All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Does anyone know about what the number 8 meant to Elvis?

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:46 pm

I was just watching the DVD Elvis by the Presley's
for like the 100th time :lol: , an I just came up to the
part where they are talking about Elvis being involved
with Numerology, an Jerry Schilling mentions
Elvis said of him, (Meaning Schilling) was a 6
and he said Elvis said that he himself
(meaning Elvis) was a number 8....

Schilling goes on to say the number 8
for Elvis was very Dark in the sense
that it pointed out basically or suggested
Leadership was one part of what the
number 8 meant for Elvis, but also that
because of this number 8 he would have
a tragic life plus would end up having
a short life....

Have any of you followed Numerology?

Do any of you know how many more details
Elvis would have read about himself as being
a Number 8?

No motive here other than curiosity.....

PEP 8)

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:54 pm

There is a book called Cheiro's Book of Numbers which I think Elvis took number 8 info from.

Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:41 pm

I'm a number four myself. I used to be a number six, but I went on a diet. :wink:

Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:29 pm

Well, its abit of a shame that Elvis didnt do 8 complete takes of 'Rubberneckin' :lol: :lol:

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:38 pm

Yeah I'm a number seven, and as a general rule number seven's don't believe in that numeralogy crap. :D

Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:54 pm

August is 8th month
8+8=16 August 16

no numerology is crap :)

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:44 pm

Narek wrote:8
August is 8th month
8+8=16 August 16

no numerology is crap :)

If that has any particular significance...then when do people born on any date past 12 die...for example Dec 12 99 :?:

OOH

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:47 pm

I need to go for a number 2!!

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:52 pm

Elvis was also born on the 8th day of a month.

Essentially: it's all fallacious mythologising / mumbo jumbo / quackery / empty bullcrap.

But maybe it became something of a SELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY for Elvis.

P.S. The stones / symbols on the Aztec calendar on the back of the eponymous jumpsuit are also arranged in 8's and 16's.

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:56 pm

I was a number 4, but now I'm a number 4,000.......my diet didn't work out.

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:15 pm

I got this from astrology-numerolgy.com. I don't know enough about numerolgy to comment about whether or not I believe in it, but it's been around for centuries in various forms, and is no more, or less believable than astrology, or generally believing in the fact your life is mapped out - destinty as such. Anyway, a serious answer to a serious question. I highlight in bold some particularly relevant bits.

8 (8, 17/8, 26/8, 35/8)
The Life Path 8 suggests that you entered this plane armed to lead, direct, organize and govern. You are very ambitious and goal-oriented. You will want to use your ambitions, your organizational ability, and your efficient approach to carve a satisfying niche for yourself. If you are a positive 8 you are endowed with tremendous potential for conceiving far-reaching schemes and ideas, and also possessing the tenacity and independence to follow them through to completion. In short, you were born to be an executive.

You know how to manage yourself and your environment. Your ability to judge the character and potential of the people around you is an asset used to your advantage. A large part of your success in life comes from how hard you work. This Life Path is the most prone to producing workaholics. But your ability to spot good people and engage them in your endeavors is a special trait not to be overlooked. There is an inspirational quality in your makeup which allows you to become a great leader. You are practical and steady in your pursuit of major objectives, and you have the courage of your convictions when it comes to taking the necessary chances to get ahead.

With the Life Path of the number 8 you are focused on learning the satisfactions to be found in the material world. The Life Path 8 produces many powerful, confident and materially successful people. Most of your concerns involve money and learning of the power that comes with its proper manipulation.

This Life Path is perhaps the one that is the most concerned with and desirous of status as an ultimate measure of success. You want to be recognized for your hard work and achievements. The attainment of honors and acceptance into the club of executive leadership is all important. For this, you may find yourself very well suited to compete in the business world or in the political arena.

In relationships, you are frank, honest, and steadfast. You may be very much in love, but watch that you are not too busy and preoccupied to show it. Being the lavish provider is not always an adequate substitute for showing your devotion and affection in more personal ways. You have a great need for close personal relationships to mitigate and somehow soften your nature. You must find the time for love and keep it as an important project in your life.

The negative 8 can be dictatorial and often suppresses the enthusiasm and efforts of fellow member of the environment. Often, the strength of their own personality excludes close feelings for other people with whom they come in contact. Material gains and rewards often become issues of utmost importance, even to the neglect of family, home and peace of mind. Dedication to success can become an obsession. Emotional feelings are often suppressed by the negative 8, resulting in isolation and loneliness. All Life Path 8 people must avoid discounting the opinions of others.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:11 am

I personally don't hold too much water to
things like this myself, but nonetheless
sometimes it is interesting to read what
some get out of this or rather what it could
mean to them....

