All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:31 am

Eddie wrote:Chris does seem to have quite the chip on his shoulder and unable to post without sarcasm or acid tongue.

Ah ha! Finally someone that understands me!

(Oops, that would be sarcasm again. Sorry about that).

Chris

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:02 am

To quote an infamous agent from the movies;

ooooooh behave!

The way things are going, I see that this board will probably be shut down again in the near future - heartbreaking as that is - if we can't put things back together, folks!

Do we really need to piss each other off this way?

I'm not an easy person to wind up, but seeing this bitching at each other only a few days after this magnificent board reopened (so to speak), is a hard fact to handle!

I suggest we all take a deep breath and continue contributing to this board in a respectful manner - meaning that we can respect each others different opinions.

Just my 2 cents, folks...

Best Regards
Kristian

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:16 am

It should be noted I did some minor deletions on this thread...

Because of a complaint.....

It should also be noted there may need to be further deletions
if some feel I have not deleted enough, however to be fair
and to waste No further time with this nonsense, sadly this
whole thread may be completely deleted....

The choice is yours?

May I suggest who ever is not seeing eye to eye or not
getting along to either bail from the thread or if you feel
you want to continue to contribute to the thread do So only
if you plan to offer construtive information related to the
thread with out any personal attacks of any kind.....

Once again if personal attacks continue from this point on
in this thread the risk of deleting the whole thread is more
possible than not, as I may not take any more time to edit
here or edit there....

I leave it in your hands people....to do the right thing :wink:

Thank you :D

PEP 8)

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:55 am

Scott Hayward wrote:
jess wade wrote:We have huge Elvis news.....We cannot announce all the plans now, but we will have a big announcement to make in a few weeks. Stay tuned to HTF for further details. ELVIS fans are going to be
VERY VERY HAPPY!

HTF ? whats that stand for ?

Home Theater Forum.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com

Thank you Scott
jess wade :D

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:08 am

While this thread is completely off the tracks, I'd like to add some personal thoughts.

PEP and others, none of this is meant as a personal attack, but only as observations that I mean quite sincerely and without rancor.

Obviously this board has been through a few things recently, and I suppose our perceptions of what happened and why are our own, but I would like to make note of a trend that I find troubling.

I have no problem, frankly, if two users -- or more -- take themselves into a cul-de-sac and fight it ought in an escalating debate. It's natural enough that things might get heated, and if, say, Genesim and I -- to use a real-life example -- decide that we're going to beat each other bloody for 10 or 12 rounds. So be it.

Generally such things happen in an off-topic area and build over time and have been treated as sport, if occasionally sometimes a messy sport. The participants see it coming, carry it forward and give as good as they get.

I understand if this squabbling bothers some people, but frankly it's my opinion that such things are fair -- if not always clean -- fights. Certainly it's noise pollution and ought to be curbed, but I don't think anyone needs to feel too bad about it all. Even friends fight.

What I cannot stand, and what I think has become increasingly common here, are users who blindside others, especially victims who are posting succinctly and on-topic.

There are a couple of old-timers who enjoy a snarky tone and engage in sucker punches, and frankly I've never much cared for it. But I think I could demonstrate pretty clearly with a list of names and examples that this has become more widespread and more frequent.

Yes, I'll admit, I fell victim to this today myself, though certainly not for the first time. One aside of mine in a completely on-topic conversation apparently was seen as an opportunity to critique the way I live my life by -- God forbid -- actually enjoying an Elvis Presley-related event.

I don't really care to rehash the unpleasantness, and I thank the moderator PEP for removing all traces of it. I bring it up only as an example that, I'll admit, actually bothered me a lot.

The attack was unprovoked, unneccessary and was carried out for no other reason than to be unkind. As I'm sure all can tell, I took it extremely personally, but why wouldn't I, as I took it exactly the way it was intended?

So, moving on to the current situation: If someone wants to ask Tom what his source is, and if he chooses to respond -- quite well, I think -- as he did earlier in this thread, I think that's fair. I could even stand to see somebody say, "Oh, OK then, pardon me if I wait for sourced confirmation." Even that may be unnecessary, but once enough.

But if somebody's posting on-topic with their personal observations, I don't see any reason for contempt, especially serial contempt.

