Madison A New Kind Of Rhythm=binaur. Holding Back The Years

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author

A New Kind Of Rhythm

Post by Guest »

Thekingisalive wrote:
The bonus track "Let Me Be There" on Movin’ Mobile is, as far as I know, taken from the same source as was used for this binaural version of this March show. How does the sound quality on that track compare to the A New Kind of Rhythm release?
As far as I can determine it sounds identical in every respect and has the exact same running time.
It may be a bit presumptuous of me, but I take the liberty of thanking both you guys in advance.
Not presumptious at all Per, glad to have been of help and from the speed of Rob's response, I'm sure he feels the same.

Topic author
thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

Thanks again, Mike and Rob. Much appreciated.

I love your reviews, Mike. Keep them coming. :D

I’m not a fan of binaural soundboards, because they give me a headache more often than not, especially if I use headphones. I may pass on this one, although I’ll wait on Rob’s verdict before I make up my mind, as he seems to have the same reservations as I do when it comes to these binaural recordings.

I am sorely tempted, though, and may pull a Rob anyway.

Per

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Rob wrote:Once I've heard it, I'll gladly post my thoughts. I would have had it already, but as you probably know, I've held out a little longer than usual. However, I just couldn't pass up a Madison release no matter how hard I tried.

My name is Rob and I'm an addict.
:D :D :D

I'm always interested in hearing your opinions on new CDs and this time I'm more interested than ever. I am desperately trying not to buy this damn thing. There are so many other CDs I want right now: Kraftwerk, Charlie Rich, Bob Weir, Sam Cooke... But if you like the sound of this CD, I know I simply won't be able to resist it anymore - I'll order it.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Rob wrote:Once I've heard it, I'll gladly post my thoughts. I would have had it already, but as you probably know, I've held out a little longer than usual. However, I just couldn't pass up a Madison release no matter how hard I tried.

My name is Rob and I'm an addict.
The first step is admitting you have a problem... God speed :lol:

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

I just had a chance to listen to this, sorry to say but it's an absolute disaster!

The binaural approach is actually not at fault here, but it's the mastering that's completely off. They have opted to raise the highs to incredible levels to make it sound brighter at the expense of the lows.

Funnily enough, the binaural version of "And I love you so" from this show was previously released on "Legendary Performer, Vol.5" and it sounds absolutely fine on there, so I wonder what went wrong here.
Last edited by thenexte on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

If these shows are binaural...what is the instrument and voice splits?

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

thenexte wrote:I just had a chance to listen to this, sorry to say but it's an absolute disaster!
Surely you jest?? :shock:

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

BIGREDG wrote:
thenexte wrote:I just had a chance to listen to this, sorry to say but it's an absolute disaster!
Well, I wasn't actually kidding but you may judge for yourself:

Sample #1: Hurt HBTY

Sample #2: Hurt ANKOR

Both samples are channel-averaged and are running at the same speed for easy comparison.

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

I'm sure it's just a matter of taste... but from those clips posted. I prefer the Madison release(which i don't have yet).

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Topic author

Post by Guest »

It's definately a matter of taste, but judging this mp3's from Madison and DAE cd's I reckon that sound on old bootleg is better. I don't have new Madison cd, but in my opinion sound is too thin comparing with Holding Back The Years.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

KiwiAlan wrote:If these shows are binaural...what is the instrument and voice splits?
Does no one know...which would be strange :D

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

thenexte wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:
Sorry, thought you were jumping on the April Fool's bandwagon early :wink:

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

:lol:

I see the board has been polluted all day with "April Fool's day" gags. :roll: This would be a good time for the moderator to excise these distracting examples of "humor."
thenexte wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:

Both samples are channel-averaged and are running at the same speed for easy comparison.
Thenexte, I'm listening to both at relatively low volume on my home laptop ("notebook") computer and can't yet hear the "disaster." :lol:

I'll crank it in coming days for a better test.

And what do you make of the Madison's speed correction? No extra credit for that? :lol:

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote::lol:

I see the board has been polluted all day with "April Fool's day" gags. :roll: This would be a good time for the moderator to excise these distracting examples of "humor."
thenexte wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:

Thenexte, I'm listening to both at relatively low volume on my home laptop ("notebook") computer and can't yet hear the "disaster." :lol:

I'll crank it in coming days for a better test.

And what do you make of the Madison's speed correction? No extra credit for that? :lol:
Crank up the volume and listen to Elvis' voice, it's completely without body in the lower mid and bass range as the Madison folks jacked up the mid range and the high end. On the upside however is indeed the correct speed of this show and once the bad EQ is reverse-engineered the clean binaural source is actually quite useful as it can be used to mixdown the show yourself!

