Madison A New Kind Of Rhythm=binaur. Holding Back The Years

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

BIGREDG wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:I am tring to get my head around binaural sound from a live concert soundboard.

Why would it be separated this way and why was it recorded that way. I can see no possible purpose at the time.

It, if done that way, would be a tad dodgy sound wise. When you attend a concert you don't heae sound in binaural.

Are you sure that the binaural aspect hasn't been created by the bootleggers?

A new twist on "Artificially Reprocessed For Stereo " perhaps. Or just a way to make the gullible buy it again :D
The story goes that these tapes were made in this way in order that new piano player or drummer or bass player could listen to the isolated channel with their part on to familiarise themselves with the repertoire and expectations. After all there was no chance of Elvis showing up for a rehearsal by this stage!!

Take the Orlando 77 tape which is the most extreme example we have. Even with both channels present, the piano is overwhelming :shock:

I have never bought that explanation. If that was the reasn why record soundboards night after night. The RCA multi tracks tracks would be of much more value for that purpose.

I expect the recordings were done for the purpose of royalty evidence for Fox audits.

Binaural studio recordings are a different matter and mix down into mono at a better quality.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

KiwiAlan wrote:I have never bought that explanation. If that was the reasn why record soundboards night after night. The RCA multi tracks tracks would be of much more value for that purpose.

I expect the recordings were done for the purpose of royalty evidence for Fox audits.
How does this explain the Binaural tapes? A tape like Orlando 77 with the piano dominating so strongly can surely only have one explanation???

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

For people like me that missed out the 1st time, this is a very welcomed release. And I'll FINALLY have a March '76 show with Larrie on drums.

As for the binaural aspect of it: if the sound is that bad, you can just use your computer and burn a mono mix. But I'll be looking forward to hearing this complete show in binaural.

Thank you Madison.

BRING IT ON.

Rich

ImageImageImage

Topic author

A New Kind Of Rhythm

Post by Guest »

KiwiAlan wrote:
If that was the reasn why record soundboards night after night. The RCA multi tracks tracks would be of much more value for that purpose.
Binaural soundboards were not recorded night after night. They were almost certainly made for a pre-determined reason in exceptional circumstances as Bigredg has suggested.

Regarding RCA multitrack recordings; these were not issued with mixes allowing seperation of individual instruments, so would not have been a better option for this purpose.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Listening to the Movin' Mobile track right now.
Sounds nice, but drums on one channel only does not do it for me..

Thank god I own the original boot.
Mixed down to mono resulted in the best sounding soundboard to date.

This will not be an improvement, but still interesting for those who don't have the original...

What's up next?
This show was also recorded in crystal clear audience recorded audio, true!
Bring it on Straight Arrow :wink:

Robert

Post by Robert »

.... I would buy a reissue of Birmingham though,
that one would be very welcome.. 8)

Topic author

A New Kind Of Rhythm

Post by Guest »

Robert wrote:
This will not be an improvement
Wanna bet??

Think about it a second... Madison are a quality import label...right? Why then would they bother to release a PREVIOUSLY issued show unless there was a noticeable improvement?

Of course we'll have to wait to find out, but I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt in the meantime.

Robert

Re: A New Kind Of Rhythm

Post by Robert »

Mike S wrote:Robert wrote:
This will not be an improvement
Wanna bet??
Yesss!

But we'll both turn out to be winners. :wink:
Because it's only a matter of taste.
I personally consider drums on a separate track hideous.

Just listened to the binaural "Let me be there".
Nice and clear, but no where near the original version..

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

yes this is a 'difficult' one to comment on, certainly i liked the original release, but am quite prepared to listen to more binaural-as i found let me be there quite a 'fresh' experience! :wink:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I understand the misgivings, but a label like Madison has proven time and again to go that extra mile. Quite a few of the Madison and Fort Baxter classic reissues in the last year or so passed relatively unoticed by those who in some cases didn't want to even imagine that their expensive import had been replaced by a "better sounding" disc with a better booklet, and I understand that.

I have my misgivings about binaural sound but will give this release a shot. Madison never lets us down. :lol:

If nothing else, they are doing a service by keeping selected titles in print, albeit with new covers and titles....

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

ritchie valens wrote:i am one of the odd balls i guess.
That thought has never crossed our minds.

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

JEFF d wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:
Mike S wrote:Why try to undermine this release before you have even heard it?? I've got a suggestion: Why not give it a chance and post your opinions AFTER you have heard it and are therefore better informed?

After all, at the moment you don't know..... you may even be pleasantly surprised.

(Don't forget Vegas Rhythm was slated at first....turned out to be a great release).
Mike,

You ask too much - for most on here this is their favourite passtime :roll:
Mike is correct here, if you will read what he wrote clearly.

