All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:53 am

:lol:
jeffreyjames wrote:The cover may be nice but it isn't from 1969. It is from 1968 I believe.

jeff R

Well if that's the case I'm not buying it. :lol:

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:58 pm

Looks like another great release in this series. I love these 1969 sessions, and its great to have them all being released on these cds.

The first two volumes were great, so i'm expecting this one to be just as good. That cover is awesome looking too.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:40 am

jeffreyjames wrote:The cover may be nice but it isn't from 1969. It is from 1968 I believe.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Jeff, as I think was pointed out to me on another thread when
the series was launched, the idea is to replicate and continue
the spirit of the "Memphis" records as they came out.

It may have been 1969, but RCA was only able to access
(it wasn't that long ago) or just chose '68 publicity shots
they had available. So hats off to the gang at "Southern Comfort"
for keeping that authentic spirit of the originals alive
with their gorgeous covers!

ImageImageImage

Ciscoking wrote:The sessions aren`t new ..but we have them here in upgrated sound and chronological order.

They had been scattered around on various releases. Now we have them in compact form for the first time. Only the cdr makers managed this until yet ...

I agree with Maurice, Jeff and Cisco, who has nailed all the reasons to support these great releases.

Lew Nyack wrote:Some very legitimate questions PEP.
It would appear that since Tom Edison knocked out his first phonograph, not a decade has gone by where some audio revolution has swept the record/cd buying public.
Are we to be forever 'upgrading' our collections? It would appear so.
For me, there would have to be a significant improvement in sonics before I will be parting with my hard earned.

To Lew, "Southern Comfort" is a trusted source in the import world, indeed from a true legend who never lets us down.

Page through the booklet and give a listen to any volume and then get back to us on how you're sitting this one out. :lol:

I also used to wonder about sound upgrades but make make no mistake about it: an upgrade in audio is no fiction.

I've been (remain?) in the same poor house as you, but I'll have to applaud just the same anytime someone can muster better sound, better packaging (liner notes, photos) any time it happens. I

t may leave me with an "older" version but so be it. We all need something to look forward to, even when we plainly can't afford it. :lol:

Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:20 am

I don't own any of these cd's ...yet, and it may be awhile until I am financially capable of doing so ...

Until then, It'll Keep Right On A Hurtin' ... :cry:

Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:21 am

Is vol. 3 now out?

Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:24 pm

Not yet. Supposedly a couple of more weeks.

Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:04 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:Some very legitimate questions PEP.
It would appear that since Tom Edison knocked out his first phonograph, not a decade has gone by where some audio revolution has swept the record/cd buying public.
Are we to be forever 'upgrading' our collections? It would appear so.
For me, there would have to be a significant improvement in sonics before I will be parting with my hard earned.

To Lew, "Southern Comfort" is a trusted source in the import world, indeed from a true legend who never lets us down.

Page through the booklet and give a listen to any volume and then get back to us on how you're sitting this one out. :lol:

I also used to wonder about sound upgrades but make make no mistake about it: an upgrade in audio is no fiction.

I've been (remain?) in the same poor house as you, but I'll have to applaud just the same anytime someone can muster better sound, better packaging (liner notes, photos) any time it happens. I

t may leave me with an "older" version but so be it. We all need something to look forward to, even when we plainly can't afford it. :lol:

Thanks for the reply Gregory.
I to applaud the 'engineers' able to improve the sonics, but for me, it's a matter of degree......as I said, the improvement in audio would have to be significant.
As for the artwork/liner notes, these are of minor consequence to me, particularly if the latter is Joe Bloggs' opinion/review of a concert or recording session.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:06 am

Is Volume 2 still available?

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:23 am

elvis-fan wrote:Is Volume 2 still available?

I think it sold out within a couple of weeks, but a few dealers may have a copy or 2 left??

Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:44 am

I just got vol. 2 today, hopefully I will get to listen to it tonight. Can't wait!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:56 am

MattC wrote:I just got vol. 2 today, hopefully I will get to listen to it tonight. Can't wait!

Believe Me Matt You won't be disappointed. :wink:

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:20 am

Lew Nyack wrote:Thanks for the reply Gregory.
I ...applaud the 'engineers' able to improve the sonics, but for me, it's a matter of degree......as I said, the improvement in audio would have to be significant.
As for the artwork/liner notes, these are of minor consequence to me, particularly if the latter is Joe Bloggs' opinion/review of a concert or recording session.

Well, it all comes down, then, to how significant one thinks any sound upgrade is. You're entitled to settle for less.