This could then sound something like this: Sample #3: Hurt ANKOR-RM2007 which in my view even beats the old DAE bootleg (and makes this show a much more enjoyable experience)! So it turns out even a bad binaural source can sometimes be good for something. I just wish Madison had given us the real deal instead of EQ'ing it to death, and making it virtually unlistenable.

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I'm always interested in hearing your opinions on new CDs and this time I'm more interested than ever.
Having finally heard this CD, I'll gladly give you my opinion since you so kindly asked for it.

The package is great. Typical Madison fashion. The booklet is packed with photos and great information as usual. I had to have it because I am a collector and could not stand by and pass up a Madison release, something I have yet to do.

However, while the sound quality of the CD is very crisp and clear, it is not my thing (as I suspected). I do not like having Elvis' vocal in my left ear only (headphones). Again, while the packaging is much better than the original DAE release, the CD is something that I'll more than likely not listen to again. Anyway you cut it, I'm not one for binaural recordings.

Whenever I get a hankering to listen to the Cincinnati '76 show again, which won't be anytime soon, it will be the DAE release.

That being said, for those of you who like the Madison release....rock on. I'm very thankful for the Madison label and will continue to support them in the future as long as it is not a binaural release of something that I've had (and have been satisfied with) for years.

Topic author
thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

Thank you, Rob. Just as I suspected. I’ll pass on this.

Per

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

Rob,

Now I feel soooooooooooooooo bad :cry: :cry: :cry:

(like a ball game on a rainy day in fact!!)

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

I would have eventually bought it anyway and am still glad that I have it in my collection.

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

Rob wrote:I would have eventually bought it anyway and am still glad that I have it in my collection.
Are you sure you are not just saying that to make me feel better??

:smt006

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Rob wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I'm always interested in hearing your opinions on new CDs and this time I'm more interested than ever.
Having finally heard this CD, I'll gladly give you my opinion since you so kindly asked for it.

The package is great. Typical Madison fashion. The booklet is packed with photos and great information as usual. I had to have it because I am a collector and could not stand by and pass up a Madison release, something I have yet to do.

However, while the sound quality of the CD is very crisp and clear, it is not my thing (as I suspected). I do not like having Elvis' vocal in my left ear only (headphones). Again, while the packaging is much better than the original DAE release, the CD is something that I'll more than likely not listen to again. Anyway you cut it, I'm not one for binaural recordings.

Whenever I get a hankering to listen to the Cincinnati '76 show again, which won't be anytime soon, it will be the DAE release.

That being said, for those of you who like the Madison release....rock on. I'm very thankful for the Madison label and will continue to support them in the future as long as it is not a binaural release of something that I've had (and have been satisfied with) for years.
Thank you. I think I'll pass on this one. It doesn't feel too good, though - I am a Madison fan after all...

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

elvispresleyfan1935

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

Finally, i got one of the latest import release :D

Been getting a little behinde this last month or so, but am so glad i started back with this cd. Ok, me, being well not new but still fresh in the world of imports have not heard many binaural recordings. But now I am a big fan of them. The sound imo, brings the concert more to life so to speak, exciting. Although I am very fond of the DAE release, I just simply enjoy this more and will certainly be listening to this release very often for a bit. :wink:

Excellent job Madison, as per-usual :wink:

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Rob wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:

What of the speed correction, Rob? No bonus points for Madison's wizardry there?

I look foward to making the same comparison, right after I get the Ed Sullivan DVD set. :oops: :oops: :lol: I hear you about bianaurals as a rule, but I like that a sound junkie like thenexte is able to tweak it to his liking by virtue of it being in that format.

Thenexte, nice clip but I'll have to crank it at an earlier hour. Thanks again.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Topic author

Post by Guest »

Got it yesterday. Sounds absolutely clear and great.

Also the two binaural tracks on Across The Country Vol 2 are a very interesting listen, highlighting JB's seemingly effortless and beautiful guitar playing.

Bring on Birmingham in binaural!

elvispresleyfan1935

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

Kuenzer wrote:
Bring on Birmingham in !
That's what I say also.

As much as that binaural sound brought the Cincinnati show to life..i can't imagine how awesome the Burmingham would sound! :D

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

I'll try once again.

Are these binaural or are they stereo.

I mean is Elvis on one channel only?

If Elvis is on one side only, what other instruments are on that side?