All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author

Madison A New Kind Of Rhythm=binaur. Holding Back The Years

Post by Guest »

I've just heard of a new Madison CD:

A NEW KIND OF RHYTHM! (1-CD MADISON) SOUNDBOARD
RIVERFRONT COLISEUM, CINCINNATI, OHIO, USA, 21-03-1976 ES

Songlist is identical with that of Holding Back The Years. Anyone heard of this one? How much sound improvement has there been achieved?
Last edited by Guest on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

It is the same show as "Holding Back The Years." The difference is that the new Madison release will have binaural sound.

I've never skipped a Madison release yet, but this will be the first. I do not like binaural recordings, especially through headphones, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the sound on the original release.

For those of you who do plan on getting this one...happy listening.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/import_news.html

Hav-A-Tampa

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

Rob wrote:there was absolutely nothing wrong with the sound on the original release.
Agreed. Holding Back The Years is one of my favourite soundboards, good balance, the bass and drums give it a lot of power. This is a release I'd want to listen to before buying. Has a better cover than the original, though.

Topic author

Post by Guest »

Ah, description has arrived. Thanks! I've edited the topic title accordingly.

Any volunteers for listening to the drum channel only? Well, at least it's a novelty. And since the 76 shows are all quite similar, this might be a welcome change. I'll have to give Holding Back The Years another listen before I decide whether I'm interested.

Topic author
Scott Hayward

Post by Scott Hayward »

The original was a great release, but only because the backing sounded so different from what one is used to. Elvis' performance itself included several "bummer" moments, such as forgetting the lyrics to Burning Love, laughing through Mountain and finally reading an announcement for someone to report to the first aid station!

The sound quality was fine on the original, however, and because of that it has gotten many a spin in my player.

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

To me this is a mystifying choice of release for the above mentioned reasons :smt017

Topic author

Post by Guest »

DAE's 'Holding Back The Years' would have to be in the Top 5 best sounding 'boots' of all time. Elvis' performance that night was okay, he did sound tired. I can't imagine this new release by Madison will improve the sound quality. Yes, I'm sure the booklet will be great like all the Madison releases. Anyway, wasn't Madison supposed to bring out two 1975 concerts from Huntsville, Alabama. What happenend to these?

Topic author

Post by Guest »

shanebrown wrote: But there is no way I would rebuy this for what can only be a minimal sound improvement.

Yeah, me too. Rather save for something I don't have. For those who don't have the original release, it's not a bad concert to get, but not great. But you will get to hear the 'thundering' drum work of the late Larrie Londin.

Rob. :smt025

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

There is a sampling of this on the last track of "Movin Mobile"... it sounds great to me! I'll be gettin this one for sure, one of the best shows from 1976 is you ask me!!!

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

frus75

Post by frus75 »

My dealer just got it, I'll have it this wednesday. The first I thought when I received complete artwork by mail was that it was Johnson City. Pity.

Iván

La voz del Rey

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

The original release was o.k.in every way...I don`t understand this policy...just ruins the good name....JMO..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

"Holding Back The Years" is one of my favourite bootlegs. Good show, nice artwork and fantastic sound quality. That an ultra-high-quality label like Madison re-releases an already perfect soundboard is a bit surpsrising. It looks to me like the bootleggers have finally run out of soundboards. Too bad! :cry:

The complete artwork for this new CD looks extremely good, though!

A couple of weeks ago, Mr. Tallhair wanted to know if anyone was interested in hearing "Burning In Birmingham" in binaural sound. I said no. Binaural is overrated.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I thought it was kool to have Elvis stop a show for an announcement of that nature. Showed he cared. I find it interesting in binaural so I can mix easier and use the other release as well and have wow!!! :)

Topic author

A New Kind Of Rhythm

Post by Guest »

JEFF d wrote:
There is a sampling of this on the last track of "Movin Mobile"... it sounds great to me!
At last... a sensible comment based on fact rather than empty speculation.

Why try to undermine this release before you have even heard it?? I've got a suggestion: Why not give it a chance and post your opinions AFTER you have heard it and are therefore better informed?

After all, at the moment you don't know..... you may even be pleasantly surprised.

(Don't forget Vegas Rhythm was slated at first....turned out to be a great release).
Last edited by Guest on Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The only annoyance with the DAE/Luxor releases is the added reverb. With regards this new release, does anyone know what the balance is with the binaural recording – is it drums hard left with the rest of the recording hard right for example or is it drums panned left or right with the rest panned central. I’d be interested with this release if it is sans added reverb.