To many of us hard core fans, we won't sit still for an inferior (or since surpassed) version. To say you'll settle for a slightly-inferior version is your own admission. Only from an economic position and perhaps a "fan fatigue" standpoint can I understand. And after all, there is a point with some recordings some human ears has a tough time telling just what changed, and I respect that. But failing that, no other set lays out these gems-in-progress in a better way.

And to dismiss the artwork and liner notes as being from "Joe Blogger" is to betray your ignorance of the fine company that is behind this fine release. Trust me, friend, this is a superb top-of-the-line release. There simply is not a better version available, as most here recognize.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:30 am

I agree. The booklets are really cool and the artwork (album covers) are as well. I can't complain about nothing from this series. The fans who don't have alot of these tracks, like myself, that don't own the albums like "Finding The Way Home" or "American Crown Jewels" are in for a real treat. I'd still like to find those as well but while I search for those I can now listen to most everything that are on them. The SC label is doing an awesome job. Keep up the wonderful work! :D

Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:26 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote:Thanks for the reply Gregory.
I ...applaud the 'engineers' able to improve the sonics, but for me, it's a matter of degree......as I said, the improvement in audio would have to be significant.

Well, it all comes down, then, to how significant one thinks any sound upgrade is. You're entitled to settle for less.

To many of us hard core fans, we won't sit still for an inferior (or since surpassed) version. To say you'll settle for a slightly-inferior version is your own admission. Only from an economic position and perhaps a "fan fatigue" standpoint can I understand. And after all, there is a point with some recordings some human ears has a tough time telling just what changed, and I respect that. But failing that, no other set lays out these gems-in-progress in a better way.

And to dismiss the artwork and liner notes as being from "Joe Blogger" is to betray your ignorance of the fine company that is behind this fine release. Trust me, friend, this is a superb top-of-the-line release. There simply is not a better version available, as most here recognize.

Gregory, nowhere have I dismissed the liner notes of American Way, (see my bold type above).
My 'Joe Bloggs' comment was general in nature ,(and quite accurate if one recalls a TMAHM article of some time back in relation to liner notes).
I have no doubt this is a great release, but I am about as likely to buy this disc as I am to shell out $10k for a new Linn Majik System to listen to it on.

Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:35 am

Lew, your antipathy to this series (evident just from your tone alone) probably has roots beyond mere price and reasons cited, if history is any guide. The import world is full of sleights and grievances but as a fan who knows little of that nor cares of it, I can say objectively that this is a truly fine, high-quality series that no Elvis fan should pass up.

Failing my ablity to convince you (and I know a thing or two about being hard up for cash), let me say to my friends here that you can't go wrong with this terrific set and I say that as someone with copies of "Finding the Way Home" and "American Crown Jewels."

This is "Desert Island" classic stuff, folks. We are blessed to have such sets at released at this late date of 2007.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:39 am

Sounds better than anything before it. Much better.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:08 pm

American Way Volume 3 has got A Awesome Review on Elvis News 8)

Can't Wait for My Copy....

Does volume three in this five CD series on Elvis’ legendary recordings at the American Sound Studio’s continue where the first two volumes ended?

Design

Like the first two volumes this edition comes in a sixties design, this time there is a link to the “Clean Up Your Own Back Yard” single through the picture of Elvis in the same shirt. On sixteen full color pages, packed with candid pictures and memorabilia, the history of the sessions and the tracks that were recorded is explained.

Content

This third volume in the “American Way” series continues the line of “sad” songs. Not too difficult at a studio housed at a ramshackle, run down building on 827 Thomas Street with “big ‘ol rats from the garbage truck next to the studio coming into the studio” as Reggie Young remembers it; the place for a King to lay down some of his best work.

From our “fly on the wall” perspective we join Elvis and the American Sound Studio band again for the recording of the five songs on this release. There is a bit more studio chatter between the tracks than on the previous two volumes, you clearly hear Elvis all present right away, both in the recording session as in the booth with Chip Moman. Everything is very open and direct with the "oops" and sorries" when someone messes up. It is so open that after 30 second into the CD we have the fist “cocksucker” coming through the speakers. I haven’t checked the chatter from previous releases of this material for any "cuts in time", but I get the feeling I’m listening to the tape that just rolled along with the recording at hand.

Apparently Elvis recorded “If I'm A Fool (For Loving You)” as a gesture to his father as he liked the song. It took Elvis nine takes to record this song. His version isn’t far off from the version with which the American Sound Studio keyboard player Bobby Wood had a regional hit with it with the author Stan Kesler.

