All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:07 am

deadringer wrote:WHAT TO HELL is so interesting in this f...g letter written by some ZERO named "Sonny West" to another zero-fan? And such topics got 124 postings! Unbelievable. Discuss Elvis, discuss recent CDs, FTDs - these are almost unnoticed on this board..... but such nonsense... :cry:

JMO:

There's nothing whatsoever interesting about the recipient of this letter, however, ........... the author of this letter is part of EP's Legacy (It's always the music, ....... and so much more ...... you know.), EP History, the story, ......... and also played a critical role in EP's ultimate demise (& why there is NO MORE MUSIC).

How can anybody not be interested in the whole story?

Just so you don't misunderstand, .......... I don't give two hoots about any of the MMM's. Did you know that there are even "fans" who collect MMM items ? :shock: I don't proclaim to understand it, but ........ to each their own, for sure.

On that note: I really don't care about the Alternate Outtakes of "A Dog's Life" either, ..... but you don't see me on that thread bitc*ing about it. :wink:

ie: Just ignore the threads you're not interested in. I do, ..... lots.

-------------------

Getlo & Joe -

I've been giving you the critical pieces to this equation, ..... but, unfortunately .......... you are unable to process.

That's OK, too, ...................... (Hey! Don't say I didn't try, folks! :D )

N8

PS - Regarding "Two Sides To Every Story" ........... will you really get a reliable account from somebody in denial? (That was the whole point of the book).
Last edited by N880EP on Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:23 am

Sonny is very friendly to the fandom, always has been.

N8

Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:47 pm

If I ever met SonnyI would shake the guys hand and say "At least you tried to help". There is/was a lot that were happy to sit and receive that paycheck every week and carry on saying/doing nothing

Re: HELL

Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:52 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
Getlo wrote:
deadringer wrote:WHAT TO HELL is so interesting in this f...g letter written by some ZERO named "Sonny West" to another zero-fan? And such topics got 124 postings! Unbelievable. Discuss Elvis, discuss recent CDs, FTDs - these are almost unnoticed on this board..... but such nonsense... :cry:

Perhaps you cranked the numbers up to 125? (+ one... that would be ME!)

I think you've done a lot more cranking than that, Getlo.

I didn't think it showed! :oops:

Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:05 pm

Liverbobs wrote:If I ever met SonnyI would shake the guys hand and say "At least you tried to help". There is/was a lot that were happy to sit and receive that paycheck every week and carry on saying/doing nothing

Yes he helped a lot but only when he had lost his job - that says a lot about the guy.

N8 thanks for your contribution. I don't fully understand anyone holding on to a personal copy of Elvis's What Happened and keeping the contents of his handwritten notes a secret, but we have to respect their decision. I am interested in how the book became owned by a private collector (or perhaps it is still with Graceland - I don't know). It must say a lot about Elvis's thoughts about the contents. Probably more telling than anything we have had from him in 1977.

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Yes he helped a lot but only when he had lost his job - that says a lot about the guy.

Getlo, he was trying to help before he lost his job too - it's why he lost it! That's the point I've been trying to make. The fact Elvis couldn't, or wouldn't face up to his problem meant the next best solution was to remove the person, or people who were trying to point it out to him.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:11 am

DarrylMac wrote:

Getlo, he was trying to help before he lost his job too - it's why he lost it! That's the point I've been trying to make. The fact Elvis couldn't, or wouldn't face up to his problem meant the next best solution was to remove the person, or people who were trying to point it out to him.

Exactly.

Also, didnt Red, Sonny and a few others want to physically force Elvis to 'dry out' but they wanted Vernon's permission but he said he wouldnt do it.

I dont blame the other guys who didnt try and do anything.

In fact, no one should feel any guilt.

It was a very difficult situation.You try and help Elvis and your given the sack.

In his Latter years, sadly Elvis wasnt the person he once was and didnt really know what he was doing to himself.

I thought Hebler made the best comment' How can you protect a man from himself?'.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:39 am

Sean wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:

Exactly.

Also, didnt Red, Sonny and a few others want to physically force Elvis to 'dry out' but they wanted Vernon's permission but he said he wouldnt do it.

I dont blame the other guys who didnt try and do anything.

In fact, no one should feel any guilt.

It was a very difficult situation.You try and help Elvis and your given the sack.

