All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

KiwiAlan wrote:I'll try once again.

Are these binaural or are they stereo.

I mean is Elvis on one channel only?

If Elvis is on one side only, what other instruments are on that side?
EP and backup singers on the left,cymbals,.....rest of drum kit and parts of band on the right.....keyboards by David briggs in the middle ......on one song I just heard.....tape is fast but sounds great...will fix later and tweak to kingdom come and it will sound awsome!! :lol: :lol:

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Juan Luis wrote:

EP and backup singers on the left,cymbals,.....rest of drum kit and parts of band on the right.....keyboards by David briggs in the middle ......on one song I just heard.....tape is fast but sounds great...will fix later and tweak to kingdom come and it will sound awsome!! :lol: :lol:
Thank you!

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

KiwiAlan wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:

Thank you!
In a few minutes will post tweak to stereo!! Very easy!!

Topic author
Juan Luis

STEREO

Post by Juan Luis »

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Very nice. Will listen properly tomorrow my main speakers are unhooked right now. Thank you

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

KiwiAlan wrote:Very nice. Will listen properly tomorrow my main speakers are unhooked right now. Thank you
It can be done much better...very fast I did. :)

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Someone told me with modern technics you can filter out instruments and put them on a differnet channel..even from a mono track..I am no expert but it seems possible..so..what show next..??

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Ciscoking wrote:Someone told me with modern technics you can filter out instruments and put them on a differnet channel..even from a mono track..I am no expert but it seems possible..so..what show next..??
Impossible and sound good as of today. All instruments share the same frequencies to a certain point and therefore impossible to completely isolate and there is no point in mixing bad sounding individual tracks.

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

Very interesting how this release has such split opinions. I think it must come down to the way we listen to our Elvis.

I listen prinarily on my PC with 5.1 sound, and the binaural aspect to me does not seem to come into play. I am just surrounded by an amazing sounding show when I play this CD. When I listen to Polk Salad Annie and say Hurt from this CD it is truly a joy. Genearlly I am pretty "jaded" to soundboards, but this was a breath of fresh air.

On the other hand, I can imagine fans who use headphones would find the binaural aspect very distracting!!
Last edited by BigredG on Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

My copy arrived today.

It's a great package, and the CD sounds terrific. The front and back cover is nice, and a terrifc booklet with great pics and liner notes.

I would agree - with this type of CD, it should be listened to through the speakers.

The bass is a little low in the mix. I pushed the bass boost button on my Sony amp, to bring it up more.

I'm pleased with the mix on this binaural show. The drums are not totally on one speaker, it's a mix between the L and R.

Opinions are split, but I'll just say this. If you can do it, go ahead and buy a copy - and judge for yourself.

Rich

ImageImageImage

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Re: STEREO

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Even at low volume on a laptop (notebook) computer, that sounded really different. Nice work! If this is what that "bi" stuff brings allows, then keep it coming!
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: STEREO

Post by Juan Luis »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:

Even at low volume on a laptop (notebook) computer, that sounded really different. Nice work! If this is what that "bi" stuff brings allows, then keep it coming!
It can be mixed or fixed to regular stereo ..not just mono. Sounds great if you fatten the sound a little.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I'm looking forward to my copy! 8)

You guys really have made me understand why binaural is so popular for some. It has as much to do with what you can do with yourself (tweaking the sound) as the sound on the disc itself... It's sounds like the ultimate experience as a fan: mix it to your taste! I guess when I get my audiophiliac degree someday, I'll finally know how to do that!

Jim Dandy

Post by Jim Dandy »

You will not be sorry Mr Nolan, this is indeed a splendid release in all ways from Madison. I thoroughly enjoyed the show last night - and the neighbours (including those on the other side of the bush valley my place fronts) heard the entire CD. It is one that needs to be LOUD. EP certainly was having fun with the new rhythms from his own mountain! I did find EP was a little drowned out at times, but I am sure someone can tweak it so EP is more centred. Unfortunately I think most mono soundboards lack so many sound dynamics of the show that we end up with a very flat impression, even to the point where one may write off the whole tour or period. Yet listening to this binaural release you get a real sense of the concert, Elvis' vocals don't sound like they've been stripped down by some deaf amateur bootlegger messing with the sound. I would liken this to watching good 8mm footage with overdubbed matching sound - it makes the experience a whole lot more enjoyable. I suspect there are quite a few binaural soundboards out there especially from the 76/77 era (due to personel changes and the requirement for new staff to have recordings of the show with isolated instruments), and I for one would welcome their (re) release. Good work boys, I can't wait for the next one!

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Jim Dandy wrote:I did find EP was a little drowned out at times, but I am sure someone can tweak it so EP is more centred.
Is this the new trend in the Elvis world? The fans are supposed to fix the sound themselves? Hmm. I prefer that the bootleggers do that for me. :wink:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Jim Dandy wrote:I did find EP was a little drowned out at times, but I am sure someone can tweak it so EP is more centred.
Is this the new trend in the Elvis world? The fans are supposed to fix the sound themselves? Hmm. I prefer that the bootleggers do that for me. :wink:

Keith Richards, Jr.
untouched is better than noise reduced and reverbed to death. In this case binaural recordings are presented for what they are. Tweaking is the frosting and its good to have it as an option imo.

Jim Dandy

Post by Jim Dandy »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:

Keith Richards, Jr.
I guess sound is subjective, and Madison have tried to remain true to the original source - at least to some degree.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

Johanesson

Post by Johanesson »

Just received it today and i can't say anything new: the booklet is great,the show is good (for 1976) and the sound quality is good,too. It almost sounds like a stereo recording. If you don't have the original,buy it! Thank you,Madison.
Oops,i forgot something:I like Al Dvorin's marketing speech!

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:shock: Well i found a MOST INTERESTING comment about Shane Keister from Dennis Loccoriere website today!:-
"Shane Keister and Kyle Lehning were , I believe , Synth/keyboard players and The Shelly Kurland Strings I would imagine were  ... er ... a string section ?
Shane Keister was an excellent keyboard player, but Kyle Lehning was a recording engineer, who went on to produce lots of great records of his own (England Dan and John Ford Coley, Randy Travis) and eventually wound up being the head of a couple different record labels in Nashville."
Dennis spent nearly 15 years in Nashville after Dr Hook finished and i always found his comments very useful and sincere! and after listening to this CD again I'd say Dennis's Comments were spot on!

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!