chronological?

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:13 am

isnt if im a fool recorded on
february 20
long black limousine on
january 22
it keeps right on a hurting and any day now on
february 20
and the grass wont pay no mind on february 17?

seems highly un-chronological to me?

and from vol 1
in the ghetto on
january 20
suspicious minds on
january 23
kentucky rain febraruary 19
rubberneckin on
january 21
dont cry daddy on
january 15
mama liked the roses on
january 16

from vol 2
wearing that loved on look and youll think of me on
january 14
a little bit of green on
january 15
after loving you on
february 18
only the strong survive on
february 20
from a jack to a king on
january 22

this doesent seem chronological to me?

Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 am

Well, it never purports to not have organized the songs thematically.

As the cover of Volume One says (in decent-sized letters):

"THE HITS."

Volume Two is likewise given a subtitle and its own theme:

"Some Blue-Eyed Soul."

It's rather simple but it makes for a very listenable set of discs. :wink:
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:52 am

Just got it! Great disc, folks! Outrageously well-done!

Here's Piers' review on EIN for those who missed it!

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/cdreview_th ... yvol3.html

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:40 am

Ok folks, I just saved up $55, (paid all my bills today), so, for now, I must make up my mind, which Volume of the AMERICAN cd's do I want to start with :?:

I know it would make sense to start with Volume 1 and work my way up, but some of my fav American recordings are on Volumes 2 and 3 ... :!:

Any suggestions :?: Thanks ...

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:42 pm

If you wait, there is a chance you could miss out on the first two volumes. Seems they are much sought after. For $55.00 though, you should be able to get two CD's. Might as well start at the top.

Having said that, Volume 3 could very well be my favorite so far. The sound is great as are the songs (but that applies to the first two volumes as well).

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:16 pm

minkahed wrote:Ok folks, I just saved up $55, (paid all my bills today), so, for now, I must make up my mind, which Volume of the AMERICAN cd's do I want to start with :?:

I know it would make sense to start with Volume 1 and work my way up, but some of my fav American recordings are on Volumes 2 and 3 ... :!:

Any suggestions :?: Thanks ...

Get a volume one while you can - they are scarce already.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:03 pm

Agree. VOL. 1 is hard to find for some reason ...

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:42 pm

N880EP wrote: ...all those initially truncated tracks on "Finding The Way Home" (upper right corner).

Truncated! wHAT DO YOU MEAN?

BPD

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:00 pm

ImageImage

I think "Finding the Way Home" faded quite a few cuts because of salty dialogue...Not positive but that's what I noticed and read...

I agree that Vol. 1 of "The American Way" should be found and secured, pronto - and any other volumes folks may have missed :!:
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:04 pm

I don't normally like to listen to several takes of the same song. For example, I simply love my "Loving You" FTD but I still haven't heard every take on that second CD - I keep playing the first one instead. And this is why I didn't pick up the American Way CDs right away. Serious mistake...

I have two of them now, and I adore them both! Of course, the booklets are fantastic - beautiful layout and plenty of nice photos and memorabilia. But I already knew that. I had already seen the super cool covers. What surprised me a little was how very enjoyable these CDs are - the songs are so good, Elvis is so inspired and the musicians play with so much soul that I simply can't get enough of this stuff! It's both fun and interesting to hear these classics develop right in front of you. These are essential bootlegs for sure!

OK, I gotta go - I'm fixing to play "Loving You", CD 2...

EDIT: Check out Piers's review of Volume 3 on elvisinfonet.com - great stuff as usual!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed May 02, 2007 10:55 am

Damn! I forgot to praise the liner notes in my previous post. They are like the icing on the cake. I especially like the information about "It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin'".

Keith Richards, Jr.

Mon May 07, 2007 7:15 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I don't normally like to listen to several takes of the same song. For example, I simply love my "Loving You" FTD but I still haven't heard every take on that second CD - I keep playing the first one instead. And this is why I didn't pick up the American Way CDs right away. Serious mistake...

It's true that you have to be in the mood. As a rule, I've tried to find the time to listen to just his work on one song at a time (a good 20-30 minutes depending on the cut) before returning to another CD or record.

I dug into quite a few tracks as in the last few days and really found that I was in the right mood (preoccupied with unpacking from a move) to really appreciate the set even more...!

Mon May 07, 2007 2:04 pm

i've just been listening to volume 2 - love it!
rick

Fri May 11, 2007 5:27 am

Yes, great to have...

I would say the '90s era for CDs was the "glory period" for many Elvis import fans, judging from comments I've seen.

But it's fair to say that for the still-young 21st-century, this "American Way" series is one of the first "must-haves" - along with a select few others, including mostly upgraded reissues...!

Fri May 11, 2007 10:52 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Yes, great to have...

I would say the '90s era for CDs was the "glory period" for many Elvis import fans, judging from comments I've seen.

But it's fair to say that for the still-young 21st-century, this "American Way" series is one of the first "must-haves" - along with a select few others, including mostly upgraded reissues...!

Any idea when Number 4 is released?

Fri May 11, 2007 10:59 am

Little Darlin wrote:Any idea when Number 4 is released?

Should be out early June! I can't wait for this baby. I never thought complete sessions could be this fun... Elvis works so hard and he's so inspirered that it's a true joy to listen, and of course the covers and booklets in this series are like the icing on the cake!

Bring.... it... ON!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed May 16, 2007 6:41 am

I, too, have been a skeptic about such sessions as a "sit down and listen experience", but particularly for the hard-core, specialty market, and with some of the best music he (or anyone) ever laid to tape, it makes perfect sense for this stuff to be suited up in such an attractive fashion. It's not even that you're going to "wear out" these discs from playing them over and over (probably not advised!) but you'll cherish hearing them, probably in segments, and, yes, just seeing them lined up on the shelf. :wink:

There has been some debate about the penchant for historians to dig up lost proto-versions of various novels and discarded artwork of painters and how this could dilute the original works but for the most part, only hard-core fans and scholars would possess such works.

On a more popular level, some have said the DVD has made for a murkier picture, as some director's go back and "fix" the original ("classic" version) as well as adding outtakes, alternate endings, etc, many of which are now made with the DVD in mind, such that one is obliged to discuss all the extras in such a way that some feel it detracts from the original masterwork.

But as the "American Way" sets are so uncommericial in that sense, that there is no such problem. On the other hand, there had been some grumbling back when RCA was issuing Elvis outtakes (the Essential series, etc) and making some fans unknowingly buy versions Elvis did not want heard.

Given how specialized the Elvis world has become since even the late '90s (with an official but nearly underground "FTD" label that only certified Elvis nuts would either find or shell out for), this problem is taken care of, and how!

Wed May 16, 2007 11:46 am

What a lucky dog I am! :)

Wed May 16, 2007 12:16 pm

Juan Luis wrote:What a lucky dog I am! :)

Ok Gimme the Tracklist :D

Wed May 16, 2007 12:18 pm

Little Darlin wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:What a lucky dog I am! :)

Ok Gimme the Tracklist :D
Not thaaaat lucky! :)