All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:45 pm

dl wrote:I just listened to my copy of this production. The sound is really great and so is the artwork. I wonder why only parts of the Johnson City show appear and not the complete show (sorry Joern, I have to say it again: I WANT THAT SHOW TO BE RELEASED). The tracks from Orlando are bullshit. I don't know what should be interesting on those tracks, at least if you don't play piano and desperatly wanting to re-create the style of the great Tony Brown.

Well it is better to have 3 soundboard orlando tracks at the end of the CD in very good sound, with Elvis on background, or it is better to have there silence only? I bet you will vote for silence... but not me ;-)

Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:23 pm

You echo my sentiments exactly Deadringer.

Surely this question is a "no brainer"??

Audionics could have just issued a sub 40 minute Cd, then we would hear real moaning :roll:

Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:50 am

YDKM wrote::lol: This will be a 'top notch' CD release from the 'Famous' Audionics label and (as in past) WILL NOT dissapoint us with a FULL CD of (mostly) NEW material! :roll: :wink:

Well sorry for the long delay :roll: but i only just recieved this rather good cd! Impressive liner notes, content and overall package! The inspirations sounded a bit 'thin' to me but the Huntsville show was 'impressive' as i could hear every single word from Elvis and this boosted up my enjoyement/appreciation of this show 100% again the stereo Johnson city too was impressive as i could CLEARLY hear just what Elvis is saying about the bible and shane Keister! although my first complaint here is that Elvis sounded a bit low in the left channel and i had to bring it up!(talking to my sound engineer guy here :lol: ) finally the Orlando 3 tracks were quite surprising in the hidden depths of warmth they give..ok SURE its unbalanced but gives a different perspective on if you love me, mountain and help me.Its like you can hear Elvis struggle with the sound and the pianist too! Thoroughly enjoyable CD throughout and i'd give it a 8+/10 which is better than 'Across country Vol 1 which i rate as 7/10' hey looking forward now to Volume 3!!! :roll: :wink:

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:03 pm

YDKM wrote:Well sorry for the long delay but i only just recieved this rather good cd!

Better late than never. I gave this one another spin early this morning. It's probably one that I won't play too often, but it is one that I'm glad to have in the 'ol collection.

You gotta love the performance of "I'm Leaving" during this show (also available on the "Southern Nights" FTD for you odd people who do not collect the imports).

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:12 am

Yes Rob. i found that the sound quality (from soundboards) DID vary throughout and this is what i thought:-
17.10.76- 7/10
31.5.75-8/10
17.3.76-9/10
15.2.77-6/10(ONLY rated lower due to the extreme dominant piano mix)
What i'd REALLY enjoy AFTER this is a 'best of' 1st tour of 1976 on soundboard on FTD say whatever available in glorious 9/10 Johnson City sound(REALLY nice on Across Country Volume 2!) + some other soundboard we havn't heard so far...come on FTD don't neglect some great sounding material from Elvis's FIRST tour of 1976! :roll:

Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:25 am

Can't wait to get this ... Volume 1 was not so bad, either.

A worthy addition to every live concert colleciton.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:20 pm

:lol: Your 100% correct Thomas Volume 2 is better than volume 1 and that was 'fun/interesting' and worth having, volume 2 is better because the sound is better and Elvis is clear & fresh and exciting! like i NEVER heard his speech so clear that you can understand EVERY word! Excellent release bring on Volume#3 :roll:

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:36 pm

Yes YDKM, I would agree, Volume 2 is better than the first! Audionics, please better yourselves with each volume! Johnson City is a fine contended to be on one of your Across The Country releases! Cheers!

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:28 am

:wink: Yes interesting and the 'Sweets' DID vary their opening act in 1976, for example they featured Elton John songs like 'shine the light on me' during Lake Tahoe 1976., then in the June/July tour they did Paul Mc Cartney and Wings 'silly love songs' before the Stevie Wonder medley of songs they had changed to presenting on THIS CD in October 1976~! :lol:

Fri May 04, 2007 3:57 pm

I had to wait some time for this one because I was moving to another city. But yesterday, it finally arrived.

