Madison A New Kind Of Rhythm=binaur. Holding Back The Years

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Joern

Post by Joern »

@ Mike S:

Thanks for the review. Once again an excellent one if I may say! Thumbs up!

Joern

Topic author

A New Kind Of Rhythm

Post by Guest »

Thanks Joern, I hope it answered all your queries.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Mike.. you say in your review..it is an essential release..
Don´t you think that`s a little bit exaggerated..I think no show from this time is essential for an Elvis collection..as they feature our man from a lower point of his career...just my two cents..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Topic author

A New Kind Of Rhythm

Post by Guest »

Ciscoking wrote:
you say in your review..it is an essential release..
Don´t you think that`s a little bit exaggerated..I think no show from this time is essential for an Elvis collection..as they feature our man from a lower point of his career...just my two cents..
For anyone who enjoys Elvis' live shows, this is a great release for the following reasons:

1) It's an enjoyable show, with E in a good mood and singing well (for the period).
2) The instrumental backing is different which makes a refreshing change and brings fresh life to the performances themselves.
3) The sound quality is very clear and dynamic resulting in a genuinely exciting concert experience--it's like being seated next to the drummer on this recording--quite exhilarating!
4) Madison's artwork is exceptional and the photos throughout their artwork really bring this show to life.

You appear to be making the point that Elvis has performed better in other shows which may be true. However, any committed fan (as I know you are) will want a range of shows from each year. If that is your aim, then this is an essential addition to your collection.

Hope this helps.

Rich_TCB

Re: A New Kind Of Rhythm

Post by Rich_TCB »

Mike S wrote:Rich_TCB wrote:
Where's that review, Mike ?! Can't wait to read it ...
Thanks for your interest Rich.

It is currently with the site admin who will post it soon--Keep a watch on the Latest Import Review link.
Just read that review, Mike. Now I'm even more anxious to hear it! Hope to have it soon.

Good to hear that the speed was corrected.
Mike S wrote:3) The sound quality is very clear and dynamic resulting in a genuinely exciting concert experience--it's like being seated next to the drummer on this recording--quite exhilarating!
Now THAT sounds very interesting. As a drummer, this will be something to look forward to.

And I was also reminded of one other great aspect of this show. It will contain the performance of "Hurt" which was new to the show. The later versions are still great, of course. But the tempo is more true to the studio version on this March '76 tour.

Rich

ImageImageImage

Topic author

Post by Guest »

Rich_TCB wrote: Good to hear that the speed was corrected.
Can't be a drastic correction, though. And I Love You So, for instance, is now 2% shorter - a halftone would be 6%. Nonetheless, good to have it corrected.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Mike S wrote:
You appear to be making the point that Elvis has performed better in other shows which may be true. However, any committed fan (as I know you are) will want a range of shows from each year. If that is your aim, then this is an essential addition to your collection.
Seeing it from a point of view of a committed collector you are surely right, agreed.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Excellent review, thanks again Mike!

Topic author

A New Kind Of Rhythm

Post by Guest »

Thanks Joe.

Rich_TSB wrote:
As a drummer, this will be something to look forward to.
I don't think you'll be disappointed...it's the nearest you're going to get to a personal drum lesson from Larrie Londin.

Kuenzer wrote (regarding tape speed):
Can't be a drastic correction, though.
Depends what you mean by drastic. On Holding Back The Years the tempo on many of the songs appeared to drag slightly. My initial impression was that the band was underehearsed which spoilt my enjoyment of this show. All I can say is that it doesn't sound like that now.

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Thanks Mike, another great review! :D

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Topic author
Promocollector

Post by Promocollector »

Mike S

You don't happen to work for Madison do you? Afterall you have 13 posts on this topic with 12 of them actually telling us how great this release is!! :lol: :lol:

Enjoyed your review, good stuff.

Topic author

Post by Guest »

Promocollector wrote:
You don't happen to work for Madison do you? Afterall you have 13 posts on this topic with 12 of them actually telling us how great this release is!!
I don't have any connection with anyone, but I do appreciate the availability of this material particularly when it has been done well.

That's the reason I write these reviews; so that all of you are able to make a more informed decision on whether to add a particular release to your collection.

