All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:47 pm

"Everything has a begining and to understand the end, you need to start at the beginning...that's a fact. To understand Elvis fully, you have to start at the beginning....."

I think thats true in a way. BUT you can't expect the newcommers to start chronologically and by doing that get the full (sound)picture of Elvis. On the other hand I think, that when you have listened for a while and found out the variety of material EP has recorded or sung, then you will be interested in its development. Pesonally I favor the 70'ies but I sure wouldn't live without the rest. And furthermore I think it's very interesting and learning to listen to original versions of song Elvis covered or to som of the music we know HE listend to.

Re: when sun

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:49 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Its Valentines day, today?

A beautiful day to leave here.

Bye.

Ger has left ? i sure hope this is not true he is a great poster and this site will not be the same with out him imo .

jess

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:09 pm

jess wade wrote:

Bye.

Ger has left ? i sure hope this is not true he is a great poster and this site will not be the same with out him imo .

jess

Yes Ger has left.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:25 pm

ger has left my heart bleeds christ what is it with these people he has left the mb because some one had a pop at him how huffy can you be. ger has done a lot for the elvis world i love the fact that he is a 50s fan as i am a 50s fan allso i agree with most of what he has posted.most of his posts have been great but grow up ger and stop throwing your rattle out of your pram and just get on with your good posts and stop moaning you sound like my old granny.

Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:17 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Amen, to LTB and great analysis of the genius of "Heartbreak Hotel," the blues and other "simple music." Likewise, we can extend that to "That's All Right" or "Blue Moon" or any other timeless tunes of the '50s.

"Kenneth," earn your keep around here. I have no need to defend myself to a "newbie" who calls the Sun Sessions "childish." I just say have a little respect to Ger (even if he was way too cranky) unless you're prepared to offer us your contributions to the Elvis world.

"newbie, newbie, newbie, childish, childish" come along and sing that song with me. :lol: Today, I have played "You're A Heartbreaker" to my 6 years old daughter and "strange" enough my daughter at 3 years old thought that was a great song too. They danced and typers flies all over the room. They are both agree that Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain and Bitter They Are Harder They Fall was not the best, but I know that they like it more when they turns 30 years old. :lol:
God, I should never played the Sun-records for my children, .... :wink:
And next time me and my Elvis-buddies have a party we will not play That's All Right from Vegas 26 Jan 70 OS but That's All Right from 1954. I promise you Sun-lovers that this will cause laughter :lol:

Sincerely

Kenneth

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:03 pm

Kenneth wrote:And next time me and my Elvis-buddies have a party we will not play That's All Right from Vegas 26 Jan 70 OS but That's All Right from 1954. I promise you Sun-lovers that this will cause laughter :lol:

Elvis Costello ??

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:59 pm

sid wrote:
Tell you what......get in touch with Ger........ask him if I should go to the naughty spot........I have a feeling he may say Yes but only if only he can come with me

:wink:
Tell Greg Sid something that I think he does not know and thus the reason IMO that he thinks you are naughty! :shock: ....The fact that maybe he does not know you are a girl!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smt005 :smt005 :smt022 :smt021 ..oh !Sorry ! :)

Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:08 pm

JLGB wrote:
sid wrote:
Tell you what......get in touch with Ger........ask him if I should go to the naughty spot........I have a feeling he may say Yes but only if only he can come with me

:wink:
Tell Greg Sid something that I think he does not know and thus the reason IMO that he thinks you are naughty! :shock: ....The fact that maybe he does not know you are a girl!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smt005 :smt005 :smt022 :smt021 ..oh !Sorry ! :)

YIKES JL

I thought he may have guessed I mean I'm sure Ger doesn't go around calling guys Baby :wink: :lol:

Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:30 am

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:... he has got a more inflated ego and temper than his entire book collection.

Ger's entire book collection has an inflated ego and temper? I'd stay out of THAT library if I were you.

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:03 am

Going way back to Ger's post that started this thread - It seems as if he is sensing the end of an era for long-term Elvis fans particularly those whose strongest interest is the 1950s stuff.

Firstly, he's worried that the forthcoming FTD book & CDs will be the final word on our beloved Sun era. After all the years of speculation about unreleased tracks etc he appears to feel that the final chapter will have been written, and Ernst's work (however much we want it) will forever shut the lid on Elvis at Sun.

But we've been done this road before with the Sun compilations: The Sun sessions 1979, The complete Sun sessions 1987, and Sunrise 1999. [Anyone detecting a pattern here?] Each has been 'complete' at the time and then new things have turned up like session outakes, Hayride recordings, the first demo acetate discs, radio station recordings etc to make them incomplete.