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling

Post by ritchie valens »

with binaural the studios can mix better than from a mono mix.
i like binaural myself. i am one of the odd balls i guess.
i wish someone would release jc 76 complete show from soundboard instead of the same shows over and over.

Topic author

A New Kind Of Rhythm

Post by Guest »

Keith Richards Jr. wrote:
"Burning In Birmingham" in binaural sound. I said no. Binaural is overrated.
I said yes please, bring it on.

Binaural sound brings a great clarity to the proceedings, as well as being the best we're ever going to get. Don't knock it!!

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
The complete artwork for this new CD looks extremely good, though!

Keith Richards, Jr.
Where can one see the "complete" artwork?

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Re: A New Kind Of Rhythm

Post by BigredG »

Mike S wrote:Why try to undermine this release before you have even heard it?? I've got a suggestion: Why not give it a chance and post your opinions AFTER you have heard it and are therefore better informed?

After all, at the moment you don't know..... you may even be pleasantly surprised.

(Don't forget Vegas Rhythm was slated at first....turned out to be a great release).
Mike,

You ask too much - for most on here this is their favourite passtime :roll:

I was surprised by this choice by Madison, but what surprised me even more was the late late late announcement of the release. Normally we are told weeks or even months in advance (I think we all remember Holding Down The Fort!!!), but this one we are told about only on the day of release!! Weird.

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

Mike S wrote:Keith Richards Jr. wrote:
"Burning In Birmingham" in binaural sound. I said no. Binaural is overrated.
I said yes please, bring it on.

Binaural sound brings a great clarity to the proceedings, as well as being the best we're ever going to get. Don't knock it!!
Now Birmingham would have been most welcome in binaural - The sound on Burning definitely could use an upgrade.

I will reserve final judgement on New Rhythm until I hear it of course :wink:

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

BIGREDG wrote:
Mike S wrote:Why try to undermine this release before you have even heard it?? I've got a suggestion: Why not give it a chance and post your opinions AFTER you have heard it and are therefore better informed?

Mike,

You ask too much - for most on here this is their favourite passtime :roll:
Mike is correct here, if you will read what he wrote clearly.

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

I am tring to get my head around binaural sound from a live concert soundboard.

Why would it be separated this way and why was it recorded that way. I can see no possible purpose at the time.

It, if done that way, would be a tad dodgy sound wise. When you attend a concert you don't heae sound in binaural.

Are you sure that the binaural aspect hasn't been created by the bootleggers?

A new twist on "Artificially Reprocessed For Stereo " perhaps. Or just a way to make the gullible buy it again :D

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

Matthew wrote:The only annoyance with the DAE/Luxor releases is the added reverb. With regards this new release, does anyone know what the balance is with the binaural recording – is it drums hard left with the rest of the recording hard right for example or is it drums panned left or right with the rest panned central. I’d be interested with this release if it is sans added reverb.
Ok here is my opinion on this, IF they are doing it like is presented on "Movin Mobile"(last track). To me this is two differant tapes they have synced together.... Elvis and his band and the crowd noise is to the left channel on one tape.... the drums and the band and the crowd noice are on the right channel on other tape. I guess they had two tapes running that night.... IMO

JEFF d
EAP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

BigredG

Post by BigredG »

KiwiAlan wrote:I am tring to get my head around binaural sound from a live concert soundboard.

Why would it be separated this way and why was it recorded that way. I can see no possible purpose at the time.

It, if done that way, would be a tad dodgy sound wise. When you attend a concert you don't heae sound in binaural.

Are you sure that the binaural aspect hasn't been created by the bootleggers?

A new twist on "Artificially Reprocessed For Stereo " perhaps. Or just a way to make the gullible buy it again :D
The story goes that these tapes were made in this way in order that new piano player or drummer or bass player could listen to the isolated channel with their part on to familiarise themselves with the repertoire and expectations. After all there was no chance of Elvis showing up for a rehearsal by this stage!!

Take the Orlando 77 tape which is the most extreme example we have. Even with both channels present, the piano is overwhelming :shock:

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Binaural has to be better period. And if you hit mono button or for myself foldown it will still be clearer than a mono release like the CD it is replacing. Love Me Tender mastered from binaural is a good example.