In Elvis' case he took some of what he read
to heart.....

In any event thanks DarrylMac for taking the time to
look this up..... :wink: an thanks guys for the little bit
of humour added to the thread...funny stuff :lol:

PEP 8)

Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:18 am

I was born on the eighth (8) day of the fifth month!

Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:27 am

(underlined parts from) Cheiro's book of numbers:

The Number 8 stands in symbolism for the planet Saturn. This number influences all persons on the 8th, 17th, 26th in any month, but still more so if their birthday comes between the 21st December and 26th January, which period is called the House of Saturn (Positive)..These people are invariably much misunderstood in their lives and perhaps for this reason they feel intensively lonely at heart.

These number 8 people are either great successes or great failures; there appears to be no happy medium in their case.

The 'lucky' colors are all shade of dark grey, black, dark blue and purple.

The Number 8 is difficult to explain. It represents two worlds, the material and the spiritual. All persons who have the Number 8 clearly associated with their lives feel that they are different from their fellows. At heart they are lonely, they are misunderstood and they seldom reap the reward for the good they may do while they are living.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:15 am

"I John, he saw mighty number wayyyy up in the middle of the sky"

Could someone explain this song to me... bucause I have know idea what the hell he is talking about! :lol: ...but I do like the song. :wink:

JEFF d
EAP fan

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:37 am

JEFF d wrote:"I John, he saw mighty number wayyyy up in the middle of the sky"

Could someone explain this song to me... bucause I have know idea what the hell he is talking about! :lol: ...but I do like the song. :wink:

JEFF d
EAP fan

I dont blame you for having no idea what the song is about Jeff.

I always thought the line was 'middle of the air' and not 'sky'. :lol: :lol:

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:59 am

If you think about it, anybody can make a case for any number if you really dig deep enough. It kind of reminds me of a psychic who takes several guesses about somebody, before finally finding something that connects with that person, in this case the number 8 connected with EP, through different examples.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:11 am

PEP wrote:I was just watching the DVD Elvis by the Presley's ................ just came up to the
part where they are talking about Elvis being involved
with Numerology, an Jerry Schilling mentions
Elvis said of him, (Meaning Schilling) was a 6
and he said Elvis said that he himself
(meaning Elvis) was a number 8....

This DVD, ...... is a warm-fuzzy-feely-good superficial piece of pap, that, unfortunately, ..... will appeal to most uncritically thinking of individuals (ie: lots).

It serves a purpose and has its place amongst Elvis lore, by fueling the MYTH & superstition that surrounds EP (& by default, the $$$-machine).

Some of it (the fuel) is spontaneous, but much of it is also intentional, ......... associated with the "Elvis is Alive" phenomenon (which EPE has a vested interest in keeping "alive"). In fact, it is a whole industry surrounding EP, in some cases carefully crafted & manipulated for a specific purpose.

EP, by the Beaulieu's is essentially a re-write of EP's life, .... one that EPE wishes to convey for legacy purposes (as well as its own).

In short, EP was a deep believer in mysticism, with Geller as one of its biggest cheerleaders (there were, however, others, both in and out of the entourage).

Beliefs in superstition are a perennial by-product of being "Human." It doesn't have to be this way, but will, unfortunately, .... as long as ignorance reigns.

Such beliefs reaffirm desires of what one wishes to be true .......... wishes disguised as facts; EP clutched on to numerology for the same reasons he clutched his crystals (eg: various types of his jewellery, etc.) ............ it served as a North-Star / support system in a harsh world that one feels they have no control over.

Any way you slice it, ......... pretty sad (for EP and others who still believe, today.)

PEP wrote:In Elvis' case he took some of what he read
to heart.....

I would make that an even stronger statement by saying that EP was obsessed w/ numerology.

It's a common theme in some of his personal books.

E-Cat wrote:(underlined parts from) Cheiro's book of numbers:

The Number 8 stands in symbolism for the planet Saturn. This number influences all persons on the 8th, 17th, 26th in any month, but still more so if their birthday comes between the 21st December and 26th January, which period is called the House of Saturn (Positive)..These people are invariably much misunderstood in their lives and perhaps for this reason they feel intensively lonely at heart.

These number 8 people are either great successes or great failures; there appears to be no happy medium in their case.

The 'lucky' colors are all shade of dark grey, black, dark blue and purple.

The Number 8 is difficult to explain. It represents two worlds, the material and the spiritual. All persons who have the Number 8 clearly associated with their lives feel that they are different from their fellows. At heart they are lonely, they are misunderstood and they seldom reap the reward for the good they may do while they are living.