In his Latter years, sadly Elvis wasnt the person he once was and didnt really know what he was doing to himself.

I thought Hebler made the best comment' How can you protect a man from himself?'.

If Hebler and company thought that Elvis was a hopeless cause, then the "saving him" reasoning for writing the book was a sham, as I and a few others have been saying all along.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:04 pm

Sean wrote:I thought Hebler made the best comment' How can you protect a man from himself?'.

Certainly not by writing a book.

How much can we believe Sonny and Red's version of their time with Elvis? The only thoughts Elvis had about the book are written in the margins of his copy - which is not available to the general fan. I would love to see what he had written in his copy.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:08 pm

What I find amusing is the fact that all those fans dissing the book have read every word of it and those that haven't just ain't got the right to comment.

It's a bit like those people who turn into a TV program with adult content then write to complain about it instead of switching over.

Andy

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:44 pm

This debate will rage on forever, and Sonny is well aware that the fans who have a negative opinion about him, Red and Dave will likely never change their minds. As he said, "The only way people will ever fully understand our side of it is to have lived it."

Who among us is to say they would "never" write a book, or never say this or that? Unless you were there, and lived with the frustration, anger, bitterness, etc., you're not qualified to judge their actions. Would you really sit back and take the moral high ground, especially with a wife and kids to support?

Just my opinion..........

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:55 pm

The only thing I have found disturbing in the Book so far is that it's wrote in the present tense, I keep forgetting it's nearly thirty years old.

I also found something interesting too, in times of trouble Elvis used to get help from someone ''outside'' the group. I would love to know who that was.

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:53 pm

KHoots wrote:This debate will rage on forever, and Sonny is well aware that the fans who have a negative opinion about him, Red and Dave will likely never change their minds. As he said, "The only way people will ever fully understand our side of it is to have lived it."

Who among us is to say they would "never" write a book, or never say this or that? Unless you were there, and lived with the frustration, anger, bitterness, etc., you're not qualified to judge their actions. Would you really sit back and take the moral high ground, especially with a wife and kids to support?

Just my opinion..........

They could have applied at McDonalds.........

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:06 am

Getlo wrote:How much can we believe Sonny and Red's version of their time with Elvis? The only thoughts Elvis had about the book are written in the margins of his copy - which is not available to the general fan. I would love to see what he had written in his copy.

Do you want me to see if the owner will give it to you?

Getlo wrote:I don't fully understand anyone holding on to a personal copy of Elvis's What Happened and keeping the contents of his handwritten notes a secret, but we have to respect their decision. I am interested in how the book became owned by a private collector (or perhaps it is still with Graceland - I don't know). It must say a lot about Elvis's thoughts about the contents. Probably more telling than anything we have had from him in 1977.

Be careful not to read too much into any of my words on this topic, beyond what I've actually stated.

--------------------------------------

KHoots wrote:This debate will rage on forever, and Sonny is well aware that the fans who have a negative opinion about him, Red and Dave will likely never change their minds. As he said, "The only way people will ever fully understand our side of it is to have lived it."

Unless you were there, and lived with the frustration, anger, bitterness, etc., you're not qualified to judge their actions.

A tip of my hat, KH.

Have said it before a number of times, .......... we haven't walked in their shoes (especially Red's, ...... and for as long as he did.)

N8

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:15 am

Didn't the West's try to get back to Elvis?
Didn't they speak with Tom Jones or something, they told him to
talk to Elvis?

And why do people write like they know ALL of the story???
We don't know 100% why Elvis sacked them.
Maybe he had several reasons for doing so, who knows.

And Elvis didn't talk sh*t about them (even efter the book was released).
We should give him credit for that.

And my opinion on the West's??
Burn in hell.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:21 am

Xaykev wrote:And why do people write like they know ALL of the story???
We don't know 100% why Elvis sacked them.

Some people know a whole lot more than most.

Xaykev wrote:And Elvis didn't talk sh*t about them (even efter the book was released).
We should give him credit for that.

Yeah, ........ he threatened to kill them all.

Xaykev wrote:And my opinion on the West's??
Burn in hell.

Quite a rational and well thought out opinion.

JMO.