So, let's expect (and hope!) that six months after the final, ultimate, all-there-is-to-say, COMPLETE FTD book and CDs something completely unexpected will turn up. Even if there's never any more unearthed recordings of any kind (which seems unlikely) there's sure to be more photos, stories, facts etc that will emerge. The Sun story will never be 'done and dusted' as Ger fears.

It appears that Ger senses the end of an era with the closure of the Elvis at Sun story. This he then links to the arrival of newer, younger fans who appear to be uninterested in fifties Elvis and who prefer the later years. He is also appalled by the level of debate that many new 'fans' bring to this MB.

This is just my take on Ger's intial post that has started this sprawling discussion. He's obviously touched a few nerves and stirred up a regular hornet's nest!

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:17 am

The Purple Gang wrote:Going way back to Ger's post that started this thread - It seems as if he is sensing the end of an era for long-term Elvis fans particularly those whose strongest interest is the 1950s stuff.

Firstly, he's worried that the forthcoming FTD book & CDs will be the final word on our beloved Sun era. After all the years of speculation about unreleased tracks etc he appears to feel that the final chapter will have been written, and Ernst's work (however much we want it) will forever shut the lid on Elvis at Sun.

But we've been done this road before with the Sun compilations: The Sun sessions 1979, The complete Sun sessions 1987, and Sunrise 1999. [Anyone detecting a pattern here?] Each has been 'complete' at the time and then new things have turned up like session outakes, Hayride recordings, the first demo acetate discs, radio station recordings etc to make them incomplete.

So, let's expect (and hope!) that six months after the final, ultimate, all-there-is-to-say, COMPLETE FTD book and CDs something completely unexpected will turn up. Even if there's never any more unearthed recordings of any kind (which seems unlikely) there's sure to be more photos, stories, facts etc that will emerge. The Sun story will never be 'done and dusted' as Ger fears.

It appears that Ger senses the end of an era with the closure of the Elvis at Sun story. This he then links to the arrival of newer, younger fans who appear to be uninterested in fifties Elvis and who prefer the later years. He is also appalled by the level of debate that many new 'fans' bring to this MB.

This is just my take on Ger's intial post that has started this sprawling discussion. He's obviously touched a few nerves and stirred up a regular hornet's nest!

The Purple Gang, the more I think about, the more I believe you're right. As much as we didn't get along, I certainly didn't want him to leave. We all have our bad days. Some of us, ( myself included ) have a bad week where we can be mean spirited, or argumentative on these sites. No matter what, we all know how Ger feels about the fifties, as that is his love as far as EP's work goes, but at the same time, a lot of us grew up in a different era, and thus the fifties, though important, not as important as it is to him and vice-versa.

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:27 am

carolynlm wrote:If Ger has gone for good, then that's sad....He is an asset to this board...and to the Elvis World in general....so what if he got a bit annoyed with you younger blokes....we have reached an age where we can get annoyed if we feel like it. I think frustrated was a better example. Someone is trying to teach you about a subject they know better than their own lives, and you just want to put that knowledge down.
We all have our different era's we like more than others, but I say yet again, you cannot ignore one era over another. Dont you like history, don't you want to know where and how you got here? Don't you want to know what it was like to live in a country other than your own in the 50's and 60's...I do, that's for sure. Grow up, Ger deserves more respect than he was given.

I agree with this Carol..Ger certainly knows his Elvis history, and is a great contributor here...even though not all agree with him. I really hope that he hasn't left here for good, that would be a very big loss to this board. Hey we're all fans with one main interest and thats Elvis. :D

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:33 am

Hey Folks hang on a minute, this is starting to sound like an obituary here.

Why don't people just drop it now. If Ger having a break leave him to enjoy it

And I certainly don't think for one minute anyone from here ''made'' him go.

Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:57 am

wow this posts got legs 6 pages allready.

Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:05 am

i'm extremely sorry if my comments caused anyone harm. i admit that i'm harsh with the way i report what i've met among the unconverted--but it has merit. what everybody knows isn't going to make them suddenly change their opinions on it. it is a bit like flogging a dead horse. though, i feel, at least, that i've at least gotten people to consider him as a serious artist by letting them hear material they haven't been introduced to yet.

which is the basis of my entire philosophy of the '70s output being the best bet to pulling in new fans.

some people enter through the '50s music (like me), and some need to hear the later output to appreciate the earlier.

Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:50 am

shanebrown wrote:Carolyn, I have never seen people putting ger down on this board until this thread.

God forbid, if this mb will be filled with even more brainles topics,

than we already have from young guys gettin' a hard on cooking

up set lists of songs he should have performed... but didnt.