And it's GREAT!

It's exactly what I need: Unreleased bits of a NEW show in a nice sound quality. Elvis seems to be in a comparatively good mood, joking about the soundsystem ("hush little baby don't you cry, you know the soundsystem is bound to die) and he decides to take a request from the audience ("you're lucky you wanna hear the Hawaiian Wedding song because this one was up next anyway"). All in all, a not-above-average but really entertaining show.

The booklet is neat.

And Tony Browns Orlando Hour Vol. 2 is great, especially during "Help Me". Maybe I'm gonna try to play that myself on the piano (god beware).

This is really an import like in the good old times. Can't wait for "Across The Country Vol. 3" !

Sat May 05, 2007 2:11 pm

Thomas wrote: And Tony Browns Orlando Hour Vol. 2 is great, especially during "Help Me".

Tony Browns Orlando Hour :lol:!

Mon May 07, 2007 7:57 am

Just got it myself and have to say again what a fabulous label this "Audionics" is! Hey, thenexte, I love you for your Elvis audiophila regarding master session releases, but you're picking the wrong board to pick on import releases...! I'm assuming you don't have it, either! :lol:

Sometime ago, I made the half-informed argument to DJC that I preferred '77 Elvis to '75 Elvis but having recently finally collected many of those imports that cover his '75 tours, I have to reconsider! I had been put off by the joking / sloppy style heard on live '75 tracks of the ELVIS ARON PRESLEY silver box set, but between sets like "Southern Nights" (on FTD) and this Huntsville show and others from that tour, I take it back! And what a look he had with that "Red Eagle" suit! I usually couldn't care less but what an appearance he made back then...!

ImageImageImageImage

There is really nice sound here (equal or surpassing "Southern Nights," which released two tracks from this set) and it's a decent follow-up to Volume One, which I enjoyed, even though the sound was less than optimal.

As was said, those piano-laden tracks gathered at the end are very interesting to hear - and yes, it sure beats silence! I wouldn't want to hear them all the time, but it gives a new insight to songs like "You Gave Me A Mountain" and others. If the studio sessions can have their "off" moments as heard in outtakes, then live shows, when they are not somehow slightly different each time out (itself rare) can at least have their "corner" for such oddities, even if they were done out of necessity of training a musician...!

Along with Madison, Fort Baxter Classics, Straight Arrow, Southern Comfort and very few others that still care about delivering quality, "Audionics" that has become sort of an "automatic" buy for import fans!

Fri May 11, 2007 12:46 am

Have y'all seen the sh*t review on Elvisnews for this cd? Time for Lex to hang up his hearing aid once and for all :evil:

Ridiculous.

Fri May 11, 2007 2:42 am

Yes i read Lex's 'review' and he even was polite enough to reply and leave my comments up their! :roll: but that still doesn't change the fact that its time for someone else to be doing these reviews.... i mean Lex loved Feb 1972 Vegas and says so, but 75 or 76 or 77...well Lex is 100% clear on that he doesn't care a damm! :evil:

Fri May 11, 2007 5:40 am

Yes, this "Lex" character has to fine a new hobby. He took delight in bashing the "Unchained Melody" FTD, even admitting he didn't listen to each track ...and yet he still posted his so-called "review."

So this latest hachet job is also beneath what is otherwise one of the finer sites besides FECC. By definition, this world is for Elvis fanatics, that is, those who value the notion that arguably the world's greatest ever singer and entertainer deserves quality documentation on anything that can be found on or about him.

Such specialty releases are not designed for (apparently) "casual fans." Even many a hard-core fan might find some releases beyond them, but there's a way to say this, and this was not it.

I've gotten burnt out on certain hobbies and interests before but when the time comes that I'm no longer fanatical (or that I'm just satiated), it's time to pass on the reigns.

"Audionics" and it's sister label "Straight Arrow" deserve accolades for doing such heroic work with often less-than-stellar tapes, never mind all the great photos and notes. When someone bashes a labor-of-love for Elvis fans, they need to get another hobby.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed May 16, 2007 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 11, 2007 8:47 am

I have now completed a review for this release which should be up on this site very shortly.