So in conclusion, for God's sake, ChrisM, we get it. Your point was made months ago. Now you are just following Tom from innocuous thread to innocuous thread (on-topic and off-topic) and stirring things up.

Along the way, you're derailing perfectly good conversations and creating a backlash, even against yourself.

I'd just ask people to save their random scornful comments for people who are violating the terms of use or committing similar truly egregious acts. There certainly have been enough of those if folks feel they need a punching bag.

How about letting the rest of us talk about Elvis in a peaceable manner?

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:55 am

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:To quote an infamous agent from the movies;

ooooooh behave!
:) ....

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:10 am

Hey Tom, I was just thinking .. would Warner be up to re-release the old batch of 8 DVD's [GI Blues, Blue Hawaii] in High Def format ?? I would buy such an upgrade ... [damn, I just said that ??]

Peter

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:26 am

memphisflash wrote:Hey Tom, I was just thinking .. would Warner be up to re-release the old batch of 8 DVD's [GI Blues, Blue Hawaii] in High Def format ?? I would buy such an upgrade ... [damn, I just said that ??]

Peter

paramount own those films not warner/mgm will paramount do high def format ?

jess wade

Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:12 am

memphisflash wrote:Hey Tom, I was just thinking .. would Warner be up to re-release the old batch of 8 DVD's [GI Blues, Blue Hawaii] in High Def format ?? I would buy such an upgrade ... [damn, I just said that ??]

Peter,
As HD DVD continues its escalation to becoming the norm, I have no doubt that studios will start dipping into their back catalogs and re-releasing more and more in that format. Unfortunately, the expense of converting these films over to HD is monumental (but going down), so I wouldn't look for the likes of a GI Blues or Blue Hawaii anytime soon. My guess would be that the newer SE's, be they TTWII, On Tour, Viva Las Vegas, TIE, or whatever they choose to release will see an HD upgrade sooner than the rest of the Elvis library. From a financial stand point, they are much more likely to go ahead and convert it to HD, while they are working on the standard DVD SE. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Tom

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:16 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:My guess would be that the newer SE's, be they TTWII, On Tour, Viva Las Vegas, TIE

Sneaky! :wink:

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:39 am

Cryogenic wrote:
Tom in North Carolina wrote:My guess would be that the newer SE's, be they TTWII, On Tour, Viva Las Vegas, TIE

Sneaky! :wink:

That's our Tom !!! :wink:

:lol:

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:50 am

Thanks tom can you say if the rest of the dvds are coming out this year ie
Charro / kissin cousins / Girl happy / stay away joe / live a little etc..thanks

Jess wade

Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:17 pm

It'd be awesome if SEs come out of those two movies. I would anticipate a class product since Warner/MGM kicks butt on this type of stuff.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:28 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:My guess would be that the newer SE's, be they TTWII, On Tour, Viva Las Vegas, TIE, or whatever they choose to release will see an HD upgrade sooner than the rest of the Elvis library.

Andrew Solt said in an interview recently that the SE of This is Elvis planned for 2007 had been shelved precisely because an HD transfer was not financially viable. A standard def release of the existing extended cut is the best we can hope for any time soon.

And everyone seems to be forgetting that an SE of That's The Way It Is was released on DVD 5 years ago. It didn't sell particularly well either, so yet another new version seems unlikely.

HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is still in it's infancy. There are thousands of films that offer a more commercially attractive proposition than anything in the Elvis catalogue. It would surprise me if we saw any Elvis HD content this decade.

(This is just my opinion, nothing more nothing less, my intention is not to offend and I apologize if I have done so)

Chris

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:45 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:TTWII, On Tour, Viva Las Vegas, TIE

Tom

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

JEFF d
EAP fan

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:44 am

jess wade wrote:Thanks tom can you say if the rest of the dvds are coming out this year ie
Charro / kissin cousins / Girl happy / stay away joe / live a little etc..thanks

Jess wade

I have no information to share on this subject.

Tom

P.S. I'm so damned tired of these incessantly judgmental and belittling posts. I'm done.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:08 am

Tom in North Carolina wrote:P.S. I'm so damned tired of these incessantly judgmental and belittling posts.

So am I.

Rich

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:27 am

Rich_TCB wrote:
Tom in North Carolina wrote:P.S. I'm so damned tired of these incessantly judgmental and belittling posts.

So am I.

