All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Rock In Black

Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:40 pm

Anyone out there in FECC land apart from me got this new double CD yet?

Got mine on Friday, and am very impressed with the overall package, and also the sound improvement for Opening Night. The previous releases were not pleasant listening, but here the sound is very "enjoyable".

Congratulations to the SR crew on this one - definitely a cut above!! :)

Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:15 pm

HI BIGREDG, looks very good to me, thanks for posting the pics, can`t wait till I get my copy in a few days :D

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:21 pm

Got mine last week too, a very nice package.

Not too sure about the second cd though (quality not great), but the first (Opening night) will be played a lot over the next few days.

Overall, worth having for the collecton. 8)

SOUND

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:26 pm

Hi there "Bigred",

Could you tell us a little more as to why you say the sound is improved. I need a little convincing in order to buy EVERYTHING twice!!

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:34 pm

Promocollector wrote:Not too sure about the second cd though (quality not great)

I'm kinda with you there. I know the sound has been worked on as I heard some extracts of the source tape a while back, including an "a:b" sample, but it still is a bit lacking in places.

It does provide an interesting insight as to how the engagement progressed and how Elvis loosened up into his new repertoire. The dialogue is easily audible which is always a plus on such recordings!!

Tony, I find the sound on WAMIMs to be very rough, with sound/mic overload dominating much of the CD. Here they seem to have smoothed that out - obviously you cannot entirely get rid of Mike overload, but the overall sound is much more pleasurable. Sorry I cannot give you a more technically compelling answer!!

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am

I'm expecting my copy very soon. Can't wait to hear Disc 1 (opening night). E in 1970, what more could a fan ask for! 8)

Re: Rock In Black

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:14 pm

BIGREDG wrote:Anyone out there in FECC land apart from me got this new double CD yet?

I'm pretty sure mine is in flight from across the pond as I type.

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:51 pm

Spoke with a couple of other fans over the weekend, who are not on the board, and they have it and agree with me regarding the sound improvement and overall prettiness of the set.

It's a cracker :lol:

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:56 pm

Yeah, i have this and overall pleased with it.

Mainly for Disc 1.

Disc 2 is an audience recording from MS Feb,1970. It also has 4 tracks from the DS of that day which the sound quality is not as good as the MS.

The MS quality is good but not great.

My only complaint it should have been a single CD release with Disc 1, with 55 minutes running time they could have put highlights from Feb 22nd on it to fill the CD up.

That would have been a much better release.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:59 pm

Sean wrote:My only complaint it should have been a single CD release with Disc 1, with 55 minutes running time they could have put highlights from Feb 22nd on it to fill the CD up.

That would have been a much better release.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:24 pm

I like the release. It is well done and the sound has been improved.

8)

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:01 am

Great digipack release from SR. I really like that they have done a good work with the difficult overload mike problem of the OS show. Elvis in Feb 70 and especially in this 26 Jan 70 Opening show are probably the last time he REALLY rocked the 50's classic songs. I will buy this opening show every time someone will release it as I live in hope that someone could remove the overload problem forever without tracking down Elvis voice. Maybe a impossible task, but I keep hoping 8)

Sincerely

Kenneth

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:23 am

Kenneth wrote:I really like that they have done a good work with the difficult overload mike problem of the OS show.

So true. I thought those problems could not be adequately adressed, but they have worked wonders there. It sounds better than I thought possible :D

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:08 am

I got it a few days ago, I`ve been listening to both cd`s and they are both great shows, but as it has been said already, cd 2 don`t have the best sound. At first it seems that he still had a little 69 style to his singing, it rocks alright 8) .
On cd 2 I was a little surprised to hear that he actually used the words "We`ll put you on a bommer" during Don`t cry daddy. Well, I know he did the same thing on "Bright star", but that was not ON STAGE :o

I`m glad that I got this package :D

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:26 am

BIGREDG wrote:Anyone out there in FECC land apart from me got this new double CD yet?

Got mine on Friday, and am very impressed with the overall package, and also the sound improvement for Opening Night. The previous releases were not pleasant listening, but here the sound is very "enjoyable".

That's the type of revisionistic thinking that I absolutely deplore. When this material was first released people were up in their arms, now all of a sudden these old releases are described as being "unpleasant listening" while this reissue is "very enjoyable". What kind of crap is that? Can't the producers at least give some credit to the people they "recycled" (i.e. stole) the original material from? It's a sad state if bootleggers are taking these kind of cheap shots at each other, I guess that's pretty much what the bootleg scene has come down to at this stage in the game...