Or more "whats your favourite tv Live performance?"- and leaving

out all 50s performances on a list to choose from...

... Two years ago, when I first came to this site, a lot was going

on... these days its going downhill fast. Kindergarten have taken

over. Many contributers have left, or were kicked off.

... Are we all running out of fuel lately... I am.

However, with passages such as the above, Ger does deserve to be knocked. He himself has just knocked down the young people who have found their way to the board and are going to be keeping Presley alive for many years to come. It appears that even Ger is now believing in some kind of hierarchy within the fan world - and that is very sad, I think. No matter how much knowledge you have, there is no reason to knock others for their particular area of interest or the way in which they display their interest.

That's right Shane. There's a thread from a week or so ago where Ger refers to some folks on this board as a$$-kissing parrots. That was out of line. I posted a response but it either didn't go through or was quickly deleted. I'm not sure which. Regardless, if Ger is so unhappy with the direction of this board that he's got to resort to insults then maybe he should seek out another mb more to his liking. This board should be about discussion.

Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:50 am

That's the key, but I guess part of the trouble with the free-wheeling and inventive aspect of the internet, specifically a messageboard, is that there is clearly no editor.

We have moderators, but by and large, it's a free and rather democratic forum. Now that sounds terrific but it also means that it makes regularly for an uneasy balance in terms of knowledge, experience, etc.

Personally, I'm fine with it, but I do understand Ger's burst of frustration here and think he's earned the right to occasional crankiness - more than any of us here, be it Shane, Pete, Kenneth, or myself ...or certainly Scott. :lol: I don't like what Shane quoted but in context, it's totally fine.

More importantly, I do think "The Purple Gang" nails Ger's more important point and sense that the road is winding down:

The Purple Gang wrote:Going way back to Ger's post that started this thread - It seems as if he is sensing the end of an era for long-term Elvis fans particularly those whose strongest interest is the 1950s stuff.

This is just my take on Ger's initial post that has started this sprawling discussion. He's obviously touched a few nerves and stirred up a regular hornet's nest!

Well said, P.G. And you're right: one holds out hope that the the hunt for rarities will continue. After all, even Ernst concedes that he has had to put put a deadline on the completion of his Sun book /CD project (see other thread), which means that he senses that it's going to just keep coming...

EIN – Of course everyone has to work to a timeline and at some point you have to stop the research and publish the book.

Ernst – (laughing) I’ve gotten to the point where I feel I’m going to lose a friend when I’m no longer working on this book.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=

As for Ger, I have suspect he'll be back eventually, if he takes a breather from the FECC looney bin.

It's just not as wild anymore without Jesse Gardener, Moe-Rice Kolgan and Jaykisha, who I noticed still masquerades in drag over at the official Elvis board as some kind of 22-year black girl, along with about 5 or 6 sad souls who haven't yet caught on and actually listen to "her" reports from "the streets." It's just over-the-top stupid over there.

You see, Ger, this is actually a more sane forum than it used to be. :lol:
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:56 am

I am always aware of the 50s Elvis, i've never ignored him. But i feel that the 70's Elvis has been unfairly stereotyped, and so i have always worked to bring his artistic line of work back in to focus. People think that Elvis went downhill from the 1970 onwards, which i think is sad because some of his best work came from this decade. Thats why i talk about the 70s Elvis most, because of the mature and electrifying singer and entertainer he was in that decade. But i listen to all 3.

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:19 pm

[quote="carolynlm"]If Ger has gone for good, then that's sad....He is an asset to this board...and to the Elvis World in general....so what if he got a bit annoyed with you younger blokes....

Carolyn, I wish I was younger. :(

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:27 pm

carolynlm wrote:....it's raining here, so we are all rejoicing.

Rain???? Where???? :smt102 :smt017

Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:04 pm

Bye.
HEy you're leaving ElvisStyle? Your last post was post # 2001... haha I got you :wink: But i WILL MISS YOU WHEN YOURE GONE!
sORRY TO SEE YOURE GONE!

Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:59 pm

Let's hope that Ger's personal disillusionment with how he sees the Elvis world right now will be shortlived and that there will be something to tempt him back to us in the future!

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:32 pm

Kenneth wrote:
Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... hell, at least some of you woke up on this site today!

Really dont give a damn if I dont come across as Mr. spotty clean

here. Grow up!

All the live-versions of That's All Right Mama from 76/77 are better than the Sun studio-version. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't go that far, Kenneth. But I do like the EIC version.

Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Come back Mr. Tallhair!!!Nipper does not let me SLEEP!

Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:24 pm

You gotta come back, Tallhair - I've just been to the dry cleaners to pick up your Gypsy Alpine suit!