Don't be misled by what you might read elsewhere; this is a great release!

Fri May 11, 2007 8:56 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Yes, this "Lex" character has to fine a new hobby. He took delight in bashing the "Unchained Melody" FTD, even admitting he didn't listen to each track ...and yet he still posted his so-called "review."

So this latest hachet job is also beneath what is otherwise one of the finer sites besides FECC. By definition, this world is for Elvis fanatics, that is, those who value the notion that arguably the world's greatest ever singer and entertainer deserves quality documentation on anything that can be found on or about him.
Such specialty releases are not designed for (apparently) "casual fans." Even many a hard-core fan might find some releases beyond them, but there's a way to say this, and this was not it.

I've gotten burnt out on certain hobbie and interests before but when the time comes that I'm no longer fanatical (or that I'm just satiated), it's time to pass on the reigns.

"Audionics" and it's sister label "Straight Arrow" deserve accolades for doing such heroic work with often less-than-stellar tapes, never mind all the great photos and notes. When someone bashes a labor-of-love for Elvis fans, they need to get another hobby.

Great post, Greg.
Hope you don't mind me highlighting a few points.

Fri May 11, 2007 11:25 am

BIGREDG wrote:Have y'all seen the sh*t review on Elvisnews for this cd? Time for Lex to hang up his hearing aid once and for all :evil:

Ridiculous.

I stopped reading his "reviews" a long time ago. It's obvious that he gets some sort of high out of bashing Elvis on most releases whether it be import or FTD.

Fri May 11, 2007 11:58 am

Maybe he wants to impress his wife. I listened to ATC 2 again yesterday, and its still fresh and energetic. The Hawaiian Wedding Song is a bit shaky at the start, but, for my ears, not at all completely out of tune. And the binaural bonus "And I Love You So" led me to thinking that they should have performed it as a "duet" James-Elvis, just guitar and voice.

Fri May 11, 2007 7:55 pm

As promised, a review for this CD is now showing on this site under the link--Latest Review.

It certainly exceeded my expectations, proving to be a quality release.

Fri May 11, 2007 8:56 pm

Rob wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:Have y'all seen the sh*t review on Elvisnews for this cd? Time for Lex to hang up his hearing aid once and for all :evil:

Ridiculous.

I stopped reading his "reviews" a long time ago. It's obvious that he gets some sort of high out of bashing Elvis on most releases whether it be import or FTD.

If it wasn't for his idiotic reviews, I would frequent that site more often.

Fri May 11, 2007 9:04 pm

Mike S wrote:
As promised, a review for this CD is now showing on this site under the link--Latest Review.
It certainly exceeded my expectations, proving to be a quality release.

Great review,thank you.

Joe Car wrote:

I think Lex is not a real Elvis fan.

Fri May 11, 2007 9:27 pm

Just got a chance to listen to "Across the country, Vol. 2" myself, and I have to say it is a good release. Notwithstanding I haven't quite forgiven the Madison folks for the lousy sound on "A New Kind of Rhytthm", where they jacked up the bass and treble to astronomical levels, making this show virtually unlistenable. At least it's good to see they didn't follow that same route on this new release.

Fri May 11, 2007 9:44 pm

Joe Car wrote:
Rob wrote:

Ridiculous.

Why??

Admittedly it is an excellent site for news items, but I think you would notice a difference in the quality of debate on the messageboard.

(I'm glad you enjoyed the review Johansson)

Sun May 13, 2007 6:11 pm

Lest anyone should feel my implied criticism was inappropriate in my previous post, perhaps I should add that I enjoy the reviews from that site.

They are always honest and entertaining, even though I wouldn't want to base a decision to purchase on their conclusions. Oh no.....I've done it again...they're a great site, honestly.

Regarding this release, my review was rather late in the day, so I take it you've all got this one now?

I have to say the artwork is one of the very best--design and photo-wise.