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:39 pm

thenexte wrote:

That's the type of revisionistic thinking that I absolutely deplore. When this material was first released people were up in their arms, now all of a sudden these old releases are described as being "unpleasant listening" while this reissue is "very enjoyable". What kind of crap is that? Can't the producers at least give some credit to the people they "recycled" (i.e. stole) the original material from? It's a sad state if bootleggers are taking these kind of cheap shots at each other, I guess that's pretty much what the bootleg scene has come down to at this stage in the game...

:shock: :shock: :shock: It is hardly revisionist thinking. Those Cds were relatively good when they came out, but the new version is much better. Is that so hard to accept? It's called progress.

I don''t recall Fort Baxter "giving credit" to BMG on the original release :roll:

I don't see this as bootleggers taking cheap shots at anybody. Just making something better. If you are sympathising with the original stealers of the tapes, I am sure they made their money back many times over long ago!!

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:41 pm

elvisa wrote:I was a little surprised to hear that he actually used the words "We`ll put you on a bommer" during Don`t cry daddy.

Can some one clarify what exactly this means? Is it Bomber, bummer or bommer :?: :?: :?:

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:48 pm

I don’t agree with you, Kenneth. Elvis REALLY rocked the ’50s classics in August too, and on occasion later in his career also, most notably "A Big Hunk o’ Love" in 1972.

Per

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:11 pm

He,He BIGREDG, I always think of an airplane/bomber when I hear it, sorry for spelling wrong, but I don`t know if that`s what he actually meant while singing it. :?
I don`t know what bommer and bummer means, thoose words are not in my translation book :lol:

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:17 pm

Bummer, means make you depressed but it definitely sounds like bomber both on Rock In Black & Brightest Star.

I have no idea what that could mean though - anyone?????

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:11 pm

thekingisalive wrote:I don’t agree with you, Kenneth. Elvis REALLY rocked the ’50s classics in August too, and on occasion later in his career also, most notably "A Big Hunk o’ Love" in 1972.

Per

Yes, that was probably too hard to predict by me as some of them are still very good such as Blue Suede Shoes, Heartbreak Hotel and I Got A Woman :lol: But, to be more specific I can't hardly find any 50s classic except from Love Me from the great show 12 Aug 70 MS that is equal or better than the versions from the Jan/feb gig. Ok, I Got A Woman are good and especially the version from 13 Aug 70 DS which is great, but no version beat the 23. Feb 70 Closing. And I'am talking about songs that was performed in both engagements. I can't find other songs either from Vegas Aug/Sept that is equal or better than the Jan/Feb 70 shows. The Aug/Sept shows generally lacks the fire compared to his second Vegas-gig.

Well, that's my opinion :wink:

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:30 pm

Well, "Hound Dog" is amazing, and so is "All Shook Up". "Don’t Be Cruel" is also very good. At least he dropped the medley in August.

"That’s All Right" from the August 12 midnight show blows the original SUN recording out of the water. The version from the June 10, 1972 afternoon show is almost as good as the August 12 version.

Elvis was a more accomplished singer and entertainer in August than in February. The shows were better too.

Per

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:42 pm

"That’s All Right" from the August 12 midnight show blows the original SUN recording out of the water.

You're hurting the 50's junkies now :lol:

Elvis was a more accomplished singer and entertainer in August than in February. The shows were better too.

Per [/quote]

For about 15 years ago I were agree, but I changed my mind a long time ago after going through every song and shows from the recordings we have from both engagements.

Kenneth

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:50 pm

The mid-February shows are a bit ruined by Elvis’s cold spell. Even so, the masters from this period are out of this world. It’s amazing to sing so well with a cold.

Cold or no, there is no doubt that the second Vegas season is awesome. My favorite Vegas seasons are the first three, the seventh, the twelfth, and the fourteenth. I also love the eleventh because of the rare material and Elvis’s weird frame of mind.

Per

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:58 pm

thekingisalive wrote:The mid-February shows are a bit ruined by Elvis’s cold spell. Even so, the masters from this period are out of this world. It’s amazing to sing so well with a cold.

Cold or no, there is no doubt that the second Vegas season is awesome. My favorite Vegas seasons are the first three, the seventh, the twelfth, and the fourteenth. I also love the eleventh because of the rare material and Elvis’s weird frame of mind.

Per

Oh yes, first three are fantastic. My other favorites are Jan/feb 71, first half of Aug/Sept 71, first half of Aug/Sept 72, second half of Aug/Sept 74 and all the March/April 75 shows.

Take care, now I have to get my kids into bed :lol:

Sincerely

Kenneth