JEFF d
EAP fan
Jeff d - yes I know Mike is right - I was actualy agreeing with him if you read what I wrote carefully :wink:

My eye roll was aimed at the people who ceaselessly slag off virtually every new import release before they have even heard them!!!

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I must agree with Rob - I will skip this release 'cause I already own "Holding Back" and it's perfect.

And this time, I will not get tempted :-)

The Across The Country Vol. 2 sounds nice however, along with the new Los Angeles book (which is DAMN expensive).

Topic author

A New Kind Of Rhythm

Post by Guest »

Thomas wrote:
I already own "Holding Back" and it's perfect.
So was Fort Baxter's It's A Matter Of Time before Vegas Rhythm came along---I know which of these two issues I will play more often.

Instead of all the negativity, why not look forward to discovering the improvements which may have been made?

Keep this in mind: Madison do not usually let us down.

elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

A few of these tracks were released on Madison's "Legendary Performer" series. I can't enjoy them without turning the treble way down. It's just too bright.

"Holding Back The Years" is one of my favorite soundboards. I have not heard a better "America," with the exception of a couple of audience recorded shows. "And I Love You So" is exceptional, even with the false start. It is a more complex piece of music that showcases the talents of the singers and players.

The original cassette seems to have been flawed, in that the sound repeatedly gets brighter, then a bit muddier, as the tape moves in the cassette. I'm not sure what the technical term is, but my ears tell me it's there.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Mike S wrote:Thomas wrote:
I already own "Holding Back" and it's perfect.
So was Fort Baxter's It's A Matter Of Time before Vegas Rhythm came along---I know which of these two issues I will play more often.

Instead of all the negativity, why not look forward to discovering the improvements which may have been made?

Keep this in mind: Madison do not usually let us down.
Absolutely ...

I will be picking this disc up and I'm sure it'll be worth it. After I purchased, and loved, the Madison Let It Roll and One Night Only, I'm not hesitating.

Other than FTD, what else can I look forward too in the Elvis world of music :?:

Oh, that's right, more redundant, superflous BMG products :!: :lol:

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Mike S wrote:Instead of all the negativity, why not look forward to discovering the improvements which may have been made?
I am not beeing negative. I am not in any way suggesting that someone should NOT get this release. I'm sure it is a great CD!

But I'm sure you will allow me to use this forum to disclose why I personally will not be pulling my purse out for this particular release. Maybe I wil get me the re-re-release in a few years :-)

I'm only kidding. Thanks to the guys at Madison (and all the other Importers) for keeping our all hobby alive.

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

Thomas wrote: I'm only kidding. Thanks to the guys at Madison (and all the other Importers) for keeping our all hobby alive.
Amen to that Thomas - we don't all have to buy everything, but we should be glad there are actually cds to choose from!!

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

Wise words indeed from Mike S.

I've just bought the original release on ebay, but I do look forward to this one (which is strange for a '76 soundboard).

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

BIGREDG wrote:
JEFF d wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:
Mike S wrote:Why try to undermine this release before you have even heard it?? I've got a suggestion: Why not give it a chance and post your opinions AFTER you have heard it and are therefore better informed?

After all, at the moment you don't know..... you may even be pleasantly surprised.

(Don't forget Vegas Rhythm was slated at first....turned out to be a great release).
Mike,

You ask too much - for most on here this is their favourite passtime :roll:
Mike is correct here, if you will read what he wrote clearly.

JEFF d
EAP fan
Jeff d - yes I know Mike is right - I was actualy agreeing with him if you read what I wrote carefully :wink:

My eye roll was aimed at the people who ceaselessly slag off virtually every new import release before they have even heard them!!!
Sorry for the misunderstanding! :oops: :)

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Yes i just bought this CD and REALLY look forward to playing it and hearing the sounds from my stereo speakers! i didn't hesitate getting this one! :lol:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

JEFF d wrote: Sorry for the misunderstanding! :oops: :)

JEFF d
EAP fan
No probs!! :smt023

dl

Post by dl »

I don't care if Madison re-releases this show, because the performance sucks. Elvis is clearly overmedicated and goofs up one song or another. True, his voice is good and there are some good performances in this show, too but overall Elvis should not have been on stage that evening!

Hav-A-Tampa

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

dl wrote:I don't care if Madison re-releases this show, because the performance sucks. Elvis is clearly overmedicated and goofs up one song or another. True, his voice is good and there are some good performances in this show, too but overall Elvis should not have been on stage that evening!
But this is 1976 we're talking about, not 1970. I think it's a pretty entertaining show, certainly a lot better than most of the later (pre-December) shows that year. To say the performance sucks is a bit strong, I think!

elvispresleyfan1935

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

While I have the first release of this show..still want to get this new one..may suprise us and be better than the first issue, who knows. Although I doubt that...but you never can tell with a great label like Madison releasing it... :D

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long