Glad you enjoyed the review by the way--thanks for letting me know.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:shock: Well i'm playing this CD and amazed by the incredible stereo sounds!! :lol: i'm blown away after the drumming on mountain and polk salad! i downed a whole litre of dunkleweisen before the intros and having a gooda time as Elvis this night! like the atmosphere and the sounds are 'incredible!' ok so Elvis reads an 'announcement' and forgets the words, but the concert experience via this 'new kinda rythum is simply the BEST concert experience i ever had! buy this CD its simply 'incredable!!' :wink:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

8) Well i just enjoyed the amazing closing vamp drumming to the concert, then the "Al Dvorin" announcements took me by surprise....the interest created by that man! just to hear him speaking about the Coliseum AND Elvis's forthcoming appearance in Lake Tahoe was enough to make anyone salivate all over the carpet-EVERY detail perfect and such a salesman! you'd buy a used car from him ANYTIME!! :roll: don't get me wrong this 'new' release by madison with such a superb booklet too is the best thing since sliced bread came along! well done indeed! :lol:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

I previously posted that this would be the first Madison release that I would not own. I was more than happy with the DAE release of this show.

I would just like to further add that I gave in to peer pressure and bought the damned thing. I haven't heard it yet, but it's on the way.

Damn it!

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

Rob wrote:I gave in to peer pressure and bought the damned thing. I haven't heard it yet, but it's on the way.

Damn it!
Eh? What? can't hear you!!!!

A wise choice I am sure, and my compliments to your peer :wink:

Topic author

Post by Guest »

Rob wrote:I previously posted that this would be the first Madison release that I would not own. I was more than happy with the DAE release of this show.

I would just like to further add that I gave in to peer pressure and bought the damned thing. I haven't heard it yet, but it's on the way.

Damn it!
To cut possible future arguments short - what exactly do we have to say to make you give in?

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

Kuenzer wrote:
Rob wrote:I previously posted that this would be the first Madison release that I would not own. I was more than happy with the DAE release of this show.

Damn it!
To cut possible future arguments short - what exactly do we have to say to make you give in?
Kuenzer - the man has caved in already!!

I knew a Cincinnati lover like Rob would just have to get this Cd - if only for the photo of the lovely looking US Bank Arena on the inside rear artwork :lol:

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

BIGREDG wrote:
Rob wrote:I gave in to peer pressure and bought the damned thing. I haven't heard it yet, but it's on the way.

Damn it!
Eh? What? can't hear you!!!!

A wise choice I am sure, and my compliments to your peer :wink:
Took me an hour just to clean the dust off my nose! :lol:

Topic author

Post by Guest »

BIGREDG wrote:Kuenzer - the man has caved in already!!
I thought of possible future discussions ... once I discussed with him whether in Woman Without Love the passage "a woman is nothing at all" is the man's or the woman's point of view, and he wouldn't move by a millimetre.

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

Oh I see - didn't realise you 2 had history :wink:

I would love to hear your Woman Without Love arguement some time!!

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Damn it!
Was there any doubt? But I'm sure you put up a valiant fight! lol :wink:

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Topic author

Post by Guest »

BIGREDG wrote:Oh I see - didn't realise you 2 had history :wink:

I would love to hear your Woman Without Love arguement some time!!
It's here: http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27667

Rereading it, what I really wanted to say is: "a woman [without love] is nothing at all" is what her man assumes to know about the woman's perception of herself. He assumes this to be a general truth, and her behaviour seems to confirm his belief. Maybe that brings us closer to a consensus on that thread?

Topic author
thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

Mike S, I have a question for you. The bonus track "Let Me Be There" on Movin’ Mobile is, as far as I know, taken from the same source as was used for this binaural version of this March show. How does the sound quality on that track compare to the A New Kind of Rhythm release?

Rob, when you’ve played this upgrade, could you please let me know what you think of the sound?

It may be a bit presumptuous of me, but I take the liberty of thanking both you guys in advance. :lol:

Per

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

Once I've heard it, I'll gladly post my thoughts. I would have had it already, but as you probably know, I've held out a little longer than usual. However, I just couldn't pass up a Madison release no matter how hard I tried.

My name is Rob and I'm an addict.