All the above is an example of confirmational bias; looking for, seeing, & finding something (anything) that pertains to one as an individual.

If read carefully, it's easy to see that such nonsense is purposely so vague that it can virtually be made out to apply to anybody / any situation.

Such was the case w/ EP, and such is the case now w/ the fandom that wishes to see these things / associations.

(Btw, ....... EP carried extra copies of this particular book, w/ his favorite passages underlined, ......... and handed out to certain people who he thought receptive - feigned or otherwise.)

Cryogenic wrote:The stones / symbols on the Aztec calendar on the back of the eponymous jumpsuit are also arranged in 8's and 16's.

Sadly, ........ yes, ........ some of the fandom also places erroneous / wishful meaning on to some of EP's attire.

An excellent example, btw, ........ as to how knowledge does not always equate to wisdom.

--------------------------------

In answer to your question PEP, re: numerology:

It is a system of thought, from early human history, ........ long ago relegated to the borders of science (ie: from the time of Pythagoras).

The enterprise of Science itself grew out of mysticism / superstition. Those early remnants, vestiges of primitive thought, however, survive to this day in the form of pseudoscience ..................... (eg: numerology and many other things EP believed in) ............... which is essentially superstition dressed up in the robes of science to lend a superficial credence of authority (which, ironically, goes against the very core of Science itself.)

Hope this helps.

N8

PS - Regarding "Saturn" ---------> just to give some evidence that one can choose to "interpret" this kind of stuff any way they please:

Saturn is also the symbol of mistrust, suspicion, & evil. Why was this left out of the description? Because, it is not what one wants to hear, in this case. If somebody you hated were a "#8", ........... well, ........ I think most can see the point.

Numerology, like a lot of what EP read, ........... unfortunately, is a waste of time. One can choose to view the world in one of two fundamental ways --------> how it really is, ........... or how one wishes it to be. EP chose the latter ............ and paid a price for it ......... on multiple levels.

Guys & Gals, ......... pseudoscience ............... is harmful.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:46 am

N880 wrote: One can choose to view the world in one of two fundamental ways --------> how it really is, ........... or how one wishes it to be.

And who can say you can't do both? One can see the world the way it is, and has a vision on how it could be. Those are the few that try to make a difference in this world and make it better. And I think Elvis' problems are far more complex than seeing the world one way, and reading books on psuedosciences. These are more a symptom than a cause.

I agree with your summation of EBTP's dvd. I still await the so-called anthology set. Something to really write home about.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:57 am

I used to be '8'.

But I'd grown out of it by the time I was...... err...... nine.....

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:28 am

ColinB wrote:I used to be '8'.

But I'd grown out of it by the time I was...... err...... nine.....

I'll pay that :lol:!

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:33 am

ekenee wrote:N880 wrote: One can choose to view the world in one of two fundamental ways --------> how it really is, ........... or how one wishes it to be.

And who can say you can't do both? One can see the world the way it is, and has a vision on how it could be. Those are the few that try to make a difference in this world and make it better. And I think Elvis' problems are far more complex than seeing the world one way, and reading books on psuedosciences. These are more a symptom than a cause.

I'm afraid you're misunderstanding - completely - what I am saying:

The cause is indeed complex ----> a lack of critical faculties (with EP and the public at large.)

The consequences of this are the symptoms. You need not look any further than the deep denial that ultimately claimed EP in '77.

Furthermore, my comments about seeing the world how it really is pertains to using one's wishes as an excuse to exonerate them of the responsibility of having to actually do things to help themselves (ie: take action.)

carolynlm wrote:People will believe what they want to believe, and if this brings some comfort then so be it.

Not in all cases. In EP's case, he never harmed other people, only himself.

In yet other instances ........... you have individuals who by virtue of their religious beliefs deny the existence of "Germ Theory" and will refuse the administration of antibiotics to their children for infection, ....... instead, preferring to leave it up to prayer & God's will. In such cases, belief is harmful to other innocent people. (There are many other examples, too.)

carolynlm wrote:I just think that from an early age, Elvis felt he was special and maybe this was a legacy from Gladys, telling her boy he was special because he was the twin that had survived.....I may well be wrong, but Elvis kept looking for a reason.....if he found some comfort in his readings, then I don't begrudge him that.

I don't guffaw people who are not steeped in the methods of critical thinking, for it isn't their fault. It's a symptom of a deeper disease that society suffers from (and with it, future generations.)

N8

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:16 am

"Your focus determines your reality."

I have never found greater truth from a movie / movie series than "Star Wars". I thought I'd invoke it here based on the way the discussion has turned.

