All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:19 pm

I meant an official release.. :wink:

Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:05 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Too bad that Mr. Rijff has left us by the way. The reason I visit this board is because I want to get information / news / opinions about books, bootlegs, regular CDs, DVDs, and FTD releases. And Mr. Rijff did have some very interesting things to say about that.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Agree 100%!

Same here

Come back Ger............we need You :wink:

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:38 am

thekingisalive wrote:The mid-February shows are a bit ruined by Elvis’s cold spell. Even so, the masters from this period are out of this world. It’s amazing to sing so well with a cold.

Per

I agree. The coughing on "Polk Salad Annie" (the FTD) is a bit annoying. But when it comes to the sound of his voice, it had a dark, powerful edge. Any good sounding release from this season is welcome to me.

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:53 am

R.R.Police wrote:
thekingisalive wrote:The mid-February shows are a bit ruined by Elvis’s cold spell. Even so, the masters from this period are out of this world. It’s amazing to sing so well with a cold.

Per

I agree. The coughing on "Polk Salad Annie" (the FTD) is a bit annoying. But when it comes to the sound of his voice, it had a dark, powerful edge. Any good sounding release from this season is welcome to me.

I know, he had a cold during the Memphis sessions of 69 as well, and that was brilliant also!

Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:36 pm

I just received these discs -- yeah, a little slow.

How suspicious should I be about this?

When I ran the soundboard disc through LAME (standard VBR setting) to get it ready for my iPod, I was struck right away by the low average bitrate that resulted on each track, so I jumped right over to compare it to the "source" discs -- True Love Travels on a Gravel Road and Walk a Mile in My Shoes

My quick comparison of averages: LAME says it needs an average bitrate of about 154 for the Walk a Mile in My Shoes disc and about 183 for the True Love Travels on a Gravel Road disc.

BUT for Rock in Black, LAME calls for an average of only about 114 for the tracks from Walk a Mile in My Shoes and about 125 for the tracks from True Love Travels on a Gravel Road.

So overall, I get an average bitrate of about 167 for the "source" discs and only about 119 for Rock in Black -- meaning the source discs' "required" bitrates are about 40 percent higher.

Doesn't that suggest a loss of resolution somewhere along the line before the material made it to the Rock in Black disc?

Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:40 pm

What do your ears tell you?

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:46 pm

Never hate to say anything!!

Sounds like you know a lot more about the technical side of "sound" than me, and probably a lot of us. :)

Sessions - where'd your post go - you making me look stoopid?? :wink:
Last edited by BigredG on Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:47 pm

FYI, sorry BIGREDG, I sort of pulled the rug out from under you there.

Explanation to follow ...
Last edited by elvissessions on Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:48 pm

s'ok

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:54 pm

Here's why I removed a post -- unfortunately not in time to keep things from being confusing for people:

Track for track, I prefer the originals to the new release, and that's based on making sure the levels are matched.

Unfortunately, my technical analysis of WHY I prefer one over the other turned out to be a little simplistic, based on spot checks of only a couple of waveforms.

I now see that as I look at other tracks, my analysis was incomplete. I still hear what I hear, but the differences in what I see aren't glaring enough to account for what my ears are telling me.

This is going to take a little more analysis than I can give it right now, unfortunately.

I wanted to post some samples, but I'm still trying to figure out for sure what the fairest way to present them is.

I welcome others' comparisons in the meantime.

Sorry for any confusion.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:49 am

Anyone else's digi-pak starting to fall apart? :smt017

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:18 am

No. I listened to it once and carefully put it on the shelf with the rest of them. I've never had one fall apart just sitting there.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:30 am

Not enough glue on mine! :( :lol:

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:20 pm

Mine was kinda loose on the right tray too!!

I guess they did not want to overdo the glue and obscure the picture behind the tray!!