Rich

Me three.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:47 pm

IF you havent seen it here´s a reply from todd morgan regarding the dvd´s from warner Bros.

sadly nothing new yet

Taking " from Elvis news "

Last week several sites mentioned possible big news for Elvis fans from Warner Bros. The source was a chat with Warner Home Video on the Home Theater Forum.

From the transcript:

" Hello. I’m a fan of Elvis Presley. Many fans around the world and I want to know: are there any plans for a single or multi disc package of the concert documentaries, “That’s The Way It Is” and “Elvis On Tour", with unreleased concert and rehearsal footage? Thank you.

We have huge Elvis news.....We cannot announce all the plans now, but we will have a big announcement to make in a few weeks. Stay tuned to HTF for further details. ELVIS fans are going to be VERY VERY HAPPY!"

We asked EPE's Todd Morgan for a reply on this matter:

"We are not at liberty to comment about any Elvis DVD plans Warner Brothers might have until they indicate to us that they are ready to announce something."

You can read the transcript on the Home Theater Forum website.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:55 am

Hello,

A couple of thoughts.

Would this link indicate that the remaining films are coming out on DVD in the near future?

http://www.elvis.com/elvisdvds/elvis-movies/

It appears that there are plans to create a web page by EPE at some point. Read into it what you want but I think we're gonna be getting the remaining films on DVD. Why else would they have such a page to begin with?

Somebody mentioned special editions of Jailhouse Rock, Viva Las Vegas TTWII and EOT. Among the responses were concerns that the special editions of Jailhouse Rock and Viva Las Vegas would only include talking heads. Well, if some of you may recall, there is a colorized version of Jailhouse Rock that was put out on VHS oh so many years ago. Combine this with the original b&w and a few talking heads and there you go, you have a deluxe, special, whatever the hell you want to call it edition. As for Viva Las Vegas, wouldn't it be cool if there were filmed performances of songs that Elvis recorded but weren't used in the film such as "Night Life" "Do The Vega" etc. If Warner is able to secure an in-depth interview with Ann-Margret, it would be well worth it to have a special edition of VLV. To me though, I've always felt the transfer used on previous DVD incarnations of this film were blurry at best and a cleaner print of the film would be a welcome additon to my collection.

For TTWII I would present a 3 DVD set that featured the original film, the 2000 re-edit, as well as a multitude of additional performances from both the rehearsals and live performances. I would break down the performances based on the best performances from each rehearsal and live show. I would present the original film in 5.1, clean up the picture as well as present the special edition from 2000 and the additional outtakes.

Why does it seem that everyone thinks that "Elvis On Tour" needs to be re-edited? FOR GOD'S SAKE, IT WON A GOLDEN GLOBE. IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE RE-EDITED. DIDN'T ANYONE LEARN ANYTHING FROM THE TTWII -SPECIAL EDITION IN 2000? Like I said, present the original film in 5.1, as well as the best of the mock session, the rehearsals, and the live performances and I'll be one "VERY, VERY HAPPY ELVIS FAN", to quote the guy from HTF. Start tampering with the original and I'll be forced to go back and watch my VHS of the original.

For TIE, I would present a 2 DVD set featuring the original theatric version as well as the extended home video version. Obviously, I would include the theatrical trailer for TIE, something that I've never seen before and I would also include bonus features such as complete clips of some of the press conferences, etc that was used in making the film.

As for the petty bickering going on between TINC and ChrisM, please put an end to it. It's embarrassing, whether either of you two realize it or not. I would like to see the 30th Anniversary as successful or even more successful than the 25th. While some fans think that is impossible, I do not. I for one think that the 30th Anniversary is going to be the end for Elvis fans.

Daryl

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:58 am

Daryl wrote:Hello,

A couple of thoughts.

Would this link indicate that the remaining films are coming out on DVD in the near future?

http://www.elvis.com/elvisdvds/elvis-movies/

It appears that there are plans to create a web page by EPE at some point. Read into it what you want but I think we're gonna be getting the remaining films on DVD. Why else would they have such a page to begin with?