Incidentally: .........

Elvis was something of an "Anakin" figure, shackled by his passions, obsessed with dreams / superstition / place in life, and fearful of losing what he had; death of his mother also sent him into a tailspin.......

Colonel Parker was his "Palpatine"; a mysterious Machiavellian figure who erased his past, had former "apprentices", but worked up to Elvis -- his "Chosen One" -- and wanted to "rule the galaxy" with him, playing on his fears and limitations and lack of knowledge to control him.........

There was never a "Luke" figure in this story to truly reach Elvis. Sonny and Red West probably came the closest. (And I guess that now ties this in with another thread).

Elvis tried his best with what he had. No one here is looking down their nose at him. (If anyone is guilty of that, it would be Priscilla, the purveyor of all that is EPE today and spiritual heir to The Colonel). This is about context. About one's focus determining one's reality. To Elvis, these things were real and a genuine source of comfort, but that's because he didn't think critically; his focus was narrow. It's a trait that makes him precisely as human as the rest of us; nothing more, nothing less. None of us can know it all, and we all have different spheres of talent / skill. Would you have asked Elvis to design a space shuttle for you? No. But if he knew even a little more than he did, he might still be here today.

Bottom line: you can be objective about a thing without putting it down.

P.S. Don't read too deeply into my "Star Wars" comparison. I was attempting to bring some levity into the discussion -- depth cloaked in light humour / irony -- and was tying two of my loves / interests together (which I frequently do, for multiple reasons). Obviously, neither The Colonel or Elvis were evil, but they had their failings and their "Dark Sides", which they did give into to some extent, but it was Elvis that paid the higher price.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:49 am

A well known sound engineer told me about the bus ride back to the hotel after the Pittsburgh gig was delayed whilst he and EP stood outside in the sleet whilst EP banged on (and on) about numerology. The band was hanging out the windows of the bus playfully yelling "C'mon Ellllvvviiiiisssss". His girlfriend, from Mount Colah in Sydney was also present and into numerology which I understand sparked the conversation.

Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:26 pm

DarrylMac wrote:I got this from astrology-numerolgy.com. I don't know enough about numerolgy to comment about whether or not I believe in it, but it's been around for centuries in various forms, and is no more, or less believable than astrology, or generally believing in the fact your life is mapped out - destinty as such. Anyway, a serious answer to a serious question. I highlight in bold some particularly relevant bits.

8 (8, 17/8, 26/8, 35/8)
The Life Path 8 suggests that you entered this plane armed to lead, direct, organize and govern. You are very ambitious and goal-oriented. You will want to use your ambitions, your organizational ability, and your efficient approach to carve a satisfying niche for yourself. If you are a positive 8 you are endowed with tremendous potential for conceiving far-reaching schemes and ideas, and also possessing the tenacity and independence to follow them through to completion. In short, you were born to be an executive.

You know how to manage yourself and your environment. Your ability to judge the character and potential of the people around you is an asset used to your advantage. A large part of your success in life comes from how hard you work. This Life Path is the most prone to producing workaholics. But your ability to spot good people and engage them in your endeavors is a special trait not to be overlooked. There is an inspirational quality in your makeup which allows you to become a great leader. You are practical and steady in your pursuit of major objectives, and you have the courage of your convictions when it comes to taking the necessary chances to get ahead.

With the Life Path of the number 8 you are focused on learning the satisfactions to be found in the material world. The Life Path 8 produces many powerful, confident and materially successful people. Most of your concerns involve money and learning of the power that comes with its proper manipulation.

This Life Path is perhaps the one that is the most concerned with and desirous of status as an ultimate measure of success. You want to be recognized for your hard work and achievements. The attainment of honors and acceptance into the club of executive leadership is all important. For this, you may find yourself very well suited to compete in the business world or in the political arena.

In relationships, you are frank, honest, and steadfast. You may be very much in love, but watch that you are not too busy and preoccupied to show it. Being the lavish provider is not always an adequate substitute for showing your devotion and affection in more personal ways. You have a great need for close personal relationships to mitigate and somehow soften your nature. You must find the time for love and keep it as an important project in your life.

The negative 8 can be dictatorial and often suppresses the enthusiasm and efforts of fellow member of the environment. Often, the strength of their own personality excludes close feelings for other people with whom they come in contact. Material gains and rewards often become issues of utmost importance, even to the neglect of family, home and peace of mind. Dedication to success can become an obsession. Emotional feelings are often suppressed by the negative 8, resulting in isolation and loneliness. All Life Path 8 people must avoid discounting the opinions of others.

Where did you get thsi from. can you give a link?