N8

Rational Thinking

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:46 am

carolynlm wrote:Before meeting Sonny, I really didn't have any opinion at all about him, and a person I was with at the time had to actually talk me into going to see him...it was the best thing I could have done. The thing that struck me immediately, that although Sonny was doing a show, he had tables set up outside the venue before the tickets were purchased and met fans there.....(I'm talking about the Memphis show here, I don't know about any others).....he spoke to everyone who was there, and gave each person the same attention, whether they had bought a ticket for the show or not.....he and Judy are great people, and unless you've met someone face to face, I can't really see how you can have an honest opinion about them at all.

Like a breath of fresh air!

Yet another, tip of my hat.

N8

Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:50 am

I agree.I have also met Red and Sonny on 2 seperate occasions and found them to be friendly and honest, not just with me but all fans.

As for the person who put that they should 'Burn in Hell' maybe should read and re-read all the posts in this thread and it might educate their mind.
Just my opinion, of course :wink:

Talking of opinion's, this very interesting thread could go on forever and will never change the opinion's of the hater's or the ones who defend Red, Sonny etc.

To me, its not really that important to pick out faults with anyone or to blame someone for what ever happened cause no one can change the past but if a person is gonna be blamed for what happened then, sadly, it should be Elvis himself.I dont see any of the Red/Sonny hater's putting Elvis down for doing what he did but as i have said, its not that important.

Im sure Elvis wouldnt want us arguing amongst each other about who/what etc is to blame, im sure he would want us to not regard that certain time in his life as that important and instead remember all the more important things he did in his life and for us to keep his memory alive in that way.

I know that since he passed, Red has never brought out a book and Sonny will be releasing his own book soon about the good times he had with Elvis and im sure there will be some brilliant articles in it and i will surely be getting it.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:01 pm

Until I hear Elvis' side of the story I take all the West's and other losers say with a container of salt.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:47 pm

N880EP wrote:Do you want me to see if the owner will give it to you?

Yes please! :D He could start wrapping it for me in time for my birthday next month. He doesn't have to buy me a card - the book will suffice!

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:49 pm

Luuk,

It would be a better thread if those who are against Red/Sonny were to put up posts in a more mature manner.

Putting things like 'Burn In Hell' and 'Loser's' are not what i call contributing to a great and interesting thread.

Its a great discussion and everyone is expressing their own views and its kind of being spoilt by things like that being put up. :oops:

I have my own feelings about Parker but i would never say things like 'Burn In Hell' or calling him a loser.

Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:06 pm

Sean wrote:Luuk,

It would be a better thread if those who are against Red/Sonny were to put up posts in a more mature manner.

Putting things like 'Burn In Hell' and 'Loser's' are not what i call contributing to a great and interesting thread.

Its a great discussion and everyone is expressing their own views and its kind of being spoilt by things like that being put up. :oops:

I have my own feelings about Parker but i would never say things like 'Burn In Hell' or calling him a loser.

For good order's sake I am against people who sell out their friendship by exposing a private life without the person who got exposed had a chance to give his side of the story.
Of course these days the guys are friendly towards ELVIS fans. That is where more money should come from.
Unfortunately people are blindfolded by the fact these guys once were around Elvis and do not remember they sold their friendship.
These guys do not know the meaning of friendship anyway. Hey, here's a dollar, now tell us more about Elvis' private life. Forget Elvis did want to keep his private thoughts to himself. Like Elvis said at a press conference when asked about what he thought about certain events: "I am just an entertainer and I would like to keep my private thoughts to myself".

Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:28 pm

Luuk,

We are going round in circles.

As been said before regarding friendship.

Elvis broke the friendship first by doing what he did to them.

As for Elvis saying that he would keep his private thoughts to himself, i do remember him saying to President Nixon that he should 'kick Lennon out of the US' so as far as Elvis keeping his private thoughts to himself, thats your arguement lost. :wink:

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:38 pm

Sean wrote:Luuk,

We are going round in circles.

As been said before regarding friendship.

Elvis broke the friendship first by doing what he did to them.

As for Elvis saying that he would keep his private thoughts to himself, i do remember him saying to President Nixon that he should 'kick Lennon out of the US' so as far as Elvis keeping his private thoughts to himself, thats your arguement lost. :wink:

That was said in private!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:54 pm

carolynlm wrote:There are people out there who loathe the very ground I walk on.

Carolynlm,

Cant understand that...i love Australia.