

Less than a year, actually.

What is "weird" is someone who utters falsehoods, again and again and again, about the content of Elvis' letter to Nixon:

January 2006: Elvis, Tina (& Ike)

February 2006: Presidential visit

April 2006: Why The Attack On The Beatles, In His Letter To Nixon?!

Why? Far keener minds are welcome to unravel this mystery.

-----

It is quite easily accessible online:

Elvis Presley's Letter To President Richard Nixon

Unbelieveble. Hope she will get it this time...