One of my all time personal favorites “Long Black Limousine” was the first cut Elvis recorded at the American Sound Studio. The throat infection Elvis had was a blessing in disguise for a tearjerker like this. The organ makes it sound like the song was recorded in a church in stead of a “rat infested run down building”. Too bad he only needed eight takes to record this song, I can keep listening to this session on this release.

The country like “Any Day Now” was recorded in six takes. It is just a “big ol’ train”, when this song starts it just keeps on going due to the insistent bass line. On the sixth take Elvis and the band finalize their version which, with additional duly overlaid with some great brass arrangements, makes it to the b-side of the “In The Ghetto” single.

“And The Grass Won’t Pay No Mind” is the second Neil Diamond song Elvis recorded, the other is “Sweet Caroline”. Neil Diamond actually cut his version of “And The Grass Won’t Pay No Mind” in the same studio. While “Sweet Caroline” is an up-tempo song this songs is more laid back. Just like “Any Day Now” the very continues baseline keeps this song rolling along, exactly what it needs. You can hear the band search for the same flow in the takes we get to deliver the final product, correcting each other when one of them flows away.

Listening to the five sessions on this release you clearly get a good insight in the sound of the American Sound Studio. Again the audio on this release is very good; “If I'm A Fool” and “Long Black Limousine” come in mono while the other three tracks are presented in stereo. As for the tracks themselves, nothing new except some studio chatter, but - again - I haven't checked the chatter on previous releases of this material. It is the compilation of the available that counts.

Conclusion

After the first two volumes in this series this third volume confirms this series is an essential addition to any collection (and a blessing for those who missed out on classic bootlegs like “American Crown Jewels”, “Finding The Way Home” and "American Rejects"). Hopefully volume four is just around the corner. Perhaps it is an idea for the Follow That Dream label to release a complete recording session over the span over of three to four releases per year.

Track listing:

01 If I'm A Fool - takes 1, 2 (rehearsal + false start + "Am I That Easy To Forget" one line + long false start)
02 If I'm A Fool - take 3 (complete take)
03 If I'm A Fool - takes 4, 5, 6 (long false start + false start + long false start)
04 If I'm A Fool - takes 7, 8 (2x false start)
05 Long Black Limousine - takes 1, 2 (rehearsal + false start + long false start)
06 Long Black Limousine - takes 3-5 (3x false start)
07 Long Black Limousine - takes 6-8 (complete take + 2x false start)
08 It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin' - take 1 (long false start with edited intro + "Only The Lonely" one line)
09 It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin' - take 2 (complete take + false start)
10 It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin' - take 3 (complete master take)
11 Any Day Now - take 1 (false start + long false start + rehearsal)
12 Any Day Now - take 2 (complete take + rehearsal)
13 Any Day Now - take 3 (6x false start + long false start)
14 Any Day Now - take 4 (7x false start + long false start + workpart)
15 Any Day Now - take 5 (2x false start + long false start)
16 Any Day Now - take 6 (unrepaired master take with edited intro)
17 And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind - takes 1, 2 (rehearsal + false start + long false start)
18 And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind - takes 3, 4 (2x long false start)
19 And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind - take 5 (false start + long false start)
20 And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind - take 6 (false start + complete master take)

No hard-core Elvis fan should be without this set. This is on the short-list of essential imports.

Don't pass it up, folks!
Last edited by Guest on Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:24 pm

The official word from employee of the label is that it goes out this coming Tuesday.

Brace yourselves for another blast of Memphis country and soul.... :smt045

Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:55 pm

This is just gonna be a classic series for all time!!

Not wishing to court controversy, but does anyone else find it a bit crazy that the American Way 2 & 3 do not even feature in the Import News Section?

Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:29 pm

Vols 1 and 2 are supurb! i highly recommend, the sound quality blows all the other releases away.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:02 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:The official word from employee of the label is that it goes out this coming Tuesday.

Today's The Day then.....

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:25 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:The official word from employee of the label is that it goes out this coming Tuesday.

EP from 69, it doesn't get any better!

Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:35 pm

BIGREDG wrote:This is just gonna be a classic series for all time!!

Not wishing to court controversy, but does anyone else find it a bit crazy that the American Way 2 & 3 do not even feature in the Import News Section?
Really? Tisk tisk.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:40 am

Just got this today - and I must say that they are continuing on with a fantastic series.

I thought "Unsurpassed Masters" sounded good with the same sessions until I heard this CD! How wrong I was!

Roll on Volume 4 :wink:

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:00 am

Joe Car wrote:

EP from 69, it doesn't get any better!
You can say that again! But don't feel compelled to repeat yourself! :lol: