All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sonny West Letter To Fan 1983

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:12 pm

Link to a letter that Sonny West wrote to a fan in 1983, with nothing to sell, Sonny is very honest in his note

http://elvispresleyscrapbook.co.uk/artefact_24.htm

Thanks to my mate Tony for this!

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:24 pm

Thanks! If it doesn't work at first (as in my case), play with the next/previous-buttons.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:13 am

This is going to be a rather contentious statement to some:

This letter is a prime example as to some of who EP's true friends were.

---------------------------

Let no one forget that, just like the book, ....... all that Sonny (& others) is saying is the simple TRUTH / FACTS. (I will grant, however, that the book, EPWH?, was a bit skewed in its presentation thanks to Dunleavy).

The fandom has vilified The Wests (& some others), secondary to irrational, emotional, blindness.

Ironically, had EP stepped up to the challenge and overcame his problems, ......... some of these same individuals would now be called "Heroes." (However, it didn't happen that way, unfortunately).

This is also a common theme in The EP World ---> the fandom placing some on a pedestal, while ostracizing others who speak / spoke the unpleasant truth. These ridiculous groupings / labels are inversely proportional to the reality of the situation (ie: the veracity of some of those who were there).

A prime example of people preferring the MYTH, over the TRUTH, because it makes them feel good, is reassuring, restores confidence in a world that they "wish" to be, and not a threat to their belief systems - on a number of levels.

(As a fascinating side note: There are even authors out there who have constructed a complete fantasy relationship w/ EP and re-painted their reality as EP "The Saint"; those doing this also have an entire following of cult-like believers who support. eg: Wanda June Hill).

Much of the fandom does it, ......... just to differing degrees.

-----------------------------

This is an important letter (& topic) for critically thinking fans to read, see, think about, & process. (I do hope, however, that, as a courtesy, .... Sonny's permission was obtained before publishing / using).

N8

Sonny West letter to fan 1983

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:58 am

I can't get it to play. Can someone please post the letter another way, if possible? Thank you!

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:26 am

I always thought Sonny had a pretty good grip on speaking the truth when it came to Elvis' behavior. Clearly he realized Elvis needed a wake-up call and he is one of the few ones that actually acted upon his instincts...
Last edited by thenexte on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:28 am

I agree with N8.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:42 am

Was the letter written on a toilet paper roll :D

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:03 pm

The book itself, EWH?, is really up to about 80-90% positive things.
IMO, the West brothers meaning was to help EP, even tho there was perhaps a small part of "revenge" in it too...

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:11 pm

Scarre wrote:The book itself, EWH?, is really up to about 80-90% positive things.
IMO, the West brothers meaning was to help EP, even tho there was perhaps a small part of "revenge" in it too...
Definitely! I do not think they can feel good reading how depressed that book made him..but no doubt they loved his ass!

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:26 pm

I have always said, and I mentioned this to Red, was the only trouble with the book EWH was the guys never got to the publisher quick enough. There is some food for thought :lol:!

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:48 pm

I said it before, I'll say it again. Sonny and Red are traitors. Dave was never a close friend, so his treason was not something tragical.
i know many fans have different opinion, but that's how I feel. And I don't buy the buul' shi*t like "we tried to help him that way"
EWH was another nail on our man's coffin.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:53 pm

Narek wrote: EWH was another nail on our man's coffin.

" ... and the fan's acceptance of Presley's decline, wasn't ?"

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:30 pm

I am not surprised that Sonny would have hand-written a letter, as he has always seemed genuinely interested in fans understanding his motivations where "Elvis What Happened?" is concerned, not to mention all other aspects of Elvis's career.

I interviewed Sonny for almost 90 minutes one day last week, and he was very pleasant, polite, and willing to answer anything I asked. In fact, he answered things before I had a chance to ask. (As Lamar has said--"Sonny can explain water.") In fact, I tried to spend more time discussing the new project, but he continually expounded on the other book. That was fine with me.

Perhaps part of his motivation behind writing the new project is based in his feeling a bit of guilt from the first project, I don't know. One could hardly blame him if that is true, as he has taken a lot of heat and abuse over its release. He said the new book was 4-5 years in the making, and that it was his way of saying goodbye to Elvis.

Sonny knows people likely won't change their minds into thinking another way, and he has come to grips with that. Elvis was heading towards death regardless of whether a book was coming or not. To paraphrase what Sonny said several times, "What would you do if you saw your friend killing himself? I tried to help by presenting him with a challenge..." One of the two regrets Sonny has about EWH is the fact that the challenge didn't work, with the other regret being that they didn't get to select the writer.

Sonny knew they'd make some money from the book, but what gets lost is the fact that the guys could practically have named their price to prevent its release. The lawyers were ready, willing and able to squash it if the guys agreed to go that route. But would that have helped Elvis? No.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:36 pm

Excellent post, KHoots! Elvis was heading towards death regardless of whether a book was coming or not. That's it in a nut shell! My best wishes to you, brother :lol:!

Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:25 pm

Yeah, and it still surprises me that some 'fans' still are not using the full capicity of their brain to realise that Red and Sonny are not traitors.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:45 pm

Sean wrote:Yeah, and it still surprises me that some 'fans' still are not using the full capicity of their brain to realise that Red and Sonny are not traitors.

And some fans blame The Colonel for just about everything that went wrong for Elvis, on and off stage. I guess it's only natural.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:10 pm

They must have read the drafts for the book as it was written. Dunleavy was in it to make money and the drugs and other sensationalised stories make for a big seller. If they were so concerned they could have asked Dunleavy to make amendments. They didn't.