Somebody mentioned special editions of Jailhouse Rock, Viva Las Vegas TTWII and EOT. Among the responses were concerns that the special editions of Jailhouse Rock and Viva Las Vegas would only include talking heads. Well, if some of you may recall, there is a colorized version of Jailhouse Rock that was put out on VHS oh so many years ago. Combine this with the original b&w and a few talking heads and there you go, you have a deluxe, special, whatever the hell you want to call it edition. As for Viva Las Vegas, wouldn't it be cool if there were filmed performances of songs that Elvis recorded but weren't used in the film such as "Night Life" "Do The Vega" etc. If Warner is able to secure an in-depth interview with Ann-Margret, it would be well worth it to have a special edition of VLV. To me though, I've always felt the transfer used on previous DVD incarnations of this film were blurry at best and a cleaner print of the film would be a welcome additon to my collection.

For TTWII I would present a 3 DVD set that featured the original film, the 2000 re-edit, as well as a multitude of additional performances from both the rehearsals and live performances. I would break down the performances based on the best performances from each rehearsal and live show. I would present the original film in 5.1, clean up the picture as well as present the special edition from 2000 and the additional outtakes.

Why does it seem that everyone thinks that "Elvis On Tour" needs to be re-edited? FOR GOD'S SAKE, IT WON A GOLDEN GLOBE. IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE RE-EDITED. DIDN'T ANYONE LEARN ANYTHING FROM THE TTWII -SPECIAL EDITION IN 2000? Like I said, present the original film in 5.1, as well as the best of the mock session, the rehearsals, and the live performances and I'll be one "VERY, VERY HAPPY ELVIS FAN", to quote the guy from HTF. Start tampering with the original and I'll be forced to go back and watch my VHS of the original.

For TIE, I would present a 2 DVD set featuring the original theatric version as well as the extended home video version. Obviously, I would include the theatrical trailer for TIE, something that I've never seen before and I would also include bonus features such as complete clips of some of the press conferences, etc that was used in making the film.

As for the petty bickering going on between TINC and ChrisM, please put an end to it. It's embarrassing, whether either of you two realize it or not. I would like to see the 30th Anniversary as successful or even more successful than the 25th. While some fans think that is impossible, I do not. I for one think that the 30th Anniversary is going to be the end for Elvis fans.

Daryl

yep after August, thats it, no more Elvis.. uhhh nails on a chalkboard!! :roll:

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:16 pm

Daryl wrote:there is a colorized version of Jailhouse Rock that was put out on VHS oh so many years ago. Combine this with the original b&w and a few talking heads and there you go

Colorized movies are generally considered passé today and I doubt that Jailhouse Rock will ever get released on DVD in this way.

Daryl wrote:For TTWII I would present a 3 DVD set that featured the original film, the 2000 re-edit, as well as a multitude of additional performances

The single disc SE was a commercial failure, so I really can't see further investment in a triple disc set.

Daryl wrote:Why does it seem that everyone thinks that "Elvis On Tour" needs to be re-edited?

Not "everyone" does. Regardless of the artistic merits, I doubt that a re-cut version is commercially viable at this point.

Daryl wrote:For TIE, I would present a 2 DVD set featuring the original theatric version as well as the extended home video version.

How would the huge duplication be justified? The extra scenes don't change the overall tone, like they can in a dramatic movie. You could get pretty close to the threatrical version by just watching the extended version and hitting the "skip chapter" button occassionally.

These "wish lists" are harmless enough and indeed, I would buy all of the DVDs you describe above. However, the reality is that there is no longer a large enough market for productions like this. It should be remembered that it is very expensive to work with the original film elements of 30-40 year old movies. It hasn't been done for an Elvis movie since 2000 and I am afraid that interest has literally died off considerabley since then.

Chris

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:17 pm

You may be right Chris, but I am not sure. Some of EPs recent DVDs have sold very well (-68 and Aloha).

I don't see the point in releasing TIE in more than one version. The extended version would be just fine with me. I think that restoration of EOT and outtakes from EOT and TTWII is the most interesting stuff.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:17 pm

Sure would like to see a full concert from 72 being released as a stand alone DVD. Did any complete shows get filmed or just parts for EOT?

With all the footage available, Warner could really get some mileage out of it; mouth-watering prospect!!

Then there's the lost songs that were left off TTWII for the SE. In the right hands, all great for stand-alone commercial projects.

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:56 pm

samses wrote:Some of EPs recent DVDs have sold very well (-68 and Aloha)

The difference with those releases is that the source material was video tape which is cheaper to restore/edit than film. Hence, fewer sales were needed to break even.

Chris