Elvis was already down and depressed and the book further added to his worry. It did nothing to wake Elvis up and take notice. In fact, Elvis turned more to the drugs after the book came out. Having said that, it was a bad way for Elvis to end working relationships - especially Red West who was there at the start.

Don't forget Red taped Elvis without his knowledge and used it in the book. That's a pretty low down thing to do, so I don't have much sympathy for them. You can see with their smug faces reading the newspaper, they really couldn't have cared less about Elvis.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:31 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Sean wrote:Yeah, and it still surprises me that some 'fans' still are not using the full capicity of their brain to realise that Red and Sonny are not traitors.

And some fans blame The Colonel for just about everything that went wrong for Elvis, on and off stage. I guess it's only natural.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Not sure if your referring to my past posts on Parker but i dont blame everything that went wrong for Elvis on Parker but i think Parker was a clever man who had a big influence over Elvis which Red, Sonny etc never had.
I pick on Parker cause he could have been the one to postpone the tours till Elvis was well but he increased them.Wasnt it 150 shows Elvis did in 1977 and that was only 3/4 of the year!!!!

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:32 pm

Getlo wrote:They must have read the drafts for the book as it was written. Dunleavy was in it to make money and the drugs and other sensationalised stories make for a big seller. If they were so concerned they could have asked Dunleavy to make amendments. They didn't.

Elvis was already down and depressed and the book further added to his worry. It did nothing to wake Elvis up and take notice. In fact, Elvis turned more to the drugs after the book came out. Having said that, it was a bad way for Elvis to end working relationships - especially Red West who was there at the start.

Don't forget Red taped Elvis without his knowledge and used it in the book. That's a pretty low down thing to do, so I don't have much sympathy for them. You can see with their smug faces reading the newspaper, they really couldn't have cared less about Elvis.

The unedited interview paints a different picture than the altered interview which was published in the book.
With rats like that around you who needs enemies?
Friends do NOT spread the private life of their friend to the world. Rats do.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:38 pm

Getlo wrote:

Totally disagree.

Red taped that phone call in case it went to court.Perfectly rational thing to do.
In that phone call, Red could have really wound up Elvis and made him say stuff knowing he was taping it but he didnt, Red even told Elvis that most of the book is positive.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:43 pm

Luuk wrote:
Getlo wrote:They must have read the drafts for the book as it was written. Dunleavy was in it to make money and the drugs and other sensationalised stories make for a big seller. If they were so concerned they could have asked Dunleavy to make amendments. They didn't.

The unedited interview paints a different picture than the altered interview which was published in the book.

Yeah but Luuk,

There is a flip side to the coin.

Why didnt Elvis tell Red, Sonny the real reason they were being sacked and not get his Dad to do it??

How hurtful is that??

I can understand their hurt.

Also, im pretty certain that if Elvis had sacked Parker the first thing Parker would have done was to write a book about Elvis and im sure it would have been more vicious than the EWH?? book.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:56 pm

Sean wrote:
Luuk wrote:

Yeah but Luuk,

Why didnt Elvis tell Red, Sonny the real reason they were being sacked and not get his Dad to do it??

How hurtful is that??

Also, im pretty certain that if Elvis had sacked Parker the first thing Parker would have done was to write a book about Elvis and im sure it would have been more vicious than the EWH?? book.

Stay with the fact instead of "What if......"
Elvis never fired Parker. If Elvis would have fired Parker we have no idea if Parker would have written a book.
The West's were sacked because they manhandled fans which lead to lawsuits against Elvis as they were in his employ.
Also Vernon wrote in a letter that he and Elvis could write a book about the bodyguard's antics that would put them to shame but he was above that.
The West's shed what we call crocodile tears. They lost their mealticket and are still looking for ways to get money from Elvis fans. A new book is coming out. Hasn't everything been told?

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:59 pm

pick on Parker cause he could have been the one to postpone the tours till Elvis was well but he increased them.

Elvis needed the money from the tours to stay afloat. His sometimes ridiculous spending, along with the failed racketball venture, and other lawsuits meant Elvis started 1977 in dire financial trouble. With his huge expenses, and dwindling income from royalties etc, I reckon he might have had enough to last him 6 months at the most.

The sad fact is that Elvis couldn't have taken time off even if he wanted to. Now, some of that is down to the colonel in so far as he took more than his fair share, but it's also down to Elvis and the way he spent money.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:03 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:Was the letter written on a toilet paper roll :D
It probably was.Because that's all EWH was fit for.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:04 pm

Luuk wrote:
Sean wrote:
Luuk wrote:

Yeah but Luuk,

How hurtful is that??

Stay with the fact instead of "What if......"
Elvis never fired Parker. If Elvis would have fired Parker we have no idea if Parker would have written a book.
The West's were sacked because they manhandled fans which lead to lawsuits against Elvis as they were in his employ.
Also Vernon wrote in a letter that he and Elvis could write a book about the bodyguard's antics that would put them to shame but he was above that.
The West's shed what we call crocodile tears. They lost their mealticket and are still looking for ways to get money from Elvis fans. A new book is coming out. Hasn't everything been told?

Sorry but thats laughable.

The Wests were sacked cause they manhandled fans?? C,mon Luuk.

Elvis used to go on stage with at least 5 guns on him sometimes and your telling me that Elvis and Vernon were angry about the Wests manhandling his fans.

Elvis even told them that if anyone shoots him on stage they they were ordered to tear the person up.

Im sure Elvis would have preferred the Wests to 'go over the top' rather than hesitate.

Also, i thought that the reason they got sacked was Red threatened to beat up one of the Stanley Boys who were getting pills to Elvis.
Last edited by Guest on Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.